Shakmat Time Wizard - The ULTIMATE clock divider/multiplier?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 am

...and I changed the LEDs to red.
much better

sasbom
Common Wiggler

Post by sasbom » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Put one of these together today, and paired it with a divisoon 6 dual mini sequencer.
I have to say, the time wizard is truly magical.

I was struggling to decide on what I should get, the RCD from 9ms or TW,
and I'm glad I chose for the wizard. The pre multiplyer makes it more than worth it on its own, let alone the logic part.

I chose to solder the pins for the jumper on backwards, that way changing the connection
isn't that big of a deal, am I a modder now?
Also, yes the lights are very bright. I hear mention of a nail varnish trick,
does that mean just putting some varnish on the leds?
Paint with wires on a canvas of electronics.

nomenklature
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nomenklature » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 am

I'm experiencing some major problems with my Time Wizard (purchased assembled from Analog Haven). Emailed Shakmat, no response. Hoping for some help here

The unit will function normally for several seconds - pots set to different divisions, LEDs flashing out the rhythm -- then suddenly, without me adjusting anything, all 6 outputs will shift to a straight 1 clock, with no divisions at all.

This short clip shows the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd30kwxk9slis ... d.mov?dl=0

Once it does this, subsequent pot shifts have intermittent impact.

I love this module otherwise, so this is incredibly frustrating.

Any ideas? I've tried w/ Tiptop & Intellijel power supplies, clocking it via PNW & analog square waves, and with & without the gate jumper on the back -- it happens every time.

sasbom
Common Wiggler

Post by sasbom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Have you DIY'd it?

You could try reflowing some iffy solder if you see some weird solder joints.

Either way, I hope they'll be able to help.
Paint with wires on a canvas of electronics.

Bishop Dust
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bishop Dust » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi !

I ve been out of the office for a couple of days ! We ll swap with a new one . I ll email you on Monday for the details ;)

nomenklature
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nomenklature » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 am

Bishop Dust wrote: I ve been out of the office for a couple of days ! We ll swap with a new one . I ll email you on Monday for the details ;)
thank you! much appreciated.

Drilldoughzer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drilldoughzer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 am

I wonder if an expander module with 6 cv inputs for the divisions, 4 trig/gate inputs for the switches and one switch for the jumper option would be practical? Nevertheless, I’ll grab a DIY kit this year...

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Just picked up one of these (factory build) from Signal Sounds and it seems to be DOA? Plugged in, nothing lights up. Everything is oriented correctly. I plugged another module onto the same cable and that works fine, so it's not the cabling.

Anything else I should check on? I don't think I've ever had a module just show up DOA so I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:14 pm

BTG wrote:Just picked up one of these (factory build) from Signal Sounds and it seems to be DOA? Plugged in, nothing lights up. Everything is oriented correctly. I plugged another module onto the same cable and that works fine, so it's not the cabling.

Anything else I should check on? I don't think I've ever had a module just show up DOA so I'm not sure what else could be wrong.
Did you plug a signal into the clock input?
It does not function without being externally clocked.

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:16 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
BTG wrote:Just picked up one of these (factory build) from Signal Sounds and it seems to be DOA? Plugged in, nothing lights up. Everything is oriented correctly. I plugged another module onto the same cable and that works fine, so it's not the cabling.

Did you plug a signal into the clock input?
It does not function without being externally clocked.
I would have assumed that I got some kind of light somewhere? I did have a clock in but I'll try a different one just in case. Thanks!

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Hah, that was the problem, thanks! I had a QCD plugged in but the QCD had a disconnected cable on its input so it wasn't broadcasting clock. Surprised that the TW doesn't give any other indication it's alive though!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Drilldoughzer wrote:I wonder if an expander module with 6 cv inputs for the divisions, 4 trig/gate inputs for the switches and one switch for the jumper option would be practical? Nevertheless, I’ll grab a DIY kit this year...
In the meantime, or if an expander never comes, check out Ryo paths 4x4 cv/triggerable switch. Pairs really well with it. Being a 4:4 switch, it lets you rotate four of the outputs under cv or trigger control. Fun to trigger forwards and back with time wizard’s other outs too.

ludu357
Common Wiggler

Post by ludu357 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Drilldoughzer wrote:I wonder if an expander module with 6 cv inputs for the divisions, 4 trig/gate inputs for the switches and one switch for the jumper option would be practical?
+100
Or a v2 with Cvs?

eoele
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eoele » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:11 am

I currently own a 4ms RCD + Breakout but I'm really intrigued by the Time Wizard. I only have room for one so my question is if you think I would miss a lot of the RCD+B functionality by switching it for the Shakmat?

