How do YOU transpose a melody?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon May 15, 2017 5:11 pm

I saw a mention of the quantimator and had to chime in.
I have run the Doepfer Trautonium ribbon controller, plugged into the quantize input of the Quantimator.
Lots of fun.
I switched to a sequencer and put the ribbon controller output into the transpose input of the quantimator just for a place to store the patch cord.
It worked great, using the ribbon to transpose.
It is a blast learning how to play a ribbon controller like a trombone, no frets, no keys.

So, I have transposed with a ribbon controller plugged into a Topobrillo Quantimator

Foghorn

Edit: changed for clarity
Last edited by Foghorn on Fri May 19, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

cane creek
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cane creek » Tue May 16, 2017 5:18 am

Beasts chalkboard

GoneCaving
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GoneCaving » Tue May 16, 2017 5:23 am

Monome Earthsea

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue May 16, 2017 5:30 am

pitri wrote:what also works:
seq->attenuator->quantizer
adjust attenuator to taste
Very simple but very effective ! Thanks

However what I use the most are the aux input of my Metropolis...

plutino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plutino » Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 pm

I've used a combo of Rene and Octone but without a precision adder I wasn't totally happy with the results. The Disting's quantizer has an ok transpose but at the loss of triggering quantization.

I recently got an Arpitecht and have been really happy with how it handles quantization and transposing. Useful if you only have one sequencer, crazy useful if you have two (or 3, or 4 :D) I also use a Teletype for sequencing and progressions.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu May 18, 2017 11:35 am

cane creek wrote:Beasts chalkboard
this module seems cool, but does it let you transpose one external v/oct signal with another v/oct signal. i didnt see anything in the manual saying you could do this, looks like you can only transpose internally and manually with the octave knobs.

it says the top channel is normalized to the bottom, but im assuming if u plug a cv in the bottom channel it breaks that normalization. it would be better for transposition if instead of breaking that normalization, it added the second cv input to the top cv input, plus having the octave add or subtract controls.

simonhold
Common Wiggler

Post by simonhold » Thu May 18, 2017 7:15 pm

pitri wrote:what also works:
seq->attenuator->quantizer
adjust attenuator to taste
This, and the shift input on either the ADDAC or Intellijel quantizer. But I guess that would count more as scale modulation than simple transposing (depending on the settings of course).

The idea of putting quantizers in series for transposition is a bit odd to me as you are limiting the possible 1V/oct options twice. You need to have some extra signal to tell your module where to shift the values to in order to get new values. But this is done by using the shift input, or attenuation before the quantizer, not quantizers in series.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am

nectarios wrote:Doepfer A-185-2 precision adder, with some offset from PP, Rene, Modcan Touch Sequencer.
The a-185-2 is definitely the best module for this purpose.
esmeets wrote:Thanks so far!
No one here using a quantizer with transpose CV?
Sequencer (quantized pitch cv) --> quantizer (only for transpose) --> VCO
I use the Ladik U-030 fader module (which was my own suggestion to vj :mrgreen: ) to control two uscale modules. You can either transpose using the shift input or move between different scales (they don't necessarily need to be on the same key).

You could use a uscale or any quantizer with the a-185-2 in a similar fashion, as transposition sources of CV to be added or subtracted from your original sequence (using the Doepfer). In my setup the addac 222 also gives me the option to tranpose my sequences between octaves, or you can always use a hands on switch like the 206 to swap between transposed sequences.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

HZR
Common Wiggler

Re: How do YOU transpose a melody?

Post by HZR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm

What about a 8step seq and a slower triggered 4step sequencer into a unity mixer.

Would that work?
I mean is it possible to just add those voltages so you can control the transpose with the 4step?

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:24 pm

Various. eithe rthe DAW or from a keyboard (juno 60 into a dcb to midi converter, then into doepfer a190-3)

i then send the pitch to whatever oscillators but the timing is also quantized so that it's always on the next beat/bar. I do this with a s&h that is waiting for a clock signal (on the beat) to change to the next value that i pressed on the keyboard. Works really well
FOR SALE: M.N DPO. X0X HEART, CHORD V2, SENSIBLE OFFERS! UK

https://michaeldow.bandcamp.com/album/m ... light-side
https://soundcloud.com/obleomusic

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm

HZR wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm
What about a 8step seq and a slower triggered 4step sequencer into a unity mixer.

Would that work?
I mean is it possible to just add those voltages so you can control the transpose with the 4step?
Yes, a precise unity mixer would do that. But with a regular unity mixer, it'll be a bit of a gamble.

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 pm

sir stony wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm
HZR wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm

Would that work?
Yes, a precise unity mixer would do that. But with a regular unity mixer, it'll be a bit of a gamble.
I commonly patch a sequencer, and CV in from a keyboard into a Unity Mixer, then into a quantizer before reaching the oscillator. I like the dual scale quantizer on Hemisphere suite on the Ornament and Crime as you can simply switch between major and minor (or any chords) with a trigger.

Using this arrangement, and a S+H between the keyboard CV and the mixer, I can set up something pretty close to those "auto-chord" modes you get on cheap Casio and Yamaha home keyboards!

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Am I allowed to say Sinfonion? :P

But if I'm not feeling like using the Sinfonion, I self-patch Usta Root+Pitch Shift inputs with an Usta track to transpose.

The Doepfer A-173-1/2 Micro Keyboard combination is a neat hands-on way to transpose too.

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Anyone interested in a low cost (about $145 USD), simple way to manually transpose a sequence on the fly with toggle switches should take a look at the T43 from vpme.de. Five switches let you transpose up or down by one, two or four semitones, or 1 or 2 octaves. They can be used in any combination for up to 43 semitones/3.5 octaves added or subtracted from the CV input. It's also a precision adder with 2 extra inputs for additional voltage sources (but does not quantize these, so you'd want to do that prior to patching into it). Only 4 hp.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vpme-de-t43
https://vpme.de/t43/

Also, the Klavis CalTrans has octave and semitone transpose encoders, along with its main function of automatically creating a calibration profile to apply a correction curve to the pitch CV for up to four VCOs that have tracking issues when playing a sequence that spans multiple octaves.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/klavis-caltrans-
https://www.klavis.com/index.php/all-products/caltrans
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:50 pm

Time to update my old DAW-centric answer with a couple of methods:

- DC offset through Ladik P075 switch. Usually I do this with drones, but adding it to a CV signal with Shades works (Shades is extremely close to 1.0x gain with a knob up full)

- Monome Teletype

chriserin
1-Post Wiggler

Post by chriserin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 pm

nostalghia wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 pm
They can be used in any combination for up to 43 semitones/3.5 octaves added or subtracted from the CV input. It's also a precision adder with 2 extra inputs for additional voltage sources (but does not quantize these, so you'd want to do that prior to patching into it). Only 4 hp.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vpme-de-t43
https://vpme.de/t43/
I just got it, love it, and that's how I transpose. I wish I got move those switches with gates though!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”