First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Blicken Synths
Common Wiggler

Post by Blicken Synths » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:06 am

Here's the new edit. Inspired by Somavar's video using the harmonaig as an arpeggiator, running it through a sequential switch and then sample and hold. The two voices are coming from the verbos harmonic oscillator and the music easel

https://soundcloud.com/blickensynths/sarp
Blicken Synths is a UK based online modular synth store. 10% off your first order for all new registered accounts

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm

hmmmm. I'm really confused about people using this module here.
So far, all the demos I've seen or hear on this thread doesn't do justice to this module at all. :confused:

The whole point of this module, by its name, is that it can generate pleasant Harmonies or chord progressions. It can also work as an arpegiator if combined with a sequencer switch to. It's a very musical module, all I hear is off key, spooky drones.

Of course, everybody has their own interpretation of music, and differenct use of modules, that's I guess the beauty of the modular synthesizers.

But, no offence, but you could have done that with a regular sequencer... even without a quantizer as it's so wobbly and off key. :despair:

Here two example of amazing use with little bit of talent and imagination, which will do a bit more justice to it:

:nana:

sorry dunno how to embed videos :doh:

Blicken Synths
Common Wiggler

Post by Blicken Synths » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm

-S.L- wrote:hmmmm. I'm really confused about people using this module here.
So far, all the demos I've seen or hear on this thread doesn't do justice to this module at all. :confused:

The whole point of this module, by its name, is that it can generate pleasant Harmonies or chord progressions. It can also work as an arpegiator if combined with a sequencer switch to. It's a very musical module, all I hear is off key, spooky drones.

Of course, everybody has their own interpretation of music, and differenct use of modules, that's I guess the beauty of the modular synthesizers.

But, no offence, but you could have done that with a regular sequencer... even without a quantizer as it's so wobbly and off key. :despair:

Here two example of amazing use with little bit of talent and imagination, which will do a bit more justice to it:

:nana:

sorry dunno how to embed videos :doh:
The first video has given me some good ideas of how to utilise the gate output
Last edited by Blicken Synths on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blicken Synths is a UK based online modular synth store. 10% off your first order for all new registered accounts

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:34 am

sorry if I was a bit harsh on my previous post by the way :guinness:

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:59 am

thank goodness for the manual. It would be very nice to have it accessible on the Instruo site. I've used it for a week with no manual and have figured a out a lot --it's an outstanding module--but accessing various modes isn't intuitive. At all.

gulfbanktx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gulfbanktx » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Just got the Troika and Harmonaig as my first two modules and I have no idea what I’m doing! I’m looking to create some textural/ambient stuff similar to what Jason has posted on his Instagram. If anybody can point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking at I’d highly appreciate it. The Harmonaig needs a sequencer connected to the CV input in order to get any type of chord progression righr? So far only able to play single notes

For reference:

ashh888
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ashh888 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 am

make sure you have the cv out of the sequencer connected, not the gate out.

or try connecting an envelope generator to quantiser's input

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 am

gulfbanktx wrote:Just got the Troika and Harmonaig as my first two modules and I have no idea what I’m doing! I’m looking to create some textural/ambient stuff similar to what Jason has posted on his Instagram. If anybody can point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking at I’d highly appreciate it. The Harmonaig needs a sequencer connected to the CV input in order to get any type of chord progression righr? So far only able to play single notes

For reference:

what do you mean by your first two modules ? Don't tell me that's the only modules you have ? :hmm:

gulfbanktx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gulfbanktx » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:06 pm

-S.L- wrote:
gulfbanktx wrote:Just got the Troika and Harmonaig as my first two modules and I have no idea what I’m doing! I’m looking to create some textural/ambient stuff similar to what Jason has posted on his Instagram. If anybody can point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking at I’d highly appreciate it. The Harmonaig needs a sequencer connected to the CV input in order to get any type of chord progression righr? So far only able to play single notes

For reference:

what do you mean by your first two modules ? Don't tell me that's the only modules you have ? :hmm:
First two modules is correct. Looking to build around these although probably not the smartest thing to do.

Modules I’m currently considering are Maths, Scion, Rings and Clouds. I guess what I really want to know is will a module with a sequencer as a secondary feature work fine for the main CV input?

