Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

IntervoxOptima
Common Wiggler

Post by IntervoxOptima » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:06 pm

danishchairs wrote:
IntervoxOptima wrote:Hi All,

Currently have firmware 2.1.1 loaded on my Nebulae. I've recorded material into the live buffer and attempt to save it to the USB flash drive by holding file and pressing freeze. For the life of me I can't find the saved live buffer file on the USB when I tap source and then toggle through the saved files. I've tried to save the live buffer multiple times following the process outlined but nothing seems to get saved. Any Ideas????? :help: Thanks in advance for any tips!
Files have to be transferred from the USB stick to the module before you can access them with the File button. Neb2 doesn’t play audio files directly from the USB stick.

The manual says you can reload files by holding the File button and tapping the Source button.

Check to see if your buffer files have been saved by reading the USB stick on a computer.
I see the file is on there, I must have missed the reloading files procedure in the manual. Thanks for the quick responses everyone! :cloud:

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:12 pm

JES wrote:I dropped a line to tech support. We'll see what they say. Not only is it sliding, it's not always getting there....
Confirmed that it's an issue. Not sure if they will consider it a limitation of the software or a bug, but on request I sent them a video of the problem.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Ok, I heard back. They say it’s “expected behavior” with the current firmware. They said they’d consider it for an update. I’m pretty disappointed since it means the 1v/octave will only work for very slow sequencing or playing and not at all for manually triggered grains. There’s still a lot you can do with the module, but if you’re going to put a 1v/oct input, I kind of expect to be able to play it.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

stickman
Common Wiggler

Post by stickman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:14 pm

Heya does anyone else use the secondary grain sync mode? (source+freeze)

For me it's only working in normal record/playback but not overdub.. is this to be expected?

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:56 am

got to play with one of these at control last weekend and i was really impressed by the sound quality and intuitive nature of the controls, I've read most of this thread but its kind of hard to sort what issues have been resolved by firmware updates and which haven't. i didn't get a chance to play with audio input, how does it work with live sound on sound looping? are any of the alternate instruments great?

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:09 am

_lampshade_ wrote:got to play with one of these at control last weekend and i was really impressed by the sound quality and intuitive nature of the controls, I've read most of this thread but its kind of hard to sort what issues have been resolved by firmware updates and which haven't. i didn't get a chance to play with audio input, how does it work with live sound on sound looping? are any of the alternate instruments great?
I never used any of the alternate instruments but live sound on sound recording works and sounds great!

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:43 pm

well ones in the mail! i guess i didn't need much further convincing...

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 am

hu I'm getting very kind glitchy results with looping, anyone know what i could be doing wrong?

ive tried resting the buffer by pressing file and reset, creating a new buffer by recording silence for a clocked loop, blend is in the middle, start and size are at min and max respectavely, but everytime my loop goes around there is a slight glitch or a moment of silence where the seem is when the reset button flashes.

also is there a way to adjust the feedback of the loop? i.e. how much of the previous recording is kept as a new layer is added.

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:19 am

anyone? I’d like to know if there is something wrong with my nebulae or if this is user error / a bug. I’m loving the granular side of it but I’d really like to get looping and recording going too..,,

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm

I the continuous overdub mode, I get the glitch you refer to as well. Makes this mode totally unusable imho.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 am

_lampshade_ wrote:hu I'm getting very kind glitchy results with looping, anyone know what i could be doing wrong?

ive tried resting the buffer by pressing file and reset, creating a new buffer by recording silence for a clocked loop, blend is in the middle, start and size are at min and max respectavely, but everytime my loop goes around there is a slight glitch or a moment of silence where the seem is when the reset button flashes.

also is there a way to adjust the feedback of the loop? i.e. how much of the previous recording is kept as a new layer is added.
I've had pretty good results...

so the key for me, is to ensure you get a nice clean loop point ... usually when Im doing the original recording i try to manually blend it in a bit (i.e. be a bit quiet and start and end)
... im not that experienced with looping (e.g. with pedals) , so perhaps this is a not uncommon thing!? (or perhaps they window the loop point?)

the way achieve it is to use a fixed length recording, by using a sequencer to trig both record and reset. blend at 9 o'clock (but adjust to taste)

then the process is something like
from stop, clear buff
insert record/play jack (so on next loop it will record)
record something
it'll then turn off recording (on next pass of seq)
next time around it will start recording again (overdub)
remove record/play jack, so it continuously overdubs.

