Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by gelabs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 am

:tu:
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm having issues with PNW keeping time with my Octatrack. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to bring a clock into my rack currently so I have both PNW set to 120bpm and my Octatrack is also set to 120bpm. But, when I play both in sync PNW slowly drifts out of phase and back in phase on the next beat over the course of ~15 seconds.

I know the Octatrack is rock solid when it comes to midi timing so I'm concluding that PNW is not running at 120bpm even though the display says it is.

Is there anyway I can get this to work a bit better? I know it's not ideal, but I do expect better sync than what I'm getting via this ghetto method.

Ta. X
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 pm

umm, so you're just starting them at the same time manually and hope it will work because both are at 120BPM? you will obviously get drifting, you can't do it manually like that.

also you don't have "sync", it's not what doing something like that is. you have a very poor attempt at sync, at best.

You have 2 latencies (at least) here: you trying to hit the buttons at the same time, you also have no idea what the latency of the hardware buttons are on these devices. On PC keyboards for example it can vary a lot, people spend many hundreds of dollars to get keyboards with close to zero latency. Maybe a bad one have 400ms latency, the other have 5ms..

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Is there anyway I can get this to work a bit better? I know it's not ideal, but I do expect better sync than what I'm getting via this ghetto method.

Ta. X
No, it will never ever sync proprely like this. You have to have a clock from one unit to the other. Probably the ALM expander https://busycircuits.com/alm017-ex/ is the cheaper solution. Or you get a MIDI-to-CV module that takes MIDI in and gives you a clock for your Eurorack case. Only then you will have both systems running in time together.

ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:35 am

Just take a sample of a trig pulse as described in this video and run it out of one of the OT’s 4 outputs into Pam’s Clock input to test.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 pm

ModusOp wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:35 am
Just take a sample of a trig pulse as described in this video and run it out of one of the OT’s 4 outputs into Pam’s Clock input to test.
Thanks - I tried this but PNW doesn't seem to like it. The panel seems to work correctly but the display says 'unstable' and holds at 300bpm regardless of actual BPM.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:29 pm

After searching 'drift' within this thread I got the information I needed. Thanks all.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 pm

When using PNW as a quantizer do I simply tune my oscillator to C4? Or do I need to tune it to match the root note for each scale?

Im curious which scale in particular the Japanese one is.

Also is there a way to set the range of the scale and play certain notes using a CV output from a sequencer?

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:20 pm

stylesforfree wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 pm
When using PNW as a quantizer do I simply tune my oscillator to C4? Or do I need to tune it to match the root note for each scale?

Also is there a way to set the range of the scale and play certain notes using a CV output from a sequencer?
You'll want to tune to the root of whatever scale you're in at the time.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:59 pm

xcc wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:20 pm
stylesforfree wrote:

Cool, im guessing that the Japanese scale is the In Scale that was used in the Sakura Sakura song, as that's the most well known Japanese scale.

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:31 pm

stylesforfree wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:59 pm
xcc wrote:
stylesforfree wrote:

Cool, im guessing that the Japanese scale is the In Scale that was used in the Sakura Sakura song, as that's the most well known Japanese scale.
Hmm... I'm not sure, but you might want to check out this page for guidance:
https://www.pianoscales.org/japanese-in-sen.html
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:12 pm

circuitburst wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:31 pm
stylesforfree wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:59 pm
xcc wrote:
stylesforfree wrote:

Hmm... I'm not sure, but you might want to check out this page for guidance:
https://www.pianoscales.org/japanese-in-sen.html
Ah thank you so much!

carlotter
Common Wiggler

Post by carlotter » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:39 am

Quick question, if I only use smooth random and burst out of the MN Wogglebug v2, can I re-create that functionality with PNW? I think I can do smooth random and then use loops to "make it less random" but is there a way to do "burst"?
I guess I would need something which only triggers past a certain random threshold, but I don't know whether this is possible within the module itself?

