Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by mmontazeri » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Have a small feature request: setting to flip the display/controls vertically. Basically allow PAM's to be mounted upside down with outputs up top, and have the encoder left-right flipped, and the display mirrored upside down.

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Excuse my impatience, once the PNW was allowed to warm up for a while the timing slipped into near perfection. 120bpm at x4 is now reading 120.05 and 120bpm at x1 is 30.01 - tight.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:15 pm

I pulled off the update. For Windows, It is super key to unplug all the other USB stuff, which is a hassle. My Overbridge got hosed and I had to uninstall reinstall it. But I now have Pams updated and thats awesome.

Is there an updated manual for the quantize feature? I’d like to figure out if it’s possible to quantize CV out from a Mimetic Digitalis into a specific scale. I know how to pick the scales and I am guessing you just use the pitch on your oscialltor to tune it.Im still just wrapping my head around ways I can use Pams in my setup which Is below. (I love Scales but if I can pull it out, I’d have 10HP for something else).

hermitpez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hermitpez » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Ive had PNW for about a month now. The day after buying it, I bought the pexp-1. Looking forward to updating the firmware, I’m going to have a shot at it tomorrow. Big love for ALM!

timc3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timc3 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:17 am

Is there a way of keeping a constant clock output even when the module has stopped? I am running it sync'd to an analog four, and then using PNW to clock a Doepfer A-154 - I think that I could get better timing if the clock is always running into A-154 and I use the Start/Stop/Reset triggers.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Is there documentation anywhere to explain all the features of the quantizer? I played with it a little last night and the CV-1 input seems to be doing something but I don't really understand what yet. I'd also like to understand all the scale controls.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Apparently they were able to optimize the code and squeeze in a few more features and fix a few bugs according to their SuperBooth Home interview today.
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:59 pm
Is there documentation anywhere to explain all the features of the quantizer? I played with it a little last night and the CV-1 input seems to be doing something but I don't really understand what yet. I'd also like to understand all the scale controls.
This is what I need as well.

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:36 am

Setting the QT parameter to any value other than "NO" quantizes the voltage leaving the respective channel with respect to the scale selected. It is applied last.

It doesn't quantize the CV1 input. Selecting CV1 (or CV2) as the value of the quantize parameter of a channel will select the scale from the list based on the voltage coming in to CV1 (or 2).

For finer control of the CV selection, you can highlight the value "CV1", once it has been chosen, longpress and set attenuation and offset.

If you wish to use Pam to quantize the voltage coming in to CV1, you may be able to get somewhere by setting a channel to fixed voltage and then modulating its Level parameter with CV1 and turning QT on - but I'm not sure you would get extremely accurate results and this is not the intended use of Pam's quantizer - its for quantizing Pam.

A list of the scale abbreviations can be found upthread (note that they changed as per a user's suggestion). I'm sure they will be added to the manual when the firmware leaves beta.
Last edited by rikrak on Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Sulcus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr_Sulcus » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:43 am

SingIt wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm
yellowecho wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:59 pm
This is what I need as well.
It's still in beta though, isn't it? I'm assuming an updated manual will appear once the firmware is properly finished.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 am

Mr_Sulcus wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:43 am
It's still in beta though, isn't it? I'm assuming an updated manual will appear once the firmware is properly finished.
Yes manual will be updated when non beta firmware released (hopefully soon!).

If your needing a manual then you probably shouldn't be using Beta firmware in the first place ..!!! :hyper:

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:35 pm

ALM wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 am
Mr_Sulcus wrote:

If your needing a manual then you probably shouldn't be using Beta firmware in the first place ..!!! :hyper:
Touché. Got a little too excited :yay:

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm

Dear Mr. ALM,

There were so many Superbooth videos, on which one specifically were you featured?

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:48 pm

ALM wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 am
Mr_Sulcus wrote:

Yeah damn i thought it was a final release for some reason. I dont want to do that update again! Lol. So far the latest release has been great.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:47 pm

ALM wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:05 am
There is similar 'hack' you can do but you dont need to do the 'On' step. Set 'Level' to 0% and assign 'Offset' to CV1 or CV2 - this will work with any waveform or factor setting.
This works wonderfully! Thanks so much!! :sb:

Lokua
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lokua » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I would love it there was alternate firmware / mode that would allow us to repurpose the start/stop button for other things.

I don't see this as a request that ALM would realistically honor as it only makes sense if you are using Pamela's as a slave. For me the start/stop button has zero purpose. It's just sitting there doing nothing.