I then play with blend, to set the levels of the new material vs existing.

the reason this faffing with the record jack is necessary, its is important to sync the overdub loop with the start of the recording buffer.
because overdub always records at the start of the buffer NOT in sync with original recording. I believe this is probably a bug... as its not what you would expect.

this gives me a clean looping, almost all the time... (95%?)

however, I have noticed occasionally that clearing out the buffer seems to leave some 'garbage' at the end, and as you point out , I get a glitch....(random noise)
this only ever happens on the initially recording (not which doing continuous overdub), what I think is happening, is its playing back a tiny fraction (a few samples) of buffer that were not actually recorded. (this is why recording a blank buffer doesnt seem to help)

fortunately its very rare.... and as i said, my process works for me almost all the time.

its a bit of a faff, but i guess Nebulae is not marketed as a dedicated module, so it works 'well enough' for me.

of course the fun bit is, once you have done the looping, you can then switch to granular :)

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am

_lampshade_ wrote:hu I'm getting very kind glitchy results with looping, anyone know what i could be doing wrong?

Maybe it's because you put Size at max. If I remember correctly the manual says that when Size is fully clockwise a short silence is introduced. Could this be the problem?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am

Gyroscope wrote:Maybe it's because you put Size at max. If I remember correctly the manual says that when Size is fully clockwise a short silence is introduced. Could this be the problem?
It does? I can’t find any mention of this , nor have I experienced this :hmm:

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:16 pm

thetechnobear wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:Maybe it's because you put Size at max. If I remember correctly the manual says that when Size is fully clockwise a short silence is introduced. Could this be the problem?
It does? I can’t find any mention of this , nor have I experienced this :hmm:
Wow, I just went and reread the Nebulae manual and I'm sorry for the confusion. I mixed up the Morphagene and Nebulae. On the Morphagene, when Morph is fully CCW a silence is introduced. I always thought it was the same thing on the Nebulae with Size fully CW. Sorry again.

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm

thetechnobear wrote:

then the process is something like
from stop, clear buff
insert record/play jack (so on next loop it will record)
record something
it'll then turn off recording (on next pass of seq)
next time around it will start recording again (overdub)
remove record/play jack, so it continuously overdubs.

I then play with blend, to set the levels of the new material vs existing.

the reason this faffing with the record jack is necessary, its is important to sync the overdub loop with the start of the recording buffer.
because overdub always records at the start of the buffer NOT in sync with original recording. I believe this is probably a bug... as its not what you would expect.

this gives me a clean looping, almost all the time... (95%?)
module, so it works 'well enough' for me.

of course the fun bit is, once you have done the looping, you can then switch to granular :)
thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. i did manage to get some pretty seamless loops going by following this technique and also paying attention to the advice of not recording during overlapping the loop point first time around.

unfortunately as i continued recording once i did overwrite the loop point with audio, glitches slow started to develop and intensify as it is amplifies the slight glitch with each subsequent pass.

so kind of not ideal for a looper id say. awesome module otherwise though.

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:25 pm

_lampshade_ wrote: ... so kind of not ideal for a looper id say. awesome module otherwise though.
This won’t help right away, but I’ve been working on new code for recording and looping on the Neb2. Hopefully something good soon.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:53 am

_lampshade_ wrote: unfortunately as i continued recording once i did overwrite the loop point with audio, glitches slow started to develop and intensify as it is amplifies the slight glitch with each subsequent pass.

so kind of not ideal for a looper id say. awesome module otherwise though.

odd, as i said, once I've gone into overdub mode I've never heard a glitch introduced... its only on the initial record.
what i usually do, is record initial loop, then once im in overdub mode just keep it on, whilst i do many layers - then only turn off once i want to start mangling it :)

yeah, id agree it not an ideal looper, as its pretty basic , no undo, layers and the sync'ing is a bit 'painful' - I use it as its 'what i have' :)
but, as you say, its great module for the granular side.

