Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by subLimb » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:59 am

ALM wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am
I spun a 'proper' non beta 204 release.. :hyper:

The only change over the previous beta release is the quantiser now (as requested here) does a sample & hold on a random waveforms last value when some kind for pattern is applied preventing it from dropping to 0V and allowing for much more musical sequences.

Also the manual is updated :hyper:

Visit https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/ to download the firmware. Please carefully read the instructions there!
This is great news! The quantizer was already great but this'll make it even better IMO! Thank you!!

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:32 am

Lokua wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:21 pm
I would love it there was alternate firmware / mode that would allow us to repurpose the start/stop button for other things.

If the start/stop could be repurposed, I think it would absolute killer if:

1) quick tap start/stop functions exactly like long press without a wait
2) holding start/stop while turning the encoder moves values in increments of 10 (aka coarse adjust) and wraps around instead of going to the CV options (because you are coarse adjusting, not selecting I/O).

ANYWAY. Sorry ALM. I imagine a request like this might be annoying and you've probably considered every possible permutation of UX.
I also apologize if this request has been made before.
+99999999

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:39 am

ALM wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am
I spun a 'proper' non beta 204 release.. :hyper:

The only change over the previous beta release is the quantiser now (as requested here) does a sample & hold on a random waveforms last value when some kind for pattern is applied preventing it from dropping to 0V and allowing for much more musical sequences.

Also the manual is updated :hyper:

Visit https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/ to download the firmware. Please carefully read the instructions there!
Amazing - thanks!

Breezewax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Breezewax » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:25 pm

I wanted this module for so long the new firmware looks amazing........I just ordered one :y,ay: :guinness:

Rafi
Common Wiggler

Post by Rafi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Remember there are mini USB cables that are "charge only" and do not transfer data. I tried 3 of the mini USB cables I have here and this must be the case. Off to order a proper cable for the sole purpose of updating Pams... :hit:

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 pm

markincork wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:31 pm
4) Install file onto Pams
  • Open CMD, (right click, 'run as admin' to be safe..)
  • Copy the following file line (For future updates, make sure you update the last part "alm017-202-BETA.bin" to reflect the newest file name):
    C:\Update\dfu-util.exe dfu-util -a 0 -d 0x0483:0xdf11 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D c:/alm017-202-BETA.bin
  • **Note: Make sure there is no wrap/break when you paste this into CMD - if you experience any issues, check the spaces in what you've pasted**
  • In CMD, right click and paste. update should execute
I'm having trouble here, when I copy/paste and hit enter I just get 'The system cannot find the path specified.' I'm pretty sure I did everthing right with zadig. Please help, I feel like I'm so close but so far away! :help:

DeltaTucanae
Common Wiggler

Post by DeltaTucanae » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Great new firmware, might be time to finally get past the screen and order one.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:42 pm

dadRabbit wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 pm
markincork wrote:
  • Copy the following file line (For future updates, make sure you update the last part "alm017-202-BETA.bin" to reflect the newest file name):
    C:\Update\dfu-util.exe dfu-util -a 0 -d 0x0483:0xdf11 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D c:/alm017-202-BETA.bin
  • **Note: Make sure there is no wrap/break when you paste this into CMD - if you experience any issues, check the spaces in what you've pasted**
I'm having trouble here, when I copy/paste and hit enter I just get 'The system cannot find the path specified.' I'm pretty sure I did everthing right with zadig. Please help, I feel like I'm so close but so far away! :help:
are you for sure working with the 202 release? the latest stable version is "alm017-204.bin" make sure that line matches the file name you have. and double check you moved pam's update file to the root of the c: drive.

DirkB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DirkB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:06 am

thinking out of the box : how to create 8 s & h with 8 random triggers and 1 noise source?

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:55 am

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:42 pm
dadRabbit wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 pm
markincork wrote:
are you for sure working with the 202 release? the latest stable version is "alm017-204.bin" make sure that line matches the file name you have. and double check you moved pam's update file to the root of the c: drive.
I updated that line to the 204.bin so it should be good. I put the 5 files from this link: http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/release ... 2-mingw32/ into their own folder which I put into the root of the c: drive. I might try to move them to the drive on their own outside of a folder and try again, I followed each step pretty closely the first time though so I'm having trouble figuring what exactly I messed up. If I can't get it working this time I might try my girlfriend's macbook, I hear it's easier to update on mac than win 10.

johane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by johane » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:56 am

Not sure if I've got the wrong type of cables but am I supposed to see any action on the Pam when I connect it? I've got no change in the Mac system profiler and the ALM updater isn't recognising the module?

