Five module suggestions

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

stoptacoman
Learning to Wiggle

Five module suggestions

Post by stoptacoman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 am

Hey everyone!

I'm inspired to right this post after having read this post on putting together a starter rack for under £1000.

Instead of putting together a starter rack for £1000 (or $1634.53 CAD in my case) what would you recommend for a starter rack if budget wasn't a concern? To make it interesting maybe you could limit the number of modules to five and also suggest a case to start with?

Richie Witch
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 am

What's the intent of the five modules? Mono synth? FX rack? Sampler? With so few modules, I think your concept has to have a very specific focus to be successful.
Every new row of Eurorack is going to be my last.

stoptacoman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stoptacoman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 am

That's a great point, Richie Witch. For my purposes I would want a mono synth that will allow me to create some interesting rhythms and timbres.

Eventually I would like to expand into drum modules, but for now I will say five modules to create a starter eurorack mono synth from which I can create interesting rhythmic passages and timbres.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 am

1 x Euclidean Circles
3 x Basimilus Iteritas Alter
1 x Just Friends (primarily for modulation duties)

(and a fistful of TipTop stackables)

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 am

No budget?

Cwejman, especially filters, all great.

Schippmann, either his VCO or Filters.

MacBeth, anything of Ken's stuff is awesome.

For a case; The Roland or get Ross Lamond to make you one.

That should break your wallet.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 am

Shapeshifter
Double Andore
Batumi
Polaris
Varigate 8+.

That would be like a west/east-coast 2 osc monosynth with ruthless sequencing and modulation options. Plus 8 trigger outs for when you expand into drums.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

porphyrion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by porphyrion » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:11 pm

... or a Koma Field Kit and some solenoids/contact mics might be a good place to start- very open-ended, won't break the bank, has a cv-able radio built-in, 4-channel-mixer allowing interaction with non-euro-gear, some basic filtering, a simple lfo, you can always re-sell it (especially when you're smart and bought it secondhand anyway). Check Hainbach's channel. With something like a Roland Demora you could start without a case (you do need a few sessions setting it up right with a pc or app, but after that it's standalone if you want it too). I like open-ended modules as you can figure out what you want the most and how you want to use them. Add an MN 0-Coast and you have something. Do you have a MicroBrute or something to play keys + CV? Not a must by any means, ...

A full-blown Eurorack costs a sh*tload of money. there's no getting around this. Forget a $1000, think more like $2500 *at least* unless you've got golden hands and DIY next to everything-

Second the Double Andore II, very cool envelopes + VCA's. Just Friends is also rapidly gaining classic-status. o_C delivers a lot. Most of the modules mentioned in this thread will grow with you- no stinkers there! Basimilus is the bees-knees (but starting with three might still be overkill), maybe swap one for the upcoming Plonk and one for a Neuron? Perhaps check the Varigate+Voltage Block demos while you're at it. If you don't like those, you can look elsewhere.

Doepfer and Ladik modules are generally good value too, even overseas. Good luck!

cocco88
Common Wiggler

Post by cocco88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm

mannequins family + mengqi voltage memory
UI/UX/Sound designer

eurorack + TenoriOn + Omnichord + giant church organ + old rusty piano

current
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/361810

selling / trading
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/389166

Villarceau
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Villarceau » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:07 pm

1 Pamelas workout or Octocontroller
2 Control Forge
3 Rings
4 Batumi or Akemie's Taiko
5 Rainmaker or Clouds or that TipTop DSP module or if FX will be external, the Morpheus Filter

and some extra attenuation and mixing utilities, budget is not an issue so...

stoptacoman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stoptacoman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you guys so very much! There's a lot of food for thought here.
porphyrion wrote:... or a Koma Field Kit and some solenoids/contact mics might be a good place to start- very open-ended, won't break the bank, has a cv-able radio built-in, 4-channel-mixer allowing interaction with non-euro-gear, some basic filtering, a simple lfo, you can always re-sell it (especially when you're smart and bought it secondhand anyway). Check Hainbach's channel. With something like a Roland Demora you could start without a case (you do need a few sessions setting it up right with a pc or app, but after that it's standalone if you want it too). I like open-ended modules as you can figure out what you want the most and how you want to use them. Add an MN 0-Coast and you have something. Do you have a MicroBrute or something to play keys + CV? Not a must by any means, ...

A full-blown Eurorack costs a sh*tload of money. there's no getting around this. Forget a $1000, think more like $2500 *at least* unless you've got golden hands and DIY next to everything-

Second the Double Andore II, very cool envelopes + VCA's. Just Friends is also rapidly gaining classic-status. o_C delivers a lot. Most of the modules mentioned in this thread will grow with you- no stinkers there! Basimilus is the bees-knees (but starting with three might still be overkill), maybe swap one for the upcoming Plonk and one for a Neuron? Perhaps check the Varigate+Voltage Block demos while you're at it. If you don't like those, you can look elsewhere.

Doepfer and Ladik modules are generally good value too, even overseas. Good luck!
Thanks for the very helpful reply! The Koma Field Kit looks and sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I have a Microbrute and the original Beatstep, so I do have access to some CV options already.

I spent some time reviewing some of the modules that everyone was kind enough to suggest and so far I'm very impressed with the Varigate and Voltage block and the interesting sequences you can coax out. The Double Andore also looks like I good option for me since it also appears to offer up two VCAs in addition to everything else it can do. The Mannequins modules all sound like they would be up my alley.

Contrary to what my original post says I do actually have a budget and it is around what porphyrion mentioned: somewhere around $2500-$3000, but don't let that stop anyone else that wants to contribute to this thread!