tldr; wondering if I could get rid of Wogglebug, as I only use a small part of its functionality.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:15 am

carlotter wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:39 am
Quick question, if I only use smooth random and burst out of the MN Wogglebug v2, can I re-create that functionality with PNW? I think I can do smooth random and then use loops to "make it less random" but is there a way to do "burst"?
I guess I would need something which only triggers past a certain random threshold, but I don't know whether this is possible within the module itself?

tldr; wondering if I could get rid of Wogglebug, as I only use a small part of its functionality.
I haven't tried this but you could try use CV to control RSkip or maybe even ETrig if you're looking for more predictable bursts?
There is also logic functions in Pam now too so you could use some AND logic between two channels?

carlotter
Common Wiggler

Post by carlotter » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:14 am

Good shout on RSkip!

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:56 am

Been wondering if there’s a way triggering CV events from PNW with external trigger.

Using CV on level doesn’t really get me there. I would love PNW to have a trigger input function.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Michaalhell wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:56 am
Been wondering if there’s a way triggering CV events from PNW with external trigger.

Using CV on level doesn’t really get me there. I would love PNW to have a trigger input function.
I haven’t tried this yet, but configuring Pam to run from an external clock and then supplying your own clock pulses from an external trigger sounds like it should work.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:27 am

blown away by my recently purchased pams but could anyone tell me please where to find the 'logic' menu?
cannot find it at all, and i believe i'm running the latest firmware (since i have the quantizer). thanks !

plytheman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plytheman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:36 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:27 am
blown away by my recently purchased pams but could anyone tell me please where to find the 'logic' menu?
cannot find it at all, and i believe i'm running the latest firmware (since i have the quantizer). thanks !
207 is the latest, so that could be a few versions after Quant was introduced. Hold the Program button in when powering up and it'll say at the top of the screen. If you're on Win10, this post from earlier in the thread has been my guide to update. Just be sure to adjust the version number in the file from the linked post to the 207 version. Have fun!

As for bursts, I've had some luck using Euclidean Triggers set to CV1. Not exactly one-off bursts but gives a variable amount of gates each time depending what you're feeding into the CV.

carlotter
Common Wiggler

Post by carlotter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:55 am

As for bursts, I've had some luck using Euclidean Triggers set to CV1. Not exactly one-off bursts but gives a variable amount of gates each time depending what you're feeding into the CV
Good idea, could mult the random out and feed it to CV1

Daduk
Common Wiggler

Post by Daduk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Guys, is the minor scale ("mi") a Melodic Minor (descending) one? It's not given in the manual:) Cheers!

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:02 pm

plytheman wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:36 pm
lyesmel wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:27 am
207 is the latest, so that could be a few versions after Quant was introduced. Hold the Program button in when powering up and it'll say at the top of the screen. If you're on Win10, this post from earlier in the thread has been my guide to update. Just be sure to adjust the version number in the file from the linked post to the 207 version. Have fun!

As for bursts, I've had some luck using Euclidean Triggers set to CV1. Not exactly one-off bursts but gives a variable amount of gates each time depending what you're feeding into the CV.
nailed it, thanks ! in business now, this logic feature is just what i needed ! :hail:

General_Ripper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by General_Ripper » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:47 pm

I got the Pam's to distribute clock everywhere, but synced to my E-RM Multiclock so that I can record on track with Ableton.

I have Pam's synced up like a boss to the Multiclock, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get it to start / stop / reset when being fed clock signal from Multiclock. Do I need to put something into RUN on the Pam's, and if so, what? I am dying here.

General_Ripper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by General_Ripper » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:45 pm

OK I think I have it figured out. Pam's channel reset out to RUN set to reset (_|-) and to a mult to Stepper Acid, Voltage Block, 2 Rene channels. Clock in from Multiclock. Seems to be working. Granted, I am testing with blinking lights right now, but it should work.

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi, I dont have my modular with me for a bit, wondering if pam's can do a good white noise oscillator with the random set to a high clock? Thanks

Return to “Eurorack Modules”