Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:49 pm

scottmoon wrote:
thetechnobear wrote:
scottmoon wrote: I'm curious what all the files are after someone updates successfully on both the USB stick and the USB card.

Here is a screen shot on what was on my USB card before things went south. I don't have a screenshot of the files from the USB stick.

what do you mean by "USB card" and "USB stick"?
Sorry, I meant SD Card (not USB card) and I did mess with it. I shouldn't mess with things I know nothing about. I copied and removed the files and later put them back on the SD card. It is formatted Fat 32 but I'm using a mac, not Linux. I've also tried the neb.update.zip and the revert_to_factory_firmware on the white USB stick but it didn't do anything.
Andrew got me all sorted out and my Nebulae 2 is back in action. :goo:
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:10 pm

Zymos wrote:(Hold file and press freeze)"
supercool, Thanks Zymos

scottmoon wrote: Andrew got me all sorted out and my Nebulae 2 is back in action. :goo:
Great to hear !

i must say, i´m growing more and more with the NEB2 !
i can do this and i can do that ...and very often do i walk in muscial awesomeness. Sweetspots everywhere........
Without this beeing a fight or beeing an undertaking of plain luck...........
i mean: people who watch the lake Zürich 24/24 for three years nonstop might get some Dolphins to see.......there have been reports...... :lol: ;)

can recommend the module from a musical standpoint very very much !
also thanks to danishchairs and his work ! details that were changed, but important enough !
:tu:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:46 am

Funky40 wrote: i must say, i´m growing more and more with the NEB2 !
i can do this and i can do that ...and very often do i walk in muscial awesomeness. Sweetspots everywhere........
It’s taken me a while to gel with it, but perseverance seems to have paid off.
Now I’m really enjoying live recording , then moving it into granular territory - I like feeding it then into clouds , which can ‘soften the edges’

I’d love to hear more about how others are using it, and what ‘material’ they find works best for them.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 pm

thetechnobear wrote: Now I’m really enjoying live recording , then moving it into granular territory - I like feeding it then into clouds , which can ‘soften the edges’
yeah, i do the same. lol

i also do mostly live recording. Well, danishchairs FW has changed this a bit in fact.
same: quasi allways Clouds behind the Neb2.
sometimes the other way around, Clouds bevore the recording.
well, often patched in a way that i have both options with no or just minimal repatching
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:59 am

I'm trying to achieve a specific effect with the Nebulae v2.

I'm running a 3 note arpeggio into pitch. Sound is frozen at a particular place, so it's a little like a wavetable. I've tried it both with gates into retriever and without gates into retrigger.

On the one hand, Nebulae is monophonic. On the other, it is theoretically capable of overlapping grains. When I run the arpeggio in, even at the longest grain settings (and density set short of where you start getting a pitch from that), it seems like each note into the 1v/octave input changes the pitch of all the grains, even the ones that have already sounded. What I'm looking for is a kind of "arpeggio inside the cloud" effect where the already sounding grains aren't repitched. Is this possible?

If you know software, Spacecraft (iOS and desktop) does this really well and beautifully. I know it's polyphonic but theoretically, once you have overlapping grains, that shouldn't matter....

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:12 am

are you generating the grains?
I would expect this is what is needed to achieve what you want.

I've got to record my current patch before i break it down, but once ive done that... i'll give this a go - and let you know if it works as expected (or how i expect it to work ;) )

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:15 am

ok, so gave this a go....

so as far as I could tell, the v/oct is used when the grain is generated, and did not change the grains pitch once it was 'live'

but its actually quite difficult to hear, since the grain size set by overlap is short... but it seemed correct from what I could hear.

the issue is if you don't synchronise the grain generation, and your using rapid grain generation, then all 10 grains are likely to be used for the same note.
so you'll basically get 10 grains rapidly changing between the notes of the arp, so it wont sound like a chord

no.freeze is not relevant, since all freeze does it really fix the place when the audio is taken from and plays back at a fixed rate. most parameters including v/oct are still active, as they are used for the grain generation.
this is often desirable, since this allows you to 'play' the freeze

of course this is just how its implemented,
there is nothing stopping you changing the csound code to store the frequencies used while not frozen, and then use them for grain generation whilst frozen..
(still going to be a bit tricky to get the timing of when to record the v/oct)

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks. I think Spacecraft gets around this by arpeggiating from grain to grain-- but I could be mistaken.

I love that this module is programmable, but I also know learning code to mod the Nebulae isn't going to happen in my case.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:52 am

JES wrote:Thanks. I think Spacecraft gets around this by arpeggiating from grain to grain-- but I could be mistaken.
so you can do this by triggering grains yourself.... but the overlap (grain size) is pretty short.... it does sound pretty cool, if you run this into clouds (or i guess other reverbs/delays)

hmm, makes me wonder if clouds handles this any differently?!

edit: so i had a quick look at the description of spacecraft, it appears it has a arp/sequencer built in...
this is kind of interesting, it'd be relatively easy to replace the randomisation of pitch (2nd func + pitch) which an arp type function.... i suspect this would be quite similar to what spacecraft and others do...

