AJH Synth - the world needs to know

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

knotakt
Common Wiggler

Post by knotakt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:20 pm

I also have 2 of the oscs. Really nice oscs. And well built. I really like the octave switches. I have one other module with one of those rotary switches. The aion low pass. That switch is the best I've felt. Its just so solid, but its only a 3 way.

One cool module that would compliment the oscs would be a triple 4 way switch so you can quickly switch between the different waveforms, like on a real model d.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Now and Zen wrote:
MindMachine wrote:The AJH VCA shouldn't be overlooked. It is versatile and adds nicely to any meaty patches. I honestly haven't used it for CV control duties, since I always use it in the audio path - mostly for lead voices, bass voices and sequences.
Really glad you're enjoying it :-) and with the gain jumper removed (or controlled from the Gain Switch Multi) it can be really overdriven too....

But I think I need to clarify that the MiniMod VCA is suitable for use with Audio signals only as it is AC coupled - it won't work as a VCA if CV voltages are fed into the Audio inputs.
Allan
Thank you for the clarification. I never bothered to look at the specs to be frank.

Glad your line took off and glad to be an early subscriber.

MM
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 pm

Just got the Ladder Filter and a pair of DH-ADSRs hooked up (awaiting restock of the other components). Got three square waves running into that filter and hoo boy that sounds good! Fine, fat old school synth sounds!

jesselucas
Common Wiggler

Post by jesselucas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:Just got the Ladder Filter and a pair of DH-ADSRs hooked up (awaiting restock of the other components). Got three square waves running into that filter and hoo boy that sounds good! Fine, fat old school synth sounds!
Same! Patch I started last week.

Loving AJH. Customer service has been outstanding!

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 pm

I concur, these modules and Alan's work are spot on! Can't get any better in my opinion. Also it is easy to get caught up on how great they sound but after having these for 3 years I can say they are quite powerful when you take the time to patch them. Like having a modular Minimoog(duh). I will be putting out a good demo soon and I will be sure to post a link here. :hail: :minimoog:

recoveryeffects
Common Wiggler

Post by recoveryeffects » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:18 am

Allan brings much needed quality and style to the Eurorack format. He's been an inspiration to me for sure!

Sebastian Cain
Common Wiggler

Post by Sebastian Cain » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:45 pm

So... who is going to step up and build a memorymoog with AJH modules? :hyper: :yay: :75: :75: :goo:
:agonizer:

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Sebastian Cain wrote:So... who is going to step up and build a memorymoog with AJH modules? :hyper: :yay: :75: :75: :goo:
:agonizer:
To be honest. Memory Moogs are pretty overrated. I have had every Moog you can think of and that was my least favorite.

ianross
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ianross » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:51 pm

sorry double post
Last edited by ianross on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianross
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ianross » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:52 pm

i don't understand the point of gluing the calibration trimmers. It's cool that he trims them and all, but after years might it not need adjustment?

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:42 pm

to echo- i love positive posts like this in the community, as opposed to negativity directed at manufacturer x. even though i have no interest in cloning a vintage synth (i've got an octave cat and others) it's really great to see the enthusiasm and manufacturer support.

mad props to others that i know of that do the same: mutable, synthtech and make noise

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:45 pm

Oh and i forgot to mention the insane help from intellijel!!

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:33 am

jesselucas wrote:Same! Patch I started last week.

Loving AJH. Customer service has been outstanding!
Noticed you using the MN CV Bus.. I have one in my SS and its amazing.. is that the MN Case or have you got a 7U badguy with 1U of horizontal?
:nana: :nana:
Live for gear...

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:46 am

I took AJH modules for spin at Brighton Modular Meet. Impressive, as others have already said. But really nice to see and hear for myself.

jesselucas
Common Wiggler

Post by jesselucas » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 pm

nikarga wrote: Noticed you using the MN CV Bus.. I have one in my SS and its amazing.. is that the MN Case or have you got a 7U badguy with 1U of horizontal?
:nana: :nana:
It's a Make Noise case. I loved the CV Bus so much in the Shared System I bought another case! :goo:

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Re: AJH Synth - the world needs to know

Post by chaosick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 pm

nikarga wrote:Fellow Muffs: I'd like to take the opportunity to praise Allan over at AJH Synth for his vision, help and the impeccable quality of his modules. I am really lost for words.

Let it be known from the get-go I have absolutely nothing to gain from what I am about to say. Also, I wont go on to describe the sound as it has been discussed extensively in the past. My only comment on this front? The Minimod is hands down the fattest, loudest, sweetest sounding system I have ever come across.

But if I may, let me take a moment to talk about what really REALLY impressed me. I quickly realised behind his humble demeanour lies a geek with immense knowledge and and enormous amount of love for the modules he produces. I was so damn impressed with his attention to detail - from the communication to the packing to the modules themselves. Seriously?

I post the following pics, not to show off as the proud owner of a Minimod system :hyper: :hihi: (ok that too!)

