New Erica Synths drum sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New Erica Synths drum sequencer

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:22 am

ggillon wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 am
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:09 am
I just realised after a year+ of use that my accents don't work properly, or there's a setting that I haven't set properly maybe.I though they were working, never really paid too much attention tbh, but watching a video earlier on about the Metron and their new Axxent module I realised that my patterns were absolutely not as dynamic.

I have Crater, Chimera, BD808 MA 808 and Hats 808, same results on all of them. I can get accents if I use a second trigger out of the DS or any other trigger source in my system. But as soon as I use the track's dedicated accent I only get straight full blast hits.

I am on 1.55 and I have played around with the settings but so far I haven't found the solution.

I feel like other have had the same problem, can't be sure.
I believe the accents on your drum sequencer work properly, it's just that Erica made them to work with their own module's accents, which aren't intuitive at all and probably different from other brands.

You can monitor the output of the accent outs to see what kind of signal you get.

The main issue is that in most modules, the accent inputs voltage is ADDED to the existing signal amplitude.

While Erica took another option; when plugged, the accent input voltage REPLACES the signal amplitude. Hence why there were some bugs when the sequencer was stopped and Erica's drum module wouldn't respond. That was because the accent CV was 0, thus making the modules quiet.

So when running, the accent CV values from the sequencer never reach 0. They change between 5 or 10V based on the system setting, and some intermediate voltage, probably half of the previous.

What this does practically for Erica drum modules is that if you turn accent off, your modules are at 100% level, and if you activate accent tracks, they change between 100% and 50% amplitude, which is creating the dynamic levels. What the accent input is doing is actually ATTENUATE the signal and not AMPLIFY it like for other brands.

So practically, if I use my accent track out from drum sequencer to WMD crater accent in, I don't hear a clear difference because the signal doesn't vary between 0 and 10V. What I hear is an amplified signal all the time. While if I send another trigger track to the accent input, it works fine because the signal changes from 0 (no amplification) to 10V (full amplification).

I have many Erica synth drums, so I didn't notice it immediately, but I always found the accent implementation in the drum sequencer to be really strange. But I understand it is driven by the drum modules designs themselves. I wished Erica went for the simpler route of accent CV being ADDED to the existing level, like most other manufacturers.
Hummm... I get it thanks. I have had a few Erica drum modules in the past and indeed I remember getting accents on the BD/Cymbals/Hats D but I've changed my drum modules and now I can't get accents, unless I use another trigger sequencer which is super impractical. I've written to Erica, I really wish it were possible to have it work the simpler way like you said. I love the DS, it's a great trigger sequencer and it would be a shame to have to change because of that. Now that I've realised it I have a hard time ignoring it.

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:01 am

If you can convince Erica to have another setup to let accents reach 0V for desired tracks, that would be awesome!

In the meantime I still use the accent tracks with non erica modules, just for other purpose.

Once you know the accent varies between 2 non null CV values, you can use it to modulate other parameters that don't need to reach 0V. For example it works well with the crater decay or saturation CV input.

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Edit; doh, clearly shows at power-up! 1.055. Disregard :)

Got my new drum sequencer a few weeks back. Does anyone know how to check what version firmware is on the device? When using clock in I regularly experience freezing in pattern mode. Keeps playing but no longer able to switch to a different pattern. When I pull the external clock out and patch it in again, it enables me to switch patterns again. Weird behavior and hoping a FW update will fix it, hadn’t seen this mentioned in the thread though.

Octavian
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Octavian » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:30 am

kodek wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am
Hey,

Fresh update is out!
Nothing fancy tho, just two bug fixes >>

Drum Sequencer firmware 1.055

FIXES:

- Accent dropped to 0V when sequencer is stopped (fixed for all units now)

- In song mode press CLEAR to jump to position 1

--------

Download SysEx for update via MIDI HERE
Download HEX for update via AVR programmer HERE

--------

:drums:
Hi there,

I'm up to date with version 1.055 and wondering if I can ask for a feature addition for a future update.