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks. I can try it on Clouds at my space tomorrow night. I feel stupid but how do you manually trigger grains on the Nebulae? I don’t see anything in the manual.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:29 pm

JES wrote:how do you manually trigger grains on the Nebulae? I don’t see anything in the manual.
2nd Function + Freeze = source input as trig
density = fully counter clockwise

then a grain is only created when you have a trig into source input.
overlap = size of grain

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Thank you. I got it working, but I'm getting weird pitch randomization. So let's say my original sample is pitched to A and there's no variation in start point or anything else, so I'm using the granular sample more or less like a wavetable. If I come in with a C3, it should be the same at the original pitch. Fine, that works. If I go up to G3 on the 3rd step of the sequence, though, I get different pitches every time, when it should just be a 5th up. And I checked my sequence in a regular oscillator (nothing interesting happening, just C on step 1 and G on step 3). Pitch randomization is set to off on the Nebulae. If I remove the 1v/octave input, I get the original pitched sample triggered by the sequence in time, no pitch randomization, no start randomization. Bug? Or is there something I don't understand?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:51 pm

hmm, had a quick look....

yeah, I think its kind of sliding into the note.. :(
i.e. play c,g,g,g,c,c - you get c,f#,g,g,c#,c

I had a quick look at the code, at its not obvious why its doing this.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 am

I dropped a line to tech support. We'll see what they say. Not only is it sliding, it's not always getting there....

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:30 am

It gets there on the next trig .. so yeah you need to generate 2 trigs for each note :( at least that’s what happening for me.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:58 am

Yeah, but the slurring isn’t working for me. Here’s hoping there is a fix.

Btw, I did try this with Clouds last night. Works fine and tunes instantly.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 am

Yeah hopefully qubit can reproduce and fix.

Clouds - did it sound good? How did you set it up?
I had a go but didn’t really get anything that i like that much.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:03 pm

thetechnobear wrote:Yeah hopefully qubit can reproduce and fix.

Clouds - did it sound good? How did you set it up?
I had a go but didn’t really get anything that i like that much.
Saved a piano sample--3 octaves of "A" with reverb into a buffer. Load the buffer. Pitch out of FH-2 (controlled by a Linnstrument--this was at my practice space and the Vector lives at home). So "C" on the Linnstrument was "A", but if I had retuned the sample to first using the tune knob, I could have played it in tune. It pitched up and down perfectly, and I could do tuned slides which turn a piano drone into something like a moaning human voice. I use just a bit of attenuated noise into position and grain size to prevent buildup of particular frequencies. It was actually awesome and will be incorporated into a song we're doing.

For sequencing, turn down grain frequency, run the gate out of the FH-2 controlled into the trig in of the Clouds, and then I ran the arpeggiator. Fast BPM + subdivisions = grain frequency.

PieterB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PieterB » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:27 am

From what Ive seen, this module is right up my alley.
I really love granular textures and the samples on the usbdrive sound great.

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Wondering what is going on exactly with my USB stick.

For some reason it says that I have all this space used up on the USB stick, but after I have taken out almost all of the samples to make room for new ones it looks like no room has been created on the drive by removing the samples.

Are there files on the USB stick that I'm not seeing and cannot access? This is my first time running into this problem and have been able to remove and replace files with ease before this.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:10 pm

PieterB wrote:From what Ive seen, this module is right up my alley.
I really love granular textures and the samples on the usbdrive sound great.
For me too. The biggest problem is being unable to splice.

IntervoxOptima
Common Wiggler

Post by IntervoxOptima » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi All,

Currently have firmware 2.1.1 loaded on my Nebulae. I've recorded material into the live buffer and attempt to save it to the USB flash drive by holding file and pressing freeze. For the life of me I can't find the saved live buffer file on the USB when I tap source and then toggle through the saved files. I've tried to save the live buffer multiple times following the process outlined but nothing seems to get saved. Any Ideas????? :help: Thanks in advance for any tips!

Destinova
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Destinova » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 pm

IntervoxOptima wrote:Hi All,

Currently have firmware 2.1.1 loaded on my Nebulae. I've recorded material into the live buffer and attempt to save it to the USB flash drive by holding file and pressing freeze. For the life of me I can't find the saved live buffer file on the USB when I tap source and then toggle through the saved files. I've tried to save the live buffer multiple times following the process outlined but nothing seems to get saved. Any Ideas????? :help: Thanks in advance for any tips!
Have you checked the flash drive on your computer? Nebulae can only access about 75mb from the drive so it might be on there but just not able to be accessed until you clear some of your other files out.

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:32 pm

IntervoxOptima wrote:Hi All,

Files have to be transferred from the USB stick to the module before you can access them with the File button. Neb2 doesn’t play audio files directly from the USB stick.

The manual says you can reload files by holding the File button and tapping the Source button.

Check to see if your buffer files have been saved by reading the USB stick on a computer.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

IntervoxOptima
Common Wiggler

Post by IntervoxOptima » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Destinova wrote:Have you checked the flash drive on your computer? Nebulae can only access about 75mb from the drive so it might be on there but just not able to be accessed until you clear some of your other files out.
Yeah, I have ample space on the flash,

Return to “Eurorack Modules”