I'm busy on other projects, but after that i might look at writing a dedicated looper instrument, they are actually not that hard to write.
( i personally would prefer to have a few small alt instruments, rather than trying to cram it all in the main granular inst, which i quite like 'as-is')

nnamesor
Common Wiggler

Post by nnamesor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:43 pm

nnamesor wrote:
Qu-Bit Electronix wrote:We are currently working on the v1.1 firmware update.

If you have any feature requests, please chime in on this thread and we'll do our best to implement them!
Still very interested having File Select be CV addressable (as opposed to using a gate to step through forward and backward sequentially) - allowing for file recall / selectability w/ Pressure Points, or something similar . . . would be awesome for “presets”.
Does anyone know if this has ever been addressed? I tried going through the almost 50 pages of this thread and the firmware release notes, and have asked about it twice, but haven't seen anything. Still think this would we an amazing feature - being able to use CV to jump between specific files, rather than step through sequentially. Is this not possible? Qu-Bit?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Probably best to just email them and ask, they are not very active on this thread.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 pm

nnamesor wrote: Still think this would we an amazing feature - being able to use CV to jump between specific files, rather than step through sequentially. Is this not possible? Qu-Bit?
this is allready achived in one of the alternate .instr. files.
Much likely in one from Danishchairs, but if i remember correctly was there also one instrument from somebody other....?

request:
a own thread for the alternative neb2 FWs/instruments from "Danishchairs" !!

to have a own "DC" alt-FW Thread would be MUCH appreciated ! ;)
and one DC FW with all DC .instr loaded in correct order
:help:

(had to update my neb2 due to (i thought) problems and fell out of my happy camper status. Need to dive back....... :hmm: )

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:28 pm

nnamesor wrote:
nnamesor wrote:Still very interested having File Select be CV addressable (as opposed to using a gate to step through forward and backward sequentially) - allowing for file recall / selectability w/ Pressure Points, or something similar . . . would be awesome for “presets”.
Does anyone know if this has ever been addressed? I tried going through the almost 50 pages of this thread and the firmware release notes, and have asked about it twice, but haven't seen anything. ...
Sorry to see you've been waiting a long time for this. I created a user instrument that swaps the window controls (both CV and knob) for the file selection switch. (It's called "windowFileSwap.instr".) The first version was announced on page 37 of this thread, and an updated version on page 43. The most recent version of my alternative firmware (recommended for my alternative/user instruments) was announced on page 44.

No need to go back and read those posts, unless you're interested in the discussion of the instruments. You can just go to my website to read about the software and download both firmware and instruments. (Link is also in my signature below.)

Here's hoping you like it!

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:40 am

i just went thru danischairs page.......

i need the instrument that has the "windowfileswap" but NOT the pause setting,
thus acting like a "loop on a tape". (endless ciycle)
which .instr is doing that ?......thats not on danishchairs page then ?

or do i mixpuzzle things and the "endless tape loop" and "windowfileswap" is NOT avaiable within one instr. ?
i thought i had a instrument loaded which had both features in one.

:hmm:

Danielblomquist
Learning to Wiggle

sample blurring....

Post by Danielblomquist » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Is there a user instrument for the nebulae v2 that creates more of a blurring effect for use with more drone type material. The default instrument has a click at the end of every grain no matter what you set the overlap to. I've asked this question so many times...does anyone else have this experience? Am I crazy...? I have a Clouds and Mungo G0, both do really great sample interpolation and "blurring" can't imagine why the Nebulae doesn't seem to do the same.

nikop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikop » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Is anyone else interested in running SuperCollider patches on this? I was hoping this would be addressed sooner but it's been two years already.
Last time I asked Qu-Bit about this, they told me that SuperCollider is already installed on the unit and they plan to feature SuperCollider support on a next firmware update.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:13 pm

nikop wrote:Is anyone else interested in running SuperCollider patches on this? I was hoping this would be addressed sooner but it's been two years already.
Last time I asked Qu-Bit about this, they told me that SuperCollider is already installed on the unit and they plan to feature SuperCollider support on a next firmware update.
SC would be nice! If I remember correctly, @StefanoCatena even wrote some code against the github repo of Qubit, but as far as I know it was never merged: https://github.com/andrewikenberry/QB_N ... s%3Aclosed

Return to “Eurorack Modules”