1010 music synthbox

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 pm

2disbetter wrote:One thing I think that should be mentioned is that the synthbox works intuitively with mpe control either via cv (5 inputs per voice) or via midi through a proprietary TRS to DIN cable. You can map the inputs to essentially anything
Could you please explain what you mean by mpe control? From my understanding synthbox receives standard midi note, pitch, velo and mod wheel all on one single midi channel, and there are no further expression parameters available through midi. ext1-3 in particular are only available as cv ins, right?

But it works quite nicely "plug and play" with a midi source like the Keystep, indeed, offering 4x polyphony.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:24 pm

pre55ure wrote:So you can't have a different patch using different oscillators etc... on each voice. (Would be awesome if you could).
I wonder why btw.

If it's just because of gui complexity or "needs more development time", there might be a solution for this in a future firmware update. From my understanding it should not be a hardware or performance problem, since each of the 4 voices can be cv modulated differently in many ways and thus needs to be calculated independently anyway.

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:44 pm

dbeats wrote:
pre55ure wrote:So you can't have a different patch using different oscillators etc... on each voice. (Would be awesome if you could).
I wonder why btw.

If it's just because of gui complexity or "needs more development time", there might be a solution for this in a future firmware update. From my understanding it should not be a hardware or performance problem, since each of the 4 voices can be cv modulated differently in many ways and thus needs to be calculated independently anyway.
Yeah I haven't talked to Aaron about it directly, but I can't imagine that it's a hardware limitation. Probably just a lot of extra work to code, (plus redoing the GUI etc...) and maybe not worth it from a business perspective. Though I hope thats something that eventually makes it in there.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm

pre55ure wrote:...maybe not worth it from a business perspective...
BTW, talking about business perspective: my overall impression is that the manufacturer puts a lot of focus on using these modules in a midi environment, like plug and play compatibility with BSP, polyphony and so on. From that perspective, I fully understand the current synthbox concept and its limitations, but I really wonder how many potential users would stay away from midi anyway (or buy more dedicated midi gear like A4) and would rather prefer a better cv support, like enhanced cv control, audio rate modulation, display of all cv input signal rows, fully modular voices and so on. Like with a shapeshifter or an ER-301, for example.

DruidTek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DruidTek » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Here's a very cool video of someone who made their own wavetables in Serum out of vocal samples. This is something I haven't tried yet, but the potential is massive!
I read on the 1010music forums that you can add your own waveforms / wavetables. So I used Serum to create my own waves.

I took some of Charlie's backing vocals, processed them through Mutable Instruments Clouds, sampled them and created some waves to load back into the 1010music Synthbox. Synthbox is a 4 note poly module, this can be triggered over MIDI using their DIN to mini TRS cable. This is then processed through MakeNoise Morphagene to add the delay effects.
[video][/video]

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 am

dbeats wrote:
2disbetter wrote:One thing I think that should be mentioned is that the synthbox works intuitively with mpe control either via cv (5 inputs per voice) or via midi through a proprietary TRS to DIN cable. You can map the inputs to essentially anything
Could you please explain what you mean by mpe control? From my understanding synthbox receives standard midi note, pitch, velo and mod wheel all on one single midi channel, and there are no further expression parameters available through midi. ext1-3 in particular are only available as cv ins, right?

But it works quite nicely "plug and play" with a midi source like the Keystep, indeed, offering 4x polyphony.
Yes I believe you are correct, I was mainly talking about MPE via CV. However, you could use a mixture of the two, and that would only require one cv in per voice. Admitedly I haven't experimented with MIDI too much on it as my MPE controller doesn't do DIN MIDI. I also find the FH-1 just a far more powerful way of utlilizing all the things those controllers offer.

2d

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 am

DruidTek wrote:Here's a very cool video of someone who made their own wavetables in Serum out of vocal samples. This is something I haven't tried yet, but the potential is massive!
Yep lots of potential. Wavetable editing being built into the synthbox, would really help to up the feature list. With the touchscreen it is especially well equipped to have a feature like that.

