New Erica Synths drum sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Re: New Erica Synths drum sequencer

Post by resynthesize » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:56 pm

is there a way to adjust micro timing at the track level? I often use this to correct for latency for midi devices by sending the triggers a little earlier compared to the rest of the outs, but it's a pain to adjust every step to the same utm value. being able to set this for all steps in a track would be awesome.

ringokidf
Common Wiggler

Post by ringokidf » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi DSérs

Happy owner of the Drum Sequencer and still enjoying it every day.

I´m making beats and since I use it a lot, the 8 banks keeps getting full. I know due to contact with ES that you can´t save patterns to a computer for later use and thus I keep clearing and reprogramming the patterns. I think it´s gr8 with limitations and it makes me experimenting with new ways of programing and play the sequencer.

I love the fact that I can mute(1 or more tracks) and solo that easy (still need to get in to the fills) it´s really super for live playing.
But I would love to be able to have a feat that could randomize the play back of all or just selected tracks or remix tracks between different patterns.(if that makes sense)

Is there any jam tricks in the making or is the sequencer at the limit of it´s capability?

Also I´m not really using the CV/Gate track, I tried but to me it fell a bit uninspiring, maybe it´s just me? If you could prove me wrong about the CV/Gate please let me know and get me back in the game and if anybody have some cool jam tools please feel free to share.

Thanks

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:16 pm

User Request:

Option to individually switch LFO outputs to CV (1v/Octave) outputs with scale functionality.

:sb:

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 pm

The feature I would like the most is a shortcut to program the muting of a track when it's over.

Manually muting works perfectly, but sometimes it would be nice to tell the sequencer "stop this track when you reach the last step". I know I can do it with patterns but I just want something more live-friendly, like a shortcut with the mute button

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Speaking of mutes, is there a way to mute the CV/Gate track other than clicking the encoder ? Mine doesn't "click" very well; I have to push very strongly on it to have it mute. Not ideal.

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 pm
Speaking of mutes, is there a way to mute the CV/Gate track other than clicking the encoder ? Mine doesn't "click" very well; I have to push very strongly on it to have it mute. Not ideal.
Remove the encoder cap and stuff something in there to make the cap sit higher on the potentiometer.

ringokidf
Common Wiggler

Post by ringokidf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:54 am

ggillon wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:48 pm
The feature I would like the most is a shortcut to program the muting of a track when it's over.

Manually muting works perfectly, but sometimes it would be nice to tell the sequencer "stop this track when you reach the last step". I know I can do it with patterns but I just want something more live-friendly, like a shortcut with the mute button
Yes good idea.

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Anyone else noticed the DS clk output is erratic when in MID mode, even if the internal triggers are bang on and you have a good midi signal (Expert Sleepers ES5 etc)?

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Hello everyone. This module looks amazing but I’m wondering if you guys could shed a little light here. What’s the approximate threshold of drum modules you need to have to not make this module overkill? My drum/percussion modules will pretty much be one kick, snare, hats, clap, and a Plaits.

Edit: I just remembered that I plan on getting an Assimil8or so I guess this module might not be overkill after all.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:46 pm
Hello everyone. This module looks amazing but I’m wondering if you guys could shed a little light here. What’s the approximate threshold of drum modules you need to have to not make this module overkill? My drum/percussion modules will pretty much be one kick, snare, hats, clap, and a Plaits.

Edit: I just remembered that I plan on getting an Assimil8or so I guess this module might not be overkill after all.
You can use triggers for all sorts of things besides triggering drum modules. For example envelopes, lfos, on/off parameters on modules (e.g., the freeze parameter on some digital delays), the reset input on sequencer modules, alternative clock patterns, and the list goes on...

The CV and LFO outputs on the Drum Sequencer are very useful as well. It also has drum fills, probability triggers, pattern chaining and song mode, which a lot of other similarly featured Eurorack Sequencers lack.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:46 pm

I have four dedicated drum modules but still use 15 out of the 16 triggers, plus half the accents. 16th is used as a reset. I sequence everything with it, enveloppes for vca, modulation, I clock pamela with triggers... frankly you'll find soon enough that all these are very handy to have. I also often use the LFOs, and even though I find the CV/Gate portion a bit unintuitive I've started to use it more and it's quite powerful. It's a great, super immediate and fun sequencer with a few interesting tricks. Very jam-able.

As a comparison I had a Metron in my hands at the shop to try out Crater and couldn't even figure how to press play, let alone modulate gate length - probably still a great sequencer once you spend more than five seconds with it. Also, it feels super tiny; the keys on the DS are hard to beat.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:31 pm

ipassenger wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 pm
Anyone else noticed the DS clk output is erratic when in MID mode, even if the internal triggers are bang on and you have a good midi signal (Expert Sleepers ES5 etc)?
Yes, I always use a trigger to clock other stuff when I record. Plus it has that annoying bug that the 48pp setting is not saved so you have to set it up everytime you power up your case; so I just switched to triggers instead of using the clock out. Pamela can redistribute clocks as needed.

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:31 pm
Yes, I always use a trigger to clock other stuff when I record. Plus it has that annoying bug that the 48pp setting is not saved so you have to set it up everytime you power up your case; so I just switched to triggers instead of using the clock out. Pamela can redistribute clocks as needed.
[/quote]
Cheers

Need the 24ppqn for the ER101 to clock, so guess the trigs won’t go fast enough, could try 32notes I guess.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:09 pm

I do clock Pamela's with 32 notes but it's still only 8ppqn.You could maybe try doubling the tempo ? It only goes to 250 though. Or you need to send that 32 notes to a clock multiplier. Bit annoying.

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm

You can send the 101 any clock you like but it doesn’t always seem to start right with lower res clocks or at least it hasn’t with the DS anyway.

sine language
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sine language » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:17 am

So excuse my dislexia but could someone point me to the part in the manual that shows you how to save patterns? Because the record button doesn’t seem to do it; everytime I power off I lose all my work and have to start again...

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:35 am

Really ? I never had such a problem... Are you on the latest OS ?

sine language
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sine language » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:49 pm

I’m on 1.043 I think

Bought second hand and never updated because I was worried about stuffing things up. Had for 3 weeks now. So just pressing record button should save settings for next time?

How are banks, etc saved?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Then you should probably update. It's fairly easy with a good midi interface. There's been a few cool things added too : http://www.ericasynths.lv/news/drum-seq ... changelog/

Hitting the record button should save everything.

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am

Anyway to tap record trigs without quantization to grid?
Can't find it in the manual.

shifted
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shifted » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:32 pm

ipassenger wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 pm
+1

Midi clock in is basically useless, I’m using a ERM multiclock and even with that timing is all over the place both internally and on the clock out. Back to using a trigger.
Avian/Mira

thealienthing
Common Wiggler

Post by thealienthing » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Wow. Those mechanical keys are sexy.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:09 am

I just realised after a year+ of use that my accents don't work properly, or there's a setting that I haven't set properly maybe.I though they were working, never really paid too much attention tbh, but watching a video earlier on about the Metron and their new Axxent module I realised that my patterns were absolutely not as dynamic.

I have Crater, Chimera, BD808 MA 808 and Hats 808, same results on all of them. I can get accents if I use a second trigger out of the DS or any other trigger source in my system. But as soon as I use the track's dedicated accent I only get straight full blast hits.

I am on 1.55 and I have played around with the settings but so far I haven't found the solution.

I feel like other have had the same problem, can't be sure.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:37 am

ggillon wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:23 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 pm
Remove the encoder cap and stuff something in there to make the cap sit higher on the potentiometer.
I have the exact same issue with the right encoder on my Graphic VCO, great advice.
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”