First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:47 pm

dcbb wrote:Harmonaig's genius
Jason (who is Instruō) is an accomplished musician and a Berklee graduate.
One of the major differences with the Harmonàig compared to most other complex quantizers is that it has a lot of musical literacy built in.
That can also be a disadvantage because you always get Jason's chord choices (apart from the three custom chord slots).

But as a musical illiterate I don't complain at all. :hihi:
And if you know your music theory, I'm sure the Harmonàig will be even more fun.

wallyp
Common Wiggler

Post by wallyp » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:21 am

loopt wrote: But as a musical illiterate I don't complain at all..
Yeah its funny to watch a range of vids about the a-152 and how completely unmusical they are compared to dcbb's pairing. Which, btw, has been on repeat in the studio. Quite beautiful and def worth developing.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am

dcbb wrote:davidjames,

I had the Erica briefly and sent it back. It's cool generally, but it didn't work in combination with the Harmonaig for me, and here's why: I really like the idea of having a step sequencer where I can disable steps entirely; I know that from the Korg SQ1. But the Erica switch requires you to press the button twice for skipping (one press is pause, where it will output 0V). Double-press did not work for me as I want to to be able to quickly toggle several steps at once while a fast arpeggio is running.

The freedom to chose between CV addressing and clocking in A-152 is awesome. You even have an attenuator and an offset knob on the CV input. In CV mode, you cannot only sequence it, but you can run LFOs, complex envelopes or random voltages through it. Sequence length can be done on A-152 by connecting a step gate out to reset. Very old school but it works. Step outs can be handy for other things.

No step skip and HP footprint are the major disadvantages on A-152 for me so far.
Thanks dcbb for the insight! It's just so big, but I can see how the step outs would be useful. I might have to go with the Erica for space reasons, and maybe swap in an ALM Boss Bow Tie for when I want CV addressing. And thanks for the inspiration to build a small 3U strumming rack.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/3, Tuesday in the bin!, Eloquencer+EME steal, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:57 am

@dcbb Thanks for the patch notes. I really like your idea of using that VPME T43 module. I was not aware such a module existed.

I was looking for a sequential switched to pair with Harmonaig and found that there is not quite one that matches it perfectly. I'll add Mystic Circuits Tree to the list, although Doepfer's A-151 still seems appealing to me for the option of manually setting the number of steps.

Has anyone contacted Jason about building a sequential switch to pair with Harmonaig yet?

dcbb
Common Wiggler

Post by dcbb » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:01 am

@TheRosskonian VPME T43 is a great module which I can highly recommend. I'm thinking about getting another one.
Has anyone contacted Jason about building a sequential switch to pair with Harmonaig yet?
A switch from Jason would be awesome!

What I would really like is a switch that allows you to re-order the arpeggio without plugging cables or using a sequencer to address the switch. I'm thinking of something like the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix, where you can say: "Input 1 goes here and here, input 2 goes there, etc" with the click of a button, and you can save the routings (i.e. arpeggios) as presets which are CV addressable. No mixing needed of course, and we would need 8 output minimum, which makes for a huge button matrix.

Would also be great if a precise buffered mult was already included, so you can re-use a note several times. The Synthrotek one works perfectly for me, but it eats another power connection and HP.

@loopt
And if you know your music theory, I'm sure the Harmonàig will be even more fun.
For me, the Harmonàig is a main motivation to diver deeper into theory! There is infinite potential when you start deliberately sequencing not only chords, but also the inversion.

Sometimes I dream about getting a second Harmonàig (polychords!) but I'm not there yet...

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:38 am

dcbb wrote:@TheRosskonian VPME T43 is a great module which I can highly recommend. I'm thinking about getting another one.

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:04 am

I've contacted Jason - but I'm kinda on a schedule here, so wondered if anyone had a quick answer for me.

Anyone managed to successfully enter a custom chord into slots 1, 2, 3 or 4?

I'm following the procedure in the v1.0 manual but its a draft so I'm wondering if its out of date.

I'm following the manual to do the following.

1. Press DIATONIC (lights Amber)

2. Turn knob to manually select Chord Slot “1”

3. Press and hold TRANSPOSE + double tap DIATONIC (keep holding down TRANSPOSE)

Manual states this should set keyboard buttons glowing.

This does not happen. Keyboard buttons remain solid amber.

Pressing keyboard buttons just turns them off.

Can any Harmonaig owners try it and advise pls? thx!

KD

dcbb
Common Wiggler

Post by dcbb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 am

Kirk Degiorgio wrote: Anyone managed to successfully enter a custom chord into slots 1, 2, 3 or 4?
I can confirm that I have successfully entered custom chords following the procedure from the manual. I don't have my modular here right now, but I am certain that it worked on first attempt following the instructions. Speed of the double tap is probably something to play around with. I certainly had that glowing visual feedback.

I have encountered some weird / undocumented behaviour entering the chords themselves though. I've had chords whose notes were not consistent with the keyboard display, which is quite annoying. Specifically, I've had an octave above the root in my chord, although the keyboard showed four different notes. Also, when you just enter three notes, the fourth will be an octave above root, which is useful but undocumented. I found that it works best when you start entering notes from the highest one. So be aware when once you get the chord editing running.

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm

thanks for the advice. Jason replied very quickly and also suspected its down to the speed i'm tapping or taking too long to tap whilst holding transpose. Will check later!

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Hey everyone,

Just for curiosity, I'd like to know which oscillator(s) you have been using Harmonaig with.

