Squarp Instruments Hermod Modular Brain

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:36 am

New firmware 1.3
https://squarp.net/hermodos
New features

● REC WAIT/LOOPER : press X+REC (only if Hermod is not slaved)
- if Hermod is stopped, it will wait for you to play a note before starting to play and record (punch in).
- if Hermod is already playing, it will wait for the next bar to restart the player and enable the recording.
- pressing REC again will end the recording and will set the track length to the recording time, like a looper (from 1 bar to 16 bar).
- tip: pressing X+Y+REC will enable the looper with hard recording.
● MULTITRACK RECORDING: press STEP+REC to enable multitrack recording (omni mode). Up to 8 routed tracks (via midi in, usb in, cv/gate in, ...) can be recorded at the same time.
● RESTART: press SEQ+PLAY to restart (re-sync) all tracks.
● New SETTINGS > CLOCK > CV CLOCK OUT (G1+RUN, G2+RUN, G3+RUN...). If set, the CV voice will output 5V if Hermod is playing and 0V if Hermod is stopped.
● New SETTINGS > CLOCK > CLOCK SOURCE (TRANSP OFF). If set, the clock will be internal but Hermod will not send transport midi messages (CLOCK, START, STOP, ...) to the midi/usb host/usb device outputs.
● New SETTINGS > MIDI IN > PROG CHANGE (OFF, ALL, 1, 2, 3, ...16). Now you can select the channel of Program Change midi message (in order to switch between sequences).
● New LFO RATE values, to make it slower : 6/1, 8/1, 16/1, 32/1, 64/1, 128/1.
● FX SCALE : TRANSPOSE range increased (-36...36 instead of -12...+12).
● Autoload template project : if you name a project as "_", it will always be loaded at startup, even if you saved or loaded an other project more recently, making it easier to have a template project.

Bug fixes

● Freeze when changing sequences in slave mode, and receiving midi notes.
● Freeze when generating patterns with the randomizer.
● Improved delay when recording notes via the midi input.
● When changing sequences (with PLAY+SEQ), sometimes, tracks were not reset to their beginning.
● When assigning an effect parameter (modMatrix) to CVA, it was not possible to change the value in the effect view.
● FX CHANCE was not playing the first note (if affected by sync chance).
● When SETTINGS > CV IN > TRACK X = CV/GATE AB/CD, this input CV value was used to define the mid-value of the LFO effect (now you have to use only SETTINGS > CV IN > TRACK X = MOD A/B/C/D).
● Now the LFO will not run when Hermod is stopped.
● After loading a project, sometimes, MOD tracks were displayed as NOTE tracks on the screen.
● Held note when using the FX MIDI OUTPUT and overlapping the same note.
● FX MIDI : now if INPUT MOD is not set to CC1, CC1 can't control the modulation anymore.
● HARD REC was not usable when the current track was set to MOD.
● CV inputs (ABCD) accuracy greatly improved.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 am

It is really encouraging that they continue to add new features to Hermod even if they said they were not going to right after it was released. Might have to consider picking this up again as they have added many features I requested the first time around. 8-)

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:47 pm

excellent news - just updated the firmware.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 am

Does the Hermod load midi files like the Pyramid?
WTB: EML 101

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Sat May 18, 2019 5:51 am

Does anyone use the OP-Z though the Hermod via USB? Can i get 8 tracks output over the hermods 8 cv and gate outs?

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Wed May 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Another couple questions here...

Could a track be setup to record MIDI (directly from a Roland TD-drum brain) and then output Triggers and Velocity for 7 specific notes only (the ones mapped to drum sounds) on Hermod's Gate/CV output combos? Additionally can it record a CC input onto the same track and output to the last CV output (this is CC#4 foot control from the hi-hat pedal)?

tomnicholson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tomnicholson » Wed May 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Hek wrote:Does anyone use the OP-Z though the Hermod via USB? Can i get 8 tracks output over the hermods 8 cv and gate outs?
I don't have an OP-Z, but if the 8 tracks are on different MIDI channels then I dn't see why it wouldn't work. I have the Keystep connected to Hermod via USB and route 8 MIDI channels to the 8 CV/gate outputs. I do it one MIDI channel at a time but I imagine Hermod can handle simultaneous MIDI channels ...

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:31 am

Been considering picking one of these up. Loved Pyramid, so wondering if this could be for me. How is the bug situation though? Still a lot of people experiencing hickups or does it work well now? :)

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:23 am

Daisuk wrote:Been considering picking one of these up. Loved Pyramid, so wondering if this could be for me. How is the bug situation though? Still a lot of people experiencing hickups or does it work well now? :)
It's still buggy unfortunately - but useable. I'm hoping the following is fixed in the next update...

