New Erica Synths drum sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am

Yloopz wrote:So... search is broken, I didnt read the whole thread and I scanned the manual... but is there a choke function?
Only produces short triggers so no need for choke function. If you have a module with choke input you can use a trigger from any channel to activate it. Modules like Tiptop HATS909 use closed HH as choke for open HH. If you give me a specific situation I can probably help. :cheesy:

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Fri May 10, 2019 12:36 pm

It doesn’t have choke groups.

But I use it with both Erica Hats D and Mutant Hats modules, both do the choke in the module versus needing it in the sequencer.
FS: Metropolis $475, Intellijel Dual ADSR $175 and lots more

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi Folks
Any of you is using the song mode while the DS is used as slave ?
I did read the manual but to be honest, I dont understand how to create a song with it.
Anyone could give few adivces ?
Cheers

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm

I gave an explanation of how song mode works on the prior page (21). Its a bit counter intuitive but does work.
batch wrote:
SNG = the song number
LEN = total number of positions in the song (for your example you need this to be at least 2)
POS = the position itself
PAT = what plays

So to assuming you have patterns that are each a bar long and you want to create an 8 bar song, you set LEN=8, then choose the pattern you want in POS=1 (ie bar 1), POS=2, etc.

Personally have asked (a long way back in this thread) to change the implementation to be

SNG=Song number
POS=position/ part
PAT=the pattern to play
RPT=number of times the pattern repeats in that position

I think this would be more intuitive and have better workflow

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:59 pm

batch wrote:I gave an explanation of how song mode works on the prior page (21). Its a bit counter intuitive but does work.
[quote="Batch”]

SNG = the song number
LEN = total number of positions in the song (for your example you need this to be at least 2)
POS = the position itself
PAT = what plays

So to assuming you have patterns that are each a bar long and you want to create an 8 bar song, you set LEN=8, then choose the pattern you want in POS=1 (ie bar 1), POS=2, etc.

Personally have asked (a long way back in this thread) to change the implementation to be

SNG=Song number
POS=position/ part
PAT=the pattern to play
RPT=number of times the pattern repeats in that position

I think this would be more intuitive and have better workflow
[/quote]

Good idea because to me the one we have isn't very intuitive. For example, what's the position ?

I mean, this is what I understood :

Song number : The number of the folder that include your song ?
LEN : number of repeat of the pattern ?
POS : don't understand what it means
PAT : what plays = which patterns ?

Am I that wrong ?

Cheers man

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed May 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Think of length as the number of bars and then position as the specific bar. You then select each bar/pos and set the pattern you want to play.

For example, to create a song which uses two patterns in an ABAB structure where A is pattern 1 and B is pattern 2 structure you would do the following

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = 1

Then select POS and change to 2, then select PAT set to 2
Then select POS and change to 3, then select PAT and set to 1
Then select POS and change to 4, then select PAT and set to 2

This should give you a pattern that’s ABAB

Make sense?

If you wanted a pattern that’s ABAC where C is pattern 3

Change to POS 4 and change PAT to 3

Hope this helps.

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm

batch wrote:Think of length as the number of bars and then position as the specific bar. You then select each bar/pos and set the pattern you want to play.

For example, to create a song which uses two patterns in an ABAB structure where A is pattern 1 and B is pattern 2 structure you would do the following

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = 1

Then select POS and change to 2, then select PAT set to 2
Then select POS and change to 3, then select PAT and set to 1
Then select POS and change to 4, then select PAT and set to 2

This should give you a pattern that’s ABAB

Make sense?

If you wanted a pattern that’s ABAC where C is pattern 3

Change to POS 4 and change PAT to 3

Hope this helps.
Yes I just did it now. Thank you !!! But as you said .. not easy to understand. Hope your idea will be in the next FW. It's cool to get a dedicated song mode. Using it as slave with the Nerdseq, it's a big win !

And a big thing we have to get is that the RESET has to put the song mode at the beginning no ?

