Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by lisa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:19 am

tdallas wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:07 am
aphex2000 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:43 am
2) I've asked for a setting in the past to never save state on a powercycle [...] Not having a clean slate to work of drives me insane.
Hi! Ok, this is not as direct as your request, but a quick "clean PAM" solution for now might be a global reset (holding down the encoder on the BPM screen for global settings -> reset -> "yes").
aphex2000 already made clear in this thread that the reset function isn’t enough; it steals five seconds each time he starts fresh, which adds up!

A problem with this request might be that few others care as much about the lost seconds, I’m guessing.

I’m also thinking that such an option might lead to many unnecessary cases where users think something is wrong with their unit.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 am

lisa wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:19 am
tdallas wrote:
aphex2000 wrote:
2) I've asked for a setting in the past to never save state on a powercycle [...] Not having a clean slate to work of drives me insane.
Hi! Ok, this is not as direct as your request, but a quick "clean PAM" solution for now might be a global reset [...]
aphex2000 already made clear in this thread that the reset function isn’t enough; it steals five seconds each time he starts fresh, which adds up! [...]
Hi! Thanks, it seems that I have missed that statement :oops: I am more the sort of a slow wiggler ... but I understand, that there might be some usecases / situations where one have to save time.

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 am

tdallas wrote:
Hi! Ok, this is not as direct as your request, but a quick "clean PAM" solution for now might be a global reset (holding down the encoder on the BPM screen for global settings -> reset -> "yes").
yes, that's what i'd like to not have to do on every modular power up

aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:41 am

lisa wrote:
A problem with this request might be that few others care as much about the lost seconds, I’m guessing.
and once again i'm surprised that as a moderator you feel the need to speak on behalf of users and module manufacturers.

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:54 pm

nice upgrade 206

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:16 pm

yes wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 pm
Is there a way to have PNW's outputs not trigger on the first step after 'start'? For example I want to use a gate to be triggered every 48 steps, starting with the 48th. Any setting I've tried (including eucledian rythm) has the output trigger first on start, then following assigned pattern from there.
Use delay & dly / or phase (reducing width to avoid wrap) params to offset an initial trigger pulse ? Also new logic functions can be useful for this kind of thing.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:23 pm

aphex2000 wrote:
1) When i sync Pam to "slow" clock sources, e.g. Hermod which don't put out 24PPQN but only do 1/32 notes - it often latches to the wrong tick and while having the right tempo is out of phase with my master clock. Is there a reliable workaround? I've tried different additional run modes, e.g. trigger in, run/stop etc but i can't get it to work reliably (using Ableton as master clock probably doesnt help either, i know). It's the last remaining puzzle piece to my hybdrid setup being in sync and latency free.
I don't know the Hermod very well but if it only puts out a low res clock maybe consider syncing it to Pam instead - or to a midi clock via a pam expander (assuming it take midi clock). Pam is never gonna sync that great to a low res clock (as noted in manual) as it has to further divide down etc.
aphex2000 wrote:
2) I've asked for a setting in the past to never save state on a powercycle or the ability to save a default state. I was told that Pam is full and nothing can ever be added to it again which has since been disproven in an impressive way, hence i'd like to bring it up again. Not having a clean slate to work of drives me insane.
As mentioned just use the global reset option under bpm or load in a blank bank to quickly set everything to a default state.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:47 pm

aphex2000 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:41 am
lisa wrote:
and once again i'm surprised that as a moderator you feel the need to speak on behalf of users and module manufacturers.
:despair: I'm not interacting with this forum as a moderator, in general.

It is my personal belief that few people in the eurorack community are yearning for modules that doesn't remember settings. The opposite seems to be the case; people are often asking if a module will keep the settings because not being able to save a patch for another day sucks.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 am

cptnal wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:40 pm
Excellent video tutorial for updating the firmware, but mine didn't work using dfu-util-static.exe - had to use dfu-util.exe and the dll. It worked though, and having big fun with the new features. :tu:
I was having problems getting this to work with dfu-util-static.exe as well, tried what you reccomended here, and it worked! First firmware update for me, thanks for this tidbit of info to save me getting totally frustrated!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:27 am

lisa wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:47 pm
It is my personal belief that few people in the eurorack community are yearning for modules that doesn't remember settings. The opposite seems to be the case; people are often asking if a module will keep the settings because not being able to save a patch for another day sucks.
This is the first time I can recall anyone complaining about a module that retains its state automatically.

morrison23usa
Common Wiggler

Post by morrison23usa » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:43 am

Yep ... almost always discussed the other way around.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:45 am

NARC NOISE wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 am
cptnal wrote:
Excellent video tutorial for updating the firmware, but mine didn't work using dfu-util-static.exe - had to use dfu-util.exe and the dll. It worked though, and having big fun with the new features. :tu:
I was having problems getting this to work with dfu-util-static.exe as well, tried what you reccomended here, and it worked! First firmware update for me, thanks for this tidbit of info to save me getting totally frustrated!
:guinness:

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:58 am

cptnal wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:45 am
NARC NOISE wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 am
cptnal wrote:
:guinness:
I was drinking through the process, Sierra Nevada Torpedo...a few of them. First, the Soundforge website was giving me issues, then My command prompt box kept saying something along the lines of dfu-util-static not recognized as a command or something like that...then I had to comb this thread looking for ideas and help.

