Xaoc Jena, Drezno, Lipsk: Leibniz Binary Subsystem update!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:05 am

Tomek Mirt wrote:[video][/video]
Tomek, stop teasing us and put the Jena up for sale already!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 am

Some really neat animated timbres in there. How hard is it to find them? What techniques seem to work best?

Tomek Mirt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tomek Mirt » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:37 pm

It is already in production, and should be out with Odessa, maybe week or two later, as Odessa is priority for most wigglers :zombie: and we'll test and pack this first.
How hard is it to find them? What techniques seem to work best?
IMO it isn't hard at all, video is just fraction of possibilities and we've included some solutions to minimize frustration. Like sync mode if you want just plain wavetable oscillator or trigger generator easily following frequency of incoming signal. Unlike wavetable oscillators tables of waves in Jena are designed for different duties, like cv shaping, waves spiting regular rhythms from bit outputs but not so amazing on analogue output :).
I believe that with this module whole Leibniz Subsystem starts to shine.

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Tomek Mirt wrote:It is already in production, and should be out with Odessa, maybe week or two later, as Odessa is priority for most wigglers :zombie: and we'll test and pack this first.
That's fantastic news, thank you!

Utopian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Utopian » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Tomek Mirt wrote:It is already in production, and should be out with Odessa
Great news! I am waiting for Odessa and will probably get some Leibniz modules to at some point.

Can you shed some light on the Leibniz subsystem integration of Odessa?

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:29 am

So Jena is based on some kind of Walsh function A/D transformation,right?
Want this so bad!
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:18 am

Jena maps from digital signals to digital signals. It may be used as a digital waveshaper or wavetable oscillator. It offers multiple banks of functions/shapes, and one of them offers Walsh functions generated on its individual bit outputs.

Individual Walsh functions sound like square waves, sometimes like digital transmission or just noise. What is interesting is that combining these functions one can obtain any other shape.

Since there are 256 Walsh functions in the 8-bit domain, and there is only 8 outputs in Jena, only a subset of them is available simultaneously. Actually, that special bank of Jena offers 256 sets, each consisting of different combinations of these 8 out of 256 functions. You can feed them to a 8-channel mixer or 8 VCAs and manipulate their amplitude to produce signals in an additive way.

Please note: Jena does not offer Walsh transforming of signals. That is an entirely different operation.

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for this explanation. I have been mystified by Jena and the walsh synthesis implementation.

Found this by searching after welsh-functions:

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:51 pm

I want to print that picture out and color it with markers.

desdinova
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desdinova » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:51 am

Any room for a scales bank? Dense set of quantized voltages is always handy.

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am

I am not sure the 8bit output of Jena/Drezno has high enough resolution for that?

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:52 am

desdinova wrote:Any room for a scales bank? Dense set of quantized voltages is always handy.
jbrandtp wrote:I am not sure the 8bit output of Jena/Drezno has high enough resolution for that?
Binary values, regardless of resolution, are already "quantized" and will sound in perfect tune if scaled correctly. Check out Benjolin patches, for example, they never sound off. The 3 bit DAC in the Benjolin produces eight discreet values placed apart from each other in musical intervals. I think the binary system fits musical intervals because those intervals are powers of two (for a full octave) and derivatives thereof.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

desdinova
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desdinova » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:15 pm

I mean in the fashion of the old Richter Megawave, unless I'm misunderstanding her capabilities.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm

edit: (nothing new to add, deleted)
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

wetlands
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wetlands » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Psyched to pickup Jena. Will all Leibniz modules have black panels available?

wetlands
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wetlands » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Will Leibniz series bit inputs respond to 1v gates? And, are expander outputs all standard 5v?

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:57 pm

wetlands wrote:Will Leibniz series bit inputs respond to 1v gates? And, are expander outputs all standard 5v?
No it responds to 2.5 V gates, I think.

Expander output (Lipsk) as well as Drezno output are binary 5V gate-outputs. The main Drezno CV-output is -10 +10 V output.

wetlands
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wetlands » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks jbrandtp. Didn't consider... but I'll test this out tonight

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:27 pm

wetlands wrote:Thanks jbrandtp. Didn't consider... but I'll test this out tonight
You're welcome :-)

Forgot to add, that the Drezno main CV-output off course can be scaled!

wetlands
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wetlands » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:42 pm

jbrandtp – I see the Ana, Maths, distings, and another Drez... what other (logic) modules are you using with Drezno?

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:25 am

wetlands wrote:jbrandtp – I see the Ana, Maths, distings, and another Drez... what other (logic) modules are you using with Drezno?
Aah, you have seen my case at modulargrid!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/487293

Yes, I have two Drezno/Lipsk systems. Having two opens up many new posibilities.

Above them (and slightly to the left) I have the section, that I use together with the Dreznos:

That is: Intellijels Plog (logic), two Ladik Derivators (cv-analysing), Mystic Cirquit Ana (logic cv-combining). Then I have the NLC The Hypster, which adds chaotic cv and finally Fancyyyyyy's Rung Division. The Rung Division works really well with the Dreznos, so you should check it out!

Yesterday I was a little hasty, when I called the main output of the Drezno for a CV-output, as it works with audio as well!

When I work with audio in teh Dreznos, I prefer sending simple triangle or saw-waves into it, and the mangle with the bits.

I am currently considering the SM010 Matrixarchate from SSSR Labs, so I could do "clock rotation" on the Drezno.

overall I find it fascinating to work with binary signals in analog domain.

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:05 pm

There's a manual for Jena finally available:

http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_jena_manual.pdf
Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Livewire Chaos Computer, Kilpatrick Dual VCO, Dewanatron Triple Slice, Nord A1R, Elektron SPS-1 UW+ II

Swain Voorman
Common Wiggler

Post by Swain Voorman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Wonderful, thank you. This is very helpful.

I might have missed it earlier but are there any future plans for the Leibniz subsystem or is Jena going to be it for a while?

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:34 am

Thank you. Wow, that really does look like it adds a lot to the system. A few questions after a quick read of the manual.

Suppose you have the ribbon cables connected so that Drezno goes into Jena and then back into Drezno in a loopback With link active, that decouples the internal A/D -> D/A connection in Drezno, right? What happens, then, if you self-patch individual 8-bit outs to ins on the Drezno? Nothing, I imagine?

But then, again, with link active, you could take the bit outputs on the Jena and put them into the bit ins on the Drezno, correct? And that would override the ribbon connection for those particular bits? Or you could turn off link and patch the individual bits back into Drezno however you like?

And a Lipsk could be used to invert bits going into Jena, pre-transformation, or out of Jena, post-transformation, correct? Or both if two Lipsks were used?

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:06 am

I think it works a little different.
At least with the Lipsk connected, nothing goes into Lipsk (and probably also Jena) unless you activate the link-button on the Drezno. The signal from Lipsk (and Jena?) is overruled, if you patch anything in the individual bits on the output-side on Drezno.

When you deactivate the link button on Jena, the signal from Drezno (or Lipsk) just pass thru unaffected and goes back in Drezno.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”