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:55 am

Having fun learning how the Song Mode works but I have another question.

If I want to repeat the Pattern 01 - 4 times and then the Pattern 02 - 04 times, I do this :

Pattern 01 - 4 times

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = A1

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 2
PAT = A1

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 3
PAT = A1

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 4
PAT = A1

Right ? But when I do this :

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = A2

Etc ... The Song goes back to :

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = A1

Do I miss something ?

Cheers guys

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Thu May 16, 2019 7:08 am

Carmelo_P82 wrote:Having fun learning how the Song Mode works but I have another question.

If I want to repeat the Pattern 01 - 4 times and then the Pattern 02 - 04 times, I do this :

Pattern 01 - 4 times

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = A1

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 2
PAT = A1

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 3
PAT = A1

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 4
PAT = A1

Right ? But when I do this :

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = A2

Etc ... The Song goes back to :

SNG = 1
LEN = 4
POS = 1
PAT = A1

Do I miss something ?

Cheers guys
4xPattern 1 + 4x Pattern 2 = LEN =8

POS 1 to 4 = A1
POS 5 to 8 = A2

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu May 16, 2019 8:56 am

That’s right, you need to set LEN to 8.

@Kodek - I still think my suggestion would make song mode more intuitive. Appreciate you have a lot going on. But as you can see from this thread, the current set up is a bit confusing. Any chance it could be changed? You might want to think about this for the new sequencer. Two other asks

1. BPM arming - press shift, change BPM, have it take effect when you release the shift button. This would be awesome.

2. Save BPM with pattern so when you load Pattern BPM could change. Would be nice if this was an option you could turn on/ off globally.

BTW - have to say that I thought you were the SB19 winners! So many cool new modules, simply amazing. Can’t wait to get my hands on so many of them.

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Yes it worked thank you guys.

Kodek, if you read this is it possible to add :

- Song goes to POS1 when Reset
- When in mute mode the Song stay in the same position until you go out of the mute menu. Possible to fix this too ?

Thank you :)

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:04 am

Hello guys,
I did contact Kodek about this but it looks like my Drum Sequencer miss somme trigger. Here is a video where I play a simple pattern and you’ll hear that sometimes the DS play the pattern without triggering the kick drum
I didn’t put any probability or so and I tried with different pulse in the settings.
Link :

Any ideas ?

Thank you :waah:

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:29 am

And here is another vidéo after I tried an EEPROM :

link :

13'' and around 20" you can clearly hear that the Drum Sequencer miss a step i can see the led of TR1 that doesn't flash...

:(

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sun May 19, 2019 10:57 am

Is there any way to customize the start up message?

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sun May 19, 2019 11:17 am

Carmelo_P82 wrote:Hello guys,
I did contact Kodek about this but it looks like my Drum Sequencer miss somme trigger. Here is a video where I play a simple pattern and you’ll hear that sometimes the DS play the pattern without triggering the kick drum
I didn’t put any probability or so and I tried with different pulse in the settings.
Link :

Any ideas ?

Thank you :waah:
I would say the first thing you need to try is to send the gates from that track to a different module and see if it still misses any. It may be the receiving module is not responding to all triggers rather than Drum Sequencer missing any. Some modules can be picky about triggers.

If it does turn out that the module is not responding to all triggers you can try using different trigger lengths until you find one that works best with that particular module.

Hope that helps. :tu:

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Wed May 22, 2019 11:58 am

Hi all! I've recently purchased this drum sequencer and the Erica synths bass drum. I'm trying to get the bass drum to trigger from the sequencer via the internal connection. And I can't seem to get it to work. It will trigger once upon pressing play, but then after that it's either unresponsive or fires on one step out of 16 everytime. Does anyone have any advice on how to properly set this up, or if I'm doing something wrong when connecting the cable on the backside of these modules?

Also, in tap mode, I can get the first button press to trigger the drum but then I have to wait like 10 seconds for it to respond to another tap.

