Qu-bit Pulsar could be fun

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Re: Qu-bit Pulsar could be fun

Post by minatorymodular » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:09 pm

I've got a solid clock source now and I'm still having a few issues. Pulsar takes a bit to start up after a reset trigger; the first few bars are always a bit off timing wise. Sometimes when there's no clock it'll output a trigger randomly for no reason. And sometimes when it's running it will speed up almost as if gravity was enabled (but not towards the low end like gravity).

Is this kind of thing normal for gate sequencers? Is it innate to clock dividers/multipliers? Pulsar is fun and has a lot of functionality, but I'm struggling to get it to stick to the clock.

Lest
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lest » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:29 am

minatorymodular wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:09 pm
I've got a solid clock source now and I'm still having a few issues. Pulsar takes a bit to start up after a reset trigger; the first few bars are always a bit off timing wise.
[...]
Is this kind of thing normal for gate sequencers? Is it innate to clock dividers/multipliers? Pulsar is fun and has a lot of functionality, but I'm struggling to get it to stick to the clock.
I faced the same issue yesterday, using a Digitakt=>MIDI\CV=>Pulsar. The reset is always off of 1/16th however the trigger's location on the Digitakt (1st step or 16th of a 16 steps pattern). Setting the pulsar's pattern a step earlier fixed the issue.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:25 am

Yes my unit was something like 1/16th late when sending it a reset and 2/16ths late when sending it just a clock. It also had a bad habit of adding extra random gates into sequences when externally clocked.

I contacted Qubit, they paid for shipping, and within 2 weeks it came back fixed. Haven't noticed any issues since. Which is good, cause I quite like the weird little thing.

EML
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EML » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:54 am

I have a love/hate relationship with the Pulsar. It can be really amazing once everything is working, but I've lost count how many times I have done a factory reset because 1 of the 4 channels is acting weird after I used the rate/clk knob for something and ended up messing up something else. External clock can also be a problem. If I use the clock output of the Bloom as an external clock source for the Pulsar, timing is all over the place. If I use a gate out of the Bloom, I get occasional hiccups and if I use the clock output of my Beatstep pro as an external clock for the Pulsar, the timing is perfect. It's strange that timing with clocksignals from 2 modules of the same manufacturer is a complete mess, while the clock from another manufacturer works perfect.

Sachizm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sachizm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:50 pm

I have has Pulsar for years and basicly got frustrated and gave up on it. Im really trying to master it now as a drum sequencer. However I keep running into timing issues and the mode seems to change. I swear I set it so every channel should play together but no matter what I do it just goes wierd. After reading the last few posts do you think its a fools errand trying to get on top of this? I am experiencing the issue mentioned where it starts and finishes late when I send clock pulses to it.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:15 pm

I'd contact Qubit, they fixed my issue with external timing. It is hard to wrangle the channels. I haven't got a hang of it yet.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”