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 am

ALM wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:51 pm
Just released 206 ! It just fixes the _|‾ rendering in 205!
With Pam’s previously reported as being all full up and unlikely to see many more additions, it sure has seen some good ones since then. How about one more? :)

Pam’s is already fantastic, but would utterly destroy if given an additional delay per output based on a per-output-adjustable (or even just a selection from) a range of absolute values somewhere in the tens of microseconds to ones (or maybe tens) of milliseconds.

(I’d even be fine with it only supporting positive delay and not negative, if it made implementation simpler and more reliable.)

This could save so many people so many headaches with synchronizing various downstream modules without having to add buffers, microdelays, etc. each costing HP.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:57 am

mvdirty wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 am

With Pam’s previously reported as being all full up and unlikely to see many more additions, it sure has seen some good ones since then. How about one more? :)

Pam’s is already fantastic, but would utterly destroy if given an additional delay per output based on a per-output-adjustable (or even just a selection from) a range of absolute values somewhere in the tens of microseconds to ones (or maybe tens) of milliseconds.

(I’d even be fine with it only supporting positive delay and not negative, if it made implementation simpler and more reliable.)

This could save so many people so many headaches with synchronizing various downstream modules without having to add buffers, microdelays, etc. each costing HP.
Ah yes, this would be a really nice addition! 5-10ms latencies would be useful (for me personally).

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:14 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:57 am
Ah yes, this would be a really nice addition! 5-10ms latencies would be useful (for me personally).
For sure, even just having single and double digit milliseconds would be very useful, and far better than nothing.

FWIW, my suggestion of tens of microseconds was more just to anchor the range a bit - tens of this unit through to tens of that unit - but I could see wanting tenths of milliseconds. Not so much because I’d want to delay something only by a tenth of a millisecond but rather to be able to ever-so-slightly shift around something I was already adjusting, in case it wasn’t quite happy with the delay I had set and I didn’t want to have to chase a bunch of updates to other delays after tweaking it.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:59 pm

edit: Tried it on a different computer, firmware update installed now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:28 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:27 am
lisa wrote:
This is the first time I can recall anyone complaining about a module that retains its state automatically.
I cannot remember anyone ever asking for this "feature". Usually they raise hell if a module doesn't save every setting at power down and put a damn timestamp code on it.

Also IMO just because Lisa is a moderator does not mean she is no longer allowed to contribute or to share an opinion. Heaven forbid! As a moderator she is tasked with keeping order on the site, keeping discussions on topic/focus, and providing user guidance related to site policy. If being a moderator means she is no longer allowed to voice her opinion I would ask that she resign because I for one WANT to hear her opinion.

And now I've put myself in a position where the moderator will have to scold me for going off topic. :sstorm:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 pm

Phitar wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:28 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:27 am
lisa wrote:
I cannot remember anyone ever asking for this "feature". Usually they raise hell if a module doesn't save every setting at power down and put a damn timestamp code on it.

Also IMO just because Lisa is a moderator does not mean she is no longer allowed to contribute or to share an opinion. Heaven forbid! As a moderator she is tasked with keeping order on the site, keeping discussions on topic/focus, and providing user guidance related to site policy. If being a moderator means she is no longer allowed to voice her opinion I would ask that she resign because I for one WANT to hear her opinion.

And now I've put myself in a position where the moderator will have to scold me for going off topic. :sstorm:
Well said!

yes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yes » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:50 pm

ALM wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:16 pm
yes wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 pm
Is there a way to have PNW's outputs not trigger on the first step after 'start'? For example I want to use a gate to be triggered every 48 steps, starting with the 48th. Any setting I've tried (including eucledian rythm) has the output trigger first on start, then following assigned pattern from there.
Use delay & dly / or phase (reducing width to avoid wrap) params to offset an initial trigger pulse ? Also new logic functions can be useful for this kind of thing.

You're right, I could have it set to /56 and then tweak the delay until I get it exactly on the 48th of the main beat.

Bretd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bretd » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I too would love a black panel.

srogers
Common Wiggler

Post by srogers » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:18 am

So I'm having some trouble with a logic function, could be a bug but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically what I'm trying to do is configure a cv/gate out with Pam's. Ch 1 is set to a gate with Rskip around 40%. Ch 2 is set to random stepped cv, quantized to a scale. Output is at 20% to cover just 1 octave of a melody. Its logic is set at &1, to only pass the signal when ch1 gate is high. I'm not getting any output on ch2 - it seems to work okay on every other wave shape other than stepped random.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:52 am

srogers wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:18 am
Basically what I'm trying to do is configure a cv/gate out with Pam's. Ch 1 is set to a gate with Rskip around 40%. Ch 2 is set to random stepped cv, quantized to a scale. Output is at 20% to cover just 1 octave of a melody. Its logic is set at &1, to only pass the signal when ch1 gate is high. I'm not getting any output on ch2 - it seems to work okay on every other wave shape other than stepped random.
Does it work ok for you if you turn quantising off ?

srogers
Common Wiggler

Post by srogers » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:08 am

ALM wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:52 am
srogers wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:18 am
Does it work ok for you if you turn quantising off ?
Just went to do some more troubleshooting and everything seems to be working fine after a reset - not sure what was happening but I appreciate the followup anyhow!

deft_bonz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 am

Finally took the time to upgrade, removed the screws, removed the module, get the computer ready, installed the app, read thru everything, opened my box full of USB and other computer cables, ...

but unlucky me I don't have no USB mini/micro cable. Got tons of USB cables, but not one mini/micro USB :doh: :confused: LOL

Return to “Eurorack Modules”