— Changing Sequences introduces a small delay - this isn't noticeable if Hermod is clocking the system as the entire clock is delayed, but if it's slaved via Midi then every Sequence change throws the Hermod out more and more.

— Sync'd LFOs are not Sync'd and slowly drift away from the main clock.

— Weird UI behaviour / lag / strange refreshing

And there are improvements that could be made but I doubt Squarp will address them...

— No control over the CV going into the Hermod and on to the Mod Matrix - any attenuation / attenuvertion needs to be done externally (unlike say Pamela's New Workout)

— The button lights are hard to see in daylight so when muting a Track or Effect it's hard to visually see it. Unlike the Pyramid, the on screen UI does not 'grey out'.

— More Effects - the effects chain is super powerful but there's room for so much more control over the effects and addition of new effects.

I'm really surprised by Squarp's statement of not adding any new features when compared with how much the Pyramid evolved & improved over time.

Despite all this, it's an essential module in my set up and the term 'modular brain' is a perfect statement of what it's best at.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:41 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Been considering picking one of these up. Loved Pyramid, so wondering if this could be for me. How is the bug situation though? Still a lot of people experiencing hickups or does it work well now? :)
It's still buggy unfortunately - but useable. I'm hoping the following is fixed in the next update...

— Changing Sequences introduces a small delay - this isn't noticeable if Hermod is clocking the system as the entire clock is delayed, but if it's slaved via Midi then every Sequence change throws the Hermod out more and more.

— Sync'd LFOs are not Sync'd and slowly drift away from the main clock.

— Weird UI behaviour / lag / strange refreshing

And there are improvements that could be made but I doubt Squarp will address them...

— No control over the CV going into the Hermod and on to the Mod Matrix - any attenuation / attenuvertion needs to be done externally (unlike say Pamela's New Workout)

— The button lights are hard to see in daylight so when muting a Track or Effect it's hard to visually see it. Unlike the Pyramid, the on screen UI does not 'grey out'.

— More Effects - the effects chain is super powerful but there's room for so much more control over the effects and addition of new effects.

I'm really surprised by Squarp's statement of not adding any new features when compared with how much the Pyramid evolved & improved over time.

Despite all this, it's an essential module in my set up and the term 'modular brain' is a perfect statement of what it's best at.
Cheers! I actually got one a week back. I quite like it so far, but I echo a lot of your sentiments (esp learning the hard way about the LFO sync issue). I also wish there were more effects, but I have to say I love the ones already in there (although I'm not 100% sure how to use the harmonize effect - by setting up a multi voice track?).

I've also noticed a short input lag when pressing the pads, it takes a bit of time for the module to realize you're pressing a pad, so sometimes instead of scrolling for notes, I scroll pages on the sequencer.

Overall though, I love the effects and the sequencer mode. A nice way to create variations in a patch. I also dig that it's so easy to just hook up a MIDI keyboard and record a sequence into it.

The manual could definitely elaborate a bit more on quite a few features though. :lol:

azrrik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by azrrik » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 am

Another update!

https://squarp.net/hermodos

hermodOS V1.4
august 27, 2019

New features

● enable the track randomizer triggered with the CV input D: setting CLOCK IN+OUT > CV TRANSPORT = D RAND TR1 .. TR8
● while being in SEQ mode, press the encoder and select DUPLICATE TO, then select a new sequence with the 8 pads: this sequence will be launched in sync, and the previous sequence will be duplicated to this new sequence, enabling you to not break your workflow.
● new settings CLOCK IN+OUT > CV CLOCK OUT = G+RESET P (send a reset pulse after a PLAY) and G+RESET S (send a reset pulse after a STOP)
● while being on a MOD track (STEP mode), press the encoder and select RESET SELECTED MOD to reset the modulation value to 63 and update the CV output to 0V.
Bug fixes

● USB host now compatible with new devices! Including Akai MPK mini MK2, Teenage OP-Z, Arturia Microfreak, Sensel Morph.
● when INPUT MOD different from CC1, the modulation was not sent to the CV outputs
● LFO FX was drifting
● chaining sequencing (when Hermod was slaved) was inducing synchronization problems
● sequence mode LOOP=FULL is now updated after a change on a track length
● sometimes, the SCALE FX parameter SCALE was not saved
● CV clock output now observing a 50% duty cycle (high state time = low state time) to improve clocking compatibility
● sometimes, calibration procedure was not saved
● the MIDI FX parameter ROOT NOTE does not detune the CV outputs anymore (when different from 60)
● midi aftertouch was inverted (now going from -5V to +5V)
● when Hermod is slaved by an input, it does not send the clock anymore on the corresponding output (avoiding midi loops)
● real time recording with CV inputs ABCD improved when Hermod is slaved
● encoder precision improved
● overall stability and performances improved

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 am

azrrik wrote:Another update!

