New Erica Synths drum sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

nbugayev
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nbugayev » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:16 am

I have the Techno System. The manual trigger buttons on the drum modules only work if the Drum Sequencer (1.054) transport is running AND at least one trigger has been sent from the Drum Sequencer. If the Drum Sequencer is stopped, the drum modules don't respond anymore to either manual trigger or signals on the trigger input. It looks like the accent is defaulting to 0, as I can get the triggers (manual and trigg jack) working again if I send a positive signal to the accent input jack. Maybe this is related to the internal connection of the Drum Sequencer which perhaps is sending a zero signal when transport is off.

In any case, is there any way to avoid this behavior and have the manual/trigger on the drum modules always working, with or without accent input?

edit: I just checked the 1.054 changelog and it seems that this bug is still occurring for me (my Drum Sequencer says 1.054 on startup)
- Fixed Accent dropped to 0V when sequencer is stopped

Any insight?

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:35 am

nbugayev wrote:I have the Techno System. The manual trigger buttons on the drum modules only work if the Drum Sequencer (1.054) transport is running AND at least one trigger has been sent from the Drum Sequencer. If the Drum Sequencer is stopped, the drum modules don't respond anymore to either manual trigger or signals on the trigger input. It looks like the accent is defaulting to 0, as I can get the triggers (manual and trigg jack) working again if I send a positive signal to the accent input jack. Maybe this is related to the internal connection of the Drum Sequencer which perhaps is sending a zero signal when transport is off.

In any case, is there any way to avoid this behavior and have the manual/trigger on the drum modules always working, with or without accent input?

edit: I just checked the 1.054 changelog and it seems that this bug is still occurring for me (my Drum Sequencer says 1.054 on startup)

Any insight?
As far as I know the manual triggers don't work when a cable is patched in the accent input with 0V, regardless of the sequencer running.

I'll check tonight if it's something from the module side or sequencer side but I believe it's the modules.

If it's the case I don't think a patch can help in any way.

nbugayev
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nbugayev » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:26 am

ggillon wrote:
nbugayev wrote:I have the Techno System. The manual trigger buttons on the drum modules only work if the Drum Sequencer (1.054) transport is running AND at least one trigger has been sent from the Drum Sequencer. If the Drum Sequencer is stopped, the drum modules don't respond anymore to either manual trigger or signals on the trigger input. It looks like the accent is defaulting to 0, as I can get the triggers (manual and trigg jack) working again if I send a positive signal to the accent input jack. Maybe this is related to the internal connection of the Drum Sequencer which perhaps is sending a zero signal when transport is off.

Any insight?
As far as I know the manual triggers don't work when a cable is patched in the accent input with 0V, regardless of the sequencer running.

I'll check tonight if it's something from the module side or sequencer side but I believe it's the modules.

I do not have any cables patched in to the accent inputs of the drum modules.

I do not have any cables patched in to the trigger input of the drum modules.

The Drum Sequencer and the drum modules are patched with the internal connections.

The manual trigger buttons do not work, seemingly because the Drum Sequencer is sending 0V to accent input via internal connection.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:51 am

nbugayev wrote:
ggillon wrote:

Any insight?

The Drum Sequencer and the drum modules are patched with the internal connections.

The manual trigger buttons do not work, seemingly because the Drum Sequencer is sending 0V to accent input via internal connection.
Ah yes I forgot you have tbe internally patched case. It's probably the same behavior. The interal patching is the same as a normal patching.

Yes 0v being sent to the modules in the accent input is what causes the non responsiveness of the manual trigger.

My point remains, this seems to be an issue more on the drum modules side than the sequencer. The modules shouldn't expect positive accent CV to be triggered manually.

I guess we could make the sequencer send accent signals all the time but that would be a weird workaround.

It really makes working with accents more difficult, most times I just unplug accent to avoid the issue but in your case it's not even an option

nbugayev
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nbugayev » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:32 am

ggillon wrote:
nbugayev wrote:
ggillon wrote:

Any insight?

Ah yes I forgot you have tbe internally patched case. It's probably the same behavior. The interal patching is the same as a normal patching.

Yes 0v being sent to the modules in the accent input is what causes the non responsiveness of the manual trigger.

My point remains, this seems to be an issue more on the drum modules side than the sequencer. The modules shouldn't expect positive accent CV to be triggered manually.

I guess we could make the sequencer send accent signals all the time but that would be a weird workaround.

It really makes working with accents more difficult, most times I just unplug accent to avoid the issue but in your case it's not even an option
It's not only working with accents that is more difficult, it is also difficult to trigger the drum modules via any other signal in the trigger inputs.