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:14 am

Seems like a Nice alternative to arrhythmia as well. So time wizard will allow for different step lengths with a sequencer (muxlicer for example) ?

pre post eros
Common Wiggler

Post by pre post eros » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:53 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Drilldoughzer wrote:I wonder if an expander module with 6 cv inputs for the divisions, 4 trig/gate inputs for the switches and one switch for the jumper option would be practical? Nevertheless, I’ll grab a DIY kit this year...
In the meantime, or if an expander never comes, check out Ryo paths 4x4 cv/triggerable switch. Pairs really well with it. Being a 4:4 switch, it lets you rotate four of the outputs under cv or trigger control. Fun to trigger forwards and back with time wizard’s other outs too.
Olegtron's Confusor 2 might also be fun to throw at such a signal path.

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Post by steffie268 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Finally ordered mine - I had to watch the demo video several times over the course of 2 months before I was able to sort of comprehend what it can do...
Can't wait to start experimenting with it - it will be my only drum sequencer for a while...

bjornsundklakk@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Shakmat Time Wizard - The ULTIMATE clock divider/multiplier?

Post by bjornsundklakk@gmail.com » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi !
I have buildt my Time wizard. cool module -
One diode did not work so i replaced it.
Everything is working fine except for the timing of the module.
I`m clocking it with palmemas new workout
When i switch the multi A switch to x3 or x4,
the timing and the repetitions are sounding like a drunk drummer, triggering a hhat module from out A1.
The repetitions of the output triggers from the A section are not even distributed.
they are shuffeling in a uncool stuttering way.
when i set the tempo up to ca 115 bpm, the TW can not handle it and are stuttering and stumbling,
and jumping over steps. When I dont use the X3 or X4 funktion in the A section, The TW are working OK
I dont know what it can be.
I have checked my build, reflowed and i can`t find eny errors.
The kit is bought fom thonk
The Atmel chip is marked "TW v11"
what can it be ? ?
Last edited by bjornsundklakk@gmail.com on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Oops, I replied to a necro-post. I will leave it here anyway - may be useful to someone else.
eoele wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:11 am
I currently own a 4ms RCD + Breakout but I'm really intrigued by the Time Wizard. I only have room for one so my question is if you think I would miss a lot of the RCD+B functionality by switching it for the Shakmat?
Try to make room for both! RCD is pretty small, and they should work well together.

I have the 4ms QCD with expander, whuich is way bigger. The Time Wizard is far less predictable 9even though it is quite logical) because there are so many options that interect with one another. The QCD is good for dialling up exactly what you want, and the TW adds spice, as well as expanding the number of outputs with different gate patterns. The TW doesn't have detented pots, which makes it less easy to dial in a specific fraction - this is one area where the QCD is better.

I once had a RCD / Expander (and the RCM). Personally, if I had only one, i think I would go for the TW, but you need to read the manuals and decide for yourself.

bjornsundklakk@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bjornsundklakk@gmail.com » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:27 pm

I guess i have to use TW only as a clock divider, and not use the multiplier functions in Ax3, Ax4.
When I`m feeding the module with quick clock triggers from Palmelas New Workout,
130 bpm X4, TW are responsing wery stable to that. :hail:

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:25 am

bjornsundklakk@gmail.com wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:27 pm
I guess i have to use TW only as a clock divider, and not use the multiplier functions in Ax3, Ax4.
When I`m feeding the module with quick clock triggers from Palmelas New Workout,
130 bpm X4, TW are responsing wery stable to that. :hail:
Are you shuffling the PNW clock before feeding it into the TW? Because that's a problem with clock multipliers in general, they're actually clock extrapolators and can't deal with rapidly changing tap tempos.

bjornsundklakk@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bjornsundklakk@gmail.com » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:46 am

No shuffling, the TW gets a steady gate signal from out 1 from PNW.
The defalt gate width is 50%, I ajusted it to ca 25%, to get more of a trigger signal.
The TW do not like it when the width gets too wide(95%) or narrow(5%), but thats another story.
I`m not changing the tempo from PNW in any way, and PNW is WERY stable.

My Time Wizard do not distribute even triplets or sixteenth from the multi A funtion(Ax3 or Ax4),
(when the clock pulse is a quarter note)
When I set up the tempo to ca 115 the TW are stuttering and jumping over steps, from the A side
This is when the A side is set to x3 or x4

the timing are unpredictable and irregular.
May be it can be used as a cool effect.

:eek:

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:27 pm

really?
I haven't used for a while, but I don't recall having these problems, my clock usually is 260 bpm.
will try later to see if mine has the same problem

bjornsundklakk@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bjornsundklakk@gmail.com » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:19 pm

I got a new Atmel sendt by Francois from Shakmat Modular.
Everyting with the Time Wizard is as it should be now.
The timing is ok.

Thank you for quick response and great cervice

Yaitw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yaitw » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:22 am

Man I want a DIY kit so bad, to spend my quarantine with, but its unavailable everywhere.
Anyone knows when it might be out?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”