Should I replace a group of modules with an Atlantis?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Should I replace a group of modules with an Atlantis?

Post by dysonant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am

I have got a performance case that I am trying to make a bit more ergonomically sound. There is a group of modules that I use for an analog voice and like them very much, but ergonomically I am not super happy. Also, the ADSRVCA is not a module whose envelope I am very happy with. So I was going to replace that module, but then I got thinking, what if I replaced the whole group with an Atlantis.

Anyway, curious what you all think? Here is the group of modules I want to replace in the top row with the Atlantis in the bottom:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/514070

For reference, here is the whole case as is now.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/280031

wavejumperr
Common Wiggler

Post by wavejumperr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am

if it's ergonomics you want, i'd say you should go with the Atlantis. i love mine, and it's very easy to make usable sounds with it, with minimal patching.

however, i imagine it would sound very different from your current set of modules, so keep that in mind.
wigglers are a modular synth's way of making another modular synth

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:39 am

Tough one, i'm EU or i might offer to buy one of those spectrum oscillators from you tho xD

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 pm

wavejumperr wrote:if it's ergonomics you want, i'd say you should go with the Atlantis. i love mine, and it's very easy to make usable sounds with it, with minimal patching.

however, i imagine it would sound very different from your current set of modules, so keep that in mind.
I'd actually keep the Three Sisters in the rack and replace the Polivoks filter. Though, you are correct the sound would be quite different. I do really like the sound of the Atlantis. However, ergonomic play a huge role in this decision, so thanks for the input.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm

modulating its filter feels quite limited in comparison to a stand-alone filter, so if you're a fan of filter modulation (who isnt?) it can be a bit disappointing. other than that i really like its sound.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:07 pm

How does modulating it feel limited? Genuinely curious.

Ceri JC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ceri JC » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Space down the side of the Atlantis for a passive mult there. Anyone with an Atlantis care to comment whether that'd be worth doing in terms of additional self-modulation of the Atlantis? Or would the OP be better off with a 2HP filter down the side?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:17 pm

^ Yeah that 2HP space left may go towards a dual attenuverter or potentially another envelope. I am going to hold of deciding what should be there. The full system will still have another filter, so I am not sure I will put one in that extra space.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm

bemushroomed wrote:modulating its filter feels quite limited in comparison to a stand-alone filter, so if you're a fan of filter modulation (who isnt?) it can be a bit disappointing. other than that i really like its sound.
I am also genuinely curious what you mean by limited. At audio rates or from the ADSR, MOD source or what?

ratchet
Common Wiggler

Post by ratchet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:36 pm

I've got all of those except the Three Sisters. Love them all. Curious to know why you're not happy with the ADSRVCA envelope? I like it so much I bought another one.

Like others have said if ergonomics are the driver you won't be disappointed with the Atlantis. It is a fantastic sounding and versatile self contained synth module. It is, however, also a different sound and has a different response to the Spectrums and the ADSRVCA

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:14 pm

joskery wrote:How does modulating it feel limited? Genuinely curious.
1 input to modulate it is not limited? I honestly always end up modulating it manually to get something cool out of it. Maybe i'm just doing it wrong ;) the module does not even have a manual afaik..

Genuinely curious what you do to get nice filter modulations with it..

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm

keep the three sisters tho'. i agree about eh limited filter modulation relative to something like the three sisters. run it wide open and into other filters is an option. you can never have enough filters imo.

Atlantis is a beauty of module for sure.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:03 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
joskery wrote:How does modulating it feel limited? Genuinely curious.
1 input to modulate it is not limited? I honestly always end up modulating it manually to get something cool out of it. Maybe i'm just doing it wrong ;) the module does not even have a manual afaik..

Genuinely curious what you do to get nice filter modulations with it..
Ahh, I see now, but You can mix modulation sources before adding them to that single input. I am also sure I'l discover more ways as I use it.

BTW, I found this pretty awesome illustrated manual for it if you're interested https://www.dropbox.com/s/df5hhi0ea0fkh ... l.pdf?dl=0

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:06 pm

ratchet wrote:I've got all of those except the Three Sisters. Love them all. Curious to know why you're not happy with the ADSRVCA envelope? I like it so much I bought another one.
There is something about the response that is bugging me. I find it really hard to get a quick snappy response from it. Other than that I think it is absolutely awesome. The extra + and - ENV outs are amazing.
Like others have said if ergonomics are the driver you won't be disappointed with the Atlantis. It is a fantastic sounding and versatile self contained synth module. It is, however, also a different sound and has a different response to the Spectrums and the ADSRVCA
I actually probably won't get rid of the Spectrums, I'll most likely move them to another case. I really do like them a lot.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 pm

rean1mator wrote:keep the three sisters tho'. i agree about eh limited filter modulation relative to something like the three sisters. run it wide open and into other filters is an option. you can never have enough filters imo.

Atlantis is a beauty of module for sure.
The Three Sisters will go with me to my grave. In fact, it will actually stay in that same case, but I'll be replacing the IME Polivoks.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 am

Ahh, back online. Anyway, if anyone was interested, I did decide to get the Atlantis and I am really happy so far.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30 am

AtlantisES.

(Fixed that for ya.)
Freedom is wasted on the Free

cocco88
Common Wiggler

Post by cocco88 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 pm

my advice is
spectrum + mangrove + three sisters + pip slope x 2 + dplpg + 2hp vca
UI/UX/Sound designer

eurorack + TenoriOn + Omnichord + giant church organ + old rusty piano

current
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/361810

selling / trading
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/389166

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 pm

cocco88 wrote:my advice is
spectrum + mangrove + three sisters + pip slope x 2 + dplpg + 2hp vca
Thanks, but not really applicable. I was looking to update a small section of my performance case. The above photo was only that small section. Here is the whole thing https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/280031

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:20 am

Atlantis reminds me too much of fixed-path synthesizers, but maybe I don't know enough about how it works.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 am

cptnal wrote:Atlantis reminds me too much of fixed-path synthesizers, but maybe I don't know enough about how it works.
It is a semi-modular, so yeah, but it has a good amount of patch points to bring it into lots of new areas. This is actually the point, I wanted something in my case that I could quickly modify without having to repatch much which seems really suited to performance. My thought was it offered the best of both worlds. Of course, that remains to be seen as I use it more I will learn if my ideas stand up in practice.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:25 pm

The Atlantis is a very cool and powerful synth voice. However, 2 spectrums is a lot of VCO firepower. if you have a dispatcher module (which assigns notes played as CV to different targets according to different algorithms) you could play duo phonic stuff..

Return to “Eurorack Modules”