Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:02 pm

AnalogAssailant wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:I've had the Nebulae since May 2018 and never had a problem with it until yesterday.

When I turn on my case the module seems to boot just fine but after about 10 seconds all the 9 lights blink intermittently all in white the first time and the second time the 4 lights for Speed and Pitch turn aqua. This cycle occurs every 5 seconds and continues until I turn off my case.

I didn't add or change modules in my case recently. Did this already happen to anybody? Some one knows what can cause this?

is the USB stick plugged in while this is happening?
Yes it is. And I tried it without plugging it in and the same thing happens.

AnalogAssailant
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogAssailant » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:01 pm

The other thing i would suggest trying is switch the power from 5v to 12V (or vice versa depending on how it is set now) on the back of the module.

Otherwise i would reach out to qu-bit

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Gyroscope wrote:
AnalogAssailant wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:I've had the Nebulae since May 2018 and never had a problem with it until yesterday.

When I turn on my case the module seems to boot just fine but after about 10 seconds all the 9 lights blink intermittently all in white the first time and the second time the 4 lights for Speed and Pitch turn aqua. This cycle occurs every 5 seconds and continues until I turn off my case.

I didn't add or change modules in my case recently. Did this already happen to anybody? Some one knows what can cause this?

Can’t tell which version of the firmware you’re using, or which instrument was running when it was working correctly. (These things might make a difference.)

I’d recommend reinstalling the firmware. Depending on the underlying issue, it might get you back up and running.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:02 pm

danishchairs wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:
AnalogAssailant wrote:

Can’t tell which version of the firmware you’re using, or which instrument was running when it was working correctly. (These things might make a difference.)

I’d recommend reinstalling the firmware. Depending on the underlying issue, it might get you back up and running.
I have the most recent firmware and only use the granular sampler. I'll try reinstalling the firmware tonight. Thanks!

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:03 pm

AnalogAssailant wrote:
The other thing i would suggest trying is switch the power from 5v to 12V (or vice versa depending on how it is set now) on the back of the module.

Yeah I tried switching power to no avail. I wrote to Qu-Bit but still haven't heard back. Thanks!

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:29 am

Greetings. I have an idea for building on the phase vocoder part of the instrument, but no CSound skills to realize it.

I know this is a big ask, but is anyone with CSound skills on this thread up for trying a couple modifications to the phase vocoder?

Basically, the idea would be to add some resolution options, morph time, smoothing for the phase vocoder with some of the unused knobs, so you could do various kinds of stretching and freezing. Most of the code seems to be already there and not all of the knobs do anything in the phase vocoder. if space is an issue, we could leave out the granulation since this would be an alternative instrument.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:06 pm

This happens to mine every now and then as well. I put the nebulae in a different case the other day, removed the usb stick, and haven't seen it since.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:57 am

Daisuk wrote:

This happens to mine every now and then as well. I put the nebulae in a different case the other day, removed the usb stick, and haven't seen it since.
Ok thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one and that it's more of an annoyance than a problem. I reinstalled the firmware like danishchairs had suggested above and everything is back to normal.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:22 pm

I made a little sample pack of various ethnic instruments and singing and what have you to use with the Nebulae 2. Basically just sampled various instruments from Kontakt 6's Best Service Ethno World. All played in the pentatonic major scale.

Files is here for anyone interested:

http://www.marsmelons.com/muffs/ethnopenta.zip

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks, looking forwards to checking it out!

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:14 am

Daisuk wrote:I made a little sample pack of various ethnic instruments and singing and what have you to use with the Nebulae 2. Basically just sampled various instruments from Kontakt 6's Best Service Ethno World. All played in the pentatonic major scale.

Files is here for anyone interested:

http://www.marsmelons.com/muffs/ethnopenta.zip
Will play them when I get home! Thank you neighbor!

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:37 am

Any tips for using as a kind of looper (which then I can mangle :) )
In particular syncing recording to other things going on with a sequencer.
( I’m also playing a keyboard, so it’s has to record kind of hands free)

Currently my strategy is to connect the sequencer with a gate on step one , which goes to reset.
Then the same gate is plugged temporarily into record for one ‘recording length’ (eg 4 bars) , kind of like preparing a length of tape of 4 bars long.

as record is a toggle ,first time around arms, seconds stops it ,so then remove the cable to record.

I use circular recording mode so can i can start wherever I want.

Works reasonably well...
The only thing is I tend to get clicks at the loop point ,but I think that’s a bit poor technique to on my part, need a tiny bit of silence is need at start/end.
(Tricky as ive been recording pads)

Anybody else doing something similar? Any tips etc?

