Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by NARC NOISE » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 am

xcc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am
NARC NOISE wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 am
Question concerning the firmware update. This will be my first time doing a firmware update on a module, so I was wondering this: My current version is 201. If I go ahead and download 204, will I get all of the features added in 202 and 203, or I do I have to download 202 and 203 first? (Please keep in mind I've never done a firmware update, so if this seems like a dumb question, that would be why, haha!)
The latest firmware will include everything in between, so you only need to run the one.
Thank you much!

TVNoel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TVNoel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am

VanEck wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 am
blaythe.steuer wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:33 pm
i want a black one :(
I just want one... don't even care what color it is. Haven't been able to get one for months now. Not sure whats up with that.
Same here - all the usual stores in the UK have been out of stock for ages. Does anyone know if this is lockdown supply chain issues?

(I really wish I'd ordered a black panelled one in time though - it looks absolutely stunning)

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:11 am

Restocks started going out this week :hyper:

Apiento
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Apiento » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:30 pm

@ALM sounds like you’ve got an opportunity for an all black shared system: )

TVNoel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TVNoel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:37 pm

ALM wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:11 am
Restocks started going out this week :hyper:
Wonderful news! I'll be placing an order next time payday comes around :party:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:30 am

Side by side:
pnw-side-by-side.jpg
Screen comparison:
pnw-screens.jpg
The point I want to make here is that the black PNW is arguably—and certainly in my opinion—a superior product. I don’t give a crap about the black vs silver aesthetic question, but I do care a lot about contrast and legibility, which are usability issues. I bought the black PNW betting that the “blue” screen would be significantly higher contrast (and brighter) than the standard red one. It is, even more so than my photos, above, suggest.

I have a hard time reading the strongly filtered red display, and this blue one is WAY clearer to me. The low resolution letter forms are still a bit on the spindly side, but at least there is more light/dark contrast. (I don’t have a Squid Salmple to compare with, but that one also has a nice legible little screen.) I encourage ALM to continue offering this blue display.

Even the LEDs above the outputs read better, if only because they are on a dark background, which is a legitimate argument in favor of the black panel. Since PNW outputs fluctuating voltages, not just gates, the higher contrast makes it easier to see the fluctuating brightness of the LEDs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:42 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:30 am
I have a hard time reading the strongly filtered red display, and this blue one is WAY clearer to me. The low resolution letter forms are still a bit on the spindly side, but at least there is more light/dark contrast. (I don’t have a Squid Salmple to compare with, but that one also has a nice legible little screen.) I encourage ALM to continue offering this blue display.
Definitely looks to be functionally and aesthetically superior.

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm

While the black PNW is obviously sold out and I'd prefer not to have two anyway, I wonder if the blue screen could be made available to those of us who'd like to swap them out???

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:59 pm

jwise wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm
While the black PNW is obviously sold out and I'd prefer not to have two anyway, I wonder if the blue screen could be made available to those of us who'd like to swap them out???
Great question. I’m red/green color deficient, and the difficulty in seeing the red led is the only thing keeping me from 100% loving PNW. I can get by, but the difficulty in seeing the red screen slows down my workflow.
Latest track - 3 module challenge - Pam's quantizer, envelopes, and gates feeding both Rings and Mimeophon

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:23 pm

can the color of the displayed text be changed via FW (im guessing no)? Never understood why its red, not very good for readability.. Black version seems far better and should be the main production unit imo...

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:59 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:23 pm
can the color of the displayed text be changed via FW (im guessing no)? Never understood why its red, not very good for readability.. Black version seems far better and should be the main production unit imo...
Chris (Learning Modular) Meyer talked about removing the red bezel from behind the face plate in the latest live stream with DivKid. He's also very careful to point out that DOING SO WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 pm

jwise wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm
Are the displays soldered to the board, or in a socket?

I'd also wonder if there needs to be a different set of resistors to get the brightness right on the blue display vs what the red display needs.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:18 pm

cptnal wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Chris (Learning Modular) Meyer talked about removing the red bezel from behind the face plate in the latest live stream with DivKid. He's also very careful to point out that DOING SO WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
aha, cool. Will take a look at that. Thanks!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:39 pm

This is maybe superfluous, but I was frustrated with how my photos came out so I shot a quick video:

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Hopefully the upcoming **Pamela's Lockdown Video-Conferencing Workout Emporium** will benefit from a lush full-colour OLED screen taking up a sizeable portion of its 20HP. We can dream.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:14 am

rikrak wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:05 pm
Hopefully the upcoming **Pamela's Lockdown Video-Conferencing Workout Emporium** ...
:yay:
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:49 pm

I've love it if Pams had the same screen as the Squid but I know that's probably overkill

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm

alm pam expander.png
Here's an expander design I've been thinking about.
Additional 6 CV inputs. 8 independent mutes. Holding mutes could jump straight to channel page (instead of backing out and scrolling). :sb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:10 am

I'd probably buy that just for the mutes, extra CV inputs is a great idea though!

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 am

Somewhat related to the previous post, most likely asked already somewhere along those previous 10 milion pages on this thread:
Is it possible to do CV mutes of the different channels entirely inside pam's via self-patching ?
For example, I want have to one channel of pam's fire triggers at a very fast rate, but only as long as say another channel's gate is open. The mute option on the device that came with another update doesn't seem to allow for CV control, so there must be another way to do that. Having Euclidean steps be CV controlled KINDA does the trick, but not quite (there is no real mute, just less triggers while the gate is closed). I am also entirely aware that this can be done via the aid of an extra VCA, but being the owner of a relatively small system, I want to avoid using another module if possible.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:29 am

h1ghfiv3 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 am
Somewhat related to the previous post, most likely asked already somewhere along those previous 10 milion pages on this thread:
Is it possible to do CV mutes of the different channels entirely inside pam's via self-patching ?
For example, I want have to one channel of pam's fire triggers at a very fast rate, but only as long as say another channel's gate is open. The mute option on the device that came with another update doesn't seem to allow for CV control, so there must be another way to do that. Having Euclidean steps be CV controlled KINDA does the trick, but not quite (there is no real mute, just less triggers while the gate is closed). I am also entirely aware that this can be done via the aid of an extra VCA, but being the owner of a relatively small system, I want to avoid using another module if possible.
If I'm understanding you right, you should just be able to self patch a gate signal from pam to the cv input assign it to the level parameter on whatever channel you want?

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:42 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:29 am
h1ghfiv3 wrote:
If I'm understanding you right, you should just be able to self patch a gate signal from pam to the cv input assign it to the level parameter on whatever channel you want?
Yeah, this is the way. Set the level of the one you want to mute to CV and patch the gate you want to AND it with into the appropriate CV input.

marineroom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marineroom » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:15 pm

I’ve been patching all my Pam’s outputs through an SSF Muton. Pretty happy with this setup.

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:24 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:29 am
h1ghfiv3 wrote:
:doh: Controlling the volume is exactly how I would use the external VCA. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:06 pm

That Pam solution is pretty slick, but for an additional option, you can do this with an external logic module as well.

Edit: I just absorbed the fact that you don’t want to use an external module for this, so please disregard.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”