First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by behndy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:00 pm

davidjames wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 pm
behndy, thanks for reminding me I have this idea to try. Maze looks pretty great and it would offer a different spin on dcbb's patch. You wouldn't be able to have more than 4 inputs, but with mixing and routing there's tons of possible variation. And a quantizer after maze would be good to keep things in scale, if thats your bag. Also, Maze just looks super useful for all sorts of other patches. My wallet hates you right now.
i'm HELPING!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

hel1
Common Wiggler

Re: First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Post by hel1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:24 am

Mannstrane wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:44 pm
Had a noobie question to ask for anyone who owns a Harmonaig.

I am looking to take a CV sequence from an Eloquencer into the Harmonaig that then goes out multiple CV voice inputs to Chainsaw. The Harmonaig seems to have a very hard time tracking and holding the quanitzed CV signal. Even when adjusting the bias knob on the Harmonaig.

Example would be: Sequence Eloquencer for C1 C2 C3 C4. Harmonaig will randomly skip C1 and go C1# or B1. Seems to have a much harder time tracking at lower voltages.
I will try to reproduce this for you when I'm back next week, but I don't remember having this problem at all

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:33 am

Mannstrane wrote:

I am looking to take a CV sequence from an Eloquencer into the Harmonaig that then goes out multiple CV voice inputs to Chainsaw. The Harmonaig seems to have a very hard time tracking and holding the quanitzed CV signal. Even when adjusting the bias knob on the Harmonaig.

Example would be: Sequence Eloquencer for C1 C2 C3 C4. Harmonaig will randomly skip C1 and go C1# or B1. Seems to have a much harder time tracking at lower voltages.

I can send a quantized CV (Eloquencer) to Uscale II without it drifting.
Unquantized CV from Pressurepoints, o_C (Sequin) work with Harmonaig.

Is this something that everyone just lives with? Is this normal behavior for the Harmonaig?

Thank you
I have this issue when using sequencers, that the notes would flicker between each other and it is tricky to get Harmonaig to track accurately. If I turn up the CV attenuator all the way up then Harmonaig tracks accurately, and then I can pitch down octaves as needed. I don't know if something is amiss with my unit of if this is typical behaviour? Seems a little extreme that Harmonaig will only track accurately if the attenuator is all the way +

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mannstrane » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Catchthehare wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:33 am
I have this issue when using sequencers, that the notes would flicker between each other and it is tricky to get Harmonaig to track accurately. If I turn up the CV attenuator all the way up then Harmonaig tracks accurately, and then I can pitch down octaves as needed. I don't know if something is amiss with my unit of if this is typical behaviour? Seems a little extreme that Harmonaig will only track accurately if the attenuator is all the way +
Yes. Sounds exactly the same behavior as mine. I guess the only way to sequence with it would be unquantized sequence such as Pressure Points. Kind of a bit more work when you already have a mono sequence playing from a quantized source and just want chords to go with it. Even though I can't stand uScale II for the menu's being a pain. The uScale II can take a quantized cv input without loosing tracking.

I wonder if a firmware update from Instruo could have it work better with quantized CV input. Has anyone contacted Instruo about this?

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Just checked with a ER-101 sequencer and harmonaig tracks fine here. Maybe a "scratchy" potentiometer? Did you try to wiggle it 30-40 times back and fort ?

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Unless you're having something interposed between the Eloquencer and Harmonaig, having Eloquencer transpose the whole sequence a couple cents up or down might fix it.

(I don't know Eloquencer, but I guess your average feature monster sequencer can do this.)

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:59 pm

A patch question regarding the Harmonàig. I recently got mine .. and was thinking it'd be neat to patch the four quantized outputs to one oscillator via a sequential switch. I am using a MTM Turing Machine to create a melody, which is then quantized by the Harmonàig. What I'm stuck on though is how to trigger quickly playing back the four notes via the switch then stop after the four notes have been played. I feel like I need some kind of toggle that switches off a gate after 4 triggers .. but not sure how I could accomplish that. Any thoughts? :hmm:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:59 pm
A patch question regarding the Harmonàig. I recently got mine .. and was thinking it'd be neat to patch the four quantized outputs to one oscillator via a sequential switch. I am using a MTM Turing Machine to create a melody, which is then quantized by the Harmonàig. What I'm stuck on though is how to trigger quickly playing back the four notes via the switch then stop after the four notes have been played. I feel like I need some kind of toggle that switches off a gate after 4 triggers .. but not sure how I could accomplish that. Any thoughts? :hmm:
One way would be a burst generator (see the notes above in the thread re: the strum patch). I use the Noise Engineering Variatic Erumption which allows you to set the length of the burst. It also has preset burst rhythms which you can choose from, syncs to a clock, is two channels, and has an end-of-burst gate out, which I use to reset my switch. :party:
FS: Lyra-8, Euro Bargain Bin, Tuesday, Mutable, Malekko, more!
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 pm

davidjames wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 pm
I use the Noise Engineering Variatic Erumption which allows you to set the length of the burst.
Thanks for the tip! I will check it out.

When I was originally working on the problem, I had resetting figured out.. but now I can't remember how I was going to handle that.. never mind how I'd handle start/stop and loop length. It seems like a sequential switch would be perfect for routing the pitch CV, but my brain is failing on the logic. :bang:

My racks on ModularGrid

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mannstrane » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:10 pm

pelang wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:07 pm
Just checked with a ER-101 sequencer and harmonaig tracks fine here. Maybe a "scratchy" potentiometer? Did you try to wiggle it 30-40 times back and fort ?
I haven't tried rocking it back and forth 30-40 times. Will have to try that. So if you have 16 steps with 4 notes C0 C1 C2 C3 with the ER-101 and all Harmonaig notes selected, you don't have any tracking issues?

