Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Shakespeare » Sat May 16, 2020 9:06 pm

Oddball question: does anyone know exactly what the knob on Pam's is? I'd like to swap mine out for a white one, but don't know what to look for.

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am

Looks like they are from this serie : https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/sifam-classic-black/
But size seems to be between small and large ones, maybe this model : http://www.sifam.co.uk/knobDetails.asp? ... N150%20250
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 am

Is there anyway to reduce the hold time for sub menus? I really don't mind the menu diving but it seems so slow, the one press for highlighting basic channel division is really snappy and quick. I wish the hold click was only like 0.5 seconds or less, is it something like 1-2 seconds at the moment? I like to edit quick, it should be an option in global menu.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm
The new firmware for Pamela gave me back most of what I loved about Marbles! Thanks, ALM!
Now Pam is a generative aerobic workout in 8HP!!!
This track uses two channels per voice - 4 channels total.

Along with the Euclidean patterns - you could do generative sequencing of 4 voices for hours... or two voices and some drum triggering. At 8HP, Pam is easily one of the best bang for your $$$ and HP in Eurorack.
Yes! This is exactly why I ordered my 2nd Pam's after the update was released. BTW, your example sounds fantastic!

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm

subLimb wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 pm
studioutopia wrote:
The new firmware for Pamela gave me back most of what I loved about Marbles! Thanks, ALM!
Now Pam is a generative aerobic workout in 8HP!!!

Along with the Euclidean patterns - you could do generative sequencing of 4 voices for hours... or two voices and some drum triggering. At 8HP, Pam is easily one of the best bang for your $$$ and HP in Eurorack.
Yes! This is exactly why I ordered my 2nd Pam's after the update was released. BTW, your example sounds fantastic!
Thanks!!!!

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Mon May 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Finally getting Pamela's New Workout with the Din sync adapter cable for my A4. Cannot wait!

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 am

lordymosh wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:54 pm
Finally getting Pamela's New Workout with the Din sync adapter cable for my A4. Cannot wait!
Tis the job!

technocalypse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by technocalypse » Wed May 20, 2020 2:35 am

Hi,

So following all the instructions to use the updater app on OSX, it says update complete, but the firmware remains the same. It even says update complete when I run the app without PNW even plugged in.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

I'm running OSX 10.12.06, and have the correct REV file and usb cable.

Cheers.

gian77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gian77 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 am

lordymosh wrote:
Works great !
I use it with a Digitakt (DT > PNW > Marbles), all is starting together when I hit the DT play button :tu:
Every next day is modernity ! >d[+_+]b<

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 am

gian77 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 am
lordymosh wrote:
Works great !
I use it with a Digitakt (DT > PNW > Marbles), all is starting together when I hit the DT play button :tu:
Perfect! Exactly what I needed to hear. Its coming tomorrow. :hyper:

Gonna use to clock my Batumi and Kermit mk3 as well.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu May 21, 2020 12:25 am

Are there any plans for a sequel to this module? It's so good already, but imagine if it had 16 outputs and more CV control, internal channel routing with logic/resets, randomly slewed stepped random, quantised output, a slightly more generous UI (two knobs?) etc... It would spell doom for many other sequencers. The sequencing concept/workflow it brings is so fast and powerful...

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu May 21, 2020 12:26 am

Could be called Pamela's HQ

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Thu May 21, 2020 6:28 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:26 am
Could be called Pamela's HQ
Pamela's Gymnasium

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 am

It it possibly to set gate outputs synced to a 16 step sequencer?

For example I sequence my VCO with the cv track on A4. Could I configure one gate output from Pam's to fire off a gate to FM input on VCO to be in sync with a particular step on my sequence. Meaning the gate only fires every 15th step?

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 am

gian77 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 am
Works great !
I've even had good luck clocking from DT -> Yarns -> PNW -> Marbles (CARA), everything starts right when I click play and stays there, I even have the DT hooked up to my DAW as well, so my DAW starts playing too... And with this new update for PNW, oh man am I juiced up!

