Squarp Instruments Hermod Modular Brain

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:51 am

SinkWhole wrote:Bummed to read about the issues..::Had planned on grabbing Hermod among my first modules. Hopefully more news on the next update soon...
Dont be too discouraged they just released a firmware update and by the looks of it they do it quite frequently and there is a lot of new features I'm considering getting a second one I love my Hermod

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:54 am

hermodOS V1.10

New features

● AUTOLOAD: now Hermod loads at startup the last saved or loaded projet (hold STEP at startup to direclty load a new project).
● New parameter GATE RETRIG is added in the effect MIDI. If enable, the track will re-trigger the gate output each time a new note is overlapping an other note, in order to break the glide/legato. In other words, when a new note is sent to the CV output, the GATE output will always be triggered.
● Hard Rec: in STEP mode, hold Y and press REC to enable a "hard rec" recording (= no overdub). Previously recorded notes will be overwritten.
● CV inputs: added parameters in SETTINGS > CLOCK > CV TRANSPORT = CV PLAY A/B/C/D. A continuous high level on a CV input will play Hermod, a low level will stop Hermod and reset the player position ("DIN sync" start/stop standard).
● CV inputs: added parameters in SETTINGS > CLOCK > CV TRANSPORT = CV REC A/B/C/D. A continuous high level on a CV input will enable the recording, a low level will disable the recording.
● Project Menu: NEW PROJECT is added at the end of the list.
● LFO: now, the LFO EFFECT range can be set up to 200% in order to get the maximum output voltage of +/-5V.

Bug fixes

● Fixed a bug making gate output always high (because of a stuck notes), when using some USB controllers (eg the Keystep).
● CV IN sync: fixed a bug making Hermod to start with a latency when SETTINGS > CLOCK > CLOCK SOURCE = CV A/B/C/D.
● LFO FX: unsync problem with some rates (eg 1/8) now fixed.
● DELAY FX: DRY/WET=100% now never play the original note.
● Loop Full: fixed a bug making Hermod to play an other sequence before the end of the FULL loop.
● Fixed a bug making the user interface behaving differently (or making the screen not updating new values) when SETTINGS > CLOCK > SOURCE different from INTERNAL.
● modMatrix: CC11 was missing
● modMatrix: now you can validate a parameter (eg midi:root note) by simply leaving the modmatrix, without clicking the encoder.
● Freeze: Fixed a bug making Hermod to crash when changing sequences (for projects with SETTINGS > CV IN > TRACK X = CV/GATE AB or CD)
● Save As: fixed a bug making Hermod to crash when saving with a long project name.
● New Project: now, every project parameters are reset to initial values after selecting NEW PROJECT.
● Slave mode: fixed a bug making Hermod to play (start) only if songposition was at the very beggining, when slaving Hermod with a DAW.
● Overall stability and timing precision improvements.

From
http://squarp.net/hermodos

:yay:

SinkWhole
Common Wiggler

Post by SinkWhole » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:27 am

Quiet thread following the update....did everyone sell up? Or people generally happy with Hermod in its current state now?

lvankanten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lvankanten » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 am

i’m loving my Hermod now. It’s amazing how the simple feature of loading the last project you were working after a power cycle makes it usable for me now.

‘i’m starting to harness the power of a Euclid>Random>Scale rack and controlling Euclid parameters with external controller.

I’m now wondering though if the 4 parameter limit in the Mod Matrix is an artificial limitation.
Les

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:43 am

lvankanten wrote:i’m loving my Hermod now. It’s amazing how the simple feature of loading the last project you were working after a power cycle makes it usable for me now.
Indeed, and it seems much more stable haven't had a stuck note or freeze up since the update. good job squarp.

jburzy
Common Wiggler

Post by jburzy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 am

seems like they listened to most of the user feedback no? despite saying that they wouldn't add features, many of the feature requests have been implemented. I'm thinking of getting a hermod more seriously now. but I'm curious, what major features were not implemented on the latest update?
FS/FT: Pip slope (US)

glassofwater
Common Wiggler

Post by glassofwater » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:40 am

I'm using the NerdSeq as my main sequencer, but it'd be nice to have this coupled with it for MIDI. I can choose which pattern that plays on the Hermod over CV, right? So I can program a CV for each pattern on the NerdSeq and a corresponding pattern on the Hermod plays? Is it easy?

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:07 pm

jburzy wrote:... but I'm curious, what major features were not implemented on the latest update?
as far as i can see there is no DinSync option as output. This would be useful to sync other devices (also within eurorack).

