Winter Modular Eloquencer Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

pisrecords
Common Wiggler

Re: Winter Modular Eloquencer Sequencer

Post by pisrecords » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:53 pm

anyone testing the new beta firmware ?

ADMIN in latin eurorack group . https://www.facebook.com/groups/906628619403191/

sorry 4 my poor English words.

Sweetfiltersweep
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Please more details. :-)

pisrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by pisrecords » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:03 pm
Please more details. :-)
http://winter-modular.com/community/fir ... /#post-879

ADMIN in latin eurorack group . https://www.facebook.com/groups/906628619403191/

sorry 4 my poor English words.

episod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by episod » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:43 pm

In free play mode, is the EME a suitable midi to CV module for more general purpose use, using the gate and CV outputs on the Eloquencer? For example, if I have a MIDI device on channel 1, another keyboard on channel 2, a sequencer on channel 3 and each are streaming MIDI to the EME, will track 1-3 of the eloquencer directly output equivalent CV? (Or for example, if I ran a multitrack .MID file through my DAW and out to the EME, will it just play each track?)

Reading the manual, I _think_ the answer is "yes" but I'm not sure enough yet to pull the trigger. Thanks!
Reality Technician on Soundcloud // @episod on Twitter

bassnode
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bassnode » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:17 pm

Yeah, you can do that. All monophonic tracks though.

Still Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Still Sound » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Hey Wigglers,

I'd love to use the Eloquencer for it's trigger/CV/Pitch sequencing, but I'd also like to use my RYK M185 and Launch Codes.

How can we do this with the Eloquencer?

Can we have the M185/LC + OSC/drums running into a VCA that is controlled by CV or gate? I think I read there is only 4 gate length options. I'd like to have it stay open for X steps/bars/measures.

Can we perhaps have the Eloquencer send sequenced clock signals to whatever sequencer I want to run? So the M185 would be static, until the Eloquencer told it when to run/stop via clock on/off.

Maybe there's another way to achieve what I'm after?

Thanks for any help guys!

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 am

You can tie several steps but remember is a 16 step sequencer so on a 4*4 it is just one bar unless you use dividors and you get two bars of 8 steps.

Still Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Still Sound » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:03 am

peabreu wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 am
You can tie several steps but remember is a 16 step sequencer so on a 4*4 it is just one bar unless you use dividors and you get two bars of 8 steps.
Ah. Indeed.

It looks like the best way would be to use a track as a clock, if the time between gates is too long.

vasculator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vasculator » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 pm

I just got my EME in the mail. Has another else noticed that the cable to attach it to the module only allows the expander to sit on the left side of the module? It's not long enough to let the expander sit to the right. Any idea where I can purchase a longer replacement?

edit: Winter Modular sorted this out for me with a quickness. Amazing support!
SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:59 am

Can you make pattern length globally?
Let's say I want to repeat all 8 tracks from step 3 to step 14....

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:14 am

Never checked but track by track will take you 10 seconds or less (way less actualy) given the efficient user interface.

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:48 am

Yes.
But I want to control(or CVing(?)) the length dynamically

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:22 am

Well, never tried but read the (very limited) manual but is probably possible using the aux inputs.

_lex
Common Wiggler

Post by _lex » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:46 am

its been a while since i have used my eloquencer. has any new firmware been released that de-couples pattern direction with the clock div/mult?

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:51 pm

How does the Eloquencer compare to the WMD Metreon and other high end modular sequencers?

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:53 am

_lex wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:46 am
its been a while since i have used my eloquencer. has any new firmware been released that de-couples pattern direction with the clock div/mult?
yes

witchbutter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by witchbutter » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:02 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:51 pm
How does the Eloquencer compare to the WMD Metreon and other high end modular sequencers?
Metron has 16 tracks that you can add CV and a separate set of accent tracks to with expanders. Metron has no MIDI expander.

Eloquencer has 8 tracks and the only expander adds midi functionality such that you can use the tracks on a midi outboard device instead of its gate CV pair and you can add a midi controller like a MIDI fighter twister to create variations.

They work very well together if you have both.

bisquick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bisquick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Is there a way to clear all patterns at once? It seems like this is an important feature!