In the sea of wavetable oscillators, being able to create/edit your wavetables on the module would be a huge distinction.

That said, I personally need to see significant toolbox improvements first. :tu:

2d

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 pm

just started playing with this firmware, it's prettttty fun.

neat additions would be CV control of Rate for LFOs, and an internal note hocking setting.

but. sounds pretty damn good.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:22 am

would love some polyphonic demos, any chance of bumping the polyphony to 8 ? would be cool if you could make layers :hyper:

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:41 am

Does anyone know if you can do pitch transpositions with CV? that would be a game changer (otherwise you need 4 precision adders for the CV offset). I made some really neat variations on a piece just by flipping the transposition encoder in time with the end of a measure. This is + the ER101 are so perfect for polyphony, and it would be amazing to just use a simple sequencer or random source to provide endless modulation on a polyphonic theme.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Post by Mndscrpt » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi! Any new Impressions on this firmware?
How does it compare to e352/370? :mrgreen:

Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Re: 1010 music synthbox

Post by Mndscrpt » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Soo... :despair:

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by guigui » Mon May 18, 2020 9:13 am

Mndscrpt wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm
Hi! Any new Impressions on this firmware?
How does it compare to e352/370? :mrgreen:
I'll casually bump this question to see what happens.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:15 pm

Not sure why this isn't getting more attention. I'm sequencing it with a single trs-cable going from the Five12 Vector sequencer directly into the Bitbox, and it works beautifully. Polyphony in eurorack in a box! And it sounds rather lovely. Lots of great internal modulation and wavetables. Really surprised at how good it sounds seeing as it's getting so little attention. I'll post some sound demos soon.

Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Post by Mndscrpt » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:58 am

I would buy a synthbox capable module if it was able to turn off the internal vca to route all outputs to external vcf/vcas.

DruidTek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DruidTek » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:55 pm

Mndscrpt wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:58 am
I would buy a synthbox capable module if it was able to turn off the internal vca to route all outputs to external vcf/vcas.
The main advantage of this module is that everything is self contained so you don't need to have 8 additional filters and VCA's, etc.
You can deactivate the filters and send each voice out of its own mono output if you want, though.

I'm also surprised that this module doesn't get more love. It's basically a 4 voice Virus in 28HP:
2 x wavetable OSC's + sub OSC, Dual Filters, Envelopes and LFO's per voice plus built in FX, etc

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:11 pm

This is the best way to use the Bitbox imho, as a Synthbox. Assuming you have an alternate sampler.
It's great if you have serum as well, since you can use it's wavetables directly or create them.

*Serum's wavetables are way better than the stock ones included with the synthbox imho.

Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Post by Mndscrpt » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:00 am

DruidTek wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:55 pm
The main advantage of this module is that everything is self contained so you don't need to have 8 additional filters and VCA's, etc.
You can deactivate the filters and send each voice out of its own mono output if you want, though.
yea, i see this usage but i already own doepfer quad sem vcf, tangle quartet, quadrax, klavis quadigy and i like the sound and workflow with all of them seperated. i also prefer vcas after vcfs.
That's why i whished there was a pure vco mode.

Edit: whoa, my #100 post! :party:

Grandma's trousers
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grandma's trousers » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:12 am

Anyone have this and love it? Hate it? Have an update they would like to share?

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:21 pm

Doh! I had NO idea synthbox had two wavetable voices. Damn! My Bitbox v2 has to stay as a BItbox—it's just too good at that. My fxbox, now that's a candidate for a switcheroo. But of course, I'd like to have all three on-tap.

Does synthbox firmware run okay on Bitbox v1s? I mean, obviously, synthbox runs on v1, but does synthbox "gain" anything by running on a v2 Bitbox?

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:27 pm

Return to “Eurorack Modules”