Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

_RFJ
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _RFJ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:35 pm

I’m sure this is discussed earlier in the thread so apologies for the duplicate question...

I’m wanting to load some instrument files onto my nebulae. The manual states there should be a factory bank and a user bank. Are these banks located on the usb drive or here can I find these? My usb drive only has the factory content file folder. Am I good to just put instrument files on the root of the usb or do I need to be looking somewhere else? The manual clearly states the process for loading the instrument files but is a bit unclear on how to install new instrument files to the device.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Re: sample blurring....

Post by JES » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Danielblomquist wrote:Is there a user instrument for the nebulae v2 that creates more of a blurring effect for use with more drone type material. The default instrument has a click at the end of every grain no matter what you set the overlap to. I've asked this question so many times...does anyone else have this experience? Am I crazy...? I have a Clouds and Mungo G0, both do really great sample interpolation and "blurring" can't imagine why the Nebulae doesn't seem to do the same.
I find a bit of modulation helps, as does some filtering, but yes, this is a more edgy granulator in my experience.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:41 pm

_RFJ wrote:I’m sure this is discussed earlier in the thread so apologies for the duplicate question...

I’m wanting to load some instrument files onto my nebulae. The manual states there should be a factory bank and a user bank. Are these banks located on the usb drive or here can I find these? My usb drive only has the factory content file folder. Am I good to just put instrument files on the root of the usb or do I need to be looking somewhere else? The manual clearly states the process for loading the instrument files but is a bit unclear on how to install new instrument files to the device.
You can just put .instr and .pd files in the root of the USB drive. You then turn on the module and it will copy these files to its internal storage. The .instr instruments are then in the left bank (hold the 'speed' encoder for a while to get in the instrument selector and then turn to the left) and the .pd instruments on the right. You can then select it using the buttons on the bottom and then click the encoder again to load it.

Hope this helps!

jmax313
Common Wiggler

Post by jmax313 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:37 pm

anyone own this and an er301? I'm curious besides comparing them, if it makes sense to pair them?...

_RFJ
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _RFJ » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:04 pm

yrn1 wrote:You can just put .instr and .pd files in the root of the USB drive. You then turn on the module and it will copy these files to its internal storage. The .instr instruments are then in the left bank (hold the 'speed' encoder for a while to get in the instrument selector and then turn to the left) and the .pd instruments on the right. You can then select it using the buttons on the bottom and then click the encoder again to load it.

Hope this helps!
That does help a great deal. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to digging into the drum instrument!

mattroix
1-Post Wiggler

Post by mattroix » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:47 am

What is your experience with the circular recording mode?

I know how to enable it, and I tried it with very short loops, but it's just doesn't feel like live granular processing, which I would want.

There is the Time Lag Accumulation mode in Morphagene, which seems something closer to the "live" experience.

What are your thoughts on this?

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Greetings. I have a question about grain direction: if I've frozen the file, it seems like every time the Nebulae triggers a grain, it play forwards. Is there a way to get the grains to always play backwards even when they're being launched from a single place in the file? I've got something with drums where I want to not hear the more percussive part.

blakflag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blakflag » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:33 pm

Alternate instrument selection appears to be fairly broken for me. I can go to user instrument mode, and I can select among the first 5 leftmost instruments. But if I scroll the window of active instruments, I cannot actually select any of the instruments past the original 5th instrument. (as in the selection highlight wont light on any of them if they were not among the first 5)

The user interface for paging instruments is also really bad. But that's another issue.

By placing only 5 instruments on the SD at a time, I did explore them all. Only the Morphing FM seemed at all interesting. Many of them I could not get to make even a peep (I did print out the help sheets). It's a good thing I like the primary Granular looper...

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:00 pm

I asked before about some ideas I'd like to see implemented. I'm willing to hire a Csound wizard (with a Nebulae V2) at a reasonable rate to realize these ideas, since I don't really want to learn Csound just to do it. If that's you, please PM me and let's see what we can work out.

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Would be cool to thansform Nebulae into a wavetable voice) Its kinda doable already, but a more specific instrument could be more interesting.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:07 pm

.......some wished it was a toaster.......and then came i and wanted it to be my Rice Cooker :lol:
but: nooooooothing ! :hyper: ....we^re still waiting :lol:

while i´d be all in to fork out some cash for a DSP programmer-Guy,
"in case a group of people could find a common sense on their wishes" ;)
my ones are: Focus entirely on the Granular thematic ! ( both modes, Blend: CW + CCW ( forgot the Names).
.......as danishchairs has started the works.
+- Same Functions in slight different setups

personally i´m not fond of samplers who want to tell you that they are also wavtable VCOs.
We have three exquisite WT VCOs on the market.
I have a hard to time to believe that there would be anybody out there who wants to turn his Golden-Thing sampler into a wavetable VCO after he has worked with one of these three ( E352,E370,PH3),
while those golden-Thing samplers are exactly good and tailored for that, to be your funny sample manipulating Box, no ?

i´m coming from:
too wide spread wishes have never worked for the better ! ( look at elektron boxes and related threads )
Better focus and center the wishes on the obvious core functionality
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:27 pm

At the risk of causing a riot, let’s not forget the standard firmware has a very capable phase vocoder (unique in Euro AFAIK) that could also have a couple useful additional parameters....

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:11 pm

JES wrote:........ a very capable phase vocoder .......
this is the mode when Blend is set CCW ?

( thats what i mean, the given core functionality as such delivers allready so and so much "Visions" waht this module could be,
based on that given core functionality)

whats the name for the Blend at CW mode ? ( respectivly both: CCW/CW )
JES wrote:At the risk of causing a riot.......
i´m not so polite.
I allways post assuming i´m under mature chaps ;)
....forgive me please everybody ( :goo: )
(and i and learnt that beeing plain direct works the best beeing under intelligent people. )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:32 pm

JES, it would be immensly great to see this module grow further.

