Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

ianski
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by ianski » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks very much for these videos, I haven't watched this one yet but will settle down later, put my feet up, get comfortable and give it a watch.
Cuckoo's video is great as well. It's always interesting to see what other people do with their modules, you can learn so much.
I hadn't tried out tables at all yet but now I "get" them :yay:
Cheers.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:27 am

Something‘s missing? 😳

😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm

I noticed that Novation announced the Launchpad Pro Mk3 at NAMM yesterday. New features include (quoting Novation):

-- Powerful built-in sequencer allows Launchpad Pro [MK3] to control any MIDI synth, sampler or drum machine.
-- Transport controls, tap tempo, Print To Clip and Capture MIDI provides deeper integration with Ableton Live.
-- Eight Custom Modes and the Components editor help to make Launchpad Pro your own.
-- Chord Mode makes it easy to create and perform with sophisticated harmonies.
-- Larger, more expressive pads for a more rewarding playing experience.
-- More compact, more portable and more powerful as a standalone device than ever.
-- USB-C connector with USB powering for standalone use.

While the release is still 1+ months away, it can be preordered from Musician's Friend for US$349.99.

I've been considering picking up a Launchpad Pro to use with my NerdSEQ, so this announcement muddles things. Thomas (@firestARTer), do you anticipate supporting any new features for the Mk3 version, or should I just save my money and get the current version?

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:12 am

radar24 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 am
Thanks for the info in above comments
I have tested more and
when I put [ ] in note area below actual note, auto gate on/off works and looping note triggers my envelope everytime.
however when there is no [ ], trigger happens only once. I don't have oscilloscope so i couldn't test further.
Sorry, i don't get notifications anymore from MW.

What you do explains exactly what i explained. Note off resets the gate.
If you don't reset the gate, it will be the short reset set situation which some modules can't handle.

Autogate means that it sets the note automatically when a note is filled in and no other overrule.
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:22 am

megarat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm
I noticed that Novation announced the Launchpad Pro Mk3 at NAMM yesterday. New features include (quoting Novation):

-- Powerful built-in sequencer allows Launchpad Pro [MK3] to control any MIDI synth, sampler or drum machine.
-- Transport controls, tap tempo, Print To Clip and Capture MIDI provides deeper integration with Ableton Live.
-- Eight Custom Modes and the Components editor help to make Launchpad Pro your own.
-- Chord Mode makes it easy to create and perform with sophisticated harmonies.
-- Larger, more expressive pads for a more rewarding playing experience.
-- More compact, more portable and more powerful as a standalone device than ever.
-- USB-C connector with USB powering for standalone use.

While the release is still 1+ months away, it can be preordered from Musician's Friend for US$349.99.

I've been considering picking up a Launchpad Pro to use with my NerdSEQ, so this announcement muddles things. Thomas (@firestARTer), do you anticipate supporting any new features for the Mk3 version, or should I just save my money and get the current version?
I don't even use LP pro features. There is only one mode i support to be able to control all buttons.
You could benefit of course from all the midi related LP features, but they are not somehow related to the NerdSEQ but more midi features.

There is btw not guarantee at all that it would work. I didn't test it yet, didn't check the specs and i recently got a MK3 mini for testing but it didn't work out of the box. It seems also to work differently than the other versions.
At some point i will get back to the LP stuff and then i can give you all answers. It might take a while...other priorities.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:56 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:22 am
I don't even use LP pro features. There is only one mode i support to be able to control all buttons.
You could benefit of course from all the midi related LP features, but they are not somehow related to the NerdSEQ but more midi features.

There is btw not guarantee at all that it would work. I didn't test it yet, didn't check the specs and i recently got a MK3 mini for testing but it didn't work out of the box. It seems also to work differently than the other versions.
At some point i will get back to the LP stuff and then i can give you all answers. It might take a while...other priorities.
No problem, thanks for the info. I'll probably just pick up a current LP Pro, especially once the price starts to go down.

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:44 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:12 am
radar24 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 am
Thanks for the info in above comments
I have tested more and
when I put [ ] in note area below actual note, auto gate on/off works and looping note triggers my envelope everytime.
however when there is no [ ], trigger happens only once. I don't have oscilloscope so i couldn't test further.
Sorry, i don't get notifications anymore from MW.

What you do explains exactly what i explained. Note off resets the gate.
If you don't reset the gate, it will be the short reset set situation which some modules can't handle.

Autogate means that it sets the note automatically when a note is filled in and no other overrule.
Thanks for your explanation.
I initially thought when new note plays it also burst gate signal too so i wouldn’t need to put note off reset or put trigger sequenced for fast melodic sequence.
But after reading other people’s comments, i guess my maths and other envelopes doesn’t work as expected as some other envelopes with gate input do.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi!

