Qu-bit Pulsar could be fun

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

7C
Common Wiggler

Post by 7C » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43 am

boboter wrote:I'd be super interested to see/hear how Pulsar behaves when fed with slow clocks. So that the bursts are spread across a few bars.
this! anyone tried already?

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 am

This looks amazing. Hoping it can be as rhythmic as my zularic repetitor but also completely spacey!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:23 am

Modular Podcast did a feature on Chance with Andrew from Qu-Bit (we chat about Pulsar too). Here's the interview/show and patch examples below too.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 am

Are there any more videos of the Pulsar? Trying to find something other than the promo, but that's proving difficult.
My latest release, including vinyl!

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:24 am

digidandy wrote:Are there any more videos of the Pulsar? Trying to find something other than the promo, but that's proving difficult.
Same here. What the hell? I thought there would be some vids by now. I am starting o have my doubts because when a really good module comes out it is usually proceeded by a storm of videos.

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 am

I think qu-bit is working on some tutorial videos.

When I have a chance I'll post some more videos to Instagram. I've posted a few showing beat generation and driving separate sequencers.

So far I think it's a great module - goes far beyond the usual burst generators available. It's a little tricky to remember the different hidden encoder functions but once you get the hang of it, it's fun.

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:16 am

This one helped me ever so slightly, even if it's short. First demo of the gravity button, I think.

grape tony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grape tony » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Yeah really wondering about this / hard to find much.
Interested in its sequencing / Euclidean / clock dividing/ multi abilities ...

modmac
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modmac » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 am

They are offering the choice of silver or black for all modules from their store, so everyone can be happy! I'm keen to get a few black versions of their modules.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:17 am

Had the Pulsar for a week or so - only scratched the surface at this point (came with a bunch of other exciting modules that are being explored at the same time).

So far I have been making rhythms (a newish activity for me). The interface is not executed in my favourite way: multiple button presses, combination button pressing, holding buttons for over a second to access different parameters modes, etc. That said, the manual is comprehensible and I seem to be learning from my semi random groping and am getting more comfortable with it. LED colour changes to indicate mode/channel works well.

Best result has been feeding all four outs into one side of a Confundo Funkitus, other side fed from a Zularic Repetitor. Modulating the Pulsar can achieve quite "wonky" rhythms which can be more or less straightened up by cross fading with the Zularic inputs.

Definitely a module with much potential, a bit of a learning curve but multiple applications should be achievable with a bit of imagination/thought. I am happy with it.

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Sun May 06, 2018 6:56 pm

My Pulsar arrived yesterday, and it seems the Mode encoder push doesn't work. For example, in Sequence mode, I can rotate it and see the cursor moving, but clicking it won't toggle a step.

In Euclidean mode, twisting it will add divisions, but pressing and twisting does not rotate the offset, it just does the same thing as not-pressing.

Is it possible I got it into some weird mode?

I am struggling with the manual, which mentions Global Page etc but not how to get into it or how to tell if you are. I _think_ I am figuring out how to navigate but am coming to the conclusion that my unit is broken.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions (I have reset it - got the white lamp indication - to no avail).

McRINdk
Common Wiggler

Post by McRINdk » Mon May 07, 2018 2:24 am

mantid wrote:My Pulsar arrived yesterday, and it seems the Mode encoder push doesn't work. For example, in Sequence mode, I can rotate it and see the cursor moving, but clicking it won't toggle a step.

In Euclidean mode, twisting it will add divisions, but pressing and twisting does not rotate the offset, it just does the same thing as not-pressing.

Is it possible I got it into some weird mode?

I am struggling with the manual, which mentions Global Page etc but not how to get into it or how to tell if you are. I _think_ I am figuring out how to navigate but am coming to the conclusion that my unit is broken.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions (I have reset it - got the white lamp indication - to no avail).

I love mine. Something about the interface just works and takes me away from a grid mindset. I must admit it works as described now, but when I was randomly exploring in the beginning I did end up down dead ends where I had no idea where I was. I’ll,have a look tonight and see if anything comes to me.

