Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

banalytic
Common Wiggler

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by banalytic » Sun May 10, 2020 11:27 am

xcc wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 am
You could always use a stacked cable for that channel. Chances are you’ll be sending a straight clock somewhere else anyway, right?
:doh: yes! you are so right... too complicated thoughts and sometimes it's so simple!

banalytic
Common Wiggler

Post by banalytic » Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 am

tdallas wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:20 am
Hi! I don't know exactly what "dfuERROR, status = 10" means. But I did the update twice (202 beta / 204 final) and I got the exact same DFU output followed by an excellent working PAM. So from my humble point of view this is nothing to worry about.
same here! everything works fine.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sun May 10, 2020 11:50 am

tdallas wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:20 am
Hi! I don't know exactly what "dfuERROR, status = 10" means. But I did the update twice (202 beta / 204 final) and I got the exact same DFU output followed by an excellent working PAM. So from my humble point of view this is nothing to worry about.
banalytic wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 am
same here! everything works fine.
Thank you both for letting me know that I'm not on my own :)

I've not had a chance to check out what the update has brought to the party yet. Too busy faffing with my new Disting EX which arrived yesterday :mrgreen:

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sun May 10, 2020 12:06 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:50 am
I've not had a chance to check out what the update has brought to the party yet.
Nothing really big, little things like a quantiser option on each channel and voltage addressable banks ... irony off :lol: those 202+ updates brought PAM to a whole new wiggler level for me! :hail:

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sun May 10, 2020 12:13 pm

tdallas wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:06 pm
Nothing really big ... little things like a quantiser option on each channel and voltage addressable banks (irony off :lol:) ... those 202+ updates brought PAM to a whole new wiggler level for me! :hail:
Sounds interesting enough :)

I have to admit that I'm a right lazy git. I've only been using my Pam's as an LFO source :oops:

Same with my O-C... Another LFO source...

I guess I'm not a hardcore Wiggler :despair:

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Sun May 10, 2020 1:23 pm

banalytic wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:02 am
hoped there was another option without loosing a channel... but thanks!
If you have 2hp you can get a PEXP-2, it's has a x24 clock and a run output.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun May 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Image 0 HP, $3 or whatever on ebay/wish.. i have tons of them, why have 1 output when you can have 4.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 pm

I currently have a Kermit mk3 and Batumi for sync'd modulations. Would Pam's be overkill? I know it has a lot of triggering possibilities like probabilities, skipping etc. But I have a Digitakt with cv.ocd to provide triggers to my rig if needed.

Also, how is it as a envelope generator?

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Mon May 11, 2020 3:07 pm

The envelopes it generates are pretty basic, but OK for percussive stuff at a push. I've had some fun using them as sound sources rather than control voltage for glitchy clicking sounds.

grombleglop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grombleglop » Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am

Can anyone make a good case why I should get the batumi over Pam’s workout? I’m looking to increase the modulation sources in my setup (all I have is maths). Batumi looks like a good option and I like the idea behind it, but it almost seems like you could set up Pam’s to work like some of batumi’s different modes with a little programming.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am

grombleglop wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am
Can anyone make a good case why I should get the batumi over Pam’s workout? I’m looking to increase the modulation sources in my setup (all I have is maths). Batumi looks like a good option and I like the idea behind it, but it almost seems like you could set up Pam’s to work like some of batumi’s different modes with a little programming.
I'd say Batumi is a lot more fun to self patch and mess around with than Pam. It's more hands-on, way faster in usage. Pam is much more advanced, it's something you can really fine tune, e.g pulse width, you can create shuffle and whatnot.. they're quite different but both are very useful. Maybe get a used Pam version 1 + Batumi? I bought the first version for $80 recently, very good price for what it can do imo. I have version 2 + Batumi for modulation, version 1 is just for triggers / clock.

grombleglop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grombleglop » Tue May 12, 2020 12:19 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am
grombleglop wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am
I'd say Batumi is a lot more fun to self patch and mess around with than Pam. It's more hands-on, way faster in usage. Pam is much more advanced, it's something you can really fine tune, e.g pulse width, you can create shuffle and whatnot.. they're quite different but both are very useful. Maybe get a used Pam version 1 + Batumi? I bought the first version for $80 recently, very good price for what it can do imo. I have version 2 + Batumi for modulation, version 1 is just for triggers / clock.

Yea, that was kinda my guess. In my head I want batumi more just because of the playability and self patching (main things I love in the modular world), but Pam’s just seems like it has loads of more features. I’m also looking at random modules (something like chance/wogglebug) But it seems like Pam can do a decent amount of randomization too. I Just read the manual and it says there are multiple random LFO waveforms, but it doesn’t show any shapes or give a description. I know there is a stepped random from watching YouTube reviews, but are there smooth random waveforms too? Also, how’s the quantization on it (just learned it did this, and for some reason I keep thinking it’s too good to be true to be able to also get quantized outs of it so there must be a catch)

End of the day, I’ll likely eventually have both, but I’ve only got about 124 hp right now and I’m about to do a small expansion and I’d like to pack in as many features as I can.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue May 12, 2020 12:56 pm

The only random LFO is the stepped one. You can apply the random skip to other LFO shapes which will skip whole cycles of the LFO. That could be useful (though I've never remembered to try it) but it's not really what I'd call a random waveform. The catch for the quantization is that it's not super accurate because of bit depth issues. Maybe that's not an issue in practice - I've got plenty of quantizers so haven't tried the new features yet.

