Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Post by Fedor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:08 pm

If the source is not lit - then you'll record into selected file.

Regarding rhythmic material - there's no clock inputs for recording and playing audio, but there is a gate input to toggle record. So I assume if you use a gate sequence with one gate enabled on the first step - it might actually record in time.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:09 pm

yes, press source so its lit. ( just a short press !!!! ....under 250ms !!! ( thats a stumbling block for some) )
then: press source + press record wil still pressing source
---> you see now the record button lit in white. / but you only see it lit when source is pressed !!! othrwise not.

now you´re ready to record !
set blend to middle ideally.
when you press now record ......should it record.
----> the upper two leds will lit in red.
press record again to stop.

thats at least the mode i use
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:30 pm

thanks all for you're help clarifying the procedure which is in fact quite simple. It finally worked when I updated the firmware.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:11 pm

Fedor wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Regarding rhythmic material - there's no clock inputs for recording and playing audio, but there is a gate input to toggle record. So I assume if you use a gate sequence with one gate enabled on the first step - it might actually record in time.
I have had great success using one channel as a drum loop channel and the other channel with a recorded "beep" track to drive external sequencers using a Doepfer A-119 Ext input module to convert into gates for syncing during playback (not recording). I made this little video and I may have posted it a while back in this thread (I really miss the "show all" listing function):

-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:23 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:11 pm

I have had great success using one channel as a drum loop channel and the other channel with a recorded "beep" track to drive external sequencers
Why not use the Pulse output of the Nebulae?

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Fedor wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:23 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:11 pm

I have had great success using one channel as a drum loop channel and the other channel with a recorded "beep" track to drive external sequencers
Why not use the Pulse output of the Nebulae?
In the standard loop playing mode, the Pulse only outputs one pulse at the resetting of the loop. By recording the beep track, the other channel is linked to the beep track in an much more controlled manner, allowing radical speed changes and such, between the end of the loops, to be followed by the sync'd modules. Also the ability to record rhythms instead of steady clocks. I record both the beep and the audio loop in the same software so both are tied together timing wise. They will never drift apart from each other. They are linked on a sample level.

The Pulse output is very useful for resetting sequencers so that they start with the correct notes to match the other channel's loops. This is useful when you use a sequence that has a different not count than the rhythmic pulse you are providing by with the beep track. Also the pulse out is good to use with electronic switches to even expand it more by choosing different note sequences at the loop reset. Remember, the loop can be more than a bar in length. You can have a complex base line as a loop, and have a sequence that plays against it that then changes key at the loop reset. things like that.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:18 pm

thanks, I get it now, that's a really creative hack)

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:26 pm

James,
that sounds really like opening some deep new territory ........need to give it a try.
The NEB2 has so many sides. Its wild.

Funky40 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:34 am
danishchairs wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 am
To access it, hold the Source button and tap Freeze.

Here’s how to use it (from page 16 of the manual):

I think this also works on my alternative instruments.
ahh, you are the best !
i´ll check it out tonight.
works like a charm !

like it !
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:30 pm

by the way:

i opened 3 weeks back or so a own dedicated thread for Your Sound Demos and jamms with the NEb2

look: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=225389

i find the NEB2 deserves some more attention in this direction,
compared to the Morphagene. No ?

if anybody wants to contribute ??

( making recordings is not a strenght of me.......)

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:43 am

Ive started a new topic for 'alternative' firmware and instruments, as there were some that were unhappy when I previously announced things here

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=226841

hopefully this might make it easier to find things too.

Squarewave Fellowship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squarewave Fellowship » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:20 am

Fedor wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:18 pm
thanks, I get it now, that's a really creative hack)
Maybe already been mentioned, but you can also put the pulse into a clock multiplier. For me this works for maybe a 10 second sample, which will output a 6 bpm pulse, but I imagine there is a limit to this and some multipliers won't accept super slow triggers. Admittedly, if you want to change tempo, as in the beep-track channel demo, this doesn't work so well. But, I guess quickly changing tempo isn't something I ever do.

Faseen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Faseen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding my nebulae v2. I want to mainly use it as an additional sound source for my Arturia MiniBrute2.
To do so, I plug the KBD out (pitch control on minibrute) to the V/oct in on the Nebulae to match the pitch of my synthesizer.
But it appears that the Nebulae always applys a slight glide when the pitch is changing . This makes it nearly unusable for me.
Is this an usual behavior of this module? Is there any solution to this? Maybe changing something in the code?
Have searched the web for nearly 5 hours, but no one seems to have this problem, it drives me crazy...