Everything on the sequencer lights up correctly though.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed May 22, 2019 11:58 pm

plainjanefrancis wrote:Hi all! I've recently purchased this drum sequencer and the Erica synths bass drum. I'm trying to get the bass drum to trigger from the sequencer via the internal connection. And I can't seem to get it to work. It will trigger once upon pressing play, but then after that it's either unresponsive or fires on one step out of 16 everytime. Does anyone have any advice on how to properly set this up, or if I'm doing something wrong when connecting the cable on the backside of these modules?

Also, in tap mode, I can get the first button press to trigger the drum but then I have to wait like 10 seconds for it to respond to another tap.

Do you have the cable the right way round? I use the internal connections and have no issues, but you have to have the cable the right way round as one way it’s the accent and the other it’s the trigger. It’s marked on both pcbs

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 am

batch wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:Hi all! I've recently purchased this drum sequencer and the Erica synths bass drum. I'm trying to get the bass drum to trigger from the sequencer via the internal connection. And I can't seem to get it to work. It will trigger once upon pressing play, but then after that it's either unresponsive or fires on one step out of 16 everytime. Does anyone have any advice on how to properly set this up, or if I'm doing something wrong when connecting the cable on the backside of these modules?

Do you have the cable the right way round? I use the internal connections and have no issues, but you have to have the cable the right way round as one way it’s the accent and the other it’s the trigger. It’s marked on both pcbs
:doh: this did the trick. I should have used my eyes. Thank you!

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:20 am

I think I have a small issue with the trigger level coming from my drum seq. It looks like is 1 of the 16 trig is at a lower voltage than the other.
I can also see the LED light less bright. One consequence is that my analogue drum modules are triggered at lower volume, like SY0.5 or Kickall..

Anybody else with similar issue?

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Mon May 27, 2019 7:21 pm

freerider197 wrote:I think I have a small issue with the trigger level coming from my drum seq. It looks like is 1 of the 16 trig is at a lower voltage than the other.
I can also see the LED light less bright. One consequence is that my analogue drum modules are triggered at lower volume, like SY0.5 or Kickall..

See my post above. Check the gate length.

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Precarious wrote:
freerider197 wrote:I think I have a small issue with the trigger level coming from my drum seq. It looks like is 1 of the 16 trig is at a lower voltage than the other.

See my post above. Check the gate length.
I already did but I am afraid this is something that happens semi randonly as I powered the system on /off and iI noticed its not always behaving as such....Now I changed the setting of pulses from "10" form "6" (even though they suggest longer pulses for analog module right?) and it seems to be fine or at least haven't hear any "muted" sound on Kickall/SY0.5

thefishman77
Learning to Wiggle

Are new MIDI in features possible?

Post by thefishman77 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Just a quick question for anyone who may know. Would it be possible to add some more MIDI functionality in a future update? Some thoughts I've had are:

1.Being able to play notes in from a keyboard for programming the CV sequencers.
2. Playing the drum triggers from MIDI notes.

Maybe none of this is possible with the hardware, but just a thought.
Thanks!

Blackblacky
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Are new MIDI in features possible?

Post by Blackblacky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:28 pm

thefishman77 wrote:Just a quick question for anyone who may know. Would it be possible to add some more MIDI functionality in a future update? Some thoughts I've had are:

1.Being able to play notes in from a keyboard for programming the CV sequencers.
2. Playing the drum triggers from MIDI notes.

Maybe none of this is possible with the hardware, but just a thought.
Thanks!
Yeah, the possibility to play a note trough midi while holding a key on the drum sequencer to program it, would really make it's cv sequencer a lot more useful and fun to use.

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 am

whats the deal with the keys colour? the black looks cool and all but i imagine hard to see in the dark? has the keys changed to black now or can i choose the colour or whats the go?

Splinter(UA)
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Splinter(UA) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 am

Hey guys, anybody did test it about "Internal clock jitter" and "Latency External Clock"? This very interesting for artist which like play live act with other desktop devices. Tnx.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”