AJH Synth - the world needs to know

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Damn...the quotes...lol.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 am

BasariStudios wrote:Damn...the quotes...lol.
hahaha.. indeed :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:
Live for gear...

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Re: AJH Synth - the world needs to know

Post by chaosick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:52 pm

nikarga wrote:
chaosick wrote:
dmod wrote:
chaosick wrote:
nikarga wrote:Fellow Muffs: I'd like to take the opportunity to praise Allan over at AJH Synth for his vision, help and the impeccable quality of his modules. I am really lost for words.

Let it be known from the get-go I have absolutely nothing to gain from what I am about to say. Also, I wont go on to describe the sound as it has been discussed extensively in the past. My only comment on this front? The Minimod is hands down the fattest, loudest, sweetest sounding system I have ever come across.

But if I may, let me take a moment to talk about what really REALLY impressed me. I quickly realised behind his humble demeanour lies a geek with immense knowledge and and enormous amount of love for the modules he produces. I was so damn impressed with his attention to detail - from the communication to the packing to the modules themselves. Seriously?

I post the following pics, not to show off as the proud owner of a Minimod system :hyper: :hihi: (ok that too!)

Rather, to let fellow wigglers, paricularly those on the other side of the pond (that may not have seen/used/had access to these modules), know that AJH makes the highest quality products I've seen in Eurorack format - end of. Coming from Moog territory and 1/4" jacks I have been highly apprehensive of the euro format; the size benefit sometimes comes at the expense of build quality or at least feels like parts will fall apart.. Not to worry my friends, not with these modules; these are built like tanks... No wonder they sound so fat and glorious.

There is no doubt in my mind this little company is on to something great.. Allans' additional modules are already becoming best in-class (RingMod with Sub hello?).. the Minimod System has already left its mark and... I am being told AJH will soon be delving into its own territory and sound - something I'm really looking forward to.

Moreover, the world needs to know Allan and Co. doesn't just make the best RA Moog clones, they also make the highest quality products.. I'm sure their future product line will not disappoint.

Basically, if you've been on the fence about these... dont be. Just pull the trigger - you will not be disappointed.

I repeat I have nothing to gain from writing this... I just think it is my duty to the community to let the world know.

Bravo to AJH Synth... Hats off to you Allan, your wonderful wife and team.
It's a pretty funny (but understandable point) I've raised with Ben_Hex that--I agree, AJH is absolutely killer--but they seem largely unknown or unused here in North America, maybe because this is where Moog comes from, even though I'd rather have these than pretty much any Moog instrument. The power of the Moog sway is long lasting, ironically, even though I feel Moog is even more loved in the UK than the US. Also, the euro community here is more experimentally focused I feel, compared to Europe, and they don't seem to be "trendy" in the same way that say, Make Noise or MI is, even though I prefer AJH to almost any company. Meanwhile Moog releases its "revolutionary" subsequent 37 with a whole 6 cv outputs, which no human has ever before seen!!!
I know what you mean. I have always had the best Moogs from all the best times, years etc and by far these modules are my fav( I no longer own my vintage Moogs ;) ). Sound wise(even down to how everything interacts) is just like a Minimoog. Add in the patchability of a Moog Modular and it is hard to beat. There newer Moogs are great but not in the same league. I am working on a demo that will show off the more modern side of having a modular setup via my Minimod system. These modules are so authentic it is very easy to want to go all out retro when you start playing with them but they are capable of so much more besides sounding amazing.
I use them in every patch I make as crazy as it gets--actually, one of my only criticism of AJH and its official promo and associate video is that they seem to highlight the keyboard centric use/very vanilla use of them..even though it's in euro, which really sells then short. I personally don't care at all about specifically trying to emulate a minimoog (and I'm too young to have any lustful nostalgia for it), don't own any keyboards, they're just great sounding and versatile modules, here's a piece I made a few months back that makes use of an AJH VCO, Ring SM and AQA VCO (which I find the dark cousin counterpart of AJH VCOs):Exoplanets

And the finished version: https://soundcloud.com/chaosnick/exoplanets
Absolutely love this...
Thank you! Seems like we have some parallel aesthetics. You're one of the only other people I've ever heard mix guitar in with synths/eurorack.

Andrew108
Common Wiggler

Post by Andrew108 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 am

Thought I'd add a comment here. I've just got my first AJH Synth module which is the RING SM and I'm totally blown away. I love how it adds sub bass frequencies. I don't really know what to say except that even digital oscillators feel more 'alive' when passed through it.
I'm seriously considering adding the full set of AJH Synth modules. Starting to get more excited about the quality and depth of sound rather than the craziness of some popular modules.

Leescan
Common Wiggler

Post by Leescan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:58 am

These do sound awesome. I was recently in the market for some
Analogue fattness and got an SEM Pro but I still feel the need for some of these

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Andrew108 wrote:Thought I'd add a comment here. I've just got my first AJH Synth module which is the RING SM and I'm totally blown away. I love how it adds sub bass frequencies. I don't really know what to say except that even digital oscillators feel more 'alive' when passed through it.
I'm seriously considering adding the full set of AJH Synth modules. Starting to get more excited about the quality and depth of sound rather than the craziness of some popular modules.
The great thing about euro is that you don't have to choose--I have AJH stuff next to complex/chaotic modulations and a variety of other manufacturers. The sonic XV is quite a crazy waveshaper and filter BTW if you want it to be. One of the most interesting filters I've ever used, natural pair with the Ring SM, also one of my favorites.

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:33 am

I love that classic moog sound.
I'm thinking to go at least for the filter (obviously) but also for the VCA and the gain switch only. I already have VCOs (rubicon + dixie) but no ADSR (only AR envelope). Do I really need one ?

Stice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm

I’ve long wanted some AJH. I like the black panels but have an irrational hatred of the Moog-style knobs. Has anyone replaced the knobs in their AJH and want to share a picture? I’m thinking black or white Davies 1900H would look nice.

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:29 am

I have a gemini and a Finalizer. They both sound really great but both are noisy with that PSU. More than every other modules in my two mantis cases.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 am

Buying a set of the original AJH modules a couple of years back cured my GAS for the reissue Model D (and, let's be honest, they do a lot more at a less expensive price point once things like hard sync and PWM are taken into account).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”