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirrorad » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 am

ianross wrote:Um, does this have a quantized burst output mode for making melodies and what not or do you have to use an external quantizer?
I just read the manual for the Pulsar, and someone please correct me if I've misunderstood, but it seems that this module only sends triggers for rhythms, but not dynamic CV values?

If my understanding is correct, I would love it if Qu-Bit made a Pulsar V2 that outputs both triggers and dynamic CV values (I'm fine with using an external quantizer). I really love the interface of the Pulsar, and the stellar electro-magnetic emissions concept. It's a really sexy design, with a great light display, and fun interactive controls. I would've picked one up by now for those reasons alone, but the absence of CV out would mean that I wouldn't use it as much. I'm really hoping someone will chime in and say I've just misunderstood.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Mirrorad wrote:
ianross wrote:Um, does this have a quantized burst output mode for making melodies and what not or do you have to use an external quantizer?
I just read the manual for the Pulsar, and someone please correct me if I've misunderstood, but it seems that this module only sends triggers for rhythms, but not dynamic CV values?
Yes, thats what it does - pulses. Really nice pulses in a multitude of rhythms and lengths and patterns and stuff with CV inputs. But "just" pulses! :tu:

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirrorad » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm

MarcelP wrote:
Mirrorad wrote:
Yes, thats what it does - pulses. Really nice pulses in a multitude of rhythms and lengths and patterns and stuff with CV inputs. But "just" pulses! :tu:
Thanks for confirming.
Please Qu-Bit, a Pulsar V2 with added random CV outputs would be absolutely irresistible.

mattsb
Common Wiggler

Post by mattsb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am

I'm considering a Pulsar but I can't figure out what is CV able and what isn't, and I can't find any videos that showcase the CV capabilities. I've read the manual a couple of times but find it quite dense especially when I can't actually try things out.

Can someone summarize what is CVable on a per track basis ? (I'm not super interested in CVing Global settings unless there is something super cool you can do that way).

Can someone explain how one triggers an asynchronous burst ? (If I read the manual right an async burst is one that isn't triggered by the clock, but by some external event or a button press?)

Are any of the functions on the main encoder CVable ? (e.g. Euclidean density or offset )
'We're not sending astronauts to the moon and back! We're making funny sounds. Let's keep things in perspective here." Dr E&S

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:53 pm

I am confused by the behaviour on one of the channels of my Pulsar. On channel two, the first light in the burst sequence is coloured blue - while the rest of the pulses are, of course, purple, like they should be on channel two. What does this blue light mean? I have tried to find this in the manual, but no luck ... not sure what to search for.

Here is an image of the module, demonstrating what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nk5zybwhi11o4 ... 5.jpg?dl=0

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Re: Qu-bit Pulsar could be fun

Post by minatorymodular » Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 pm

Does anyone know how to feed Pulsar a reset signal? I'd think the Absorb or Burst input but I can't test it yet

Scott
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott » Tue May 26, 2020 11:17 am

Mantid: I had the same or very similar issue when I first got mine. I'll need to look at it when I get home tonight. It was a very simple issue — the toggle of a step.

If I remember correctly on the global issue, hold the channel button a second or two and you'll go in (or out) of global

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Tue May 26, 2020 4:41 pm

I also have an issue where my module won't recalculate Euclidian pulses when I rotate it up 1 and down 1 or press the encoder. I always get the same sequence.

Unfortunately I get the impression that Qubit move on quickly from finished modules, and I don't remember seeing a USB port on the Pulsar for updates.

Chrisfromwork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrisfromwork » Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 pm

I found it really confusing to understand whether the module was clocked by an external clock vs the internal clock. It seems like you have to press the channel button + the clock encoder to do this. There's nothing shown on the module that this has happened. The sequencer just seems to stop working if no external clock is provided when external clock is enabled.

I also have seen that it drops steps when using an external clock with a 1x multiplier, which is unsettling. This causes hiccups in the sequence which makes it feel unusable as a sequencer based on and external clock.

I've been trying to get a response from qu-bit on whether theres a fix for these problems. At this point I wouldn't suggest buying this module for sequencing unless you plan to use its internal clock to clock other modules. I haven't tested this approach and don't plan to.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Tue May 26, 2020 6:51 pm

I thought the hiccups I noticed where because I was using a single cycle waveform from my DAW as a clock source out of an audio output. I've ordered an external clock, and I'll see if I have a similar issue.