Just wondering: how jammable is the Nerdseq? I’m thinking of features like:

Live transpose (I think this is definitely in there)

Manipulating a pattern beyond recognition then reloading it to ’get back where you were’

Fill patterns or some other method of doing fills

Easy group manipulation of the probabilities in a track

...others? I’m just trying to get a handle on how much you can do on the fly, beyond just, say, adding gates with the built-in keyboard.

Thanks!

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:36 am

joskery wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 pm
Hi!

Yup...either per track or global or global but disallow some tracks to transpose. All also from external CV or midi.

Manipulating a pattern beyond recognition then reloading it to ’get back where you were’

...others? I’m just trying to get a handle on how much you can do on the fly, beyond just, say, adding gates with the built-in keyboard.

Thanks!
>Live transpose (I think this is definitely in there)

Yup...either per track or global or global but disallow some tracks to transpose. All also from external CV or midi.

>Manipulating a pattern beyond recognition then reloading it to ’get back where you were’

You can make a clone on the fly and when you get back you start the old pattern again.

>Fill patterns or some other method of doing fills

Not really advanced at the moment. You can mark stuff and random it for example. Or Fill in triggers and use the edit steps so it fills in an interval.
They are some more tricks and flexible copy+paste functions which could help you to fill stuff. And there is more to come to fill stuff generative.

>Easy group manipulation of the probabilities in a track

Yep, a screen where you can change the probability options in a track easily.
Beyond that:
With the trigger expander you can have euclidean rhythm style input. You can connect a launchpad pro (with the midi expander) to fill in drums easily and start stop different patterns from different tracks (which is of course also possible without launchpad). You probably know that patterns are independend form tracks and so you can easily have different pattern arrangements together. And much more...
I got to say that it is not as jammable as other modules with knobs or buttons for each step. You get loads of other flexibility back for that.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 am

firestARTer wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:36 am
joskery wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 pm
Hi!

Thanks!
>Live transpose (I think this is definitely in there)

>Manipulating a pattern beyond recognition then reloading it to ’get back where you were’

You can make a clone on the fly and when you get back you start the old pattern again.

>Fill patterns or some other method of doing fills

Not really advanced at the moment. You can mark stuff and random it for example. Or Fill in triggers and use the edit steps so it fills in an interval.
They are some more tricks and flexible copy+paste functions which could help you to fill stuff. And there is more to come to fill stuff generative.

>Easy group manipulation of the probabilities in a track

Yep, a screen where you can change the probability options in a track easily.
Beyond that:
With the trigger expander you can have euclidean rhythm style input. You can connect a launchpad pro (with the midi expander) to fill in drums easily and start stop different patterns from different tracks (which is of course also possible without launchpad). You probably know that patterns are independend form tracks and so you can easily have different pattern arrangements together. And much more...
I got to say that it is not as jammable as other modules with knobs or buttons for each step. You get loads of other flexibility back for that.
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer. Just one thing I'd like to follow up with a question: If I clone a pattern, does it become a separate entry in the sequence list, which I then have to delete from the list to not screw up my song structure? Or is cloning something that happens outside the sequence list? (I think I've seen the three terms, copying, duplicating and cloning, used in various 3rd party NerdSeq contexts and I'm not sure if they're different)... Is loading projects, or if that's possible, reloading previous versions of sequences instantaneous and in sync?

For what it's worth – I don't think that quick manipulation of individual note values in steps, for instance, is the most interesting form of 'jammability' – For instance, I love how on the Cirklon you can assign a knob to probability – so that that knob becomes the degree of business within a pattern. I think with sequencers, I tend to go for a 'conductor' approach, as opposed to a 'soloist' approach, if that makes any sense :)

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:29 am

joskery wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 am

For what it's worth – I don't think that quick manipulation of individual note values in steps, for instance, is the most interesting form of 'jammability' – For instance, I love how on the Cirklon you can assign a knob to probability – so that that knob becomes the degree of business within a pattern. I think with sequencers, I tend to go for a 'conductor' approach, as opposed to a 'soloist' approach, if that makes any sense :)

Yes you can do that here aswell. Use a CV input as input for the automator and route it to every probability.
You just need a knob which produces 0 - 10 Volt.

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:42 am

firestARTer wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:29 am
Use a CV input as input for the automator and route it to every probability.
You just need a knob which produces 0 - 10 Volt.
This is awesome! Just tried this! :sb: :sb: :sb:

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:00 am

ianski wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:49 am
Thanks very much for these videos, I haven't watched this one yet but will settle down later, put my feet up, get comfortable and give it a watch.
Cuckoo's video is great as well. It's always interesting to see what other people do with their modules, you can learn so much.
I hadn't tried out tables at all yet but now I "get" them :yay:
Cheers.
Nice one, thanks.
Yes it’s always good to see different users on the same devices 👍
Yes Tables are a lot of fun 👍

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:04 am

If I clone a pattern, does it become a separate entry in the sequence list, which I then have to delete from the list to not screw up my song structure? Or is cloning something that happens outside the sequence list? (I think I've seen the three terms, copying, duplicating and cloning, used in various 3rd party NerdSeq contexts and I'm not sure if they're different)... Is loading projects, or if that's possible, reloading previous versions of sequences instantaneous and in sync?
Actually i just tested what i thought it would do, but it didn't. I though you could clone, change the pattern and use undo in the sequencer screen. But that didn't work after leaving the sequencer screen. So yet, it turns out that you would change the sequencer structure to get back. I will see if i can get the undo function to work still after leaving.