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Any of you Hermod users found a straight forward way to control/modulate key in scale? I find it a bit cumbersome since it seems the mod input insist on responding to -+5 v making all the keys C to B being spread out over 5 v :hmm:

glassofwater
Common Wiggler

Post by glassofwater » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:26 pm

glassofwater wrote:I'm using the NerdSeq as my main sequencer, but it'd be nice to have this coupled with it for MIDI. I can choose which pattern that plays on the Hermod over CV, right? So I can program a CV for each pattern on the NerdSeq and a corresponding pattern on the Hermod plays? Is it easy?
Does anyone wanna chime in here? ^_^

StateAzure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StateAzure » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:57 pm

glassofwater wrote:
glassofwater wrote:I'm using the NerdSeq as my main sequencer, but it'd be nice to have this coupled with it for MIDI. I can choose which pattern that plays on the Hermod over CV, right? So I can program a CV for each pattern on the NerdSeq and a corresponding pattern on the Hermod plays? Is it easy?
Does anyone wanna chime in here? ^_^
Good question, I'd like to know too!

I have a Hermod. Should get my NerdSeq next week, be great if these two work well together otherwise it might replace my Hermod entirely.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 am

Yes this should be possible via the Mod Matrix. From the manual...

“With the modMatrix, you can control effect parameters using midi CC messages (CC2 to CC119) and CV inputs (A, B, C, D). You can also set up one of the modulation slot to control sequence change... For example, if you use the 0V to +5V range and the parameter SEQ CHANGE, an input between 0V and 0.625V will select the sequence 1, an input between 0.625V and 1.25V will select the sequence 2, ..., an input between 4.375V and 5V will select the sequence 8.“
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

donttouchmyrice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donttouchmyrice » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:28 am

Is it possible to use MIDI IN & MIDI OUT at the same time?

for example: simultaneously hooking up a midicontroller to MIDI IN to control CV/gate channels 1 to 4 for a polyphonic modular patch + sending Midi notes to a Syncussion SY-1M from hermod through MIDI out.
Is this possible? :hail:

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:52 am

yes - every channel can send midi out.

Heyko
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Heyko » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 am

i'm considering getting a hermod, but i already have a doepfer dark time external sequencer. would I be able to connect the dark time to the hermod via the hermod's usb host function?

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:40 am

Hi! Hermod is very good classic-like sequencer with some interestning features. I like it, but it is have one big trouble for me: it gives some digital noise in my mix. When Hermod pluged in one bus with audio-sources (osc's, filters, vca's etc), this sources gives noise too. I noticed that noise is louder, when more LED lights on Hermod: if i activate all steps in seq, all buttons is lighting and noise is more loud. I partially solved the problem and all my control modules such as EG, Seq's (including Hermod), Functions i was plug in one bus, and sound modules in another bus.
But i use Mutable Instruments Streams, and it haves exite insert for activtion of internal envelopes, and same time i use it as LPG/VCA. I activate its from Hermod of course, because it main sequencer. And now, Hermod is connected with sound module and Streams conduct Hermod's noise to my mix...

By the way, I use linear PSU from L-1.

Anyone have same problem? And how you decide it?

nnay13
1-Post Wiggler

Firmware 1.20

Post by nnay13 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:09 pm

A new firmware will be available

hermodOS V1.20

december 6, 2018

New features

● STEP MODE: now you can reset the selected note to C4 (click the encoder, select CLEAR SELECTED NOTE).
● STEP MODE: if no modulation is recorded on a MOD track, the screen displays a dotted line.
● STEP MODE: if your are not in a modulation track and you hold STEP+rotate the encoder, you will change the octave of the selected note.
● MIDI FX: new parameter INPUT MOD. Allows you to select the input CC number, in order to control the modulation track (in previous versions, CC1 was the only possible CC number). Note that you will still be able to use CC1 (modwheel) even if this CC is not selected.
● MIDI FX: new parameter ALLOCATOR. Allows you to select how the voice-stealing works, when the track layout is polyphonic. You can set CYCLIC (when a new the note is received, the next free voice is allocated), POLY (same as in previous versions, works closely as cyclic but if a new note was already allocated on a voice, this voice will keep this new note), FIRST (the first note will always play on the first voice, the second note will always play on the second voice, ... ), RANDOM (voices are randomly allocated).
● TRACK MODE: a small "x" is displayed on the screen, if the track includes events (notes, modulation, gate, pitchbend or aftertouch).
● SETTINGS: new parameter CV IN > QUANTIZE NOTE = ON (GATE). Get and convert inputed CV/GATE note only at the moment when the gate goes low to high.
● SETTINGS: new parameter CV IN > RANGE = -2.5V > 2.5V, in order to scale a -2.5V ... 2.5V input signal to Hermod's standard -5V ... +5V
● SETTINGS: new parameters CLOCK > CV CLOCK OUT = G1+RESET, G2+RESET, ... G8+RESET. When selected, Hermod will output a RESET signal on the CV output (together with the clock on the GATE output), helping your modules to keep the sync when PLAY is pressed.
● PROJECT: for more safety, now you have to press X to load a project or delete a project (in the project list).
● LFO FX: DESTINATION = MOD is now selected by default when you work on a MODULATION track.
● TRACK LAYOUT = 1 VOICE: MODULATION is now selected by default.
● Lowest BPM is now 1 instead of 40