It does look like "accent dropping to 0V when the sequencer is stopped" is a bug, as it is mentioned in the changelog for 1.054. A non-zero default value via the internal connection would be very handy, and presents no drawbacks as far as I can see.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:20 pm

I don’t think I have this issue. I don’t have the techno system but am using the internal connections (added the headers myself).

The manual switches work on the drum modules when the sequencer isn’t running (including when it hasn’t been run).

Am also on 1.054.
FS: HandSonic $800, Patchulator $125, 2hp Verb $100, ES Dual Drive $190, Motomouth Filter $200 and lots more

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:35 am

OK so I played a bit with the drum modules and accent input to understand what's going on.

Basically if the accent is patched (internally or with a patch cable) then it will act as an attenuator with no sound at all at 0V and increasing until you go to 5V

So unless there's voltage in the accent input, you won't get any sound.

I guess that when the sequencer is stopped, when a track is muted, you don't have any accent voltage, causing the modules to be silent.

I don't know if it can be fixed easily inside the sequencer.

Previously I believed that the accent would only increase the volume of the module, but it acts more like a VCA, which kind of makes sense.

At least I can remove the accent patch cable to avoid this, but if you have the internal connection I don't know what you can do without a Drum Sequencer update

Mal uns
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mal uns » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 pm

did not read every single post but i think none did ask for individual gate lenght... like on the cv track to get the oportunity to play longer gates. would be extremly cool!! what do you guys think about that?

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Mal uns wrote:did not read every single post but i think none did ask for individual gate lenght... like on the cv track to get the oportunity to play longer gates. would be extremly cool!! what do you guys think about that?
I think that would be awesome. I use 4 of my drum sequencer channels for melodies.
FS: HandSonic $800, Patchulator $125, 2hp Verb $100, ES Dual Drive $190, Motomouth Filter $200 and lots more

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:07 am

Mal uns wrote:did not read every single post but i think none did ask for individual gate lenght... like on the cv track to get the oportunity to play longer gates. would be extremly cool!! what do you guys think about that?
You can already change gate lenghts and also tie gates on the CV/Gate track, probably that's why nobody talked about it :P

The others are trig track so you can change the trig lenghs but it won't change much as is still a trig (very short voltage spike, not really time sensitive)

Analog Music
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Analog Music » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:58 am

So where are we with the copy and paste is it working properly ?

Can anybody clear up how to get copy and paste working , I have auto on but
I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong ?
When I push copy and paste nothing happens .

Analog Music
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Analog Music » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 am

Any insight?
I also have Techno system and can confirm this behavior , it saddens me because I luv it so much , I just got it .

Why does the stop button also start and play
Does anybody else sequencer play when hitting the stop key button weird behavior or maybe it's just me ?

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:20 am

Analog Music wrote:

Any insight?
I also have Techno system and can confirm this behavior , it saddens me because I luv it so much , I just got it .

Why does the stop button also start and play
Does anybody else sequencer play when hitting the stop key button weird behavior or maybe it's just me ?

Is a normal behaviour; if you hit STOP , the sequencer will obviously stop if you hit it again, the sequencer will start from the exact step it was stopped in the first place, while if you hit PLAY it actually starts always from the 1st step of your sequence.

Mal uns
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mal uns » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:44 am

are you all serious? you dont want a TIE-funktion on all tracks? imagine the basslines and melodies you could create... it would be a major break through to me!

Analog Music
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Analog Music » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Please help , just got Techno System

Anybody know how to use copy and paste on drum sequencer ?

I just want to copy 1st bar to 2nd bar and so on .

I can't get it to do anything , does it even work ?

I know there where some problems early on , is it all sorted out yet with the updates ?

chrisj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chrisj » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:02 am

Hard to tell. I just got the Drum Sequencer. I'm very happy with lots of it and it's transformed my groove (I REALLY needed per-step time offset, for what I do) but I'm running into the occasional bug and confusing place. I've been making a little note-card for how to do things.

Shift-play when the sequencer's not running gets me the master page. If it freezes I have to power down my whole rack and restart, so I need to be careful not to try and do that while performing. I need to do it for changing trigger 16 from RST to 16, because I need it to drive an external sequencer (granted, I could just pick different triggers, which I might end up doing. I love having so many triggers going unused and available for stuff on the fly)

If I select a trigger, shift-shuffle gets me to where I specify the time offset (plus is a delay, negative is ahead of the beat). It's also where I find probability, every-other-few (1:8 etc) which is VERY useful, and the ratchety stuff. I've got a claplike effect out of that driving a snare sound.