PietroC
Common Wiggler

Post by PietroC » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 am

First two modules is correct. Looking to build around these although probably not the smartest thing to do.

Modules I’m currently considering are Maths, Scion, Rings and Clouds. I guess what I really want to know is will a module with a sequencer as a secondary feature work fine for the main CV input?[/quote]

Do have a semi modular with keys??

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:39 pm

So if you have ONLY these two modules right now, then no wonder why you don't get any results. You probably saw that Jason has many modules in thoses videos you posted ?

You definitely don't know what you're doing here :hihi:

You're going to need a couple of more module to archive what he's doing there my friend. So enveloppes, filters, and more... :75:

CliffordMilk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CliffordMilk » Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 am

PietroC - You definitely need something to patch into the CV Inputs if you want to bring this module to life. If your semi-modular has outputs for a Sequencer, random voltages or an lfo, that should give you some more interesting results. You will need a fair few other modules to build your synth voices but that doesn’t mean you can’t experiment and create interesting audio while you build. Have fun 8-)

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Fri May 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Yeah this is a deep module. Wish someone would do a nice video overview, the manual is good, but I'm always a fan of good videos a la Sonic States (his Elqoencer and ER-101/102 vids are amazing). Sounds like there is a ton under the hood, but if you don't know how to leverage the various functionality (I'll admit that I fall into this category), the module may not give you the ROI you were looking for.

I'm gonna jump back into this module over the weekend, need to try and figure out a good way of getting variation to a sequence (there is the CV over the chord mode - think that is the right term), but I haven't really been able to get the variation I thought I was going to. Most of that is my lack of music theory and not knowing the module as well as I should.

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

manual

Post by jjr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:39 pm

hey all,
would anyone be willing to DM me their copy of the manual or attach it here?
Smurfs

goldi
Common Wiggler

Post by goldi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:37 pm

I’d love to hear thoughts on this compared to argos bleak?

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:35 pm

goldi wrote:I’d love to hear thoughts on this compared to argos bleak?
yes I would like to
Know the difference Too

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am

The awesomeness of the Harmonaig cannot be overstated for anyone who is interested in harmony, melody and the relation between the two. Even in a single voice setup. Pseudo-polyphony helps a lot, of course.

Here are some jams and experiments. (Not really finished tracks, and, yes, some are too long.)

https://soundcloud.com/dc_bb/sets/learn ... -harmonaig

The setup is essentially Harmonaig -> A152 -> Rings. I'm using a Befaco Burst for variations in rhythm within one bar. For some tracks, a VPME T43 provides a fifth note or modulates one of the chord notes. (I don't understand why VPME T43 is not more popular.)

(I'm deeply embarrassed I cannot get a nice Soundcloud link.)

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:24 am

dcbb wrote:Here are some jams and experiments.
Beautiful stuff.

Could you please elaborate a bit on the patches?
Did you simply clock the A-152 and let the strum function of Rings do the rest? Or did you sequence the A-152?
I'm not really familiar with both modules.

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Hey loopt,

Here are some patch notes:

The 4 Harmonaig chord notes go into a Snthrotek 07 four channel mult, which gives 4 to 6 copies of everything and a lot of freedom for building the arpeggio.

The multed notes are sent into the A-152, essentially hard-wiring the (8 note) arpeggio. I can recommend guitar picking patterns as a source of inspiration for arpeggios. What sounds like arpeggio variations is actually just playing around with voicing and inversion on Harmonaig.

The great thing about the A-152 is that you can either sequence it, selecting a step with CV, or just make it step upwards with a gate or trigger signal. It's the only switch I'm aware of offering both modes of operation. For the patches I linked, I'm using step triggering. Triggers are fired from a Befaco Burst, which makes it easy to play with the number of notes and "nonlinear" timing within a bar.

VPME T43 is sometimes thrown in the mix either to add a constant pedal note to the arpeggio, to modulate a Harmonaig note (e.g. 7 to octave, which turns a min7 into a pure sad min), or to add another note, like a ninth. No guarantees to stay diatonic here, of course.

