Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:48 am

richie wrote:so what is the circuit board? hdmi out, NSA expanders and USB support?
Oh ha, i forgot about that. I still got to assemble this and check :)

OK, because it is nearly xor-mas i will reveal what this prototype is going to be:

HDMI/Composite output + USB Computer Keyboard

But as usual, it will still take a while and i got to see if all works as i expect.
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Today is my first day with the NerdSEQ and I'm enjoying it so far. However, I'm going to have to ask one of those "slow glide" questions.

Is it possible to have both fast and smooth glide? Using 'GL C' and 'GLCS' FX, I'm able to get something with roughly the timing I'm looking for, but there is audible stepping in the pitch CV. Such zipper artifacts tend to drive me nuts. Is there any way to avoid them while still having a snappy glide?

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:01 am

firestARTer wrote:
richie wrote:so what is the circuit board? hdmi out, NSA expanders and USB support?
Oh ha, i forgot about that. I still got to assemble this and check :)

OK, because it is nearly xor-mas i will reveal what this prototype is going to be:

But as usual, it will still take a while and i got to see if all works as i expect.
USB Keyboard. That have never crossed my mind. Awesome idea.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:22 am

miminashi wrote:Today is my first day with the NerdSEQ and I'm enjoying it so far. However, I'm going to have to ask one of those "slow glide" questions.

Is it possible to have both fast and smooth glide? Using 'GL C' and 'GLCS' FX, I'm able to get something with roughly the timing I'm looking for, but there is audible stepping in the pitch CV. Such zipper artifacts tend to drive me nuts. Is there any way to avoid them while still having a snappy glide?
Hey, this sounds like you got the GLCS (Glide steps) setting too high. The higher the GLCS the higher is the 'quantisation' effect.
To get a snappy glide, use GLCS as low as possible like below 10 and choose your speed then with the normal glide command. You should be able to get snappy ones.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:08 am

firestARTer wrote:Hey, this sounds like you got the GLCS (Glide steps) setting too high. The higher the GLCS the higher is the 'quantisation' effect.
To get a snappy glide, use GLCS as low as possible like below 10 and choose your speed then with the normal glide command. You should be able to get snappy ones.
Yes, I discovered that setting GLS=0x1 and GLCS=0x10 gives me roughly the response I'm after. Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the great module!

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by miminashi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:08 am

Is it possible to configure the duration of the reset period for auto-gate? I have some modules (e.g, VCF303) that will not retrigger with the current setting. I recorded the gate with my ER-301 at 96KHz, and it looks like the gate goes low for only a fraction of a millisecond (maybe 100 microseconds), and the signal does not even reach 0V. A reset period of ~2ms would be a lot better for me, otherwise this feature is not useful for my purposes.

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:44 am

miminashi wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:08 am
Is it possible to configure the duration of the reset period for auto-gate? I have some modules (e.g, VCF303) that will not retrigger with the current setting. I recorded the gate with my ER-301 at 96KHz, and it looks like the gate goes low for only a fraction of a millisecond (maybe 100 microseconds), and the signal does not even reach 0V. A reset period of ~2ms would be a lot better for me, otherwise this feature is not useful for my purposes.
I get inconsistent triggering with auto gate too. A couple modules get triggered only about half the time.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:34 am

ehr wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:44 am
miminashi wrote:
I get inconsistent triggering with auto gate too. A couple modules get triggered only about half the time.
Indeed the trigger goes down (completely) for a fraction of time and goes up again. I will increase the time for that (already on my list). Keep in mind that this is generally to fire a envelope again because here only the note changes. I also found out that not every module reacts on that.
But: This is not a trigger but a gate function you talk about. If you want to trigger something you better use the trigger column and it will always work if you program it well.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:30 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:34 am
But: This is not a trigger but a gate function you talk about. If you want to trigger something you better use the trigger column and it will always work if you program it well.
Unless I'm doing percussion, I'm generally using gates (with sustain) and not triggers. So it's not sufficient for me to simply fire short triggers, I need gates with sustain across multiple steps. I realize it's possible to achieve this by explicitly setting the trigger output high or low (using 0xFE and 0x00), and that method is better for fine control.

Auto-gate is very useful when sketching out rough ideas, since it doesn't require adding or removing rows or shuffling sub-steps around to achieve my most commonly used articulations.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:34 am

miminashi wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:30 pm
Unless I'm doing percussion, I'm generally using gates (with sustain) and not triggers. So it's not sufficient for me to simply fire short triggers, I need gates with sustain across multiple steps. I realize it's possible to achieve this by explicitly setting the trigger output high or low (using 0xFE and 0x00), and that method is better for fine control.

