AJH Synth - the world needs to know

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

AJH Synth - the world needs to know

Post by nikarga » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Fellow Muffs: I'd like to take the opportunity to praise Allan over at AJH Synth for his vision, help and the impeccable quality of his modules. I am really lost for words.

Let it be known from the get-go I have absolutely nothing to gain from what I am about to say. Also, I wont go on to describe the sound as it has been discussed extensively in the past. My only comment on this front? The Minimod is hands down the fattest, loudest, sweetest sounding system I have ever come across.

But if I may, let me take a moment to talk about what really REALLY impressed me. I quickly realised behind his humble demeanour lies a geek with immense knowledge and and enormous amount of love for the modules he produces. I was so damn impressed with his attention to detail - from the communication to the packing to the modules themselves. Seriously?

I post the following pics, not to show off as the proud owner of a Minimod system :hyper: :hihi: (ok that too!)

Rather, to let fellow wigglers, paricularly those on the other side of the pond (that may not have seen/used/had access to these modules), know that AJH makes the highest quality products I've seen in Eurorack format - end of. Coming from Moog territory and 1/4" jacks I have been highly apprehensive of the euro format; the size benefit sometimes comes at the expense of build quality or at least feels like parts will fall apart.. Not to worry my friends, not with these modules; these are built like tanks... No wonder they sound so fat and glorious.

There is no doubt in my mind this little company is on to something great.. Allans' additional modules are already becoming best in-class (RingMod with Sub hello?).. the Minimod System has already left its mark and... I am being told AJH will soon be delving into its own territory and sound - something I'm really looking forward to.

Moreover, the world needs to know Allan and Co. doesn't just make the best RA Moog clones, they also make the highest quality products.. I'm sure their future product line will not disappoint.

Basically, if you've been on the fence about these... dont be. Just pull the trigger - you will not be disappointed.

I repeat I have nothing to gain from writing this... I just think it is my duty to the community to let the world know.

Bravo to AJH Synth... Hats off to you Allan, your wonderful wife and team.

I leave you all with the following pics, I'm already saving for my next modules:

Live for gear...

Superfuzzyfrog
Common Wiggler

Post by Superfuzzyfrog » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:51 pm

One day soon the Ring sm will be mine. Seeing a post like this gets me all excited. I can't wait to see what what he comes out with when he delves into some new territory and sound. Thanks for the look under the hood.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:54 pm

I have the Ring SM and love it too. Great stuff.

Nice 2814 profile pic btw!

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Yep AJH rule

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:38 am

i recently got 2 vcos and the sonic vcf and i all i can say is

WOW :hail:

Hanz
Analogue Avenger

Post by Hanz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:42 am

Agreed, AJH modules sound fantastic, extremely well built and great support / personal interaction with Allan - really goes the extra mile in answering any questions. Definitely a mainstay in my modular system!
“...I am merely a conduit, a kind of big hairy tool. I am just a plastic funnel connected to a Moog...”

srcodling
Common Wiggler

Post by srcodling » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:13 am

The moogish modules don't interest me (yet!) but I have to echo about the company and the build quality. I LOVE my Sonic XV and Ring SM. Lots of stuff I've got I can imagine swapping in/out over time, but my AJH modules are not among them...

jsheaucsb
Common Wiggler

Post by jsheaucsb » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:46 am

I'll definitely add to the pile of praise above. Absolutely wonderful modules. Have 3 VCOs and 2 LP Filters. Build quality and sound are outstanding!

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm

I have and love the Ring SM, and am eyeing the MiniMod VCO to play along with my AFG and uLFO. Layers!

noeticsound
Common Wiggler

Re: AJH Synth - the world needs to know

Post by noeticsound » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm

nikarga wrote:I repeat I have nothing to gain from writing this... I just think it is my duty to the community to let the world know.

Bravo to AJH Synth... Hats off to you Allan, your wonderful wife and team.
Great post, nikarga.

Our community of synth nerds constantly demands ever more exciting toys and tools from our manufacturers. We ought to keep in mind that this is a small, niche market, and competent designers and engineers have all kinds of lucrative options these days.

When people like Allan and his team dedicate themselves to creating and making available really high-quality synths, we have a responsibility to our community to show our appreciation.

I don't have anything AJH on my shopping list because I already have a Minimoogesque monosynth (SE-1X), but this thread has prompted me to take a harder look at their offerings.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Agreed.

I have the MiniMod VCO, and I'm saving up for the Ring SM and the Sonic XV.

AJH isn't the cheapest, but it is worth every penny! I'm looking forward to Allan doing more modules of his own design. Ideas like the Variable Precision Buffer are exactly the type of well-thought out innovation the eurorack market needs.

Thank you Allan!
:tu:

Lsd911
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lsd911 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm buying an AJH module next. BUT GUYS PLEASE MAKE A SYNCABLE SINE.

Really pleased to see this kind of praise for a good manufacturer. Their distribution is good too so we all have no excuse to try them

juvation
Common Wiggler

Post by juvation » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 pm

+1 for magnificent AJH modules

i have the oscillator and filter, with another oscillator on order.

i notice the kb37 + AJH combo there in the pictures. i'm eyeing that as a replacement for my real Minimoog, even... :woah:
-
Jason Proctor

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Never seen or had anything better in Euro then this:

Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Allan is ace, the modules are ace, job done! :party: :tu:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:27 pm

juvation wrote:+1 for magnificent AJH modules

i have the oscillator and filter, with another oscillator on order.

i notice the kb37 + AJH combo there in the pictures. i'm eyeing that as a replacement for my real Minimoog, even... :woah:
I sold my Voyager EB KB to get the Model D re-issue.. then I went to try it and sure it was fat... but too basic and I'm not a KB player.

