Kammerl Beat-Repeat Effect for Clouds

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Richard Devine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard Devine » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:00 pm

My friend Julius created a alternative firmware for the Mutable Instruments’ Clouds which enables real-time slicing / beat-repeat features ported from the Kammerl Kaske VST plugin suite

Download it free from here:
http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/

video audio preview: Kammerl Clouds Video example

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:02 pm

:sb:

fnordboy
Common Wiggler

Post by fnordboy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:43 pm

:love: :love:

I need a Clouds running this.

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for sharing. Is this going into your live setup or are you still using parasites?

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 pm

dope! thanks for sharing and thanks to kammerl... i've long been a fan of the plug ins.

cityz3n
Common Wiggler

Clouds

Post by cityz3n » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Sounds great!
Thanks for posting and kammerl for making it possible.
Can't wait to try it out
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Can't wait to try it soon ! (and that someone makes a parasites + kammerl firmware :)

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Pre-amble: This is not a criticism, just a question.

Am I correct in thinking that this alt-firmware isn't open-source? I couldn't see any mention of source code availability, and I couldn't spot any source code for it on the author's GitHub account: https://github.com/jkammerl

The MIT license under which Olivier Gillet releases the source code for his digital modules doesn't require alternative firmware such as this, which is derived from Olivier's code, to be released under the same or another open-source license, and thus there is no imperative to make the source code for this alt firmware available.

The only requirement stipulated by the MIT license is to include a copy of the copyright notice and the license permission notice with every copy of any software derived from the original code.

If the derived code is also released under the same or another open-source license, then the copyright and permission notices are usually just displayed in the source code. But in the case of a proprietary, non-open-source, compiled binary-only distribution, as appears to be the case with this alt firmware, then the author must find some other way of meeting the MIT license requirements - usually by displaying the notices on the web page used to distribute or promote the software. It may be that that requirement may not have been met - but if so, that is easily remedied by just adding the required notices to the web page for the firmware.

Sorry to be pedantic, but strict compliance with open-source licensing requirements matters, or at least it does to those involved in writing open-source code.

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Now I need a front panel for clouds featuring naked people with animal heads! :hyper:
"Thank god for the drugs and drums." El-P
3amNoise | Synth Videos

TommyRaddcliff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TommyRaddcliff » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:35 pm

has anyone installed it?

i have issues when i turn up the WARM DISTORTION option.
clouds starts to freeze. cant change anything until i turn down the WARM DISTORTION blend.

do i need to reinstall?

adding...if i sintall with a slightly higher vol [2 green, 1 ever so slightly yellow LED], the WARM DISTORTION werks, but SLICE PROBABILITY, turned up, causes mad clipping now.

any direction on the best settings to get this sounding good would be great.
of get lots of clipping. [gain is only half way LEDs are only 2 green].

im using an A4 to calibrate. what should the range on for the pitch variation be like? i goes from mega deep to almost buzzing when its high. the voltage readout from the A4 is 1v to 3v when im calibrating

thanks

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 pm

I highly doubt that the volume you use to play in the FW can make it function differently- it's either going to load, or it's not.

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 pm

I installed and tried it out. No problems. It's really great for glitch. I'm very happy :) Much thanks to Kammerl!!!!

jkammerl
Common Wiggler

Post by jkammerl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Timmy@:
Thanks for pointing this out, Timmy. I added a license notice with Olivier Gillet' MIT license next to the download links.

TommyRaddcliff@:
I'm not sure why you experience distortion. Did you try disabling the feedback parameter? I don't think it is a calibration issue. Anyways, I'll try to add some more parameter bound checks to the distortion in the next update.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 pm

my favourite plugins for years, as a firmware in my favourite module...
:omg:

jenz
Voltage Controlled Corpse

Post by jenz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 pm

southberry wrote:Can't wait to try it soon ! (and that someone makes a parasites + kammerl firmware :)
+10000

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:07 am

Are there any other places to download this?
I keep getting a Google error message "Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently... come back in 24 hours"

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:15 am

Timmy wrote:The only requirement stipulated by the MIT license is to include a copy of the copyright notice and the license permission notice with every copy of any software derived from the original code.
It may be that that requirement may not have been met - but if so, that is easily remedied by just adding the required notices to the web page for the firmware.
I am not sure if the webpage was modified to include the license after you notified about it or if it was there before - but the "Installation" section includes a link to http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/NOTICE.txt so that appears to be in order now.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:52 am

Yes, this would be very pleasing, if possible.
jenz wrote:
southberry wrote:Can't wait to try it soon ! (and that someone makes a parasites + kammerl firmware :)
+10000

mattonyx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattonyx » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:38 am

Could somebody who has downloaded the wav please share? I keep getting this message:

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

Thanks!

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:56 am

mattonyx wrote:Could somebody who has downloaded the wav please share? I keep getting this message:

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

Thanks!
Same here

Tropic Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tropic Al » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:11 am

Liddlepud wrote:
mattonyx wrote:Could somebody who has downloaded the wav please share? I keep getting this message:

Thanks!
Same here
Yep me too, if anyone can post a working link that would be awesome!

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:26 am

I've downloaded the file just right now with no problem

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 am

Just tried again... still getting this!

"Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time."

md1frejo
Common Wiggler

Post by md1frejo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:06 am

does this need recalibration after installation as parasites does?

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 am

md1frejo wrote:does this need recalibration after installation as parasites does?
Yes. Always recalibrate when switching firmware on Clouds.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”