Thanks in advance

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Faseen wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:48 pm
I have a question regarding my nebulae v2. I want to mainly use it as an additional sound source for my Arturia MiniBrute2.
To do so, I plug the KBD out (pitch control on minibrute) to the V/oct in on the Nebulae to match the pitch of my synthesizer.
But it appears that the Nebulae always applys a slight glide when the pitch is changing . This makes it nearly unusable for me.
Is this an usual behavior of this module? Is there any solution to this? Maybe changing something in the code?
Have searched the web for nearly 5 hours, but no one seems to have this problem, it drives me crazy...
I've noticed this as well. Was hoping to y'know, actually do granular synthesis, to make cool timbres that I could sequence and use like an oscillator. But it seems like the brains are too slow to catch up to the pitch changes.

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Faseen wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:48 pm
...I have a question regarding my nebulae v2. I want to mainly use it as an additional sound source for my Arturia MiniBrute2.
But it appears that the Nebulae always applys a slight glide when the pitch is changing . This makes it nearly unusable for me. ...
Welcome to Muffs!

I’m not sure I’ve noticed a glide whenever pitch changes. (I can make it glide by feeding the v/oct input a ramp wave.)

When you say “slight” glide, how long is “slight”?

Do you get the glide on all pitch changes, or just when the pitch changes a ”lot” (say, more than an octave) between adjacent notes?

A quick glance at the code shows there is some math involved in calculating pitch. I’m not sure if would be responsible for the glide you’re hearing.

I assume you’ve checked to make sure that the MiniBrute2 has glide turned off (or set to zero).

Thanks!

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:31 pm

It's not as noticeable on smaller changes but on 2 octave jumps you definitely hear it ramp to the new value. Usually it's like 100ms, pretty quick but def perceptible. Also doing it a bunch in a row won't do the glide the same every time, sometimes it will be quicker or longer or instantaneous.

Faseen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Faseen » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:18 pm

danishchairs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 pm
When you say “slight” glide, how long is “slight”?

Do you get the glide on all pitch changes, or just when the pitch changes a ”lot” (say, more than an octave) between adjacent notes?
What scragz said. It is very short, yet noticible. But I would say it becomes noticible if I do jumps of 7 semitones. Under 7 semitones its more of a feel.
Its best heard when you play a high note and then jump two octaves down.

(If this is important: My approach, when working with the Nebulae, is to catch a short pice of the sample with the start and size knobs and adjust the pitch of it to the oscillators on the synth. Then i play little phrases or melodys.)
danishchairs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 pm
A quick glance at the code shows there is some math involved in calculating pitch. I’m not sure if would be responsible for the glide you’re hearing.

I assume you’ve checked to make sure that the MiniBrute2 has glide turned off (or set to zero).

Thanks!
Glide is definetly off on the Brute. Also it seems that the glide-parameter on the Brute doesnt affect the V/oct out (hence the KBD OUT) (also tested this with Tides from MI).

nuttymad
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuttymad » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Yup, pitch glide here, too. Pretty annoying sometimes.

Anyone know if there are plans for a future firmware updates for the nebulae? Would love to see some new features and possible fixes for stuff like the pitch glide.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 pm

does c_synth aka SynthVoice also do it by any chance ?

if so, I'm pretty sure I know the code where glide is being introduced...
I can reduce/remove it in a new revision of the firmware, but Id have to check for unwanted side effects.
looks like its there to help stabilize pitch, so they don't warble around when its not changing, but perhaps its a bit on the 'aggressive' side.
anyway, will have a play next time my laptop is sitting next to the nebulae :)

edit: yeah , as suspected I seem to be able to induce in both granular and c_synth, so just need to connect laptop check it’s what I think it is.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:05 am

got around to hooking up a laptop...

first task was to get the issue reproducible.
this turned out to be quite simple...
record a sine wave input, then put alt_freeze on, and destiny = 0,overlap= 75%, blend=100%
this creates one grain for a trig on source, so you can then send in gate & v/oct from sequencer, put into a tuner to see output.

this clearly shows the issues, as the first 2-3 grains are always 'off pitch'

on then to test my hypothesis : hysteresis/filter code for cv input is lagging too much,
viola, remove the hysteresis/filter code for (just) pitch, and immediately this off pitch behaviour is eliminate, so no more glide.
it's actually not warbling around too much, but i think it does need stabilising, so currently I'm testing it with minimal filtering to see if that works.

my only fear here is that different nebulae units may have more or less stable adc, so perhaps my might be fine, but others might need more aggressive stabilisation - but i guess we need to test this.
another option might be for me to create a config file, to allow users to tailor these kind of settings 'to taste'

anyway, im need to try a few more sound sources, and test it in a more musical context before Im 100% its fixed and can release.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 pm

great to see that we have users here who like to pickup on the NEB2.
i still think its the best granular/creative sampler thing so far.

and its a shame for the manufacturer dude that he just leaves such a superb plattform kind of halfbaked in the wild,
not carrying any longer for it, while developing the next and the next and the next......

from a buziness standpoint would i say:
where is the difference between selling an old allready developed module or new ones that just have to be developed from scratch ?
ahhh wait: the fun of working on something new.........and the boredom to touch the old......