Looking back at this post... so many acronyms :lol:
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

ALM_Zach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ALM_Zach » Thu May 21, 2020 9:17 am

For anyone who needs help with the Pam's firmware update we have just put up videos detailing the process for Mac and PC.

Mac:

PC:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm

my .rar is still available too...
bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 pm
Here's a .rar with all the files you need to make the update.. I created a .bat file called "run.bat" to execute the update, so you just click it and it will update the module. It should be extracted to the root of C:\ (so C:\pam.. and no you don't need to create the folder "pam", then you will get pam/pam and that will not work.) you need e.g winrar to extract the content.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwmctivnfog9slf/pam.rar?dl=0

The .bin here is the one for "lower than 'Rev 62'" replace with the other one if needed..

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm

gelabs wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am
Looks like they are from this serie : https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/sifam-classic-black/
But size seems to be between small and large ones, maybe this model : http://www.sifam.co.uk/knobDetails.asp? ... N150%20250
Can anyone confirm which knob size is used? Also, does anyone know where I can find the yellow button in white?

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Thu May 21, 2020 5:53 pm

After using this module for an hour, what was I thinking not getting this sooner. :doh:

Clock and run outputs from the din sync midi cable works perfectly from the A4. The module is already clocking my Kermit mk3 and batumi flawlessly. It's been so much fun sending gates with different divisions and multiplications to different inputs on the BIA while I have a 3 step gate pattern looping from the A4 to the BIA. :hihi:

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Sat May 23, 2020 12:41 am

xcc wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 am
ALM wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am
Unrelated question: is there any way to smooth the edges of the random waveform without an external slew module? I'm hoping to replicate a Wogglebug type random waveform. If not, would this be at all possible as a future option?
I know it might not be entirely what you were looking for, but this might provide a similar effect:

Have one channel be a regular LFO with something like the LEVEL amount or rate of div/mult set to one of the CV inputs.
Have a second channel be the stepped random with the output going to the CV input to influence the parameter of the first channel LFO.
You could go even further and set the second CV input to influence another parameter of the LFO.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 am

I've always thought Pamela's Workout was a funny name, but I was just watching the LEDs move around and it looks like it's doing an exercise routine (PS I'm hella stoned).

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 am

synkrotron wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:37 pm
studioutopia wrote:
Nice :)

I still haven't taken time out to check what came with the update... I really must remedy that :mrgreen:
I agree! Sounds lovely! I've got a backlog of diy stuff I was planning on building this weekend.... But if I start digging into new Pam's features it will never happen. :doh: And from the sounds of the patch demos nothing else I planned will happen either...like eating or sleeping. Damn you Pam! :help:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat May 23, 2020 8:32 am

apcuddling wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:41 am
xcc wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 am
ALM wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am
Unrelated question: is there any way to smooth the edges of the random waveform without an external slew module? I'm hoping to replicate a Wogglebug type random waveform. If not, would this be at all possible as a future option?
I know it might not be entirely what you were looking for, but this might provide a similar effect:

Have one channel be a regular LFO with something like the LEVEL amount or rate of div/mult set to one of the CV inputs.
Have a second channel be the stepped random with the output going to the CV input to influence the parameter of the first channel LFO.
You could go even further and set the second CV input to influence another parameter of the LFO.
Oh that’s a good idea, thanks. Gonna try that as soon as Pamela wakes up.

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stoneyards » Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

The new firmware and the quantizer in particular has got me falling in love with Pam all over again!

By the way, for those who replace Pam's faceplate and - ahem- accidentally torque down the jack nuts too much: They will break. I had a jack sleeve pop right off along with the nut. It was an easy fix though (they're standard thonkiconn).

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm

Stoneyards wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm
The new firmware and the quantizer in particular has got me falling in love with Pam all over again!

By the way, for those who replace Pam's faceplate and - ahem- accidentally torque down the jack nuts too much: They will break. I had a jack sleeve pop right off along with the nut. It was an easy fix though (they're standard thonkiconn).
You sound like someone who can answer the question as to what size replacement knob/button to order from Thonk. Care to share? :D

Return to “Eurorack Modules”