Auto-gate is very useful when sketching out rough ideas, since it doesn't require adding or removing rows or shuffling sub-steps around to achieve my most commonly used articulations.
Yes, the auto-gate is also mainly because that is how all sequencers work. Note ON and somewhere else a Note OFF.
What you can also do is to use the auto-gate but set a trigger at the last step before the new note.
Or if you want a longer 'off' time, then add a delayed gate on the new note.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:08 am

firestARTer wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:34 am
What you can also do is to use the auto-gate but set a trigger at the last step before the new note.
Or if you want a longer 'off' time, then add a delayed gate on the new note.
Cool, thanks for the tips!

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:16 am

Renoise user here.

I received my Nerdseq last month.

I just wanted to mention that the learning curve for Nerdseq is tiny. I am so surprised and impressed how intuitive the button layout and combinations are.

Sometimes when I don't use renoise for a month, I have to review my list of key commands. I am happy to report this was not the case with nerdseq. Also the lack of a querty keyboard doesn't slow me down at all. Shift + arrow seems quick enough to get anywhere. Longest I have to wait is about a second holding shift up to get to the top of modulation value.

Only thing I wish was that there was some key command delete an entire row.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:28 am

Look Mum No Computer did a “create something in 5 minutes” video using it. If I wasn’t MIDI based I think the Nerdseq would be my go to. Functionality wise, aesthetic wise, utility wise, it looks absolutely amazing. Full compositions can be written! That’s one reason I like the flexibility of modular sequencing from a DAW and the expandability of the FH-2, but if for some reason I ever go another route (aka I win the lottery), it’ll be the Nerdseq. ER-301/2 a close second however, having watched a few hours worth of vids on both.

glassofwater
Common Wiggler

Post by glassofwater » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:25 pm

the nerdseq has pretty powerful midi-sequencing now as well :)
making it essentially a 6-track 4-note polyphonic midi sequencer if you want, with CC's and everything

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Cuckcoo recently made a video where he showed recording midi into the nerdseq.

At about 28 min in

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:44 pm

interpolate wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm
Cuckcoo recently made a video where he showed recording midi into the nerdseq.

At about 28 min in

Cuckoo be cool like that

Misk
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Misk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:21 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:48 am
Renoise user too—I'm getting one now. sweet jesus I'm getting one. I can't wait to see what kind of key commands will be possible!

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm

I just got nerdseq and I have question regarding automatic gate.
I get gate working fine when I audition a note by pressing OK button.
my MATHS trig in works fine and it produce envelope.
But when I play the pattern, only the first note produce automatic gate and other notes doesn't generate automatic gate.
Is there option that I can turn on/off automatic gate? I'm on the latest firmware

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm

radar24 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm
But when I play the pattern, only the first note produce automatic gate and other notes doesn't generate automatic gate.
Is there option that I can turn on/off automatic gate? I'm on the latest firmware
I asked about this recently on the xor forum the answer is:

"If you don't want it to autogate, either use the trigger column to overrule it or use KILL000 to ignore it."

So basically, just fill in the trigger column on the steps you want triggers.

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Actually I want to use autogate so I asked why mine doesn't autogate as described in manual and other users' using.

raft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raft » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm

i want to nerdseq for all that tracker nostalgia

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:29 pm

radar24 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:14 pm
Actually I want to use autogate so I asked why mine doesn't autogate as described in manual and other users' using.
this post has a good explanation of what's going on:
firestARTer wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:34 am
ehr wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:44 am
miminashi wrote:
Indeed the trigger goes down (completely) for a fraction of time and goes up again. I will increase the time for that (already on my list). Keep in mind that this is generally to fire a envelope again because here only the note changes. I also found out that not every module reacts on that.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:16 pm

EDIT: saw this was answered 1 comment above :doh:
radar24 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm
I think the autogate is now sending triggers that are too short for most envelope generators. It's not triggering relyable here too. Thomas has this on its list already.
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 am

Thanks for the info in above comments
I have tested more and
when I put [ ] in note area below actual note, auto gate on/off works and looping note triggers my envelope everytime.
however when there is no [ ], trigger happens only once. I don't have oscilloscope so i couldn't test further.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi people of Eurorack :)
I added a new follow-up video to my NerdSeq Review Video Series.

Time to catch up with new features...

NOTE: check the 'NOTE' in the pinned comment under the video

More new features in the following videos

I hope you will find this and future videos useful, especially if you are just looking into it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”