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:05 am

Gyroscope wrote:
AnalogAssailant wrote:

Yeah I tried switching power to no avail. I wrote to Qu-Bit but still haven't heard back. Thanks!
Mine is acting up. I can't figure out how to switch it to 5V.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 am

scottmoon wrote: Mine is acting up. I can't figure out how to switch it to 5V.
See discussion and picture on pg. 13 of this thread.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:12 am

scottmoon wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:
AnalogAssailant wrote:

Mine is acting up. I can't figure out how to switch it to 5V.
It took time for me to find the switch but it's fairly obvious once you know where it is :hihi:

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Arghh...I can't get my Nebulae2 working again. I screwed something up. After reading through this long thread and trying different combinations of things, I think I’ve only made it worse. At this point, I’m getting no sound, all the LEDs are white, and all the switches are illuminated except reset. I've tried 12V, I tried it on 5V.

I’m not sure what files should be on the USB card and what files need to be on the USB stick. Are there disk images or zipped files somewhere with the content of both from the factory install? The zip installers don't seem to work.

I've written Andrew and he replied but maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I'm waiting to hear again (I'm sure he's a busy guy) and maybe it's a hardware issue. But hopefully just a (stupid) user issue.

I would love to hear from anyone that might be able to get me back up and running. Thanks

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:50 pm

the firmware is "in" a Zip file, but you do NOT unzip this !

you put "the zip file as is" on the root directory of the USB stick and follow the instructions from the manual: (page 30 of 31)

( worth to note: some poeple have problems with USB sticks, for example the small white one that came with early Nebulae2s

instructions from the manual:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... Manual.pdf
Firmware Update

Welcome to the guide on updating the firmware for your Qu-Bit Nebulae.
This guide illustrates updating the firmware via the USB drive on the front of the module.
What You Need

• A USB Drive
• A neb_update.zip firmware update file
The process
• Add the neb_update.zip to the root directory of the USB drive.
• Insert the USB drive into the Nebulae.
• MakesurethatnoCVsarepresentatthecontrolinputs.(Themoduleperformsaself-calibrationafterfirmware
updates)
• Power on the Nebulae
• Afterthetypicalboottime,theLEDswillbegintocyclegreenindicatingthefirmwareisupdatingsuccessfully.
• The update will take up to 90 seconds.
• OncetheupdateiscompletetheLEDswillstoprotating,andwillremaingreenwhiletheNebulaeperformsa
software reboot.
• The LEDs will begin cycling white to indicate the boot sequence, and subsequently aqua when it begins to
load files.
• Once the module is running we recommend power cycling the module (with 5 seconds between turning the
module off and turning it back on).
It is recommended that the Nebulae not be powered down during a firmware update, or when loading files.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:11 am

Funky40 wrote:the firmware is "in" a Zip file, but you do NOT unzip this !

you put "the zip file as is" on the root directory of the USB stick and follow the instructions from the manual: (page 30 of 31)

( worth to note: some poeple have problems with USB sticks, for example the small white one that came with early Nebulae2s

instructions from the manual:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... Manual.pdf
Firmware Update

Welcome to the guide on updating the firmware for your Qu-Bit Nebulae.
This guide illustrates updating the firmware via the USB drive on the front of the module.
What You Need

• A USB Drive
• A neb_update.zip firmware update file
The process
• Add the neb_update.zip to the root directory of the USB drive.
• Insert the USB drive into the Nebulae.
• MakesurethatnoCVsarepresentatthecontrolinputs.(Themoduleperformsaself-calibrationafterfirmware
updates)
• Power on the Nebulae
• Afterthetypicalboottime,theLEDswillbegintocyclegreenindicatingthefirmwareisupdatingsuccessfully.
• The update will take up to 90 seconds.
• OncetheupdateiscompletetheLEDswillstoprotating,andwillremaingreenwhiletheNebulaeperformsa
software reboot.
• The LEDs will begin cycling white to indicate the boot sequence, and subsequently aqua when it begins to
load files.
• Once the module is running we recommend power cycling the module (with 5 seconds between turning the
module off and turning it back on).
It is recommended that the Nebulae not be powered down during a firmware update, or when loading files.
Yeah, I've tried this multiple times with original white stick and another USB stick. Still doesn't do anything.

I'm curious what all the files are after someone updates successfully on both the USB stick and the USB card.