For me the issue with its internal clock is that it has no reference to a tempo. Not tap tempo option either. Which makes it hard to work with in a recording context.

I hope these issues can be resolved. I really like the concept of Pulsar and I've enjoyed using it. But it also feels like a beta version sometimes.

mattsb
Common Wiggler

Post by mattsb » Tue May 26, 2020 8:07 pm

minatorymodular wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 pm
Does anyone know how to feed Pulsar a reset signal? I'd think the Absorb or Burst input but I can't test it yet

A trigger or gate into the Absorb CV input will do it.
Chrisfromwork wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 pm
I found it really confusing to understand whether the module was clocked by an external clock vs the internal clock. It seems like you have to press the channel button + the clock encoder to do this. There's nothing shown on the module that this has happened. The sequencer just seems to stop working if no external clock is provided when external clock is enabled.

I also have seen that it drops steps when using an external clock with a 1x multiplier, which is unsettling. This causes hiccups in the sequence which makes it feel unusable as a sequencer based on and external clock.
I agree that shortcut is weird. It makes sense if you remember that pressing the clock encoder attaches/detaches a given channel to the clock. Therefore when holding that down (which means you're doing something globally) you must be attaching/detaching the global clock to something. Yes it would be great if there was a light or something that told us whether it was being internally clocked or not, but this isn't the only module that acts like this. Grids does IIRC, as does Tempi. But the clock (internal or external) is displayed by the clock led so if it's not blinking and you have a clock plugged in, you must have a really slow internal clock going. If it's not blinking at the expected rate, ditto.

I externally clock mine all the time, either from Tempi or a gate from FH-2, and I've never seen any glitchiness on that front.

I love the basic UI for Pulsar with the circle, and the big central knob to do XoX programming, or change the number of steps for euclidean or random, and press and turn to rotate the sequence. The clock multiplier / divider UI is awesome too. Being able to CV length and offset is cool too, and you can do reset with a trigger.

But there are things that I wish you could do but can't. You can't change the number of steps in a euclidean sequence via CV. You can't generate a new random sequence with a trigger. You can't trigger two bursts independently. I find the soft attenuverter thing really weird although I've only thought about using it with length and offset, not tried it.

If I had been designing it I would have focused on building a really excellent Trigger sequencer rather than trying to do that AND a burst generator. IMO that dual personality just overloads the whole UI. But I haven't seen anything else that comes close to it (although I haven't looked too closely at the Euclidean Circles v2) so I'm sticking with it.
'We're not sending astronauts to the moon and back! We're making funny sounds. Let's keep things in perspective here." Dr E&S

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Tue May 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks for confirming that. Hopefully a dedicated clock source will fix my issue with clocking.

I'm not a fan of the binary mode, I think it should have been replaced with something more interesting. Individual trigger inputs would have been awesome.

I think if there's a Pulsar V2 it'll be a killer app module. But I did get Pulsar knowing it was a bit finicky. I agree there's nothing I could find that clicked with me the same.

Chrisfromwork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chrisfromwork » Wed May 27, 2020 7:29 pm

For what it's worth I've been doing more testing and it seems like the original external clock source I was using may have been the culprit. I believe I spoke too soon writing off this pulsar and have been having much better results after ensuring the clock trigger I was sending was scaled correctly. Sorry for any misinformation I shared on this thread :P

Now that things are working as expected, I think I'd provide the following critique:

I am a big fan of the interface. I have an ornaments and crime as well and had been using the euclidean sequencer with the hemisphere firmware before. The pulsar feels way easier to perform with once you understand some of the odd setup steps (channel + clock encoder to toggle to internal vs external clock, pressing the length encoder to get a continuous sequence, etc)

I also wish like mattsb that there was CV control for the number of steps, but this definitely isn't a deal breaker.

All in all I am excited to keep using this module. Ive been having a great time using it to generate multiple envelopes for a verbos harmonic oscillator

Return to “Eurorack Modules”