Best

J

Wheelbreak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wheelbreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:26 pm

So after banging my head against the wall trying to get this installed last night and this morning using the command above in windows 10, I finally got it to work.

I used the line in the manual instead. If anyone else is having issues, with the update in the root of C drive it looked like this

dfu-util -a 0 -d 0x0483:0xdf11 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D c:\alm017-204.bin

Sorry if this seems redundant, but for someone as computer illiterate as me, this would have saved me hours and a head ache.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Here's a .rar with all the files you need to make the update.. I created a .bat file called "run.bat" to execute the update, so you just click it and it will update the module. It should be extracted to the root of C:\ (so C:\pam.. and no you don't need to create the folder "pam", then you will get pam/pam and that will not work.) you need e.g winrar to extract the content.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwmctivnfog9slf/pam.rar?dl=0

The .bin here is the one for "lower than 'Rev 62'" replace with the other one if needed..
Last edited by bemushroomed on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:10 pm

johane wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:56 am
Not sure if I've got the wrong type of cables but am I supposed to see any action on the Pam when I connect it? I've got no change in the Mac system profiler and the ALM updater isn't recognising the module?
Hi, PAM itself doesn‘t do anything visual during the update to my knowledge. Some people here including myself had troubles with wrong/bad cables. Some of those USB cables are only wired for power charging (no data connection). So there is a good chance that switching to another cable will do the trick.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:24 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 pm
Here's a .rar with all the files you need to make the update.. I created a .bat file called "run.bat" to execute the update, so you just click it and it will update the module. It should be extracted to the root of C:\ (so C:\pam.. and no you don't need to create the folder "pam", then you will get pam/pam and that will not work.) you need e.g winrar to extract the content.

Bemushroomed, you saved me from hours (days ?) of hair loss. THANK YOU !

I followed your instructions & files two minutes ago and my pam seems updated :sb:

ps : the update is super fast, I wasn't really sure something happened when I plugged the module.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:32 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Bemushroomed, you saved me from hours (days ?) of hair loss. THANK YOU !

I followed your instructions & files two minutes ago and my pam seems updated :sb:

ps : the update is super fast, I wasn't really sure something happened when I plugged the module.
Cool! Glad to help.

Yes this is the fastest FW update i've seen for a module, the first time i updated Pam i was sure something was wrong because it took like 1 second..

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:21 pm

I think the .bin in the files you provided is the one for the "For PCBs marked lower than 'Rev 62'"

I thought I fucked up my module which is a Rev 63 => I replaced the .bin file by the correct one, reinstalled the firmware according to your instructions and all is working now :party:

Anyway my hair was too long ;)

Thanks again !

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 pm

I ended up using the GUI installer on my girlfirend's mac and had it updated in less than a minute, definitely much quicker if you have access to a mac.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:21 pm
I think the .bin in the files you provided is the one for the "For PCBs marked lower than 'Rev 62'"

I thought I fucked up my module which is a Rev 63 => I replaced the .bin file by the correct one, reinstalled the firmware according to your instructions and all is working now :party:

Anyway my hair was too long ;)

Thanks again !
Oops sorry, i obviously should have included that info.. i will update my post.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 pm

Is there any reason to replace Triggerman + Ornament & Crime with P2?
*phnert*

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Fri May 01, 2020 2:26 am

bemushroomed wrote:

The .bin here is the one for "lower than 'Rev 62'" replace with the other one if needed..
You are a king amongst men sir! I spent half an hour trying to get those binaries to work. This took 3 seconds.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 am

Quick question, how did you guys managed to get around the memory limitations for this firmware?

Really enjoying the new quantiser features 8)

srcodling
Common Wiggler

Post by srcodling » Fri May 01, 2020 11:11 am

wavecircle wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:26 am
bemushroomed wrote:

You are a king amongst men sir! I spent half an hour trying to get those binaries to work. This took 3 seconds.
Yep, this... many thanks for making this so easy...

Orange
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orange » Sat May 02, 2020 10:18 am

Hi,
Is it safe to update straight from the first firmware to firmware 204?

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat May 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Orange wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:18 am
Hi,
Is it safe to update straight from the first firmware to firmware 204?
I did. Works great.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”