Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
apfEID
electro-vivisection
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Nyack

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by apfEID » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm

ModusOp wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 am
Can someone please tell me if the smooth random is AC or DC? I want to invert it outside of Pam’s but not sure if I need to offset it too.

AC vs DC is just a measure of how slowly a signal is changing. If it's able to stay above or below 0v for the duration required for an envelope or lfo, it's DC. AC means it's always moving.

Inputs/outputs that aren't DC coupled will drop any offset when the signal drops below a certain frequency. I don't remember the exact cut off but if you're using a signal that's slow enough for an LFO or a sequence (where it is effectively stationary during each step), those won't pass through, unless mixed into a moving AC signal as well, where it will manifest as "DC Offset" which you can see in a waveform, if for example you sum a DC 1v with a 40hz tone -2 to 2v tone, you'll see the 40hz tone is oscillating around 1v instead of 0 even if you recorded it with something that's only AC coupled. But if you stop the 40hz tone, the 1v will also disappear because it's DC and is filtered out. AC is basically high pass filtered somewhere under 20hz so you don't hear anything below the lowest bass you can hear as a tone.

so, Pam's is definitely outputting DC when slow envelopes are involved. But it's all unipolar from 0 up, so if you want bipolar movement you need to offset it and then probably scale as well.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 am
Location: A2/MI/US

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by ModusOp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:10 pm

apfEID wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm
ModusOp wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 am
Can someone please tell me if the smooth random is AC or DC? I want to invert it outside of Pam’s but not sure if I need to offset it too.

AC vs DC is just a measure of how slowly a signal is changing. If it's able to stay above or below 0v for the duration required for an envelope or lfo, it's DC. AC means it's always moving.

Inputs/outputs that aren't DC coupled will drop any offset when the signal drops below a certain frequency. I don't remember the exact cut off but if you're using a signal that's slow enough for an LFO or a sequence (where it is effectively stationary during each step), those won't pass through, unless mixed into a moving AC signal as well, where it will manifest as "DC Offset" which you can see in a waveform, if for example you sum a DC 1v with a 40hz tone -2 to 2v tone, you'll see the 40hz tone is oscillating around 1v instead of 0 even if you recorded it with something that's only AC coupled. But if you stop the 40hz tone, the 1v will also disappear because it's DC and is filtered out. AC is basically high pass filtered somewhere under 20hz so you don't hear anything below the lowest bass you can hear as a tone.

so, Pam's is definitely outputting DC when slow envelopes are involved. But it's all unipolar from 0 up, so if you want bipolar movement you need to offset it and then probably scale as well.
Interesting! So I don’t necessarily want bipolar movement, I don’t think.

I’m just looking to take two slow fluctuating random signals from Pam’s to make the ol’ Krell patch happen (going to the attack of one cycling envelope and the decay of another, then those to a third cycling envelope’s attack and decay), but then take those same two fluctuating random signals and invert them to create a second pair of cycling envelopes that would go to yet another cycling envelope that will in theory speed up when the other slows down... if that makes sense.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:56 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:54 pm
ALM wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 am
I think its always worked like this... what firmware were you on previously and was behaviour different ?
I don't think I've ever used RUN to reset before - I've always used PAM & RUN Y with an external clock. I'm now using PAM as the clock source so out of all the options, using RUN as a RESET seems to be quite useful.

I'll try again with other channels to see if Skip seems to work as expected (ie: % random) or if it starts to predictively repeat itself when a RESET trig is received.
I tried this again today. I started by resetting the Bank so all channels are synced and running x1. On Track 1 I set to Skip to 90% and then on Track 2 I send a trig to the Run input which is set to reset. Track 2 is running at x8 so there's 'air time' before the reset trig.

So a simple set up - and yeah, it does the same thing, Track 1 seems to always send a trigger at the same beat shortly after the reset is received. It's like Loop is switched on, but it's not.