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:05 pm

bisquick wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:11 pm
Is there a way to clear all patterns at once? It seems like this is an important feature!
i think there is but i can't remember.. you can always load an empty pattern as a shortcut.

edit: from the manual
Clear
Clear can be used to delete patterns and tracks. Depending on where you are, this function will take a different action. If you are in any of the step editing modes (CV, Gate, Gate Length or Ratcheting) you will delete the selected track. If you are in Pattern mode you will delete the entire pattern. In both cases partial clear can be done. While holding Function + Clear deselect the parameters you do not wish to remove.
When in Project Mode if you press Function + Clear and hold for at least 1/2 second, you can erase the whole project. You will be asked for a confirmation, use the encoder and its button to choose your option. If you choose “Yes” it will erase the whole project and all of its contents.
When in song mode, ‘Create Part’ and ‘Play Part’, if you press Function + Clear and hold for at least 1/2 second, you can erase the selected part. You will be asked for a confirmation, use the encoder to confirm.

bisquick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bisquick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:44 pm

got it - thanks!
I know that I'm just feature-requesting now, but it'd be nice to selectively clear a range of patterns, similar to queuing them up.

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:26 am

Cool well, as a fan of sequencers and weird noise sources, I am saving up for the Metron or Eloquencer. Another one that looks cool used by panic girl is the FLXS1 Voltage Sequencer but it is sold out and impossible to find right now. I plan to use my Elektron Analog 4 to sequence my first modular system via CV control for the time being. I've done that so far with my Make Noise 0-coast which is fun. I also have a basic Korg SQ-1 sequencer and ordered a new Make Noise 0-ctrl as I love touch sensitive modular gear. I already filled up my first system a Doepfer A100 basic system by adding Borg Filter, Wiard Anti-Oscillator, Batumi LFO and some utility modules so I am good for a year or so to learn how modular and patching works. But from trying out the Erica Synths modules on VCV Rack, these are quite fun as well.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:20 pm

I'm on day 5 of exploring the Eloquencer and finding a lot to love but a lot of frustrations along the way too. I decided to add it as a complement to the metron/voltera set up that I already had which I really loved but found difficult to edit melodies that I'd already programmed. So now eloquencer covers 8 synth voices and metron does 16 tracks of drums and percussion with voltera freed up to program those drum modules.

Anyways, the first problem I ran into was getting the two sequencers to sync up and reset properly. Originally I wanted to use metron as the master for controlling tempo, however I found that eloquencer was one of those unfortunate modules that ends up ahead a 16th note (or one step) when it's sent a reset trigger. Sending a reset from eloquencer to metron wasn't possible either since metron would be receiving a reset signal every measure, and I have some sequences in metron that are 16 measures long. The solution I arrived at was using the Aux out from eloquencer to send a reset when I hit stop. Not an ideal solution, but it gets the job done. I always have the option to hit reset on the metron if they get out of sync for some reason. I'm still using metron's reset out to keep other modules in sync such as voltage block and some clock dividers since that had things working perfectly before.

After figuring out the reset problem I immediately ran into the next problem which is that the setting for the aux output is not global, and needs to be set for each project. Since I was not using the default setting I ended up saving ~30 empty projects with the new Aux setting so I don't forget to do this in the future.

One of my favorite things about eloquencer is the probability settings, and I've been using gate probabilities for pretty much every track I write. I'd really like to be using the CV probabilities but the way this functions doesn't really make sense to me. Ideally I would like to set the probability that a note will be changed to a certain pitch, not to a range of pitches above or below the set note. For example: A programmed C has a 25% chance going up to Eb, 25% chance up to a G, 25% up an octave to a higher C, and 25% chance down an octave to a lower C. Having a 25% chance that the note will be somewhere between say 7 semitones up or down really doesn't help me. An octave, a perfect 5th, or a minor 3rd are intervals that have a much more consonant sound. The difference in sound between a minor second/major second/minor third/major third is HUGE compared to the example I gave above, even though that probability setting would be a small +/-4 semitones. I'm sure someone will suggest I play around with the scale settings to make this work a bit better, which is definitely something I need to explore more. But I was a bit dumbstruck when I saw that changing the scale does not change the notes that show up on the OLED screen when selecting pitch CV. You still need to scroll through each chromatic pitch when changing CV, but depending on the scale that's selected it will just round up or down to the nearest pitch in that scale. I'm really not a fan of this behavior because the main reason I would choose a certain scale is to save myself scrolling time when selecting a pitch in the CV mode. This choice must have something to do with the programming because I can't think of any other reason why this behavior would be the norm. If I set a scale to C maj, the only notes I want to be scrolling through are CDEFGAB.

