Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Stoneyards » Sat May 23, 2020 1:35 pm

Yes, it's a black skirted sifam knob with a blue encoder cap. Pretty sure it's the small size.

I'd measure it but I have a davies on mine to match the BKM panel I have on there, and the original is in the Box Of Doom somewhere..
ModusOp wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm
Stoneyards wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm
The new firmware and the quantizer in particular has got me falling in love with Pam all over again!

By the way, for those who replace Pam's faceplate and - ahem- accidentally torque down the jack nuts too much: They will break. I had a jack sleeve pop right off along with the nut. It was an easy fix though (they're standard thonkiconn).
You sound like someone who can answer the question as to what size replacement knob/button to order from Thonk. Care to share? :D

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Sat May 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Stoneyards wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:35 pm
Yes, it's a black skirted sifam knob with a blue encoder cap. Pretty sure it's the small size.

I'd measure it but I have a davies on mine to match the BKM panel I have on there, and the original is in the Box Of Doom somewhere..
ModusOp wrote:
Stoneyards wrote:
The new firmware and the quantizer in particular has got me falling in love with Pam all over again!

By the way, for those who replace Pam's faceplate and - ahem- accidentally torque down the jack nuts too much: They will break. I had a jack sleeve pop right off along with the nut. It was an easy fix though (they're standard thonkiconn).
You sound like someone who can answer the question as to what size replacement knob/button to order from Thonk. Care to share? :D
Awesome! Thank you so much! And the yellow button?
Still trying to score a BKM panel here, but I may be close.
*crosses fingers

foetoe
1-Post Wiggler

Post by foetoe » Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm

technocalypse wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:35 am
Hi,

So following all the instructions to use the updater app on OSX, it says update complete, but the firmware remains the same. It even says update complete when I run the app without PNW even plugged in.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

I'm running OSX 10.12.06, and have the correct REV file and usb cable.

Cheers.
Did you get this fixed? I have tried like 6-7 cables including the ones that I use daily to connect my external HDs which are def able to transmit data and work just fine for the HDs. My Mac is just not seeing Pam.

For those who had success with this on Mac, did you see Pam identified as a device in finder before updating?

Thanks

Stoneyards
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stoneyards » Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 pm

Yeah, not sure about the button. Brian used to sell them with BKM stuff so he might know.
ModusOp wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:46 pm
Stoneyards wrote:

ModusOp wrote:
Stoneyards wrote:

*crosses fingers

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Sat May 23, 2020 8:56 pm

Stoneyards wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 pm
Yeah, not sure about the button. Brian used to sell them with BKM stuff so he might know.
ModusOp wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:46 pm
Stoneyards wrote:

ModusOp wrote:
Stoneyards wrote:

*crosses fingers
Cool cool. Thank you. Tried to find his contact info recently, but wasn’t able to locate it. I wanted to see if he had any of his panels left in stock that he wanted to get rid of. Having a tough time getting one.

I guess I can always try writing to ALM as well for that info.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat May 30, 2020 6:57 am

NVM. Post can be deleted.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:15 am

foetoe wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm
technocalypse wrote:
Hi,

So following all the instructions to use the updater app on OSX, it says update complete, but the firmware remains the same. It even says update complete when I run the app without PNW even plugged in.

Cheers.
Did you get this fixed? I have tried like 6-7 cables including the ones that I use daily to connect my external HDs which are def able to transmit data and work just fine for the HDs. My Mac is just not seeing Pam.

For those who had success with this on Mac, did you see Pam identified as a device in finder before updating?

Thanks

I was able to update my PNW recently on a Mac via USB but had to try a couple cables before it worked.
Seemed strange that the unit didn’t light up when it was connected to the Mac via USB so I wasn’t sure it would work to be honest.
In system report under USB I didn’t notice it saying ALM and/or PNW but something was registered there so I went ahead with the updater.
Ran the update, got the success message and plugged it back into my modular and presses the button to display the firmware rev and sure enough it said it had the new OS.
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Rosa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rosa » Sun May 31, 2020 11:18 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:15 am
foetoe wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm
technocalypse wrote:
Hi,

Cheers.

Thanks

I was able to update my PNW recently on a Mac via USB but had to try a couple cables before it worked.
Seemed strange that the unit didn’t light up when it was connected to the Mac via USB so I wasn’t sure it would work to be honest.
In system report under USB I didn’t notice it saying ALM and/or PNW but something was registered there so I went ahead with the updater.
Ran the update, got the success message and plugged it back into my modular and presses the button to display the firmware rev and sure enough it said it had the new OS.
it was the same with me also on mac

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:27 am

Anyone had any luck clocking Pam's from the t-section of Marbles? I've tried various settings but can't seem to get it to work. I think it's maybe something to do with the Run input on Pam's, but not entirely sure.

I know it makes more sense in theory to clock Marbles from Pam's, but there's some stuff I want to try with it the other way round. I find Marbles to be a more easily tweakable master clock.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:41 am

sjbucks wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:27 am
Anyone had any luck clocking Pam's from the t-section of Marbles? I've tried various settings but can't seem to get it to work. I think it's maybe something to do with the Run input on Pam's, but not entirely sure.

