Grayscale Permutation: expanded Turing Machine + Voltages

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Another vote for the big one, the 18hp version + Allele is still slimmer than a fully expanded TM :party:

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 pm

+1 for 18HP.

Looks to be a fantastic module :yay:

Vanderfuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vanderfuzz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:20 pm

I'd use the 18hp for sure. Looks amazing.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:33 pm

another for 18

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.
www.WillRage.org

dubstephead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dubstephead » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Looks awesome, definitely interested.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Another vote for 18hp.

Feature set looks fantastic. I'm very enthusiastic towards future developments into this project :)

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm

I think I would have the 18hp version, but I also think that you will sell a lot more if you go down the 12hp plus expander path. 18hp will knock out a lot of potential buyers.

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:43 am

Cool! 18 HP would be my preference

didahdrieghe
Common Wiggler

Post by didahdrieghe » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:54 am

Is this being released as open source as well? Sold as pcb/panels?

cocco88
Common Wiggler

Post by cocco88 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:40 am

same here on the 18hp
if DIY and low cost like the original turing machine i'll take one
UI/UX/Sound designer

eurorack + TenoriOn + Omnichord + giant church organ + old rusty piano

current
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/361810

selling / trading
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/389166

tbecker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tbecker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 am

Looks very fun. I would be interested most in the 12hp. From the videos it seems you can clock this pretty fast, jow high have you gone?

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:08 am

This looks pretty cool. If DIY, would you be able to include MOTM power footprint and have it work on +- 15...
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:31 am

I think if the 18hp version is "more complete" then you should go ahead w the 18hp module. yeah, I'd love everything I have to be 6hp slimmer too.

boundsound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by boundsound » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 am

18hp

I was almost going to buy a TM mk2 to pair with a mk1.. :yay:

Acquadar
Common Wiggler

Post by Acquadar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 am

ac
Common Wiggler

Post by ac » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Looks good! I'd prefer the 12hp.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks everyone, this project has been a long time in the making and it's great to see so many supportive comments.

I'm a little surprised that the 18hp version seems to be the "winner" thus far, my intuition was that the smaller one would be more popular. However I prefer the larger one as well, being able to shift the start point of a sequence back in forth in relation to the master clock is really useful. Might have to do both versions after all.

Gotta run for now, will respond in detail to individual questions later.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:42 pm

This looks exciting!

I like both, but I don't think the extra pulse outputs of the larger version quite justify the extra HPs.

I'd rather see an 18HP version, with a 8 pulse outputs, and some extra functions packed into the extra space.

Suggested extra features for the bigger version:
  • Different shift modes, ie forward/backwards/random

Ability to reset pattern

Option to have sequence evolve (as it existing Turing Machine), or randomise first bit of pattern every step, without feeding back randomised bits, so you can have random variations on a looping pattern, without losing the pattern

Memories to store and switch between stored bit sequences
These features would probably only be possible if you used a MCU, instead of replicating the existing TM analogue circuitry. I'd personally have no problem at all with this.

a|x

spudboyblues
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spudboyblues » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 am

I guess I'm in the minority on the 12hp +/- expander. Would really love the low price and / or DIY option of the original like most folks on here as well.

SlyFrank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SlyFrank » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Another vote for 18 HP. I love my two TM MK2s, one of them with expanders, but nevertheless this obviously caught my eye...

ludu357
Common Wiggler

Post by ludu357 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Looks great!
+1 for the 12hp, small system needs.

is the black panel version come with red LED?

[edit: vote]

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:28 am

My vote goes to the 12hp. I've got a small system and love the Turing Machine, really excited about this idea. If the 18hp ends up as the production choice so be it I might still use the expander to replace the Voltages expander. For the footprint I think the 12hp gives a great amount of functionality, great design too (though I will miss combined gates like some of the triggers on Pulses give you)

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:59 pm

OK, Q&A time:
Abyssinianloop wrote:Can they recall saved sequences after power cycle?
EDIT: this feature has been added for the final release.
basicbasic wrote:Will there be a DIY version or just pre-built?
The DIY version will be similar to the Algorhythm DIY kit which includes a pre-assembled/pre-tested main PCB with all the surface-mount components along with a bare front PCB and the front panel components. The main board for this one is very dense and use 0402 size SMD components, not the easiest DIY build.

Allele will probably be a full kit with bare PCBs, the BOM is much more simple and there's room to use larger components.
tarmoog wrote:One "gates" expander input only or more?
The main module has one Gates expander output, Allele has one expander input. This matches the original TM. The second expander header on the TM was for Pulses, which isn't needed since Pulses is effectively built into the main module.
jwm wrote:i suppose all this will depend on pricing, but for me, i think i'd prefer the 12hp one, since invariably i would have to pair it with a quantizer.
Yeah, a quantizer is pretty useful with this one. All the short clips in the "supercut" video in the first post used Braids as an oscillator, which has a quantizer built in, so that's a good pairing.
windspirit wrote:Could you maybeale the 12 hp version and ass the extra features to another 4hp expander? I know that would make a second expansion port but this way everyone gets what they want.
Considered doing that but the main board is pretty packed and the 12hp board will be even more dense. Having the "grid" of pulses work one way with the expander, and another way without, was also a bit tricky. Having an expander would also increase the overall cost compared to just doing an 18hp version.
didahdrieghe wrote:Is this being released as open source as well? Sold as pcb/panels?
Yes, the PCB files will also be released as open source, that's part of the Creative Commons license. Not planning to sell bare PCBs or panels however.
tbecker wrote:From the videos it seems you can clock this pretty fast, how high have you gone?
Not sure what the maximum frequency would be but it's all analog just like the TM. In those faster clips from the video it's getting clocked by the Dixie II in oscillator mode (at which point it becomes a noisy oscillator itself).
Eric the Red wrote:If DIY, would you be able to include MOTM power footprint and have it work on +- 15...
Not doing a dual footprint, but you can always make a custom power cable. Some people have done 5U builds of the TM, I believe that it works on +/-15V out of the box, but please verify.
toneburst wrote:These features would probably only be possible if you used a MCU, instead of replicating the existing TM analogue circuitry.
Yeah, that sounds like a much different module than this one! Also I don't think you could fit the UI for controlling presets and all those features into just 4hp. Good ideas though.
ludu357 wrote:is the black panel version come with red LED?
That's the plan, although if someone wanted a gray panel with red LEDs or black panel with white LEDs we could work it out.
khyber wrote:I will miss combined gates like some of the triggers on Pulses give you
Yes, I realize that some will miss the OR functions but providing more of the individual bit outputs gives you more options than the fixed choice of 1/2/4/7 on the original.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Based on comments here and elsewhere, I think doing both versions is the way to go.
Last edited by sempervirent on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:17 pm

sempervirent wrote:
khyber wrote:I will miss combined gates like some of the triggers on Pulses give you
Yes, I realize that some will miss the OR functions but providing more of the individual bit outputs gives you more options than the fixed choice of 1/2/4/7 on the original.
ohhh hm i didn't even think about this...one of my fav thing to do with the pulses mk2 is to ping the smr and sometimes have a couple bands strike at once...

c0nsumer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0nsumer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 pm

jwm wrote:
sempervirent wrote:
ohhh hm i didn't even think about this...one of my fav thing to do with the pulses mk2 is to ping the smr and sometimes have a couple bands strike at once...
Should be plenty easy to do this with an external logic module for the times when you want it. I personally use an A-166 specifically for this kind of thing. Way more flexible than what's built into Pulses, too.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”