Personally i´m lusting for the Instruo ones ( while i gave up lusting for the Morphagene),
but whatever comes new to the market, the Nebulae2 is a *supergreat* Module,
it is super musical in use !
it can be super inspiring to work with ( versus allways having a battle and a hassle),
one just has to give oneself some *little* quality introduction time. ( well, i gave it not much, i just started to make music, honestly ;) )

......and whatever comes to market, i suspect it never would Replace the NEB2 entirely.
These things are all different.
And the NEB2 has its own quirks how it handles Audio which turns in fact for me to advantages.

CV ing the module leads to a own form of sound quality which is for example entirely different then waht a Clouds would spit out,
which is also allways something of its own.

the sum up of my GAS is this:
I´m totally GASing for the Arbhar now, but honestly i wish me MUCH MORE that the NEB2 would evolve a little more.........
( not saying i´m unhappy, just that the handling of recorded audio lacks a little versus what we can do with samples loaded from card respectivly at startup.
i´m allready superhappy in fact !) ( edit: this Module is IMHO allreday one of the BIG ones )

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:04 pm

No worries! I liked the toaster joke. Yes, fully CCW is phase vocoder and CW is granular. Window size and morph speed would be great additions to the phase vocoder.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:38 pm

JES wrote: Window size and morph speed would be great additions to the phase vocoder.
The "size" parameter is in that sense the "Window size" to my understanding and how i take it.
make it small, but you then have to "scrub" thru the sample manually or by CV.
BUT: and here comes my wish into play:
In this mode the sample does not loop endlessly, but the "play lenght" is dependend on the sample lenght versus start/size settings.........giving a stop in certain conditions.
I´d like to omit that stop !

( i´m not at the module, its a tough one to phrase it out correctly, without directly patching it )

its exactly a point where i see a limitation that i´d like to see an "alternative mode" that would overcome this ! while i also see the logic within this, as is.
And i totally see that its not easy to create such module/concept up front.
But since its updateable ? ;)

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Funky40 wrote:
JES wrote: Window size and morph speed would be great additions to the phase vocoder.
The "size" parameter is in that sense the "Window size" to my understanding and how i take it.
make it small, but you then have to "scrub" thru the sample manually or by CV.
BUT: and here comes my wish into play:
In this mode the sample does not loop endlessly, but the "play lenght" is dependend on the sample lenght versus start/size settings.........giving a stop in certain conditions.
I´d like to omit that stop !

( i´m not at the module, its a tough one to phrase it out correctly, without directly patching it )

its exactly a point where i see a limitation that i´d like to see an "alternative mode" that would overcome this ! while i also see the logic within this, as is.
And i totally see that its not easy to create such module/concept up front.
But since its updateable ? ;)
That’s not what I mean by window size. I mean the size of the sample — the length of the spectral bins that are used for phase vocoding. Right now that is fixed. More akin to grain size, which has no effect on the phase vocoder.

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Re: Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Post by vantablack » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 am

Is it possible to see which instruments are installed simply by browsing the sd-card that's on the Pi? I don't even remember which FW I got installed, the qu-bit "beta" on GitHub which fixed the Pd crash or one of Danish ones. Fw wise (or is it an alt granular.inst?) I want the granular with switched window type

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 am

You could work it out by browsing instr code,
But it’s probably easier just to (re-)install the version you want.

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:14 am

thetechnobear wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 am
You could work it out by browsing instr code,
But it’s probably easier just to (re-)install the version you want.
Ah, so a install wipe all user instruments etc. cool, will do it. the instrument picker is.. difficult :lol:

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:29 pm

there was a version which added that the Grains could be triggered from external triggers right ?
has anybody a link to this one please ?

i would like to experiment with the Nebulae2 in this direction.....leaving out the arbhar.
using the NEB2 more like a creative delay should then work out

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 am

Funky40 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:29 pm
there was a version which added that the Grains could be triggered from external triggers right ?
has anybody a link to this one please ?
I think this is part of the default instrument. It’s one of the secondary controls.

To access it, hold the Source button and tap Freeze.

Here’s how to use it (from page 16 of the manual):
15. Freeze
Configures a grain trigger out of the source gate input.
When active, the source gate input no longer switches between live and file sources.
When this setting is enabled, turning the density knob all the way down will disable the internal generation of grains, deferring all grain generation to the source gate input.
When the density control is at it’s minimum, the overlap control operates on a fixed range of grain sizes from 500us to 2 seconds.
I think this also works on my alternative instruments.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:34 am

danishchairs wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 am
To access it, hold the Source button and tap Freeze.

Here’s how to use it (from page 16 of the manual):

I think this also works on my alternative instruments.
ahh, you are the best !
i´ll check it out tonight.

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by airfrankenstein » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:18 pm

solaris wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:14 pm
pitch-shifting + time-stretching sound good but I'm having a hard time live-sampling rhythmic stuff and keeping it synchronized.
I just received my nebulae v2 which I plan to use for live sampling but as it stands I’m
Unable to record anything. I went through the manual tried clearing the buffer first by pressing file and reset, turned bien to middle or fully clockwise then hit record...the leds up top go red but I can’t hear my input signal. What am I doing wrong ?

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Blend in the middle when recording, source lit. When playing back, blend either ccw or cw, source still lit. Actually, to record, blend does not need to be in the middle, since it just records what you hear, as long as source is lit, but, on first recording, the buffer would be empty, so nothing would play. I’m not 100% sure what happens if source is not lit...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”