I know it makes more sense in theory to clock Marbles from Pam's, but there's some stuff I want to try with it the other way round. I find Marbles to be a more easily tweakable master clock.
The T section isn't really a clock out though, i mean you can probably get a pretty steady rhythm from the triggers, but its probably not made for clocking duties tbh.. that would also defeat the whole purpose of the module, to not touch its settings and just have it steadily playing the same output.

If you still want to clock pam from it i would try changing the pulse width setting on Marbles + obviously make sure you don't have random jitter / humanization turned on.

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:50 am

sjbucks wrote:

From Pam's manual - "For syncing to work, Pam needs to know the external clocks ratio of ticks to a quarter note - this is known as the Pulses Per Quarter Note (PPQN) value."

I imagine the signal coming out of the T-section of Marbles doesn't meet that criteria and may be irregular in some form or fashion.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:13 am

sjbucks wrote:
Which one of the t's are you using? From the MI Marbles manual:

Three gate outputs: t2 is the main output carrying the jittery clock, t1 and t3 are the complementary random rhythm output.

I didn't try it yet because my Marbles is always clocked from PAM but at least the t2 should be stable for your need? If you use t1 / t3 you might furthermore try to adapt the gate signal from those outputs. Maybe you have the random gate length activated there?

Hold the button [E] and turn BIAS to adjust the gate length from 1% to 99%, or JITTER to adjust the gate length randomization (from deterministic to completely random). Only t1 and t3 are affected by this. t2 has a constant 50% duty cycle.

But in the end I'm not sure if PAM will follow those random rhytm gates as a clock at all :despair:

## EDIT says ##

I'm also using t2 as a clock output e.g. for my 4MS DLD or in patches where Marbles is the master clock, which seems pretty stable (to me) if you keep the jitter off. But in combination with PAM the workout is always supervised primarily by ALM :mrgreen:

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:04 am

Thanks for all the replies. I was actually hoping to use t1 or 3 as the clock rather than t2. So that I could slow it down/reduce the regularity of steps forward (if that makes sense) using the bias knob on the t-section. It's something I've been able to do when clocking Rene, for example, but perhaps it's not possible because Pam's isn't strictly a sequencer so doesn't work in the same way?

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:30 am

sjbucks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:04 am
Thanks for all the replies. I was actually hoping to use t1 or 3 as the clock rather than t2. So that I could slow it down/reduce the regularity of steps forward (if that makes sense) using the bias knob on the t-section. It's something I've been able to do when clocking Rene, for example, but perhaps it's not possible because Pam's isn't strictly a sequencer so doesn't work in the same way?
I think Pam really needs a steady clock for external sync. It doesn't seem to respond to immediate changes in tempo like it would need to for clocking from T1 or T3.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am

xcc wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:30 am
I think Pam really needs a steady clock for external sync. It doesn't seem to respond to immediate changes in tempo like it would need to for clocking from T1 or T3.
In my experience that is not the case.

Two days ago I clocked my PNW with the CV output of Function (that is, the + output, not the EOR or EOC gate outputs). As I always do when clocking PNW with SRACVS ("some random-ass CV source"), I saw along the little top line of its display, PNW display its interpretation of the incoming source as a changing BPM.

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 am

synonymist wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am
xcc wrote:

Two days ago I clocked my PNW with the CV output of Function (that is, the + output, not the EOR or EOC gate outputs). As I always do when clocking PNW with SRACVS ("some random-ass CV source"), I saw along the little top line of its display, PNW display its interpretation of the incoming source as a changing BPM.
Hmm. That's interesting I'll have to try something like that out. Are you sure PNW wasn't just trying to follow along and it just happened to seem like it was interpreting the signal appropriately?

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 am

apcuddling wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 am
synonymist wrote:
xcc wrote:

Hmm. That's interesting I'll have to try something like that out. Are you sure PNW wasn't just trying to follow along and it just happened to seem like it was interpreting the signal appropriately?
I think you're correct. Pam is just trying her hardest to sync. I can't see how pam would function with a random/arbitrary clock.
Think of how Pam calculates the output for her channels: Pam measures the time between two incoming clock pulses - If a channel is set to /4 - It would need two sequential clock triggers to calculate the divisions, and once it starts sending those pulses divided by 4 - the clock would change. This means that on every incoming clock pulse Pamela is recalculating for the next - I doubt it would actually match with the timing.

If you read page 17 of the PNW manual - there is extensive detail on how Pam requires a stable clock. The key points -
"If an external clock is sloppy then Pam will be too! It can't fix an external clock."
"It is HIGHLY recommended you use Pamela as your master clock"
I don't exactly follow the recommendations - I use Ableton as my master clock and feed Pam at 24PPQN via an Intellijel µMIDI.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:22 am

studioutopia wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 am
I don't exactly follow the recommendations
Pretty much the same here really. I use REAPER as my master and go into my BSP set to sync to MIDI and then sync everything else to that. Seems to work okay.