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 pm

E370 - very stable tuning/tracking which is crucial for 4 note chords IMO.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Kirk Degiorgio wrote:E370 - very stable tuning/tracking which is crucial for 4 note chords IMO.
I usually avoid to look for big modules like that. But I've pheard amazing stuff coming out of it. Very interesting. And expensive :sad:

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 pm

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Richard deHove wrote:I'm using four 2HP oscillators.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/2hp-vco-black-panel
Hmm, very interesting idea!

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 pm

guigui wrote:Hey everyone,

Just for curiosity, I'd like to know which oscillator(s) you have been using Harmonaig with.
Not an Osc but I use ADDAC 222 to connect it with my other synth. Crazy fun!

dcbb
Common Wiggler

Post by dcbb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:14 am

Atlantis main oscillator playing complex arpeggios via sequential switch. Atlantis second oscillator playing the 5th (or 3rd). Rings in FM mode as base on the root.

In the beginning, I used it mainly just with Rings Karplus Strong mode and a sequential switch, which is nice to the Rings (pseudo) polyphony.

Destinova
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Destinova » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:17 am

I've been using Harmonaig with the Qu-bit chord V2 in free poly mode this last couple of weeks. It's low hp for four voices and Harmonaig's voicings seem more user friendly to me than the built in ones in Chord.

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:18 am

Befaco evenVCO, Instruo tòna, Instruo Tš-L, micro Plaits. that's my quartet at the moment

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:53 am

just to reassure everyone - the Custom Chord entry does work as described in the manual. My issue was the button presses have to be made quite quickly otherwise holding down transpose can enter a different mode instead.

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 pm

guigui wrote: Just for curiosity, I'd like to know which oscillator(s) you have been using Harmonaig with.
Hertz Donut MK1, Piston Honda MK1, Mungo g0.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:29 am

Quick question, is the R output always the root note or is it the lowest note in the chord? I mean, once inversions and voicings come into play those two terms stop being synonymous.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by lisa » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:04 am

guigui wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm
I got mine a few weeks ago and I started using it with Mutable Instruments Stages to get a clean, uniform and tuned result but after a while I found more interest in using different oscillators with loads of modulation. In my latest patch I’m using the two oscillators of Instruo Cš-L slightly FMing each other, the ringmod output, ALM MCO and the Xaoc Belgrad filter as an oscillator (sent through SSF Percussion). All five sound sources having the amplitude modulated by envelopes in five different rhythmical patterns. Etc.

If I want clean, consistent chords I’ll use a normal synth or a piano. :slight_smile:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by behndy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:43 pm

davidjames wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am

I had the Erica briefly and sent it back. It's cool generally, but it didn't work in combination with the Harmonaig for me, and here's why: I really like the idea of having a step sequencer where I can disable steps entirely; I know that from the Korg SQ1. But the Erica switch requires you to press the button twice for skipping (one press is pause, where it will output 0V). Double-press did not work for me as I want to to be able to quickly toggle several steps at once while a fast arpeggio is running.

The freedom to chose between CV addressing and clocking in A-152 is awesome. You even have an attenuator and an offset knob on the CV input. In CV mode, you cannot only sequence it, but you can run LFOs, complex envelopes or random voltages through it. Sequence length can be done on A-152 by connecting a step gate out to reset. Very old school but it works. Step outs can be handy for other things.

No step skip and HP footprint are the major disadvantages on A-152 for me so far.
Thanks dcbb for the insight! It's just so big, but I can see how the step outs would be useful. I might have to go with the Erica for space reasons, and maybe swap in an ALM Boss Bow Tie for when I want CV addressing. And thanks for the inspiration to build a small 3U strumming rack.
i know it was posted a bit ago, but have you looked at the Livestock Maze? it's like a way more (at least for me) intuitive WMD SSM. neat because it also lets you attenuvert inputs as well as matrix assign them.

i had a Harmonaig, loved it, am a git and sold it, have a new one incoming. all the excitements. it's such a beautiful module.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by davidjames » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 pm

behndy wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:43 pm
davidjames wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am

i know it was posted a bit ago, but have you looked at the Livestock Maze? it's like a way more (at least for me) intuitive WMD SSM. neat because it also lets you attenuvert inputs as well as matrix assign them.

i had a Harmonaig, loved it, am a git and sold it, have a new one incoming. all the excitements. it's such a beautiful module.
behndy, thanks for reminding me I have this idea to try. Maze looks pretty great and it would offer a different spin on dcbb's patch. You wouldn't be able to have more than 4 inputs, but with mixing and routing there's tons of possible variation. And a quantizer after maze would be good to keep things in scale, if thats your bag. Also, Maze just looks super useful for all sorts of other patches. My wallet hates you right now.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/3, Tuesday in the bin!, Eloquencer+EME steal, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Re: First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Post by Mannstrane » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Had a noobie question to ask for anyone who owns a Harmonaig.

I am looking to take a CV sequence from an Eloquencer into the Harmonaig that then goes out multiple CV voice inputs to Chainsaw. The Harmonaig seems to have a very hard time tracking and holding the quanitzed CV signal. Even when adjusting the bias knob on the Harmonaig.

Example would be: Sequence Eloquencer for C1 C2 C3 C4. Harmonaig will randomly skip C1 and go C1# or B1. Seems to have a much harder time tracking at lower voltages.

I can send a quantized CV (Eloquencer) to Uscale II without it drifting.
Unquantized CV from Pressurepoints, o_C (Sequin) work with Harmonaig.

Is this something that everyone just lives with? Is this normal behavior for the Harmonaig?

Thank you

Return to “Eurorack Modules”