In Step Events page, I'd like to ask that the selected Step Events step (i.e. the one with the flashing LED) NOT change when adding triggers via SHIFT+Step Key. Currently, it's possible to add Triggers in Step Events mode, but in order to do so you also have to change the selected step whose events you want to edit. (Ex. It would be nice if you could be editing Step 1, but add Triggers on Steps 4 and 5 by pressing SHIFT+Step 4/5 while Step 1 key LED remains flashing).

Hope that makes sense,

Thanks!

Michael

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Hey! Can anyone help me with this? I bought a used Drum Sequencer and finally got a chance to try it... the screen comes on when I turn the power on, but it says something in Japanese with the Erica logo... then the screen goes black and stays black!

I did the initialize thing with the play and stop buttons, but it didn't fix it! Is there a way to factory reset it? Or will I have to update it through USB?

Thank you if anyone can help with this!

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Maybe try installing the latest firmware, I did that recently and was fairly easy to do. I used MIDI-OX on Windows. Check the online manual for instructions. Didn’t solve my issue (mentioned a few posts back), but that’s a different story.

stickman
Common Wiggler

Post by stickman » Sat May 09, 2020 4:49 am

Hey does anyone know if this responds to program change messages, or if there are any plans to add that, to select/cue a pattern?

Octavian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Octavian » Wed May 20, 2020 6:33 am

stickman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:49 am
Hey does anyone know if this responds to program change messages, or if there are any plans to add that, to select/cue a pattern?
I don't think that exists (yet)

Octavian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Octavian » Wed May 20, 2020 6:35 am

Emailed this issue to Kodek earlier but wondering if anybody else has had problems with Song Mode showing a different Pattern on screen than the one that is outputted. Here's the email I sent to ES:

Hey Kodek,

I thought I would wait a couple more days before bombarding you again with questions but I couldn’t leave this one. I’m learning Song Mode now and am having trouble with a glitch where my Position 14 and Position 15 are set to Pattern A15, and my Position 16 is set to Pattern A16 but Position 16 still outputs Pattern 15 (while the screen shows A16, what is heard at the output is Pattern A15). I’ve made a quick video to better explain what I mean, if you could please let me know if this is a known issue and whether or not there are any fixes:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsdkBRIREHjWjM1Sa4w ... Q?e=yZqFCg.

This one’s a bit worrying for me, but I know you’ll be able to help,

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Wed May 20, 2020 11:03 am

Not the same I guess but I had issues with changing patterns, it would freeze when clicked externally and be stuck. See my message a few posts back. Went through troubleshooting with their support and ended up swapping out my unit. Got a new unit back last week and works fine now. Do you have latest firmware installed and/or re-initialized the unit? I found the process to do this fairly easy and may be worth a try.

kodek
Common Wiggler

Post by kodek » Thu May 21, 2020 9:55 am

Hey,

Fresh update is out!
Bunch of bug fixes and under the hood improvements in this release.

Drum Sequencer firmware 1.056

FIXES:

- Clock out settings now saved (was broken in 1.055)

- Auto copy now also works when step length is increased with encoder

- In Step Events page when adding new steps with SHIFT key cursor stays on the selected step

- Fixed accent drop outs occurring for some users

- Improved instant pattern switching when module is in MIDI Slave mode

- Improved LFO performance

- Increased Clock Out accuracy in MIDI Slave mode

- Splash screen for paste function added

- Other minor bug fixes and overall stability improvements

--------

Download SysEx for update via MIDI HERE
Download HEX for update via AVR programmer HERE

--------

:drums:

kingcons
Common Wiggler

Post by kingcons » Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 am

Is it possible to add a software toggle for accent behavior to address some of the issues ggillon and Tumulishroomaroom brought up earlier? I love my Drum Sequencer but must confess I'm using WMD drums at the moment and it would be nice to be able to use the accents on those modules without another trigger channel. 🤔 Assuming such a change doesn't require hardware revision, are there any plans to look into it?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”