Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:21 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 am
Finally took the time to upgrade, removed the screws, removed the module, get the computer ready, installed the app, read thru everything, opened my box full of USB and other computer cables, ...

but unlucky me I don't have no USB mini/micro cable. Got tons of USB cables, but not one mini/micro USB :doh: :confused: LOL
Hahah. I did the exact same thing last Friday. It's so rare to need micro-USB, the last time I needed one (to charge an old GoPro I found in a box), I just had to order one.

Of course, being an anonymous black cable, it has long since vanished. Thus, as part of what's wrong with this world, I ordered a new one for £1.67 with same-day Prime shipping. Actually, I got two, and made sure they weren't just black, so maybe I'd stand a chance of finding them again.

Microcontroller dev boards are about the only thing where you'd expect to see micro-USB still, after all. Given the update is basically flashing a binary onto an STM board with the normal tool, that's forgivable. Plus, you know, Pam's is a really nice little module that adds a lot of life to a rack, so I won't harbour too much of a grudge :hihi:
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

deft_bonz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:24 am

No worries. I really was surprise, there wasn't one in my box. I mean I still have PS2 mouse/keyboard cables. SCSI is also flying around. I kinda keep all cables, at least one of them. But nooooooo Micro USB is no more :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heading for lunch and USB cables now :party:

deft_bonz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:18 am

PS: I just remembered that PS4 controller uses micro connectors. But I guess, they just charge only and won't work. Got me a new USB cable anyway :D

deft_bonz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:42 am

ALM wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:51 pm
Just released 206 ! It just fixes the _|‾ rendering in 205!

http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/

(Knew I should of done a wider beta release :waah: )
It's done, thanks for the update. The Quantizer function is the best addon for me.
20200720_140530.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 am
Location: A2/MI/US

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by ModusOp » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 am

Can someone please tell me if the smooth random is AC or DC? I want to invert it outside of Pam’s but not sure if I need to offset it too.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:45 pm
Location: Austin, USA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by loydb » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am

I've either got a bad unit, or I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something. I have channels 1-7 set to x1, and channel 8 set to x16. When I hit play, all the LEDs on the expander act as expected, but I'm getting no outputs on any of the main 8 CV outs.

pam-bad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deft_bonz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:55 pm

loydb wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am
I've either got a bad unit, or I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something. I have channels 1-7 set to x1, and channel 8 set to x16. When I hit play, all the LEDs on the expander act as expected, but I'm getting no outputs on any of the main 8 CV outs.


pam-bad.jpg
Is it muted? Or you can try to reset channel 8 first. That's what I do, when the channel doesn't do what I initially wanted. Especially when there is Rskip = 100% ;)

shaun
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by shaun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Looks like a column of led's in my display have died.

I noticed it as part of the first U in Output is cut off consistently on my unit.

Oddly enough, this didn't happen until after I updated to 206.

I'm hoping it's not the screen but since no one else is mentioning this, I just have to assume it's a coincidence and not firmware related, and that a column of pixels died.

Fidi
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:39 am

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Fidi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:39 pm

shaun wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:54 pm
Looks like a column of led's in my display have died.

I noticed it as part of the first U in Output is cut off consistently on my unit.

Oddly enough, this didn't happen until after I updated to 206.

I'm hoping it's not the screen but since no one else is mentioning this, I just have to assume it's a coincidence and not firmware related, and that a column of pixels died.
If you hold down the encoder while powering on, there‘s a „OLED TEST-SCREEN“, might help you to narrow it down...

shaun
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by shaun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Fidi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:39 pm
If you hold down the encoder while powering on, there‘s a „OLED TEST-SCREEN“, might help you to narrow it down...
Thanks for the tip, looks like my screen is faulty.

That's disappointing, I got this brand new 3 months ago :eek:

Image

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:45 pm
Location: Austin, USA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by loydb » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:41 am

Update: My problem was firmware installed for the wrong PCB revision. Thanks to the FB hivemind for sorting me.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Having an interesting oddity with the new OS. I have a channel set to set a pulse. The skip setting is set to 80% (so not likely to send a pulse out). if I play everything works as expected. However, if I set RUN to RESET ON TRIG then when it RESETS it always plays the same gate pattern. It's similar to how LOOP works in that you can lock in a set of values and probabilities to make things predictable... except LOOP is set to zero.

If I unplug the gate to RESET then it goes back to being 80% skip... I plug the gate back into RESET it goes back to the exact same pattern as before.

Is this correct or a sneaky gremlin?
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by ALM » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:05 pm
Is this correct or a sneaky gremlin?
I think its always worked like this... what firmware were you on previously and was behaviour different ?

