First look at the Instruo Harmonàig harmony quantizer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:36 pm

-S.L- wrote:I have to be honnest, the making of the scales by activating the keys is very random, and still didn't figured out why sometimes one key is enlighted or not, even thou i pressed it...) :despair:

:tu:
It's not actually making a scale, but making a chord.... and has a max of four pitches per user preset. Maybe that has something to do with certain notes not being light?

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 pm

yes chord, not scale ! sorry :tu:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:32 am

Got a question/request for thoughts from anyone who has a good system with Harmonaig.

Im designing a 6u around it, 4 oscillators/vcas ect ect... and the main thing ive been stumped on is how to make variation within the 4 voices, so that there is separate sequences running in tandem with the Harmonaig’s chord structure as the basis for it. Sometimes would be nice for some voices to hold a note longer, maybe a couple of the voices play the same note at once, maybe one of them has some arpeggio? Just to break it up so that not all notes are forced to change at the exact same time

I was looking at o_C but i really would like to stay away from menus in this particular system if i can. Also was thinking maybe a uScale re-quantizing and alternate sequencing with the 2 inputs which would force me to change notes on 2 or more quantizers so that is not ideal either.

Any ideas that people have been doing to get some of this type variation easily with Harmonaig?

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 am

Harmonaig is a harmonic quantizer, not a quad quantizer. This means the four outputs must function together (from the same cv input). It might be possible to stall the quantized outputs by using a Sample and Hold to "hold" the value while other notes change.... but this would be a very difficult task to patch compared to using a Quad Quantizer like O&C.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:53 am

soundslikejoe wrote:Harmonaig is a harmonic quantizer, not a quad quantizer. This means the four outputs must function together (from the same cv input). It might be possible to stall the quantized outputs by using a Sample and Hold to "hold" the value while other notes change.... but this would be a very difficult task to patch compared to using a Quad Quantizer like O&C.
Yes, i should have prefaced by saying i have one already and really like it. Particularly i like the interface with the keyboard and the quantizing can happen within a musical mode. its incredibly playable, thats why i was wondering if anyone has these types of workarounds where i can keep this playability and just add variation.

S+H is definitely a consideration of mine for doing this, would something like the Sport Modulator droop too much to use on pre-quantized voltage? I had s+h once that drooped like crazy and was unusable for this task.

Thanks a bunch

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:55 am

damase, O&C is the powerhouse for this sort of technique because of all the trigger support and the diverse “applets” available. The menus aren’t that bad because in this sort of application, it’s mostly set and forget: you set the app to do what you want and it just sits there and does it while your focus returns to patching your modulation.

However, you can still use Harmonaig as a quad pitch source. Yes, they will all change together, but you can still patch those CV outs to sample-and-holds, track and holds, and shift registers, in order to delay/skip their effects.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 am

damase wrote:S+H is definitely a consideration of mine for doing this, would something like the Sport Modulator droop too much to use on pre-quantized voltage? I had s+h once that drooped like crazy and was unusable for this task.
If you’re doing a lot of melodic stuff like this, you’re probably going to need more than one quantizer. I often requantize quantized pitch cv after messing with it.

Obviously, there are digital S&H modules (e.g., Shifty) that are droop-less.

stwerewolf
Common Wiggler

Post by stwerewolf » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:06 am

Is there any sign of a production version heading out to UK shops yet?

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 am

Much appreciated. Some good ideas i havent thought of yet. Totally forgot about shifty. Definitely trying to balance simplicity for this system. Im going to look more into o_C, maybe it will be more simple than i imagine and its seeming more like its the ideal way to do this kind of task and can be as small as 8hp. My goal would be to have it in complete cv control so that i dont really mess with the menu much in action.

If you re-quantize pitches, do you have any way of meta-control these musical changes? Or you just have to change all quantizers separately by hand?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13 am

damase wrote:Much appreciated. Some good ideas i havent thought of yet. Totally forgot about shifty. Definitely trying to balance simplicity for this system. Im going to look more into o_C, maybe it will be more simple than i imagine and its seeming more like its the ideal way to do this kind of task and can be as small as 8hp. My goal would be to have it in complete cv control so that i dont really mess with the menu much in action.
There’s nothing “playable” about O&C, so you really have no choice but CV control. :hihi: I recommend you go watch some videos on Quantermain, Copier Maschine, Automatonnetz, Harrington 1200, and Acid Curds (which is a dubious substitute for Harmonaig).
If you re-quantize pitches, do you have any way of meta-control these musical changes? Or you just have to change all quantizers separately by hand?
Depends on what you have and what you want to do! But no, there’s no magical recipe for meta-control. The forthcoming Instruo Sinfonion basically puts a Harmonaig-like chord generator, arpeggiator and additional quantizers together under meta control. The Sinfionion is still going to change scales all at once, though, so it won’t eliminate the need for sample & hold, track & hold and shift registers if you want to hold over earlier pitch values.