Funny thing is, Pam's usually reports 1 BPM less than what I am clocking at but it never seems to be out of step.

(I seem to remember saying this somewhere else lately so I should apologise for repeating myself. I blame my age.)

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:23 am

apcuddling wrote:
synonymist wrote:
xcc wrote:

Hello. What "appropriately" would comprise, I don't know. :) All I know is that PNW can follow random CV sources as clock; and when it does, I see its reported BPM change in real time, and hear the corresponding sonic result.

Probably this amounts to a big kludge, but it in use it is a powerful technique for me. I don't use it often, but sometimes it's just the thing.

DukeOfPrunes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 am

studioutopia wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 am
apcuddling wrote:
synonymist wrote:
xcc wrote:

I think you're correct. Pam is just trying her hardest to sync. I can't see how pam would function with a random/arbitrary clock.
Think of how Pam calculates the output for her channels: Pam measures the time between two incoming clock pulses - If a channel is set to /4 - It would need two sequential clock triggers to calculate the divisions, and once it starts sending those pulses divided by 4 - the clock would change. This means that on every incoming clock pulse Pamela is recalculating for the next - I doubt it would actually match with the timing.

If you read page 17 of the PNW manual - there is extensive detail on how Pam requires a stable clock. The key points -
"If an external clock is sloppy then Pam will be too! It can't fix an external clock."
"It is HIGHLY recommended you use Pamela as your master clock"
I don't exactly follow the recommendations - I use Ableton as my master clock and feed Pam at 24PPQN via an Intellijel µMIDI.
Same here, I use Ableton as my clock, which frees up PAM a bit. Works flawlessly.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 am

sjbucks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:04 am
When you (initially) say "it does not work" -> does that mean PAM is not reacting to the external clock at all or does not follow correctly to the changes? Due to the answer given by synonymist it might be possible in the end? I haven't tried it myself (my rack is somewhere else), but have you checked the possibilities to adapt the t1/t3 gate signals on Marbles?

Marbles.png

Have you also checked the External Clock Control section in PAMs documentation? It seems that there is an explicit option for the behavior of the 'Run' input in combination with external clocks:

For syncing to work, Pam needs to know the external clocks ratio of ticks to a quarter note - this is known as the Pulses Per Quarter Note (PPQN) value. Pam also needs to know if it should start the clock automatically when an external clock signal is detected or wait for an external signal via the ‘Run' input to go high and then start the clock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:26 am

synonymist wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:23 am
apcuddling wrote:
synonymist wrote:
xcc wrote:

Hello. What "appropriately" would comprise, I don't know. :) All I know is that PNW can follow random CV sources as clock; and when it does, I see its reported BPM change in real time, and hear the corresponding sonic result.

Probably this amounts to a big kludge, but it in use it is a powerful technique for me. I don't use it often, but sometimes it's just the thing.
Potato Potato.

I just tried it out with my PNW and I started to feel sorry for it.
Pam tried to figure out the incoming clock rate and then she just kinda gave up.
It was like watching a robot lose hope.
It was sad.
Pam didn't deserve this.

Jokes aside, I can see what you mean how the unpredictable and erratic behavior of PNW controlled by an irregular clock can yield some interesting results. Personally, it just seems way too unpredictable and finicky to get there though, which is not what I would want from a clock source.

But now that I think about it, if all of PNW's channels were outputting LFOs, I can see how that erratic behavior could be preferable.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am

apcuddling wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:26 am
synonymist wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:23 am
apcuddling wrote:
synonymist wrote:
xcc wrote:

Potato Potato.

I just tried it out with my PNW and I started to feel sorry for it.
Pam tried to figure out the incoming clock rate and then she just kinda gave up.
It was like watching a robot lose hope.
It was sad.
Pam didn't deserve this.

Jokes aside, I can see what you mean how the unpredictable and erratic behavior of PNW controlled by an irregular clock can yield some interesting results. Personally, it just seems way too unpredictable and finicky to get there though, which is not what I would want from a clock source.

But now that I think about it, if all of PNW's channels were outputting LFOs, I can see how that erratic behavior could be preferable.
:)

That unpredictable and finicky behavior in a clock source is exactly why I use this technique, when I do. It's a mess. And that mess drags the whole patch around, which can be beautiful:

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:06 am

synonymist wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am

That unpredictable and finicky behavior in a clock source is exactly why I use this technique, when I do. It's a mess.
Aha! Now I see how the latest records of Autechre has been clocked :mrgreen: very nice and thanks for the tip and examples!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am

tdallas wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:06 am
synonymist wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am

That unpredictable and finicky behavior in a clock source is exactly why I use this technique, when I do. It's a mess.
Aha! Now I see how the latest records of Autechre has been clocked :mrgreen: very nice and thanks for the tip and examples!
Ha! Nice. ;) Glad to oblige. Thanks for your kind words.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”