Bug fixes

● Encoder precision improved.
● ABDC inputs precision and calibration improved.
● Monitoring CV/GATE inputs AB or CD (to the CV/GATE outputs) is now only possible when the track is either recording, empty, muted, or if the sequencer is stopped.
● When you enter a menu, the selection cursor is now always on the left.
● TAP TEMPO: the limit is now fixed to 250
● Freeze with DELETE PROJECT empty selection solved.
● STEP MODE: the C10 note is now accessible with the piano roll
● STEP MODE = MOD: changing the GATE length was adding an event MODULATION.
● STEP MODE: advanced mode is now working.
● Hermod freeze at startup (when receiving incoming midi clock) solved
● STUCK GATE fixed (when we change the current track, and that track was assigned to CV/GATE inputs).
● SETTINGS > CV IN > RANGE now works (in previous versions, 0V>5V worked as the -5V>5V parameter).
● STEP mode: fixed a bug that was making difficult to enter a step when this one was already including pitch or aftertouch.
● SCALE FX: changing TRANSPOSE parameter was working when if the effect was muted.
● SCALE FX: CHROMATIC, OCTAVE, MAJ THIRD, FOURTH parameters now works as they should.
● DELAY FX: DRY/WET = 0% was playing the delayed notes, instead of playing only the original note.
● DELAY FX: problem with unsynced delayed notes fixed.
● HARMONIZER FX: the HARMO 4 parameter now works.
● MIDI OUTPUT FX: now it does not send the pitchbend, aftertouch or modulation CC if no changes have been detected.
● LFO FX: when we change the BPM, the LFO effect keeps its sync.
● PROJECT: LOAD is faster. SAVE is more robust. Latency when we enter the LOAD PROJECT list is drastically reduced.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 am

This might be the seq I need. I'm currently using a Varigate 8+, but inputting melodic sequences is tedious. I was going to expand with a Bishop's Miscellany to record more naturally from a keyboard, but I could just get this and have everything in one.

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello folks, does anyone know if the Hermod can act as a MIDI->CV converter for a midi keyboard? As in output live pitch and gate info rather than just record into the sequence?

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm

peaches27 wrote:Hello folks, does anyone know if the Hermod can act as a MIDI->CV converter for a midi keyboard? As in output live pitch and gate info rather than just record into the sequence?
Yes, I use it for that all the time. I've used it as a multi-channel breakout for my OP-Z, but it works perfectly well for a simpler keyboard.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm

I've played around with it connected to a Digitone. You can assign each of the 4 Midi tracks of the Digitone for example to a Hermod track. It works like a charm.

One thing I did notice though is that the midi ports on the model I used seemed a bit flimsy, making me wonder how long they'd hold up.

atimbral
Common Wiggler

Post by atimbral » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm

peaches27 wrote:Hello folks, does anyone know if the Hermod can act as a MIDI->CV converter for a midi keyboard? As in output live pitch and gate info rather than just record into the sequence?
Yes, as others have said. But be aware that some have reported problems with certain keyboards or other MIDI input devices. For example, it doesn't work with my M-Audio Keystation mini 32; also with Joue or Sensel. Works fine with my Novation kbs, and also with an iPad running Gestrument Pro; great fun with that combo!

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:08 am

Ah awesome thanks guys - I ordered one yesterday and then it jumped into my head that the hardware is probably there, so that’s good news!

I’ll be sure to note any kooky behaviour or flimsiness that some have reported.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:30 am

Yes, please do. I was torn between the Hermod and the Polyend Poly as a multi-track midi interface to my rack. Ultimately I went with the Poly because of its unique "first" and "next" functions along with Midi channel per track.

I made the right choice, but I still think the Hermod is amazing. The biggest thing I played with was the modulation and effects. Really, really cool.

cobysharesmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cobysharesmusic » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm really enjoying my Hermod, but there's one thing I'm trying to do and I can't figure it out. I want to send midi from Hermod to the OP-1. According to the manual of both devices, I should be able to plug the OP-1 into the usb host port on the Hermod allowing me to send MIDI to the OP-1. This isn't working though. I must be missing something here. I am pretty sure the OP-1 can receive MIDI over USB, and I'm pretty sure Hermod can send MIDI over USB so I'm not sure what the hang up is :\
cobysharesmusic.bandcamp.com
I enjoy making weird tunes

Return to “Eurorack Modules”