from a musical and music making standpoint is the Nebulae2 one of the best modules out there in whole euroland ! IMHO
but it has not been brought to where it even could be brought........
but hey, i´m sooooooo happy with my NEB2 ........for what it allready is ;)

the versatility is beyond..........
and it cures all my Instruo "looper and granular" GAS weekly by new.
Hope thats sustainable :lol:

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:24 am

I disagree that Nebulae is 'half baked' or QuBit have lost interest, I think they are rather just busy on new things :)

I think its an amazing platform, with lots of opportunities for the community to develop further, and perhaps that would entice QuBit to push further?

anyway,

I've released the firmware which removes the glide on v/oct (as far as i can tell ;) )
this also allows you to tune the other smoothing thats done, and 'revert' to original smoothing values

Ive also released a copy of the factory granular looper where size is relative to full loop size, rather than remaining i.e. unaffected by start position. (as this was kind of bugging me ;) )

all details/downloads on:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=226841

any questions or issues on these, please post on above topic.

(note: im only ping'ing on this topic, as this change relates to issues mention on this topic... usually i'll just update the other topic)

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:56 pm

thetechnobear wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:24 am
I disagree that Nebulae is 'half baked' or QuBit have lost interest, I think they are rather just busy on new things :)
Being busy on new products and not iterating on firmware for existing products is kind of the definition of lost interest. If they had interest they would have released a new version since V2.1.1 almost a year ago and fixed all the alternate instruments that apparently don't work.

I think Nebulae is great but agree with funky that it could use some official love. I've had it crash on more than one occasion, the glide thing, most of the knobs not doing anything in phase vocoder mode. Would be cool if there was a live processing "Clouds" mode or instrument since a lot of people want to be mangling on the fly.

When they release 2.1 with remembering state, saving samples, etc., it looked like they were going to keep working on it. Even that, right now if you record a new sample, save it, then reboot, it should load up the sample you saved. I mean, remembering state technically you were in a different source mode and it's remembering that but for usability it would make sense you actually want to load your sample. Lots of stuff they could be doing to make it easier to use!

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm

scragz wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Being busy on new products and not iterating on firmware for existing products is kind of the definition of lost interest. If they had interest they would have released a new version since V2.1.1 almost a year ago and fixed all the alternate instruments that apparently don't work.

I think Nebulae is great but agree with funky that it could use some official love. I've had it crash on more than one occasion, the glide thing, most of the knobs not doing anything in phase vocoder mode. Would be cool if there was a live processing "Clouds" mode or instrument since a lot of people want to be mangling on the fly.

When they release 2.1 with remembering state, saving samples, etc., it looked like they were going to keep working on it. Even that, right now if you record a new sample, save it, then reboot, it should load up the sample you saved. I mean, remembering state technically you were in a different source mode and it's remembering that but for usability it would make sense you actually want to load your sample. Lots of stuff they could be doing to make it easier to use!

Nebulae has been stable for me, never had it crash... which is why i disputed the 'half baked' statement - it does what it does very well for me.
as for new features, sure it'd be cool... but lots of modules get very few updates, so it was not an expectation of mine - but, of course, I recognise others may have different expectations.

Have you tried contacting QuBit, told them of your issues, asked them if they have any future plans?

personally, I'm thankful QuBit made Nebulae open source, so we can make changes and instruments :)

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:46 pm

thetechnobear wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm
personally, I'm thankful QuBit made Nebulae open source, so we can make changes and instruments :)
Totally! That's the reason I bought it instead of Morphagene et al since it was more of a platform with modifications that could be made by the community (mostly you, but I might have time some day....).

And don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for what they did with the 2.1 firmware and that's more than a lot of makers would have done. That addressed the main issues everyone wanted. It would be NICE if they kept going but it's understandable they have a lot of other firmwares to be writing and I'd rather a company built on open source was successful than bogged down adding every pet feature that lazy people (me) won't code themselves.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:53 pm

i´d like to answer:

1. I sayed "kind of halfbaked", ...thats not the same in my book.
I´m still ok with that phrasing, and it was just a short way to phrase out something otherwise quite complex to put it into words.

The NEB2 does feel fully functional to me, yes. But it does not feel fully finished.
But then, true, look at the market and look what other companies are doing, up to the big and biggest ones........

2. i totally get you @thetechnobear that you can´t accept my term "halfbaked" and you have to disagree,
but it seems to me you took the term out of context and wanted to put it into a single focus. /lets close it here

3. i guess we all can agree here how useful, how great, respectivly how "musically useful and great" the NEB2 is, right ? ;)

4. ....point 3. is what made me post.
it was a reminder to the Qu-Bit HQ ;)......and i wanted to phrase out the following ( and do again):
"where is the difference between selling a allready developed module ...or selling new to develope modules ?" ....from a buziness standpoint ?
its just that.
Funky40 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 pm
........that he just leaves such a superb plattform kind of halfbaked in the wild,

Return to “Eurorack Modules”