I click Pattern to get out of it. I have to be careful as if Pattern is solid and I'm on that page, and I click a trig button, I lose everything and have to start over from blank (yikes!). I don't really know what I'm doing. Have never managed to change between patterns, or have more than one pattern at a time, or copy/paste a pattern, or any of that. I have instructions like 'select a slot, hit paste, hit record' but I'm not getting anything to work so I'm using the sequencer like it has only one pattern and you can lose that one through hitting a few wrong keys. Sort of like running Linux (which I've also got working in my studio :) )

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:21 am

Analog Music wrote:Please help , just got Techno System

I know there where some problems early on , is it all sorted out yet with the updates ?
Copy and paste is for patterns in my understanding.

Select a pattern, copy, select another pattern, paste, save changes.

For copying bars there's another method that automatically copies the first bar when you increase track length, then you edit individual bars:
-make sure track length to 1 bar
-increase track length to desired length (like 64 steps/4bars)
-hold "last step" and hit the last step on the keyboard
- the first bar is now copied on all bars

edit: from the manual;
BAR AUTO COPY. If you extend 1 bar sequence to example to 2 or 4 bars the first bar is automatically copied to the new bars. To enable this go
to the second config page and set the CPY to AUT. Works by track and pattern.

As far as I know the copy paste buttons are for patterns only, not tracks

e: a cool function that took me some time to figure out is just making tracks with the "Random" direction to add all kinds of nice variations. Most basic is just a two step track with on trig active and one inactive for a 50% probability. 1 active over 3 for 33%, etc.

Then you can start making increasingly complex ones. Like a track with some ratcheted steps at different speeds, different offset, accent, etc.

The whole 4*4 grid seems to invite you into making standard 16-steps bars but when you realize you can play with track length and random direction you get a whole other level of control
Last edited by ggillon on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:39 am

chrisj wrote: If I select a trigger, shift-shuffle gets me to where I specify the time offset (plus is a delay, negative is ahead of the beat).
Wait, are you talking about individual step offset (shit+trigger : utm) or is there a global track offset you can access through shift+shuffle?

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:14 pm

A new minimal techno track with the drum sequencer and (modified) techno system

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/night-noise

chrisj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chrisj » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:52 am

ggillon wrote:
chrisj wrote: If I select a trigger, shift-shuffle gets me to where I specify the time offset (plus is a delay, negative is ahead of the beat).
Wait, are you talking about individual step offset (shit+trigger : utm) or is there a global track offset you can access through shift+shuffle?
Individual step offset.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:09 am

chrisj wrote:
ggillon wrote:
Individual step offset.
Ah too bad, it would be a really cool feature to assign it to a whole track at once

Analog Music
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Analog Music » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:45 pm

ggillon wrote:
Analog Music wrote:Please help , just got Techno System

Copy and paste is for patterns in my understanding.

Select a pattern, copy, select another pattern, paste, save changes.

For copying bars there's another method that automatically copies the first bar when you increase track length, then you edit individual bars:
-make sure track length to 1 bar
-increase track length to desired length (like 64 steps/4bars)
-hold "last step" and hit the last step on the keyboard
- the first bar is now copied on all bars
Thanks a lot , but for some reason it's still not working for me , I'm sure I'm doing something wrong , maybe missing a step .

Analog Music
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Analog Music » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 pm

ggillon wrote:A new minimal techno track with the drum sequencer and (modified) techno system

This is great , where's the snare from , it's really hittin ?

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:42 am

Analog Music wrote:
ggillon wrote:A new minimal techno track with the drum sequencer and (modified) techno system

This is great , where's the snare from , it's really hittin ?
Thanks!
It's a sample from one of the additional sample kits for the Pico drums

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hagochaki/

I used a filtered sample from the morphagene for the sub-bass, the Basimilus iteritas alter for the kick, the Erica synths bass drum + dual drive for the distorted bass drum, the Pico drums for the snare, and the hi-hats D and cymbals for the remaining + the mimetic digitalis for modulation of the drums, and a bit of reverb.

Also I had a ha-ha moment for this track: the Erica synths hats and cymbals sound great, cut easily through the mix, but sometimes they are even too bright. So I was wondering how I could filter them and then I remembered a low pass gate is also a filter so I just sent the mix into optomix and voila, the hats are filtered nicely
Last edited by ggillon on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:10 am, edited 10 times in total.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:46 am

Analog Music wrote: Thanks a lot , but for some reason it's still not working for me , I'm sure I'm doing something wrong , maybe missing a step .
Yes sorry I should have added that it's a parameter that needs to be activated first in the global config (stop ; shift+play; again shift+play for second page)

BAR AUTO COPY. If you extend 1 bar sequence to example to 2 or 4 bars the first bar is automatically copied to the new bars. To enable this go
to the second config page and set the CPY to AUT. Works by track and pattern.

If it's not there check your firmware version

Return to “Eurorack Modules”