Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

skylab001
Common Wiggler

Post by skylab001 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:52 am

Has anybody tried using one of the USB only Launchpads like the mini mk2/mk3 or the X through a USB host interface like the iconnectivity mio’s and route it directly to the Nerdseq? Just curious if this would work?

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:10 pm

I have a More Triggers en route from Perfect Circuit and am planning out my case, but I have a quick question—

Does the More Triggers require its own power? Or is it powered through its connection to the NerdSeq?

Thanks!

skylab001
Common Wiggler

Post by skylab001 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:38 am

More triggers plugs into the Nerdseq expanders port. No power connection required.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:14 am

Thank you!

Accent
Common Wiggler

Post by Accent » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:23 pm

To follow up on my earlier post, I did get the Launchpad Pro working with the NerdSEQ. What wasn’t obvious to me (and may not be obvious to others) is that the LP Pro needs to be in “Live” mode, by holding the setup button on the Launchpad and pressing the green pad in the top left of the grid. Since the LP Pro automatically defaults to “Notes” mode if Ableton Live isn’t present, this wasn’t obvious without checking the LP manual.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:43 am

Another quick question re: More Triggers —
Is the smallest note division of the drum grid 16th notes? Would I have to go back to the sequence page for divisions smaller than a 16th note?

Thanks!

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:55 pm

You can clock multiply/divide on any track in Nerdseq, so you can easily *2 for 32nd note divisions etc!

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:00 pm

By Jove*, you’re right! Forgot about the clock divider on the last firmware update! Thanks!

More Triggers arrived today, did a total rack re org. It looks very serious/badass next to the NerdSeq. :)

*The filter, not the Roman god.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:28 am

Accent wrote:To follow up on my earlier post, I did get the Launchpad Pro working with the NerdSEQ. What wasn’t obvious to me (and may not be obvious to others) is that the LP Pro needs to be in “Live” mode, by holding the setup button on the Launchpad and pressing the green pad in the top left of the grid. Since the LP Pro automatically defaults to “Notes” mode if Ableton Live isn’t present, this wasn’t obvious without checking the LP manual.
Hey there,

sorry for not replying earlier. MW is not really reliable with notifications to me and i was on the road, so i didn't check MW if there were any updates. Support stuff is the best one on the XOR Forum anyway.

As for the Launchpad PRO description. I still don't own a LP Pro myself and can only lean on user information on this. So i don't know in which mode it is on startup or if you can change it (and how??). Thats the reason why there is nothing in the manual, but thats also a thing of the LP manual.
I assumed it would startup in the same mode as the LP MK2 and Mini.

I am actually sending a command to the launchpad which might set it to the needed mode. But that is something i need to test myself of course.

I get a LP Pro soon and will see if it needs more information for a quickstart in the NerdSEQ manual. And i will check then as well if the command doesn't work or need to be changed, so it will be automatically set to the mode.
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:29 am

skylab001 wrote:Has anybody tried using one of the USB only Launchpads like the mini mk2/mk3 or the X through a USB host interface like the iconnectivity mio’s and route it directly to the Nerdseq? Just curious if this would work?
It's up to you to test it if it works that way. If it has a USB Host, recognizes the LP well and sends and receives Midi on the other side, it should work.

Catflap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Catflap » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:42 am

The latest firmware is great! Having lots of fun with the more triggers expander
Can you mute more than one trigger channel at the same time?

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:02 am

Catflap wrote:The latest firmware is great! Having lots of fun with the more triggers expander
Can you mute more than one trigger channel at the same time?
You could if you would have 16 buttons....
But like this you can only mute them one by one. Or when using the launchpad, you can mute up to 8 at the same time.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Good morning, everyone. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find this addressed in any documentation.

I'm in the processing of building up a new rack, and I'm strongly considering a Nerdseq with the MIDI/controller breakout expansion, designed for use with the Sega Genesis controller. My questions are:

-- The Sega Genesis controller was designed around the 9-pin D-connector "standard" employed by a number of game controller manufacturers back in the '80s. E.g., Atari 2600/7800, Atari 8-bit systems and 16-bit (ST) systems, Commodore Vic-20/64/128, MSX, etc. I assume these other types of joysticks will work with the Nerdseq expander as well? (Noting, of course, that most of these controllers have only one button, which maps to the "B" button on the Sega Genesis controller.) And if so, can the Nerdseq work with any other types of controllers? (Atari paddle controllers, keypads, etc.)

-- As far as I know, Sega Genesis controllers come in two flavors: they all have the directional pad and the "Start" button, but one flavor has three buttons on the right side, while the other has six buttons. Does the Nerdseq support all of the buttons on the six-button controller?