The way I see it there are two major flaws with the workflow of this module:

1) Long pressing takes too long. It just isn't good UX. Nobody likes it. Don't argue. I know you hate it ;)
2) Values that have range 0-100 take too long to dial in

I get it. This module offers a lot in very little HP. I am considering purchasing a second one. Hell - I could see myself with 3 of these units and still consider another. The problem is it takes too long to navigate in a performance situation, but also disinvites experimentation in any situation. I find myself not taking advantage of it as much as I could because of this.

If the start/stop could be repurposed, I think it would absolute killer if:

1) quick tap start/stop functions exactly like long press without a wait
2) holding start/stop while turning the encoder moves values in increments of 10 (aka coarse adjust) and wraps around instead of going to the CV options (because you are coarse adjusting, not selecting I/O).

ANYWAY. Sorry ALM. I imagine a request like this might be annoying and you've probably considered every possible permutation of UX.
I also apologize if this request has been made before.

AThousandDetails
Common Wiggler

Post by AThousandDetails » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 am

Lokua wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:21 pm
I would love it there was alternate firmware / mode that would allow us to repurpose the start/stop button for other things.

I don't see this as a request that ALM would realistically honor as it only makes sense if you are using Pamela's as a slave. For me the start/stop button has zero purpose. It's just sitting there doing nothing.

The way I see it there are two major flaws with the workflow of this module:

1) Long pressing takes too long. It just isn't good UX. Nobody likes it. Don't argue. I know you hate it ;)
2) Values that have range 0-100 take too long to dial in

I get it. This module offers a lot in very little HP. I am considering purchasing a second one. Hell - I could see myself with 3 of these units and still consider another. The problem is it takes too long to navigate in a performance situation, but also disinvites experimentation in any situation. I find myself not taking advantage of it as much as I could because of this.

If the start/stop could be repurposed, I think it would absolute killer if:

1) quick tap start/stop functions exactly like long press without a wait
2) holding start/stop while turning the encoder moves values in increments of 10 (aka coarse adjust) and wraps around instead of going to the CV options (because you are coarse adjusting, not selecting I/O).

ANYWAY. Sorry ALM. I imagine a request like this might be annoying and you've probably considered every possible permutation of UX.
I also apologize if this request has been made before.
I'm with you on this. I use my PNW as slave... and it pisses me a bit that it takes too long to input values, etc, etc :) that would be a killer feature!
Dogs are cool. Dogs rule over cats :D

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 am

rikrak wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:36 am
Setting the QT parameter to any value other than "NO" quantizes the voltage leaving the respective channel with respect to the scale selected. It is applied last.

It doesn't quantize the CV1 input. Selecting CV1 (or CV2) as the value of the quantize parameter of a channel will select the scale from the list based on the voltage coming in to CV1 (or 2).

For finer control of the CV selection, you can highlight the value "CV1", once it has been chosen, longpress and set attenuation and offset.

If you wish to use Pam to quantize the voltage coming in to CV1, you may be able to get somewhere by setting a channel to fixed voltage and then modulating its Level parameter with CV1 and turning QT on - but I'm not sure you would get extremely accurate results and this is not the intended use of Pam's quantizer - its for quantizing Pam.

A list of the scale abbreviations can be found upthread (note that they changed as per a user's suggestion). I'm sure they will be added to the manual when the firmware leaves beta.
Thanks, this was helpful. I was hoping I could quantize my Mimetic digitalis. But maybe I could quantize the CV going out of Pams to the MD and that would basically do the same thing.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:31 am

The new firmware is still in beta, right ? Should I wait for an official release ? I'm not very confident in my Windows10 skills...

Anyway, super excited by the internal quantizer !

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00 am

Waiting for a proper release as well ! This is going to make Pamela even more indispensable in a small Palette system. Didn't think it was possible.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am

I spun a 'proper' non beta 204 release.. :hyper:

The only change over the previous beta release is the quantiser now (as requested here) does a sample & hold on a random waveforms last value when some kind for pattern is applied preventing it from dropping to 0V and allowing for much more musical sequences.

Also the manual is updated :hyper:

Visit https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/ to download the firmware. Please carefully read the instructions there!

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 am

ALM wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am
I spun a 'proper' non beta 204 release.. :hyper:

The only change over the previous beta release is the quantiser now (as requested here) does a sample & hold on a random waveforms last value when some kind for pattern is applied preventing it from dropping to 0V and allowing for much more musical sequences.

Also the manual is updated :hyper:

Visit https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/ to download the firmware. Please carefully read the instructions there!
Very cool!

Unrelated question: is there any way to smooth the edges of the random waveform without an external slew module? I'm hoping to replicate a Wogglebug type random waveform. If not, would this be at all possible as a future option?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks so much for the S&H!!! Can’t wait to load it up.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Modules/Google Case/Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:06 am

I want that bright white display in the coupé version!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:38 am

shit I have every iteration of usb cables ever invented on earth except that one.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”