Rather, to let fellow wigglers, paricularly those on the other side of the pond (that may not have seen/used/had access to these modules), know that AJH makes the highest quality products I've seen in Eurorack format - end of. Coming from Moog territory and 1/4" jacks I have been highly apprehensive of the euro format; the size benefit sometimes comes at the expense of build quality or at least feels like parts will fall apart.. Not to worry my friends, not with these modules; these are built like tanks... No wonder they sound so fat and glorious.

There is no doubt in my mind this little company is on to something great.. Allans' additional modules are already becoming best in-class (RingMod with Sub hello?).. the Minimod System has already left its mark and... I am being told AJH will soon be delving into its own territory and sound - something I'm really looking forward to.

Moreover, the world needs to know Allan and Co. doesn't just make the best RA Moog clones, they also make the highest quality products.. I'm sure their future product line will not disappoint.

Basically, if you've been on the fence about these... dont be. Just pull the trigger - you will not be disappointed.

I repeat I have nothing to gain from writing this... I just think it is my duty to the community to let the world know.

Bravo to AJH Synth... Hats off to you Allan, your wonderful wife and team.

I leave you all with the following pics, I'm already saving for my next modules:

It's a pretty funny (but understandable point) I've raised with Ben_Hex that--I agree, AJH is absolutely killer--but they seem largely unknown or unused here in North America, maybe because this is where Moog comes from, even though I'd rather have these than pretty much any Moog instrument. The power of the Moog sway is long lasting, ironically, even though I feel Moog is even more loved in the UK than the US. Also, the euro community here is more experimentally focused I feel, compared to Europe, and they don't seem to be "trendy" in the same way that say, Make Noise or MI is, even though I prefer AJH to almost any company. Meanwhile Moog releases its "revolutionary" subsequent 37 with a whole 6 cv outputs, which no human has ever before seen!!!

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 pm

chaosick wrote:
nikarga wrote:Fellow Muffs: I'd like to take the opportunity to praise Allan over at AJH Synth for his vision, help and the impeccable quality of his modules. I am really lost for words.

Let it be known from the get-go I have absolutely nothing to gain from what I am about to say. Also, I wont go on to describe the sound as it has been discussed extensively in the past. My only comment on this front? The Minimod is hands down the fattest, loudest, sweetest sounding system I have ever come across.

But if I may, let me take a moment to talk about what really REALLY impressed me. I quickly realised behind his humble demeanour lies a geek with immense knowledge and and enormous amount of love for the modules he produces. I was so damn impressed with his attention to detail - from the communication to the packing to the modules themselves. Seriously?

I post the following pics, not to show off as the proud owner of a Minimod system :hyper: :hihi: (ok that too!)

Rather, to let fellow wigglers, paricularly those on the other side of the pond (that may not have seen/used/had access to these modules), know that AJH makes the highest quality products I've seen in Eurorack format - end of. Coming from Moog territory and 1/4" jacks I have been highly apprehensive of the euro format; the size benefit sometimes comes at the expense of build quality or at least feels like parts will fall apart.. Not to worry my friends, not with these modules; these are built like tanks... No wonder they sound so fat and glorious.

There is no doubt in my mind this little company is on to something great.. Allans' additional modules are already becoming best in-class (RingMod with Sub hello?).. the Minimod System has already left its mark and... I am being told AJH will soon be delving into its own territory and sound - something I'm really looking forward to.

Moreover, the world needs to know Allan and Co. doesn't just make the best RA Moog clones, they also make the highest quality products.. I'm sure their future product line will not disappoint.

Basically, if you've been on the fence about these... dont be. Just pull the trigger - you will not be disappointed.

I repeat I have nothing to gain from writing this... I just think it is my duty to the community to let the world know.

It's a pretty funny (but understandable point) I've raised with Ben_Hex that--I agree, AJH is absolutely killer--but they seem largely unknown or unused here in North America, maybe because this is where Moog comes from, even though I'd rather have these than pretty much any Moog instrument. The power of the Moog sway is long lasting, ironically, even though I feel Moog is even more loved in the UK than the US. Also, the euro community here is more experimentally focused I feel, compared to Europe, and they don't seem to be "trendy" in the same way that say, Make Noise or MI is, even though I prefer AJH to almost any company. Meanwhile Moog releases its "revolutionary" subsequent 37 with a whole 6 cv outputs, which no human has ever before seen!!!
I know what you mean. I have always had the best Moogs from all the best times, years etc and by far these modules are my fav( I no longer own my vintage Moogs ;) ). Sound wise(even down to how everything interacts) is just like a Minimoog. Add in the patchability of a Moog Modular and it is hard to beat. There newer Moogs are great but not in the same league. I am working on a demo that will show off the more modern side of having a modular setup via my Minimod system. These modules are so authentic it is very easy to want to go all out retro when you start playing with them but they are capable of so much more besides sounding amazing.