Finally, Rings is indeed self-triggering on note change. I find it challenging to sync a trigger input precisely with a note change on Rings, to be honest. So I mostly use it in self-triggering mode (i.e. nothing connected to strum). In contrast to many recording on Youtube, I prefer a very "soft" Rings, with damping all to the left.

A Harmonaig technique I love is to use a square wave LFO to rhythmically mess with voicing or inversion. This can be done "on time", or at a different rhythm, or fast and randomly. All of these variations can be heared the patches. When modulating voicing or inversion with a different rhythm, the patch almost sounds like a duet of two Rings. This is a technique I want to explore going forward. Note that most of this is only possible due to Rings self-triggering on note change. It would be a nightmare to get synced triggers for all that's happening just by modulating Harmonaig.

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks, dcbb.
Interesting and very musical patch.
Didn't know the Synthrotek '7. That one looks handy.
I might see an A-152 in my future...but there's no space and it is huge. :cry:

rosten
Common Wiggler

Post by rosten » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:01 pm

This sounds great! I'd love to play with one of these.
Re: the Argos Bleak question.

Apologies if this is obvious but for the sake of listing them out so you don't have to hunt through the manuals: To me it seems like the main differences are that:

1. Harmonaig comes with a bunch of useful chords, inversions and voicings with associated cv-inputs. You could get to a similar place with the Argos but you have to set up the scales, and organize the offsets yourself, save them as pre-sets and then cv through them.

2. Harmonaig has an "intuitive" keyboard button interface that will let you manually add/remove notes from your quantizing scheme. Argos doesn't have this at all.

3. Argos lets you detune, set octaves, and add vibrato (with variable speed and depth) on each voice.

4. Argos also functions as a kind of precision-adder. You can input 2 separate lines of cv and set each output to use A, B, or A+B, A-B, etc.

Again, I don't have a Harmoniag so if I'm missing something, please correct me!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:29 pm

loopt wrote:Thanks, dcbb.
Interesting and very musical patch.
Didn't know the Synthrotek '7. That one looks handy.
I might see an A-152 in my future...but there's no space and it is huge. :cry:
I'm looking into the Erica Sequential Switch V2. Doesn't have CV addressing but has nice sequence modes, step merging, seq length, step mutes, etc. Seems really functional in this type of patch.

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorac ... switch-v2/
FS: Lyra-8, Euro Bargain Bin, Tuesday, Mutable, Malekko, more!
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:25 pm

davidjames,

I had the Erica briefly and sent it back. It's cool generally, but it didn't work in combination with the Harmonaig for me, and here's why: I really like the idea of having a step sequencer where I can disable steps entirely; I know that from the Korg SQ1. But the Erica switch requires you to press the button twice for skipping (one press is pause, where it will output 0V). Double-press did not work for me as I want to to be able to quickly toggle several steps at once while a fast arpeggio is running.

The freedom to chose between CV addressing and clocking in A-152 is awesome. You even have an attenuator and an offset knob on the CV input. In CV mode, you cannot only sequence it, but you can run LFOs, complex envelopes or random voltages through it. Sequence length can be done on A-152 by connecting a step gate out to reset. Very old school but it works. Step outs can be handy for other things.

No step skip and HP footprint are the major disadvantages on A-152 for me so far.

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:44 pm

rosten,
1. Harmonaig comes with a bunch of useful chords, inversions and voicings with associated cv-inputs. You could get to a similar place with the Argos but you have to set up the scales, and organize the offsets yourself, save them as pre-sets and then cv through them.

2. Harmonaig has an "intuitive" keyboard button interface that will let you manually add/remove notes from your quantizing scheme. Argos doesn't have this at all.

3. Argos lets you detune, set octaves, and add vibrato (with variable speed and depth) on each voice.

4. Argos also functions as a kind of precision-adder. You can input 2 separate lines of cv and set each output to use A, B, or A+B, A-B, etc.
For the Harmonaig I would like to add that a key feature is the diatonic mode, which is a bit of a misnomer. Essentially, Harmonaig will select chord qualities for you that make sense in the context of the current scale. Part of Harmonaig's genius is that "diatonic" mode will not only give you diatonic chords, but also "out of key" ones, which allows you to create really harmonically interesting stuff.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”