Loading and saving will stop the sequencer, so that is not working.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:09 am

megarat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm
I noticed that Novation announced the Launchpad Pro Mk3 at NAMM yesterday. New features include...:
Does the new MK3 feature the classic round 5 pin din MIDI connector? I was looking into the current (or shall I say older) model (instead of smaller launchpad versions) because with the 5pin connector I should be able to connect it straight into the current NerdSeq MIDI I/O expander.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 pm

SonicVoltage wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:09 am
Does the new MK3 feature the classic round 5 pin din MIDI connector? I was looking into the current (or shall I say older) model (instead of smaller launchpad versions) because with the 5pin connector I should be able to connect it straight into the current NerdSeq MIDI I/O expander.
From what I read, the situation is the same with the current/old Launchpad Pro and the new/current Mk3 LP Pros: they have 1/8" mini-MIDI connectors to cut down on space, but include DIN adaptors/dongles, which will connect to any standard MIDI ports (such as those on the NerdSEQ MIDI I/O expander). Thus you shouldn't have any problems getting the new LP Pro to work with the NerdSEQ.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:57 pm

megarat wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 pm
SonicVoltage wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:09 am
From what I read, the situation is the same with the current/old Launchpad Pro and the new/current Mk3 LP Pros: they have 1/8" mini-MIDI connectors to cut down on space, but include DIN adaptors/dongles, which will connect to any standard MIDI ports (such as those on the NerdSEQ MIDI I/O expander). Thus you shouldn't have any problems getting the new LP Pro to work with the NerdSEQ.
Generally i expect it to work, but maybe not out of the box as with the PRO. I have the MK3 mini and it didn’t work out of the box like the others. And it seems that there is a new mode you got to set it in all the time.
So if you want to go directly, use the older pro. It contains the standard midi cable adapters.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:01 pm

A silly question: how clicky are the buttons? Most of my sequencing happens at home with my family fast asleep :)

Another option would be the possible usb keyboard...

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:59 pm

joskery wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:01 pm
A silly question: how clicky are the buttons? Most of my sequencing happens at home with my family fast asleep :)

Another option would be the possible usb keyboard...
They definitely click. But mainly i hear much harder when recording a video with a phone; it is ok when normal using but it is not silent.

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 am

after reading a thread regarding vector sequencer and other ones, Does Nerdseq also have CV and trig/gate having delayed timing difference? This is just pure curiosity. I'd like to check myself but don't have mordax data or other analyzer.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:54 am

radar24 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 am
after reading a thread regarding vector sequencer and other ones, Does Nerdseq also have CV and trig/gate having delayed timing difference? This is just pure curiosity. I'd like to check myself but don't have mordax data or other analyzer.
Just not 100% sure what you mean. But functionally the trigger comes directly when the CV is stable which is in timings of microseconds.
And to allow compatibility to other modules who are not that fast in reading CV but see the trigger already, every trigger can be delayed automatically for each output in ranges of milliseconds. This was neccessary for some modules.
And if thats not what you mean, you can have different delayed gates/triggers to get some 'human touch'.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:44 am

Yeah, that was the conversation. On the Vector, Cv values slew ever so slightly, wreaking havoc on modules that ’snapshot’ cv values at the moment of the gate.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:48 am

joskery wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:44 am
Yeah, that was the conversation. On the Vector, Cv values slew ever so slightly, wreaking havoc on modules that ’snapshot’ cv values at the moment of the gate.
Yep. No slew here and still the possibility to correct so it works with all.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm

The triggering on MIDI tracks is something I'm trying to wrap my head around...

Can the MIDI tracks be set to ratchet? Apparently they don't have the 'trig' lane, where retriggers are?

Also, I think this might be a bug: Inserting a NOTE 1 probability of 00 to a midi note makes it trigger every time. Can anyone reproduce this, or am I overlooking something?

ehr
Common Wiggler

Post by ehr » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:43 pm

joskery wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm
The triggering on MIDI tracks is something I'm trying to wrap my head around...

Can the MIDI tracks be set to ratchet? Apparently they don't have the 'trig' lane, where retriggers are?

Also, I think this might be a bug: Inserting a NOTE 1 probability of 00 to a midi note makes it trigger every time. Can anyone reproduce this, or am I overlooking something?
I'm pretty sure using 00 note probability turns the probability effect off so that is why it is triggering every time.

edit: just checked and yeah probability values of 00 and 64 turn it off. So 01=01% and 63=99%

Return to “Eurorack Modules”