I needed 3 things:

1. Eurorack compatibility (1/4" vs 1/8"with 1v/oct tracking)
2. Patchability ala Voyager but with the Model D sound
3. Longed for RA Moog which 99% of Model Ds in existence are not.

While not deal breakers per say, AJH addressed all the points killing 3 birds with 1 stone. The KB37 isn't the best keyboard in town but it does what it does extremely well and I am so far very impressed with the build quality. The case is metal and the knobs and connections feel solid. Its a fantastic way to get a patchable (and most likely fatter) Model D. No brainer for me...

What's missing from the KB37? No clock in (although can sync/receive over Midi/USB) and no way to transpose the arp (for example while pressing something and pushing down a key in realtime when in hold mode)... the benefits far outweigh those limitations though: Gate/pitch/velocity and aftertouch, mod wheel patchable CV outs! Also, the gate/pitch are normalled to the Powerbus meaning you dont need to patch cables for pitch/gate - how cool is that?
Live for gear...

Handmedown
Common Wiggler

Post by Handmedown » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm

I agree with all. I have found my combination of VCO,filter,eg and vca to create a very dramatic sound. Soon I will have two more VCO's to complement my setup. Its a setup that is in every patch.

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Allan definitely makes some of the best stuff going in any format.

nikarga - a ring/mix/sub and dual LFO/vca would good addition at some point. The r/m/s is my essential module; got 3 and could do with another.

Handmedown - there'll be a 8 VCO AJH system on Vancouver Island in a few months so we'll have to meet up.

The AJH vco's sound great run into Buchla format filters as well and then back into the r/m/s.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:30 am

+1. :bananaguitar:

nashsnazzy
Common Wiggler

Post by nashsnazzy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:49 am

This is a great looking setup. I wasn't a fan of the FM on the VCO I tried, but it's a saw core and perhaps I just don't care for saw core FM. I'm curious how the PWM of one VCO sounds. Could you post a sample?

Muse FTW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Muse FTW » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:09 am

I'm thinking about getting the Minimod setup to add to my system with a Yarns to get some polyphonic Model D sounds. Every time I see AJH being discussed, it's with the highest compliments, so I'm pretty excited to dive in.

I think I'm going with:

3x VCO
VCF
VCA
Dual Contour
Gain Switch

I'm still debating the Glide/Noise, but I'll probably end up getting that too.

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:39 am

Muse FTW wrote:I'm thinking about getting the Minimod setup to add to my system with a Yarns to get some polyphonic Model D sounds. Every time I see AJH being discussed, it's with the highest compliments, so I'm pretty excited to dive in.

I think I'm going with:

3x VCO
VCF
VCA
Dual Contour
Gain Switch

I'm still debating the Glide/Noise, but I'll probably end up getting that too.
I have the same exact AJH Setup except the Glide which i don't need,
there is no way you can go wrong with it.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 pm

The AJH VCA shouldn't be overlooked. It is versatile and adds nicely to any meaty patches. I honestly haven't used it for CV control duties, since I always use it in the audio path - mostly for lead voices, bass voices and sequences.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:35 pm

indexofmetals wrote: nikarga - a ring/mix/sub...would good addition at some point. The r/m/s is my essential module; got 3 and could do with another.
:guinness: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :guinness:

Live for gear...

Now and Zen
Common Wiggler

Post by Now and Zen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:37 pm

MindMachine wrote:The AJH VCA shouldn't be overlooked. It is versatile and adds nicely to any meaty patches. I honestly haven't used it for CV control duties, since I always use it in the audio path - mostly for lead voices, bass voices and sequences.
Really glad you're enjoying it :-) and with the gain jumper removed (or controlled from the Gain Switch Multi) it can be really overdriven too....

But I think I need to clarify that the MiniMod VCA is suitable for use with Audio signals only as it is AC coupled - it won't work as a VCA if CV voltages are fed into the Audio inputs. Our CV-Offset/Mix/VCA module is designed specifically to work with control voltages, both as a VCA and a polarising mixer.

A quick point regarding the MiniMod VCA which is very relevant to the KB37 and probably worth mentioning here - it is actually two VCA's hard wired in series - CV1 and CV2 control the level of VCA 1 and the Master CV controls the level of VCA2, which is down stream of VCA 1 (VCA 2 was originally for an external volume pedal on the Model D, and was normalised fully open). This makes it particularly suitable for controlling key velocity on the KB37 and similar setups - the Envelope controlling loudness is connected to CV1 (or CV2) and the 0 to 5v Velocity CV from the KB37 is patched into the Master CV in, and the Master level set to around 5 on the dial - in this configuration VCA 1 handles the level over time generated by the envelope, and VCA 2 (which is downstream) looks after the overall velocity generated from the keyboard. This is not possible, or certainly not as controllable with just a regular single VCA. Hope this is helpful...

Oh, and thanks ever so much to the OP and everyone else for the very complimentary comments on our modules, so glad that you are finding them musically useful and are happy with the sound and performance - it certainly spurs us on to develop more new stuff :tu:

Allan
Adding vintage DNA to Eurorack
www.ajhsynth.com

Return to “Eurorack Modules”