Hopefully that helps clarify it. :tu:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

54731
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:10 am
Location: Finland

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by 54731 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Hey guys, I have a question: are there any black replacement faceplates for Pamela´s New Workout on sale anywhere, or do you know someone who makes them? There used to be BKM Panels, but they are not operating anymore and I missed the train. Pamela is the only silver faceplate module in my performance case and I´d love to have it all black. :help: I know there was a limited edition sale for a black-faceplate unit whit red LEDs, but I won´t be buying a new module just for the looks.

Nevertheless, Pamela´s New Workout always has a place in my rack. :love:
Haste makes waste.

User avatar
ALM_Zach
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 am

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by ALM_Zach » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:19 pm

Multiple people caught a mistake in our Pamela's PC Firmware Update video. When recording we forgot to change 'dfu-util' to match the 'dfu-util-static' binary file that is downloaded earlier in the video. Please make sure the file and name match! We have updated the video to point out the mistake and re-uploaded it to Youtube.

Our apologies for any confusion this may have caused. :doh:


User avatar
Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:21 pm

Phew, I feared it was another update, requiring me to remember where I put my mini-USB cable. Yep, caught and corrected that, but it's nice that you've updated the video for people who find the slightly fiddly process intimidating ;)

User avatar
Migrigsynth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Migrigsynth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Is anybody having a problem with Pamela’s not being able to sense external clock input? I just upgraded to 206 and the clock input will not function.

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by BaloErets » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Migrigsynth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm
Is anybody having a problem with Pamela’s not being able to sense external clock input? I just upgraded to 206 and the clock input will not function.
Not on my side. Using the current firmware and had the clock input synced up just yesterday without any issues. What are you using as a clock to send to Pams?

User avatar
tdallas
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by tdallas » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 am

Migrigsynth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm
Is anybody having a problem with Pamela’s not being able to sense external clock input? I just upgraded to 206 and the clock input will not function.
Mine is working fine with external clock inputs on 206. Have you tried to do a global reset after the upgrade? Maybe it is waiting for an additional run signal?

User avatar
Thedoge
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Thedoge » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:48 pm

Migrigsynth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm
Is anybody having a problem with Pamela’s not being able to sense external clock input? I just upgraded to 206 and the clock input will not function.
I'm experiencing the same, I'm sending clock signal from a westlicht performer as well as from a batumi and it says unstable all the time :bang:

edit: sorry, forgot to set PPQN to 04, it's working fine here too :yay:

User avatar
honeysmack
Common Wiggler
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:23 am
Location: Acid Planet
Contact:

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by honeysmack » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:05 pm

anyone having a problem with their website - comes up blank in Chrome and Safari on my Mac?

User avatar
megarat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by megarat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 pm

honeysmack wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:05 pm
anyone having a problem with their website - comes up blank in Chrome and Safari on my Mac?
ALM’s web site comes up fine for me with Safari on my iPad.

User avatar
Migrigsynth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Migrigsynth » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:38 am

BaloErets wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:31 pm
Migrigsynth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm
Is anybody having a problem with Pamela’s not being able to sense external clock input? I just upgraded to 206 and the clock input will not function.
Not on my side. Using the current firmware and had the clock input synced up just yesterday without any issues. What are you using as a clock to send to Pams?
I’m using Stages as a clock input. I’m coming from logic/REM interface into Stages and then out of stages in to Pamela‘s. When I initially started trying to clock Pamela‘s externally i used logic directly into Pamela’s and I would never get a consistent tempo. It would always be very erratic so I eventually went to the intermediate step of going into Stages.

User avatar
Migrigsynth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Migrigsynth » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:41 am

tdallas wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 am
Migrigsynth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm
Is anybody having a problem with Pamela’s not being able to sense external clock input? I just upgraded to 206 and the clock input will not function.
Mine is working fine with external clock inputs on 206. Have you tried to do a global reset after the upgrade? Maybe it is waiting for an additional run signal?
I have not tried that yet but I will.

User avatar
Migrigsynth
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Migrigsynth » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06 am

Oops! Rookie move. I had the “run” screen set to “yes” ! 😁 thanks for the suggestions guys I appreciate it.👍

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”