Xaoc Jena, Drezno, Lipsk: Leibniz Binary Subsystem update!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Just got both in a trade (well it will take a few days to arrive). Really looking forward to the expanders, as they seem unique in euro. The people who feel the demos don't show the modules potential, well I get that, but it's also a question of whether you want to use it primarily for audio rate. The same thing is true for something like just friends, do you want it as a harmonic oscillator or 6 linked LFOs/Envelopes.

For me, I'm more interested in audio rate because I've always like the sound of the sadly discontinued OTO biscuit. Of course, I'm looking to do more exploring with audio rate logic, clock division and switching, but just the basic fuctions seem to be a great tool in the arsenal for altering sounds. I wish there was a stereo link, as it seems like it would be great for processing stereo mixes. I guess I could always get two.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:56 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:I wish there was a stereo link, as it seems like it would be great for processing stereo mixes. I guess I could always get two.
If you get two, you can also send bits from signal A to signal B and vice versa. I've been tempted, but so far I only have one Drezno/Lipsk pair.

If you are looking for other fun audio rate companion modules, consider Rung Divisions. I've been having a blast with the pair. A clock divider like the Doepfer A-160-2 works well also, although the rungler is a bit more distinctive IMHO.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:25 pm

williamjturkel wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:I wish there was a stereo link, as it seems like it would be great for processing stereo mixes. I guess I could always get two.
If you get two, you can also send bits from signal A to signal B and vice versa. I've been tempted, but so far I only have one Drezno/Lipsk pair.

If you are looking for other fun audio rate companion modules, consider Rung Divisions. I've been having a blast with the pair. A clock divider like the Doepfer A-160-2 works well also, although the rungler is a bit more distinctive IMHO.
Interesting. I have the original doepfer clock divider and the trigger expander I'm definitely going to enjoy playing around with that. I may have to build another NLC Neuron as I traded mine long with my serge wave mults for it, but that would be an interesting pairing. I forget if there are decent shift register modules, but those would interesting as well, especially if you could which point in the memory you were outputting. Imagine an octo-shift register with 8 ins and 8 outs, each with a voltage controlled register output (aka, a VC sequential switch, that would do some insane stuff with the Drezno.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:42 pm

I’ve also wanted to experiment with a gate delay module, bit I don’t have one.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:48 pm

This was my first experiment with Drezno, Lipsk. Phonogene into Drezno into 3 Sisters into Erbe Verb:
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:24 am

Drezno / Lipsk in audio feedback loops: the sensitivity of the sliders work really well here.

Sookilala
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sookilala » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:47 am

MvK wrote:I've been in the Schneidersladen Xaoc workshop where they made a very detailed presentation of the two modules. It was recorded on video but wasn't able to find it. maybe it still needs editing.
[video][/video]

cheers for putting me onto this :)

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:39 am

Wow, thanks for finding that!

Wonder if the new 8 HP module will surface soon?

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Same here. I love the drezno, but it sounded like the the expander offered a number of really unique effects.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 am

I said I was mostly interested in using it at audio rate, but there are some interesting things you can do to derive rhythms from it that aren't "random", by deriving gates from tempo synced LFOs. In this video, I have a set 16 set pattern for BD, Snare, Cymbal, etc. and the Drezno is creating gates derived from an 4MS PEG with a slowly modulating waveshape:
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore » Mon May 06, 2019 5:04 pm

mgscheue wrote:Wow, thanks for finding that!

Wonder if the new 8 HP module will surface soon?
Erm, yeah.

I have just updated the original post with the information about:
Jena, Binary Transfunctioner, model of 1989.

Come visit us at booth E220 on Superbooth 2019 to play the Leibniz Binary Subsystem.
Last edited by mantiwhore on Mon May 06, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Livewire Chaos Computer, Kilpatrick Dual VCO, Dewanatron Triple Slice, Nord A1R, Elektron SPS-1 UW+ II

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Jena, Drezno, Lipsk: Leibniz Binary Subsystem updat

Post by mantiwhore » Mon May 06, 2019 5:05 pm

doubled, pls del.
WTB/T: Livewire Chaos Computer, Kilpatrick Dual VCO, Dewanatron Triple Slice, Nord A1R, Elektron SPS-1 UW+ II

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon May 06, 2019 5:13 pm

8-)

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Mon May 06, 2019 5:16 pm

You folks have really upped your design game. Looking forward to details and demos! :party:

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon May 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Interesting! Can both Jena and Lipsk be used with Drezno at the same time or can only one be connected?

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore » Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 pm

mgscheue wrote:Interesting! Can both Jena and Lipsk be used with Drezno at the same time or can only one be connected?
Yes they can.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 pm

:tu:

Muse FTW
Common Wiggler

Post by Muse FTW » Mon May 06, 2019 8:47 pm

You know, I felt really dumb for not being able to understand the Drezno Lipsk combo when I had them, and I still don't, but Jena looks so cool I want to try them all again.

XAOC's design game is so on point. Seriously - some of the prettiest modules in the game. I want to make a XAOC only case. :hail:

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm so excited for this. Drezno and Lipsk are two of my favorite modules right now.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Post by Virusinstaller » Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 pm

I've always been intrigued by the Drezno Lipsk combo, now with Jena it seems inevitable this will end up in the rack.

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:I'm so excited for this. Drezno and Lipsk are two of my favorite modules right now.
Same here. And I just added a second Drezno so I can cross feedback paths while the signals are in binary form.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 am

Jena demo:

wetlands
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wetlands » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:19 pm

I’m jazzed about Jena — little confused about the bit outputs. Are these the bits after the wavetable ops? I’m interesting complex binary transformations and wondering how the Jena bits are would be used with Drezno inputs. :hyper:

Tomek Mirt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tomek Mirt » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Are these the bits after the wavetable ops?
yes, this are outputs of wavetables. You can mix them with bits of original wave fed to drezno input, use as triggers for rhythm (there is one specific bank for this duties), one bank spits walsh functions from this outputs. If you have both Lipsk and Jena connected you can flip the bits in Lipsk with this outs. And probably tou can do other crazy things with it :party:

Tomek Mirt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tomek Mirt » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:17 am

[video][/video]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”