Hazza26
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Hazza26 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 am

OMG just found out about the Smooth Random addition.. I was mixing like 3 LFO outputs together for pseudo-random meanderings in my ambient patches, now I need only one! So pleased I held off on the Instruo øchd. This thing is an 8HP powerhouse.

deft_bonz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 am

Hazza26 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 am
OMG just found out about the Smooth Random addition.. I was mixing like 3 LFO outputs together for pseudo-random meanderings in my ambient patches, now I need only one! So pleased I held off on the Instruo øchd. This thing is an 8HP powerhouse.
I must admit, that I use PNW mostly for time-based modulation. Less often as "mere" gate trigger module.

Hazza26
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Hazza26 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:06 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 am
I must admit, that I use PNW mostly for time-based modulation. Less often as "mere" gate trigger module.
Yes me too so far. Should really delve into the rhythmic gate side more.

User avatar
ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 am
Location: A2/MI/US

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by ModusOp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:04 am

ModusOp wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 am
Can someone please tell me if the smooth random is AC or DC? I want to invert it outside of Pam’s but not sure if I need to offset it too.
Lost in the shuffle. Anyone?

ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by ronnieb » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 am

ModusOp wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:04 am
ModusOp wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 am
Can someone please tell me if the smooth random is AC or DC? I want to invert it outside of Pam’s but not sure if I need to offset it too.
Lost in the shuffle. Anyone?
90% sure it's AC as Pams only outputs 0v to +5V. But I may be missing something?

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:19 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 am
Hazza26 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 am
OMG just found out about the Smooth Random addition.. I was mixing like 3 LFO outputs together for pseudo-random meanderings in my ambient patches, now I need only one! So pleased I held off on the Instruo øchd. This thing is an 8HP powerhouse.
I must admit, that I use PNW mostly for time-based modulation. Less often as "mere" gate trigger module.
Same, I love the ability to have eight channels of lazy time-related modulation. I know it does so many other cool things, but I feel almost as though I'd want to buy another before using those, so I could keep all that goodness. Synced and reset-linked to my sequencer, it's a joy.

deft_bonz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:21 am

And now all these possibilities with the Logic functions. I almost don't dare to start using them... modulation-rabbit-hole ;)

User avatar
neumedi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by neumedi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:50 am

Hazza26 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 am
OMG just found out about the Smooth Random addition.. I was mixing like 3 LFO outputs together for pseudo-random meanderings in my ambient patches, now I need only one! So pleased I held off on the Instruo øchd. This thing is an 8HP powerhouse.
PNW is my go-to (I'm almost always exhausting all 8 outputs), but I still very much appreciate having øchd in my case as well. As easy as PNW is to configure, when I just need to grab a quick LFO (or several, that are sorta related), can't beat the immediacy of øchd. Having øchd and Clep Diaz around is fighting back my urge to get add a second PNW - for now. :hihi:

User avatar
tdallas
Common Wiggler
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by tdallas » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:57 am

neumedi wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:50 am
As easy as PNW is to configure, when I just need to grab a quick LFO (or several, that are sorta related), can't beat the immediacy of øchd.
+1 for this! :banana:

User avatar
ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 am
Location: A2/MI/US

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by ModusOp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:00 am

ronnieb wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 am
ModusOp wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:04 am
ModusOp wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 am
Can someone please tell me if the smooth random is AC or DC? I want to invert it outside of Pam’s but not sure if I need to offset it too.
Lost in the shuffle. Anyone?
90% sure it's AC as Pams only outputs 0v to +5V. But I may be missing something?
Thanks, ronnieb. That’s what I was thinking too, but thought I’d double check before finalizing any plans. :D

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:54 pm

ALM wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 am
OHEXOH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:05 pm
Is this correct or a sneaky gremlin?
I think its always worked like this... what firmware were you on previously and was behaviour different ?
I don't think I've ever used RUN to reset before - I've always used PAM & RUN Y with an external clock. I'm now using PAM as the clock source so out of all the options, using RUN as a RESET seems to be quite useful.

I'll try again with other channels to see if Skip seems to work as expected (ie: % random) or if it starts to predictively repeat itself when a RESET trig is received.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

User avatar
uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:11 pm
Location: LA

Re: Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:04 pm

ModusOp wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:00 am
ronnieb wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 am
ModusOp wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:04 am
ModusOp wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:58 am
Can someone please tell me if the smooth random is AC or DC? I want to invert it outside of Pam’s but not sure if I need to offset it too.
Lost in the shuffle. Anyone?
90% sure it's AC as Pams only outputs 0v to +5V. But I may be missing something?
Thanks, ronnieb. That’s what I was thinking too, but thought I’d double check before finalizing any plans. :D
That would make it DC. DC vs AC has more to do with frequency of signals though.
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”