I'm putting together some racks on modular grid with different options and I'll post those up in the next day or so.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

^Watch the James Cigler video on the Double Andore; very helpful. Like he says, its less 2 envelopes with extra VCAs and more like 2 of the most modulatable VCAs in existence with a couple of envelopes added on for good luck. A highly modulatable VCA is actually quite a rare thing (you need to use external cv mixers). Most have just one CV input. The DA would allow you to do a lot with only a small handful of modules (as long as theyre the right ones!).

The Shapeshifter is similar bang for buck but may not be what you're looking for in a first dive into modular. Its pretty deep, with the odd menu. You kind of need to know what goes on with things like complex oscs and combining two waves with amplitude, frequency or phase modulation in different ways. But again, it would open a lifetime of sonic exploration with only the minimum of support modules.

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

stoptacoman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stoptacoman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:19 am

Raven_Martin wrote:^Watch the James Cigler video on the Double Andore; very helpful. Like he says, its less 2 envelopes with extra VCAs and more like 2 of the most modulatable VCAs in existence with a couple of envelopes added on for good luck. A highly modulatable VCA is actually quite a rare thing (you need to use external cv mixers). Most have just one CV input. The DA would allow you to do a lot with only a small handful of modules (as long as theyre the right ones!).

The Shapeshifter is similar bang for buck but may not be what you're looking for in a first dive into modular. Its pretty deep, with the odd menu. You kind of need to know what goes on with things like complex oscs and combining two waves with amplitude, frequency or phase modulation in different ways. But again, it would open a lifetime of sonic exploration with only the minimum of support modules.
I watched James' video on the DA and I am definitely sold on it. I was considering the Maths or Just Friends for modulation duties, etc. and then throwing in a VCA, but I think the DA will be much better for starting out with just a few modules.

From watching some videos on the Shapeshifter I find it a bit intimidating to start with. I do still think that I'd like to get some sort of digital oscillator, though not necessarily wavetable-based. What do you think of the tELHARMONIC?

guestt

Post by guestt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:34 am

If you have external USB controllers a FieldKit, an ER-301 and Endorphin.es Shuttle Control will give you years of fun exploration!

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 am

stoptacoman wrote:
Raven_Martin wrote:^Watch the James Cigler video on the Double Andore; very helpful. Like he says, its less 2 envelopes with extra VCAs and more like 2 of the most modulatable VCAs in existence with a couple of envelopes added on for good luck. A highly modulatable VCA is actually quite a rare thing (you need to use external cv mixers). Most have just one CV input. The DA would allow you to do a lot with only a small handful of modules (as long as theyre the right ones!).

I watched James' video on the DA and I am definitely sold on it. I was considering the Maths or Just Friends for modulation duties, etc. and then throwing in a VCA, but I think the DA will be much better for starting out with just a few modules.

From watching some videos on the Shapeshifter I find it a bit intimidating to start with. I do still think that I'd like to get some sort of digital oscillator, though not necessarily wavetable-based. What do you think of the tELHARMONIC?
tElharmonic is a funny one; I actually traded mine with Baddcr who has also just suggested an interesting combination of modules!

It has a very specific sound, which is like some sort of vintage sci-fi church organ if that makes sense. Quite lovely actually but it's very hard to coax it into other territory. Not impossible, but sufficiently difficult that I ditched it.

The voltage control over chord structure and progression however, I do think is very clever. But again, to get the most out of it you really need to feed it two or three precise voltage sequences (ie from 2 or 3 sequencer outputs simultaneously), which you probably won't have access to for some time.

I know you said not wavetable based but I've recently bought the Erica black wavetable osc and that thing sounds seriously ALIVE. It's not a deep module at all (so wouldn't necessarily open the most doors in a small rack), but my god it's the ballsiest digital osc I've probably ever heard.

guestt

Post by guestt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:04 am

Hehe I traded the tElharmonic on a few months later for very similar reasons ;)

I find the ER-301 with a polyphonic single cycle waveform sampler patch to build up chords way more fun and flexible - yes it takes effort - but the rewards are plentiful!

Interesting point about the Erica Raven_Martin - ballsier than a Hertz Donut of Piston Honda? If you have played with those at all?

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:13 am

I've owned a Mkii but not the Mki which I know a lot of people prefer. I'd say the piston is noisier and harsher in the top end, which is what a lot of people want I know. But the Erica has a much better bass response,
Even without using the sub out. If you do mix in the sub it's just lights-out heavy to be honest.

The guys at Erica are some smart lads; they played some phase mod trickery on the sub out which means it actually beats against the main out, sounding like two separate slightly detuned oscs. Sweeping the wavetable whilst listening to both mixed outputs is pure bliss (and ballsy af).

Watch their demo of it and you'll hear what I'm talkin bout. I've been through many wavetable modules (sheep, piston, e350, shapeshifter and now black) and apart from the shapeshifter (which wins for other reasons anyway, nothing to do with wavetable), the Black trounces the others easily for me (much better for pure wavetable stuff than shapeshifter too, which I actually think struggles in this department).

MrTurboparrot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrTurboparrot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:19 am

"You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven." Jimi Hendrix

guestt

Post by guestt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks Raven_Martin

Pretty happy with the brutal nature of the HD (and how it can totally transform and be super sweet too) but I'll check out the black!!! :)

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:06 am

Just realised you were asking about both the HD and PH.....My reply is in reference to a PH mkii....I've never used a HD, though I know they can squeal like chuff!

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Plop this in a Make Noise powered skiff (or similar) and you would have a lot to keep you busy for a long time...

Siete
Common Wiggler

Post by Siete » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:52 pm

hermbot wrote:Plop this in a Make Noise powered skiff (or similar) and you would have a lot to keep you busy for a long time...

Solid. Swap tides for a sequencer and were set

Return to “Eurorack Modules”