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:52 pm

dmod wrote:
chaosick wrote:

I know what you mean. I have always had the best Moogs from all the best times, years etc and by far these modules are my fav( I no longer own my vintage Moogs ;) ). Sound wise(even down to how everything interacts) is just like a Minimoog. Add in the patchability of a Moog Modular and it is hard to beat. There newer Moogs are great but not in the same league. I am working on a demo that will show off the more modern side of having a modular setup via my Minimod system. These modules are so authentic it is very easy to want to go all out retro when you start playing with them but they are capable of so much more besides sounding amazing.
I use them in every patch I make as crazy as it gets--actually, one of my only criticism of AJH and its official promo and associate video is that they seem to highlight the keyboard centric use/very vanilla use of them..even though it's in euro, which really sells then short. I personally don't care at all about specifically trying to emulate a minimoog (and I'm too young to have any lustful nostalgia for it), don't own any keyboards, they're just great sounding and versatile modules, here's a piece I made a few months back that makes use of an AJH VCO, Ring SM and AQA VCO (which I find the dark cousin counterpart of AJH VCOs):Exoplanets

And the finished version: https://soundcloud.com/chaosnick/exoplanets

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:09 am

chaosick wrote:
dmod wrote:
chaosick wrote:

I use them in every patch I make as crazy as it gets--actually, one of my only criticism of AJH and its official promo and associate video is that they seem to highlight the keyboard centric use/very vanilla use of them..even though it's in euro, which really sells then short. I personally don't care at all about specifically trying to emulate a minimoog (and I'm too young to have any lustful nostalgia for it), don't own any keyboards, they're just great sounding and versatile modules, here's a piece I made a few months back that makes use of an AJH VCO, Ring SM and AQA VCO (which I find the dark cousin counterpart of AJH VCOs):Exoplanets

Well in all fairrness I think the AJH Minimod is first and foremost a very accurate Minimoog clone. that said it being in eurorack just opens the door to best of both worlds scenario! :nuke:

And the finished version:

jesselucas
Common Wiggler

Post by jesselucas » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 am

chaosick wrote: I use them in every patch I make as crazy as it gets--actually, one of my only criticism of AJH and its official promo and associate video is that they seem to highlight the keyboard centric use/very vanilla use of them..even though it's in euro, which really sells then short. I personally don't care at all about specifically trying to emulate a minimoog (and I'm too young to have any lustful nostalgia for it), don't own any keyboards, they're just great sounding and versatile modules, here's a piece I made a few months back that makes use of an AJH VCO, Ring SM and AQA VCO (which I find the dark cousin counterpart of AJH VCOs):Exoplanets

:yay: This is great chaosick!

Here's a 15 minute live recording featuring the MiniMod system and a Verbos system. Figured a synth odyssey was a good way to celebrate the 4th of July. :party:

[video][/video]

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 pm

dmod wrote:
chaosick wrote:
dmod wrote:
chaosick wrote:

Well in all fairrness I think the AJH Minimod is first and foremost a very accurate Minimoog clone. that said it being in eurorack just opens the door to best of both worlds scenario! :nuke:

And the finished version:

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:40 pm

Nice! What is (are?) the osc(s) making the bass drone at the very beginning? And any filters on the sound?
jesselucas wrote:Here's a 15 minute live recording featuring the MiniMod system and a Verbos system. Figured a synth odyssey was a good way to celebrate the 4th of July. :party:

[video][/video]

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:22 pm

jesselucas wrote: Here's a 15 minute live recording featuring the MiniMod system and a Verbos system. Figured a synth odyssey was a good way to celebrate the 4th of July. :party:
super nice setup and jam!

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:27 pm

jesselucas wrote:
chaosick wrote: I use them in every patch I make as crazy as it gets--actually, one of my only criticism of AJH and its official promo and associate video is that they seem to highlight the keyboard centric use/very vanilla use of them..even though it's in euro, which really sells then short. I personally don't care at all about specifically trying to emulate a minimoog (and I'm too young to have any lustful nostalgia for it), don't own any keyboards, they're just great sounding and versatile modules, here's a piece I made a few months back that makes use of an AJH VCO, Ring SM and AQA VCO (which I find the dark cousin counterpart of AJH VCOs):Exoplanets

:yay: This is great chaosick!

Here's a 15 minute live recording featuring the MiniMod system and a Verbos system. Figured a synth odyssey was a good way to celebrate the 4th of July. :party:

[video][/video]

Wow this is great stuff... feel free to share more AJH based patches, will be great to hear how guys incorporate them in their setup and spread the love :nana: :nana: :nana:

Here's a track i made using the AJH VCOs running through Ring SM.. background glitches/bleeps from the Perfourmer MK2. Honorable mention my Gibson Les Paul!!

https://soundcloud.com/nikarga/drive-into-the-night
Live for gear...

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:02 am

chaosick wrote:
dmod wrote:
chaosick wrote:

Absolutely love this...
Live for gear...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”