If you do lots of stuff synced to a master clock, Pam's seems more useful to me. It was one of my first modules and has never left the rack. It's invaluable just for the things like euclidean rhythms + random skip + locking the randomness. Batumi is nice though too so :despair:

grombleglop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grombleglop » Tue May 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Just a thought: can you program a channel to a sin LFO, then use an LFO into a CV in to modulate the amplitude and offset of the sin wave to produce a kind of pseudorandom smooth LFO?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue May 12, 2020 5:02 pm

grombleglop wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:15 pm
Just a thought: can you program a channel to a sin LFO, then use an LFO into a CV in to modulate the amplitude and offset of the sin wave to produce a kind of pseudorandom smooth LFO?
Yes. Exactly how smooth that will sound i don't really know.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Tue May 12, 2020 5:43 pm

lordymosh wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 pm
I currently have a Kermit mk3 and Batumi for sync'd modulations. Would Pam's be overkill? I know it has a lot of triggering possibilities like probabilities, skipping etc. But I have a Digitakt with cv.ocd to provide triggers to my rig if needed.

I love it as an eg, or at least a rhythmic envelope trigger. I also have a Kermit3 and Octatrack->CV and use Pam's constantly, for rhythmic gates, trigs, lfos, envelopes going to my delay, vcas, reverb, filter cutoff, it's always doing something. I feel like you'll find a lot of uses for it. It's great for quick polyrhythmic modulation and trigs. I'll often merge several channels into one destination for generative rhythms. I love putting all 8 channels into the 4ms Dual Looping Delay. Or pitch sequencing with Metropolis and then have Pam's trigging 4 different envelope shapes on the Quadra which all go to their own CV channel on the Quad VCA, opening and closing that single melody in interesting, musical ways.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Tue May 12, 2020 5:53 pm

daphnid wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:43 pm
lordymosh wrote:

I love it as an eg, or at least a rhythmic envelope trigger. I also have a Kermit3 and Octatrack->CV and use Pam's constantly, for rhythmic gates, trigs, lfos, envelopes going to my delay, vcas, reverb, filter cutoff, it's always doing something. I feel like you'll find a lot of uses for it. It's great for quick polyrhythmic modulation and trigs. I'll often merge several channels into one destination for generative rhythms. I love putting all 8 channels into the 4ms Dual Looping Delay. Or pitch sequencing with Metropolis and then have Pam's trigging 4 different envelope shapes on the Quadra which all go to their own CV channel on the Quad VCA, opening and closing that single melody in interesting, musical ways.
Think you've sold me on it. Polyrhythmic modulation sounds like a lot of fun.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Tue May 12, 2020 6:01 pm

lordymosh wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:53 pm
daphnid wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:43 pm
lordymosh wrote:

Think you've sold me on it. Polyrhythmic modulation sounds like a lot of fun.
\

Word, between the euclidean steps and the fact that you can divide or mult the clock on each channel by odd yet musical ratios makes it great for it.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue May 12, 2020 8:10 pm

Yeah it really helps to have a logic module too. ORing or XORing together a few channels of pams can create some really interesting stuff.

banalytic
Common Wiggler

Post by banalytic » Thu May 14, 2020 5:16 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:10 pm
Yeah it really helps to have a logic module too. ORing or XORing together a few channels of pams can create some really interesting stuff.
hi! I have a Abstract Data ADE-31 Logic Boss and not a lot of ideas how to use it in a creative way...
do you have any tipps & tricks specially in combination with PNW?

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 am

Here is an example of using Pamela's new quantizer with euclidean patterns. The lead synth in this is using two outputs from Pam - one with random values, with the level lowered to about 40%, and quantized to minor. The other with 24 of 32 gates being sent using the euclidean pattern generator.
Pretty awesome that this little 8HP device can do this. Pretty much replaces 90% of what I had used Marbles for.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am

banalytic wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:16 am
SavageMessiah wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:10 pm
hi! I have a Abstract Data ADE-31 Logic Boss and not a lot of ideas how to use it in a creative way...
do you have any tipps & tricks specially in combination with PNW?
Set two outputs to euclidian rhythms with different lengths but the same clock division (or an even multiple/division of the other - 4x for one and 2x for the other, for instance) and stick them into logic boss. Fiddle with settings at that point, you'll probably get something interesting. Especially try rotating one of the euclidians. OR with one euclidian rotated one step will get you patterns that are a bit "denser" than the usual euclidian fare. If there's enough steps that that ends up being too much, try XOR to thin it out a little. A straight clock ANDed with a slow euclidian will get you bursts, etc. There's a ton of stuff you can do.

banalytic
Common Wiggler

Post by banalytic » Thu May 14, 2020 2:13 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am
There's a ton of stuff you can do.
thanks for this ideas!

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Sat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm

The new firmware for Pamela gave me back most of what I loved about Marbles! Thanks, ALM!
Now Pam is a generative aerobic workout in 8HP!!!
This track uses two channels per voice - 4 channels total.

Lead synth:
Channel 1 is set to random voltages and quantized to minor. Timing at 2x ,and 1.3x for the triplet vibe from 5:22 to 6:06.
Channel 2 is just set to generate gates to match the timing of channel 1.
Bass:
Channel 3 is set to random voltages and quantized to minor, timing at 1x.
Channel 4 is just set to generate gates to match the timing of channel 3.

Along with the Euclidean patterns - you could do generative sequencing of 4 voices for hours... or two voices and some drum triggering. At 8HP, Pam is easily one of the best bang for your $$$ and HP in Eurorack.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat May 16, 2020 12:37 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm
This track uses two channels per voice - 4 channels total.
Nice :)

I still haven't taken time out to check what came with the update... I really must remedy that :mrgreen:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”