Meanwhile, sometimes it’s handy to just have a utility semitone quantizer lying around that you can run a mangled pitch cv through to snap it back into tune.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Tested out s+h via wogglebug to interupt the sequences, that alone is awesome and lots of fun however yes the droop makes it unusable for anything longer than a few seconds. So digital appears to be necessary...

looking at o_C i think this is definitely the ticket. Even at its barebones as a 4 channel semitone quantized s+h it offers much more variation than anything else i can see. The quantermain, copier, and meta-q apps look like i could feed the Harmonaig voltages straight in and then Harmonaig itself would be the meta controller of sequences, and then i can use all sorts of modulation within that control. Doesnt seem that hard to set up either. Im so glad i looked further at this thank you mdoudoroff

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Decided my demoing of the S+H trick from Harmonaig to create variation was cool enough to share. If anyone's interested about this trick... Its crude and simple but mainly just IFM Fourses master controlling a melody made possible through Harmonaig with 1 voice sampled and held to be slower

https://soundcloud.com/damasemusic/dama ... es-harmony

IFM Fourses controlling everything
Instruo Harmonaig Quantizing Fourses Root and third fed to 2 voices of Intellijel Shapeshifter, Root is fed to a S+H first, on a slower clock.
Root voice Shapeshifter is into IFM Sprott, provides the bassline, Third voice is fed to Rossum Evolution, and then routed to Intellijel Rainmaker for verb and mixed with WMD Performance Mixer.

Excited to get a 4 channel version of this with o_C going :party:

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 am

gwpt wrote:a simple demo with six voices

https://soundcloud.com/gwpt/1st-harmonaig-demo

4 voices playing choppy chords
1 voice playing bass (derived from the root note from the harmonaig)
1 voice playing arpeggio (sequential switch cycling through the 4 voices from the harmonaig)
The sequence is F, D#, D, C
and the mode is being varied through Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian and I lost track of the others! :)
this is brilliant! i just received mine and i´m going to spend sometime with it. I feel the need for a manual . Anyone here knows if there is a manual coming soon? , if not i´ll try to make something based on the video demo.

7C
Common Wiggler

Post by 7C » Sun May 06, 2018 6:54 am

amazing module. supertight, intuitive, musical, in combination with switches (after and before as well) this just became my main sequencer for now, love it!
soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/tky5gbs
--
nonetheless bandcamp > https://tinyurl.com/qrt5bjp
nonetheless soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/yc98l8s5
--
racks > http://tinyurl.com/p4clpyp

gb2
Common Wiggler

Post by gb2 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:03 am

(if i recall correctly) i was told at superbooth that they are playing around with an additional mode that would compensate tuning differences in vcos. i hope they just do a separate module with this feature, that would be extremely useful!

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 am

Any release date? :hmm:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience

Post by -S.L- » Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 am

it's already out, you must buy it directly from Jason

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 am

Hey guys,

anyone from Canada order from Jason? I ordered a Harmonaig last week and the package has kinda disappeared after leaving England to come to Canada. I typically see delays in customs, but this is listed with the tracking number. Right now Royal Mail says it was sent over to Canada last Saturday, but Canada Post still does not have it in their systems - just kind of gone.

Just wondering if any other Canadians have ordered and what their experience was?

I have been in touch with Jason and he is looking into things from his end as well (great customer service).

Waiting (im)patiently - haha!

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

i feel like this happened to me to when i had mine shipped (to the US) once it left the UK it went into this weird limbo and once it did the whole customs thing it finally popped up in the USPS system, but it took a bit of time. that stuff used to freak me out, but i've gotten in the habit of just assuming it will take way longer than i think it should.

hope everything gets sorted for you!

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks jwm, that makes me feel a bit better. I seem to recall that any overseas mail that gets sen over the weekend takes longer for customs to process it.

How are you liking the module so far, any cool use cases you've found outside of the obvious? I was thinking about outputting the 4 separate harmonic intervals to a switch and using some method to switch between the different notes. Could be a pretty fun patch depending on how you modulate the switch.

Thanks again man!

10 Miles High
Common Wiggler

Post by 10 Miles High » Thu May 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Dunno about Canada, but I am here in Moscow and I asked Jason to send a Harmonaig for me to Dusseldorf in Germany. Jason is so a incredible person tp deal with. All was flawless. Love ! Just order from him personally and you will be just fine.

10 Mh

10 Miles High
Common Wiggler

Post by 10 Miles High » Thu May 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Offtopic but we want here to make a big art exhibition using his new bio feedback module. Future is here ) well, it seems to be in Scotland but we in the world are free to order it ) :nana:

CV is philosophy.

10 Mh

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Bypassing quantization

Post by SuppleWhat » Sat May 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Just got my Harmonaig and am loving it.

In my current set up, I am mostly feeding it pitch from the Metropolis sequencer that outputs already quantized CV.

If I want to use all the great chord functionality of the Harmonaig, but NOT have it further quantize the CV, how should I set it up so that it is not removing pitches from the Metropolis CV?

toomanatees
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Bypassing quantization

Post by toomanatees » Sat May 26, 2018 6:33 pm

SuppleWhat wrote:Just got my Harmonaig and am loving it.

In my current set up, I am mostly feeding it pitch from the Metropolis sequencer that outputs already quantized CV.

If I want to use all the great chord functionality of the Harmonaig, but NOT have it further quantize the CV, how should I set it up so that it is not removing pitches from the Metropolis CV?
I would think turning the input CV attenuator all the way up and making sure all the notes on keyboard were selected would keep it in sync with a previously quantized signal.

synkrotron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm

-S.L- wrote:it's already out, you must buy it directly from Jason
How?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”