Thank you.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:38 pm

megarat wrote:Good morning, everyone. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find this addressed in any documentation.

I'm in the processing of building up a new rack, and I'm strongly considering a Nerdseq with the MIDI/controller breakout expansion, designed for use with the Sega Genesis controller. My questions are:

-- The Sega Genesis controller was designed around the 9-pin D-connector "standard" employed by a number of game controller manufacturers back in the '80s. E.g., Atari 2600/7800, Atari 8-bit systems and 16-bit (ST) systems, Commodore Vic-20/64/128, MSX, etc. I assume these other types of joysticks will work with the Nerdseq expander as well? (Noting, of course, that most of these controllers have only one button, which maps to the "B" button on the Sega Genesis controller.) And if so, can the Nerdseq work with any other types of controllers? (Atari paddle controllers, keypads, etc.)

-- As far as I know, Sega Genesis controllers come in two flavors: they all have the directional pad and the "Start" button, but one flavor has three buttons on the right side, while the other has six buttons. Does the Nerdseq support all of the buttons on the six-button controller?

Thank you.
Hey, so i assume the other 'standard' joysticks should work as well, but as you mentioned, they have mostly only one button and you would end up in only navigation and one button.
Currently and futurewise the sega gamepad is the best option. Right now the 3 buttons + start are mapped to the NerdSEQ buttons. I will implement also the 6 button version, so it makes sense to go for that. From them all buttons will be free configurable to the NerdSEQ buttons. Right now it's hardcoded to the most basic functions.
Paddles etc will ot be supported as these use analogue signals.

codabass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by codabass » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:39 pm

this is cool

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 pm

firestARTer wrote:Hey, so i assume the other 'standard' joysticks should work as well, but as you mentioned, they have mostly only one button and you would end up in only navigation and one button.
Currently and futurewise the sega gamepad is the best option. Right now the 3 buttons + start are mapped to the NerdSEQ buttons. I will implement also the 6 button version, so it makes sense to go for that. From them all buttons will be free configurable to the NerdSEQ buttons. Right now it's hardcoded to the most basic functions.
Paddles etc will ot be supported as these use analogue signals.
Excellent, thank you for the detailed response, it's much appreciated.

Stides
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stides » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:30 am

Can a track be setup to trigger a midi sampler like an akai s5000? I’d like to use it for drums via midi expander, but since the trigger expander is required to use the drumatrix am I to assume midi is really only used for note info?

I’d like to essentially use the midimatrix with the s5000. :hmm:

chapelier fou
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:07 am

I’ve asked for a drum matrix in midi tracks, hopefully it wil’ Exist some day !

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:14 am

It appears that everything is 25% for black friday if ordered directly from https://xor-electronics.com/

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:26 am

interpolate wrote:It appears that everything is 25% for black friday if ordered directly from https://xor-electronics.com/
I am now a few hundred quid poorer than I was 10 minutes ago. And it's all your fault. I hope you can live with the guilt!

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:40 pm

colb wrote:
interpolate wrote:It appears that everything is 25% for black friday if ordered directly from https://xor-electronics.com/
I am now a few hundred quid poorer than I was 10 minutes ago. And it's all your fault. I hope you can live with the guilt!
Me too. We can be broke hex masters together :nana: :banana:

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:24 am

so since i ordered my second nerdseq i need to get my transpose game going :-D

how do you guys transpose? as there are many ways i wonder wich is the fastest?

i copy / paste my old pattern and insert a patch where i change the base note in the patch menu

is there another faster way?
and read on the xor forum, how does the live transpose work? could not find anything on that :hmm:

sendepause
Common Wiggler

Post by sendepause » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:37 am

Dennis wrote:so since i ordered my second nerdseq i need to get my transpose game going :-D

how do you guys transpose? as there are many ways i wonder wich is the fastest?

i copy / paste my old pattern and insert a patch where i change the base note in the patch menu

is there another faster way?
and read on the xor forum, how does the live transpose work? could not find anything on that :hmm:

You can transpose a track in sequencer view: select patch and press shift+nerd. You get a menu where you can select transpose.
You mean something like that?

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:53 am

sendepause wrote: You can transpose a track in sequencer view: select patch and press shift+nerd. You get a menu where you can select transpose.
You mean something like that?
Shift+Mark, Shift+Nerd will get you to a transpose page, but it’s only +/-12 and +/-1 semitones, which I suppose is 99% of all transposition done in sequencing anyway. :)
Otherwise, you should know your intervals in semitones prior to transposing.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Any hint?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”