If I turn the bias knob counter clockwise its pretty unstable. If I turn it clockwise, then it does better but I'm transposed higher. I have an ER-101 on order. Problem is, when I get the ER-101, I will be out of my 30 days for returning the unit back to Perfect Circuit. All quantized CV sequencers I have exhibit the same issue. (Eloquencer, FLXS-1)

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:09 pm

yes, C's on a few octaves. However, as I used the attenuator I hade to "find" the C's with the ER-101. After that it was stable.
My point is if your potentiometer is "scratchy" it would mess up the incoming CV. Wiggle the poti can help sometimes.

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:48 pm

hel1 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:24 am
Mannstrane wrote:

I will try to reproduce this for you when I'm back next week, but I don't remember having this problem at all
no, sorry, mine behaves very well

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mannstrane » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Here is a video:

C0-C3. I go to match output octave of Eloquencer and Harmonaig can't hold the notes. Works at higher octave offset but not lower.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:00 am

Mannstrane wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:10 pm
Problem is, when I get the ER-101, I will be out of my 30 days for returning the unit back to Perfect Circuit.
I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Jason @ Instruo is pretty amazing. I bet he can help.

My racks on ModularGrid

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:06 am

Mannstrane wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm
Here is a video:

C0-C3. I go to match output octave of Eloquencer and Harmonaig can't hold the notes. Works at higher octave offset but not lower.
I don't think Harmonaig is calibrated by nature to a 1V/Oct. You may need to dial in from your sequencer the right voltage to get the C's from Harmonaig.
BTW: you can as well double tap on the buttom to have fine-tune and course.

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mannstrane » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:58 am

Got quantize to work! Jason had me clear the offsets by holding transpose and pressing C twice. I don't remember ever storing offsets originally. Thanks for everyone's help!

McRINdk
Common Wiggler

Excellent customer service. Thanks Jason

Post by McRINdk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:33 am

Just a shout out to Jason of Instro. Who has assisted me with a harmonaig tuning issue (described below). What a gent, responsive patient and helpful. This is the second time he has assisted me (first was a Troika tuning issue of my own creating) nad I cannot over emphasize what a great experience it has been on both occasssions. I know it must be really hard to provide this personal service from a 1or 2 person company with all the other stuff going on.

Issue in case you have similar.

I recently reracked my Harmonaig and it was way out of tune. I have no Idea how this happened. It was in its original box in bubble wrap the whole time whilst I built and upgraded to a new 18U case. It would not track even 1 octave in performance mode, with voltages way out.

I sent a bunch of voltage measurements and a video to Jason. He diagnosed it needed a re trim/tune and provided instructions. I had real trouble getting my head around these (I'm an engineer but was confused as to what the trimmers actually did). Jason reacted to my questioning and re tailored his instructions and explanation. The result a is wonderfully musical Harmonaig again.

I would not recommend just tuning for the sake of it. It does involve some knowledge and understanding of whats going on. but if you really have an issue I can tell you how I resolved my case (with help from Jason of course).

stujay18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stujay18 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi team! I've got an arpitecht that I use for simple arpeggiating, and am considering adding the triad for chords. However, I do love my Instruo modules and am curious about the Harmonaig vs. Arp/Triad, for those who've tried both. I've got an Erica Seq. Switch, which I understand would come in handy when using Harmonaig for arps, as opposed to chords.

Could anyone share an opinion of arpitchect/triad vs. Harmonaig? Thank you!

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm

stujay18 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:50 pm
Hi team! I've got an arpitecht that I use for simple arpeggiating, and am considering adding the triad for chords. However, I do love my Instruo modules and am curious about the Harmonaig vs. Arp/Triad, for those who've tried both. I've got an Erica Seq. Switch, which I understand would come in handy when using Harmonaig for arps, as opposed to chords.

I compared the two setups, arp/triad vs. harmonaig/seq switch, went with the latter. No regrets. IIRC arp/triad doesn't properly shift the scale when the root note input changes for a given mode.

stujay18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stujay18 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:25 pm

versipellis wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm
stujay18 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:50 pm

I compared the two setups, arp/triad vs. harmonaig/seq switch, went with the latter. No regrets. IIRC arp/triad doesn't properly shift the scale when the root note input changes for a given mode.
Thank you!

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 am

Mannstrane, I've encountered it in combination with a Westlicht Performer, and it sucks. I just very carefully adjust the scale knob until all semitones hit in the octave range I intend to use. Once it's adjusted it's quite stable, but it sucks to re-adjust when I change scaling in order to play with an unquantised input.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 5:04 am

Mannstrane wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:58 am
Got quantize to work! Jason had me clear the offsets by holding transpose and pressing C twice. I don't remember ever storing offsets originally. Thanks for everyone's help!
I'm glad I've seen this, so thanks to @dcbb for the bump.

I really must read the manual for Harmonaig as I had not been using it so much lately because of odd results. In fact I started to use separate quantisers and gates on the outputs, which is a bit mad really. And it's too good a module for leaving in the case and not using.

cheers

andy

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 am

It works better for me with slower movements and played by hand. Here are few tracks which are based on the Harmonaig:

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 am

Wow. Just beautiful. Would love to read some patchnotes.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 13, 2020 10:59 am

Granular wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 am
Wow. Just beautiful. Would love to read some patchnotes.
Indeed... I also had a look around pelang's website while I was at it... Some quite impressive art installations there......

Return to “Eurorack Modules”