2hp Comb

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

twohp
Learning to Wiggle

2hp Comb

Post by twohp » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 am

Comb is an IIR peaking comb filter with control over cutoff frequency, resonance that can be driven into self oscillation, and a dampening filter in the feedback path.

Pre-Order now!! Ships next Friday, July 28th.
[video][/video]

www.twohp.com/modules/comb

:banana:

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am

Whoaaaaaaa...

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Nice!

Does that freq input track 1V/octave?
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:05 pm

You could put together a really neat little processing rig with these 2HP modules now, with Freez, delay, verb and this.... Maybe throwing Best into the mix for some additional rhythmic madness applied to your source material.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Narsty! Sounds great for old school drums

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 pm

starthief wrote:Does that freq input track 1V/octave?

I'm wondering this myself. It's a trick I use with the Korg Radias, using a comb filter to waveshape a filtered oscillator into flute, vocal and brass sounds. I've been looking to do this in the modular world.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Nice! Really nice. I get excited about these 2HP gems every single time, even if it's not something I'm going to use.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Yep. Amazing to have sitting around even for people with much bigger systems, just for those times where you want to put a little portable system together and squeeze as much in as possible.

Just being able to add an extra envelope in that last 2 HP or whatever

quadrupole
Common Wiggler

Post by quadrupole » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Ok, I'll admit, I was only mildly interested when I came in here. Then I watched the video. Why? Why did I watch the video!? So many ways to Destroy audio in 2HP! We'll, at least I only have to squeeze 2HP out of my current plans! :sb:

mecanikill
Electrical Demon

Post by mecanikill » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 am

Very nice I plan I picking one up the day it comes out.

twohp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by twohp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Here's the Comb tracking v/oct on a Karplus-Strong patch!

[video][/video]

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:48 pm

something about comb filters just makes me... uneasy... :sadbanana: :hihi:

not sure what it is.. almost like the aural equivalent of the haptodysphoric sensation of squeezing cotton..

will have to pick one up and get over this weird aversion!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:02 pm

twohp wrote:Here's the Comb tracking v/oct on a Karplus-Strong patch!
That's the stuff :yay:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm

So, did anyone else pick one up? Have any insights about patching it?

I'm still in an experimenting phase with mine right now. For Karplus-Strong I find I like clocked digital noise, or noise with a really resonant bandpass, or otherwise tuned audio rather than noise to trigger it. Modulating Damp with an envelope can help get it under control at lower frequencies, while at higher frequencies it seems to decay very quickly. (Maybe external feedback under VCA control would help.)

I thought it might be great in feedback with Rings, but It's not much different than patching Rings directly into itself and seems to be more interesting at the end of the chain instead.

Any ideas for patching it that are less Karplus-Strong-ish? Am I missing anything really essential to unlock its potential, or is it going to remain mostly kind of a neat gimmick?

ZatsuOn
Common Wiggler

Post by ZatsuOn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 pm

dooj88 wrote:something about comb filters just makes me... uneasy... :sadbanana: :hihi:

not sure what it is.. almost like the aural equivalent of the haptodysphoric sensation of squeezing cotton..

Sorry to hijack, but whoa, "haptodysphoric" is a seriously bad-ass word. So, what is the word for sounds that convey a texture in an unpleasant manner, like the sound of cutting cardboard with a dull knife, or fingernails on a chalkboard? Would that be, "Audio-induced haptodysphoria" or is there something better?

Luckily, I have no such sensation with comb filters and this looks like a great little unit!

shoottofill
Common Wiggler

Post by shoottofill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm

starthief wrote:So, did anyone else pick one up? Have any insights about patching it?

I'm still in an experimenting phase with mine right now. For Karplus-Strong I find I like clocked digital noise, or noise with a really resonant bandpass, or otherwise tuned audio rather than noise to trigger it. Modulating Damp with an envelope can help get it under control at lower frequencies, while at higher frequencies it seems to decay very quickly. (Maybe external feedback under VCA control would help.)

I thought it might be great in feedback with Rings, but It's not much different than patching Rings directly into itself and seems to be more interesting at the end of the chain instead.

Any ideas for patching it that are less Karplus-Strong-ish? Am I missing anything really essential to unlock its potential, or is it going to remain mostly kind of a neat gimmick?
I wish they would put out a manual for this already. I'm still fairly new to Eurorack and I'm a little lost on this module (which is sometimes a good thing)

Can you give a little more explanation on how you set patched the karplus strong? I've tried noise and an oscillator and it's mixed results either way.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 pm

I've found it works best at low Freq settings.

Noise or square/other waveforms with high harmonic content -> VCA with quick decay -> input. Res pretty high, maybe max (but gating/enveloping it a bit more can help). Damp can be envelope controlled, or simply left pretty high. You shouldn't need a VCA after Comb.

There's a fair amount of slew on the frequency, and it rings out much better at lower frequencies than higher ones.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 am

dooj88 wrote:something about comb filters just makes me... uneasy... :sadbanana: :hihi:

Haha, I like your attitude! :yay:

I'm with you though, or shall I say, I've never liked Karplus Strong all that much, just doesn't sound any good to me. But comb filters are interesting for other reasons! The comb filter in the Octatrack is really cool.

shoottofill
Common Wiggler

Post by shoottofill » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 pm

starthief wrote:I've found it works best at low Freq settings.

Noise or square/other waveforms with high harmonic content -> VCA with quick decay -> input. Res pretty high, maybe max (but gating/enveloping it a bit more can help). Damp can be envelope controlled, or simply left pretty high. You shouldn't need a VCA after Comb.

There's a fair amount of slew on the frequency, and it rings out much better at lower frequencies than higher ones.
Hey that did it. I don't even want to admit how I was patching it...

mecanikill
Electrical Demon

Post by mecanikill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 am

Is there any way to turn the resonance up on this so it will self oscillate mine seems very tame compared to rings. :hmm:

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

mecanikill wrote:Is there any way to turn the resonance up on this so it will self oscillate mine seems very tame compared to rings. :hmm:
Did you try applying feedback externally? (output>attenuator>back into input)

mecanikill
Electrical Demon

Post by mecanikill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Bob Borries wrote:
mecanikill wrote:Is there any way to turn the resonance up on this so it will self oscillate mine seems very tame compared to rings. :hmm:
Did you try applying feedback externally? (output>attenuator>back into input)
Yes it does a little but I was hoping for a trimmer. Mine just seems very tame as opposed to others I have used.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Just got these little guys in stock if anyone's after one? :tu:

Kohlhofer
Learning to Wiggle

So helpful!

Post by Kohlhofer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 am

I got this the other day and noticed that I had no good notion of how a comb filter actually works! This thread helped me enoumously after the initial experience with the module was meh.

Now I love it + learned a ton about what it actually does, too.

Sidenote: I think the 2hp manuals could be improved in general. Examples, functionality, knob behavior with CV (offset, scale?), etc..

Regardless: great module!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Sold mine. My first bad buy since I got into Eurorack. Short delay ain’t my thing, I guess. :despair:
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

Return to “Eurorack Modules”