First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Re: First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Post by dcbb » Wed May 13, 2020 11:28 am

Sadly, I realise more and more why the damn ACL Sinfonion exists – just cursing because the HP and the price are too much to swallow for my system and my wallet. Basically, the thing does absolutely everything I ever wanted in harmony, and it solves all issues I have with the Harmonaig, like lack of chord extensions beyond 7ths, no CV over scale or scale mask, etc.

Still, I think Harmonaig is the best module beyond the Sinfonion for the harmonically interested (and I think I have read the manuals of just about every module out there that smells remotely like chords). It also shines at very simple simple things, and with a sequential switch or two it's a great module even for small systems with less than four voices. That was a pleasant surprise for me.

Examples for simple: Both tracks (well, sketches) below are duophonic. The upper just alternates between Cmin and Gmin but changing voicing and inversion on every change.

Also, Harmonaig + switch is fun for generative patches with one programmed melody and a generative second voice.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Wed May 13, 2020 2:16 pm

dcbb wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:28 am

Also, Harmonaig + switch is fun for generative patches with one programmed melody and a generative second voice.
These Sequential Switches are still kind of a Mystery to me :lol:

How would u use a SW with the Harmonaig?

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Wed May 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Granular wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:16 pm
dcbb wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:28 am

These Sequential Switches are still kind of a Mystery to me :lol:

How would u use a SW with the Harmonaig?
The idea is to arpeggiate the chord generated by the Harmonaig. So you feed the inputs of the switch with the notes and create the arpeggio by stepping through them using the switch, i.e. only sending one at a time to your voice.

Depending on the switch you use there are two options:

Some switches step on a gate or trigger. For this, I send the Harmonaig notes to a buffered mult first to get copies, and then I build the arpeggio quite literally with patch cables.

Other switches can be sequenced with CV, so I don't need to copy, but I can use a step sequencer to define the arpeggio by addressing the switch. Personally, I use the big Doepfer switch which supports both modes of operation.

MI Stages can also act as a switch. In one of the tracks above, Stages acts as a 2 way switch going over root and fifth, and simultaneously as a 3 way switch going over root, third and 7th of the chord. Each feed a VCO of a paraphonic voice.

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Wed May 13, 2020 2:45 pm

PS: These are some tracks made just with this technique and a Rings, which is quite nice as its pseudo-polyphonic and will let the notes ring out and you still hear the chords. I'm not so much into Rings any more, but you can get very musical with this combination.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Wed May 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Great!! Thank you for your detailed Explanation. That's why I love the Muffwiggler Community !!

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Wed May 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Good lord...skimming the thread titles in the recent threads feed and I read "harmony quantizer" as "hand sanitizer". Time for a nap.
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Thu May 14, 2020 8:31 am

I am making a 40HP Melody-ish box with Harmonaig as the center piece.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1210602

I plan on using the a-180-4 as the buffer for my Keystep Pro and I wanted to be able also do random-ish melodies (with the random modules).

This will interface with my 9u.

Anyone have any suggestions or alterations?

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 am

I love Zadar for really long complex envelopes. It looks "presetty" at first, but it's much more flexible than you might think, and it can self modulate. Batumi could also be interesting (but I don't have one), replacing Pons Asinorum, but you have a tight HP limit here.

Repeating myself, I always enjoy arpeggiating Harmonaig outputs.

A sample and hold would probably be helpful to tie some of the modulation to the clock.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Thu May 14, 2020 9:54 am

synkrotron wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:59 am
Granular wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 am
Wow. Just beautiful. Would love to read some patchnotes.
Indeed... I also had a look around pelang's website while I was at it... Some quite impressive art installations there......
thanks !

patchnotes:
-harmonàig in play mode
-2x plaits (wavetable oscillator) and 1x tides (as oscillator) > big muff padel (distortion)
-AUX1 > Serge resEQ filterbank > OTO bam reverb
-AUX2 > AJH FFB 914 filterbank > magneto

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am

dcbb wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 am
I love Zadar for really long complex envelopes. It looks "presetty" at first, but it's much more flexible than you might think, and it can self modulate. Batumi could also be interesting (but I don't have one), replacing Pons Asinorum, but you have a tight HP limit here.

A sample and hold would probably be helpful to tie some of the modulation to the clock.
The arp idea is a GOOD one - can you recommend me a module you've enjoyed using for this purpose?

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am

Chaklack wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am
dcbb wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 am

The arp idea is a GOOD one - can you recommend me a module you've enjoyed using for this purpose?
The module to use is a sequential switch. I use the Doepfer A-152, which is a large beast, but it has one advantage: You can either step through it with a clock, or you can address the steps with CV.

If you do the former, you hard-wire the arpeggio by patching up the switch. If you do the latter, you can use a sequencer or another voltage source to define the arpeggio. I enjoy having both options.

If you only want the CV way, I'd probably get the ALM Boss Bow Tie due to the smaller footprint, but I think it's getting rare.

Also, MI Stages, which is awesome for many reasons and functions, can be a simple switch, but only stepped and not event with reset. The cool thing about stages is that you can configure it to be, for example, one 2 step switch AND and 3 step switch at the same time. I've done this in one of the tracks above, going over root and 5th from Harmonaig for one VCO, and over root, 3rd and 7th for the other

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Thu May 14, 2020 11:28 am

pelang wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:54 am

thanks !

patchnotes:
-harmonàig in play mode
-2x plaits (wavetable oscillator) and 1x tides (as oscillator) > big muff padel (distortion)
-AUX1 > Serge resEQ filterbank > OTO bam reverb
-AUX2 > AJH FFB 914 filterbank > magneto
Your Tracks remind of Tim Hecker :-)

Thank you for the Notes. I think I have to take a closer look to that Big Muff Pedal.

Gruss aus Bern :-)

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Fri May 22, 2020 11:55 pm

Chaklack wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am
I've done similar things with switches in a few ways. The easier one is using a sequential switch (I use the Erica Synths v2 one): I like the Erica one because it's got a bunch of different patterns built in (fwd, bkwd, f2b1, pingpong, random, etc etc etc) so you can generate "different" arpeggios without needing to repatch any cables. You just set the switch trigger input to a clock divider of your choice, put the 4 harmonaig outputs into the switch inputs, send the output of the switch to the v/oct in on your osc and you're off to the races.

Another fun way to arpeggiate via Harmonaig is to sort of do the "opposite" of arpeggiation; assuming you've got four oscilators and are using the Root 3rd 5th 7th form the Harmonaig to drive them, use a quad attenuverter / mute along with a switch to "arpeggiate" a muted note within the chord so you might switch between R35 R57 R37 357, for example: you just use the switch to send a gate to "close" whatever note you want silenced (via muting or attenuverting) and cycle away. It's not really arpeggiation, and needs four oscillators, but it's a fun sound to experiment with especially if you start adding envelopes and whatnot.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”