All this said, I'm definitely finding it easier to write and edit melodies compared to how it works with voltera and metron. Maybe WMD's next firmware update will make it easier to see the pitches you programmed already, but I can't really imagine a way that makes it as easy as it is with eloquencer. My only other gripe with eloquencer is that you can't create really long melodies without chaining patterns together. Metron really has this figured out well - each track has its own independently controllable length (up to 16 bars) and you can easily scroll through the pattern by turning the page knob. My workaround with eloquencer has been to quick chain 8 patterns together and then scroll through them with the func + encoder turn hot key, then write out each track measure by measure. I have no idea how people can visualize longer pieces of music in their head by writing out a one measure pattern for 8 tracks and then chaining those together one by one. I guess more people are used to composing with 1 bar loops, but what if I want to use that loop for 4 bars but have the rhythm of one track change in measure 4? Then I need to duplicate the pattern but change the rhythm for that single track, and then chain 3 instances of pattern 1 followed by 1 instance of pattern 2. Now what if I want to change the pitch of a note in measure 2 on a single track, that'll require a whole new pattern and a whole new chain just to change that one note. So I'd duplicate pattern 1, change the note, then sequence pattern 1, 3, 1, 2. With two tiny changes this is already hard for me to keep straight, and you can see how trying to coordinate 8 tracks of sequences this way can get very confusing very quickly. This is why I've abandoned the workflow of patterns and just stick to pattern A1 = measure 1, A2 = measure 2...etc. At least then I know I'm working with an 8 measure sequence, and I know which pattern is which measure and what the order will always be.

But anyways, I'm still figuring my way around this thing so hopefully it will all become more fluent and I'll work out some tricks to make things easier. If anyone wants to point out something stupid that I'm doing I am all ears!

guitargyro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by guitargyro » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Very excited to have an Eloquencer on its way. Trying to get away once and for all from the sequencers in my M32s, Subharm, DFAMs...

Just curious, can anyone see any reason why I would need the EME if I already have a Pamela’s New Workout w/ the PEXP-1? I don’t expect to use the Elo much for sequencing my Elektron stuff, but...anything else I’d be missing out on? Mainly just curious because I have exactly 6hp open just staring me down...

Azarius
Common Wiggler

Post by Azarius » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:14 pm

guitargyro wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:52 pm
Just curious, can anyone see any reason why I would need the EME if I already have a Pamela’s New Workout w/ the PEXP-1? I don’t expect to use the Elo much for sequencing my Elektron stuff, but...anything else I’d be missing out on? Mainly just curious because I have exactly 6hp open just staring me down...
One of the main reasons to get the EME is to use an external keyboard or other device to record INTO the Eloquencer. I use it to play live on the Arturia Keystep connected (and powered) via the EME and record in sequences much quicker than via the Eloquencer interface alone. Your preferred way to enter in sequences might be different of course, but this is why I got the EME.

One wishlist item for the Eloquencer/EME now that I'm mentioning it would be to record polyphonically where each incoming midi note is recorded to different tracks simultaneously... for recording chords for example.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Azarius wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:14 pm
One of the main reasons to get the EME is to use an external keyboard or other device to record INTO the Eloquencer. I use it to play live on the Arturia Keystep connected (and powered) via the EME and record in sequences much quicker than via the Eloquencer interface alone. Your preferred way to enter in sequences might be different of course, but this is why I got the EME.
The other thing I love about it is the extra buttons- especially the pattern select ones. That said, I do own a little keystep, I really should remind myself how you record into patterns with it, as that's a really nice neat combo.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”