Here is a screen shot on what was on my USB card before things went south. I don't have a screenshot of the files from the USB stick.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:05 am

scottmoon wrote: I'm curious what all the files are after someone updates successfully on both the USB stick and the USB card.

Here is a screen shot on what was on my USB card before things went south. I don't have a screenshot of the files from the USB stick.

what do you mean by "USB card" and "USB stick"?

so there is an SD card in the nebulae itself ... this indeed would have contents that might look something like this.
(as this looks like the boot partition of a linux build) - the SD card should not be altered manually unless you know something about linux.
if you have altered something on the root fs, its quite possible it wont boot at all, and so updating the 'firmware' will not work.

at that point you'll need a fresh image for the sdcard which Qubit can supply, but I dont think Qubit have put online as the image file is 4gb... so quite large to host.

(I made up a backup of my sdcard as i knew i was going to be messing with things.... its not a bad idea for all users, all you need is a sdcard reader ... just search 'backup raspberry pi sdcard' its simple to do! ... sorry, bit late for you ;) )

------

for the updating firmware,
if your not sure, then you'd be best to start with a freshly formatted USB **stick** (FAT32), and then just put the firmware zip file on it.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:17 am

loop recordings...

continuing from my last post....

has anyone else noticed when you 'overdub' recordings it all ways starts at the beginning of the loop - seems a bit odd.

e.g.
record an 8 bar loop (from empty buffer) , exit record
start a recording half way thru the record , say bar #4, for 1 bar... exit record.

on the next time around, it will play that at the beginning of the loop, rather than at bar#4

(tried with and without circular recording and was the same)

not a big issue, as I just start the recording at the beginning of the loop, but it'd be nice to 'punch in and out'

(I'll probably look to make this change along with others once Ive got this project finished)

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:47 pm

thetechnobear wrote:
scottmoon wrote: I'm curious what all the files are after someone updates successfully on both the USB stick and the USB card.

what do you mean by "USB card" and "USB stick"?

so there is an SD card in the nebulae itself ... this indeed would have contents that might look something like this.
(as this looks like the boot partition of a linux build) - the SD card should not be altered manually unless you know something about linux.
if you have altered something on the root fs, its quite possible it wont boot at all, and so updating the 'firmware' will not work.

at that point you'll need a fresh image for the sdcard which Qubit can supply, but I dont think Qubit have put online as the image file is 4gb... so quite large to host.

(I made up a backup of my sdcard as i knew i was going to be messing with things.... its not a bad idea for all users, all you need is a sdcard reader ... just search 'backup raspberry pi sdcard' its simple to do! ... sorry, bit late for you ;) )
Sorry, I meant SD Card (not USB card) and I did mess with it. I shouldn't mess with things I know nothing about. I copied and removed the files and later put them back on the SD card. It is formatted Fat 32 but I'm using a mac, not Linux. I've also tried the neb.update.zip and the revert_to_factory_firmware on the white USB stick but it didn't do anything.

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 am

thetechnobear wrote:loop recordings...

continuing from my last post....

has anyone else noticed when you 'overdub' recordings it all ways starts at the beginning of the loop - seems a bit odd.

e.g.
record an 8 bar loop (from empty buffer) , exit record
start a recording half way thru the record , say bar #4, for 1 bar... exit record.

on the next time around, it will play that at the beginning of the loop, rather than at bar#4

(tried with and without circular recording and was the same)

not a big issue, as I just start the recording at the beginning of the loop, but it'd be nice to 'punch in and out'

(I'll probably look to make this change along with others once Ive got this project finished)
So overdub always gets placed in the beginning regardless of where on the previous loop it got recorded to?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:31 pm

vantablack wrote: So overdub always gets placed in the beginning regardless of where on the previous loop it got recorded to?
exactly...it would appear that when you 'press' record the record head is always at the beginning, regardless of where the play head is.

I noticed because I'm running an 8 bar loop, sync to a sequencer, and saw if I started at bar 4, i'd get the overdub on bar 1.

as I said, not really an issue for me, as what I do now is
use the sequencer to trig the overdub record, so record always starts at 1.1.0, even if im not actually playing anything till later.

just wondered if anyone else had noticed it

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:22 pm

how can i save a recorded buffer to the usb card ?

can´t find the info in the manual.
i have right now a buffer full of 1s and 0s that i don´t want to lose ( keeping the modular on................heating ;) )
( i might have asked this allready )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:45 pm

I guess they can't be bothered to update the manual. The explanation is on the page for the newest firmware.

"Live buffer can be saved to the USB flash drive (Hold file and press freeze)"

Return to “Eurorack Modules”