● enable the track randomizer triggered with the CV input D: setting CLOCK IN+OUT > CV TRANSPORT = D RAND TR1 .. TR8
very cool.

Hermod is such an excellent MIDI tool and CV/gate effects tool I almost feel that I've criticized it as a sequencer.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Been trying to find a definitive answer on this but haven't come across it yet, however since Hermod has 8 tracks and also has a MIDI output, can you setup a track that only outputs to MIDI? I'd like to be able to configure it so that I'm using 5-6 of the tracks for CV which would allow me to control a few synths via MIDI from the remaining 2-3 tracks.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Midi out on each track is accessed via the "Effects" section for the specific track you have selected. The last effect block in the chain is "midi out" which you can delete to prevent midi being sent from that track output.

azrrik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by azrrik » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 am

gringostar wrote:Been trying to find a definitive answer on this but haven't come across it yet, however since Hermod has 8 tracks and also has a MIDI output, can you setup a track that only outputs to MIDI? I'd like to be able to configure it so that I'm using 5-6 of the tracks for CV which would allow me to control a few synths via MIDI from the remaining 2-3 tracks.
You can definitely do this. Since MIDI out is an effect you add to a track, those tracks will output both CV and MIDI. See "Output" here for details:

https://squarp.net/hermod_effect

carlotter
Common Wiggler

Post by carlotter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:09 am

Asked this question a while back on the Squarp forum but didn't get an answer: is it possible to modulate a track length (or reset) via CV?

I love doing this on René (either via XMOD for reset or via touch panels for length) and it would be great to do this with Hermod.

azrrik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by azrrik » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:42 am

carlotter wrote:Asked this question a while back on the Squarp forum but didn't get an answer: is it possible to modulate a track length (or reset) via CV?

I love doing this on René (either via XMOD for reset or via touch panels for length) and it would be great to do this with Hermod.
I don't think you can control the track length via CV. You can reset the clock via CV, but that will affect all 8 tracks. You can achieve something similar with the Euclid effect + modulating the step and fills parameters.

carlotter
Common Wiggler

Post by carlotter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:47 am

azrrik wrote:
carlotter wrote:Asked this question a while back on the Squarp forum but didn't get an answer: is it possible to modulate a track length (or reset) via CV?

I don't think you can control the track length via CV. You can reset the clock via CV, but that will affect all 8 tracks. You can achieve something similar with the Euclid effect + modulating the step and fills parameters.
Thanks, not quite the same effect but a good idea to get a similar kind of variation!

VibratingMotorGate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VibratingMotorGate » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:38 am

When you're editing notes, can you see the notes of other tracks in the same screen space? I like having a sort of meta-view like I can get in Pro Tools or other DAWs.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:44 am

VibratingMotorGate wrote:When you're editing notes, can you see the notes of other tracks in the same screen space? I like having a sort of meta-view like I can get in Pro Tools or other DAWs.
Nope. It's difficult enough to see the notes on the track your editing, to be fair. :lol:

I should add that I really like Hermod. It's got an excellent feature set. The screen could definitely be bigger though.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Daisuk wrote:I'm not 100% sure how to use the harmonize effect - by setting up a multi voice track?
Yes, you could use it on a track that is set to Polyphonic - then place that effect and it will share the notes across the other polyphonic tracks.

Or, place a root note on a mono track, add the Harmonize effect and place an Arpeggiator effect after it.

:party:

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:25 pm

VibratingMotorGate wrote:When you're editing notes, can you see the notes of other tracks in the same screen space? I like having a sort of meta-view like I can get in Pro Tools or other DAWs.
No, it definitely isn't Pro Tools :oops:

I use the screen more as a reference as to where notes are and the general flow of notes. If I need to place / see what note is what then there are a few ways to do that and the note is displayed in the top right of the screen.

I think it was a brave move by Squarp to use such a small screen to provide only and overview and not a detailed note editor. It's more akin to what you might find in other analog sequencers like Metropolis, you can glance and get a sense of the pattern and then using your ears beyond that.

I personally find Hermod much more than the note editor / sequencer - the effects, midi in & out, s&h quantizing of incoming cv, the modulation abilities and song sequencer are all really good on it.

I'm also really glad they're fixing all the quirks. I'm constantly sending them weird bugs and lo & behold, on the next release these things are fixed.

It's a shame they've committed to no new major features though. Hermod OS has such potential but I'm guessing the module isn't a big seller so they've moved on to another upcoming project. :hmm:

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi,

is it possible to use a Euro format micro keyboard like the Doepfer A-173-1 to play/record note sequences into Hermod? So you dont need to connect an external keyboard :hmm:

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm

I haven't used it this way, but the manual says you can record incoming CV through the A-D inputs.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Hermod users - legato-only pitch slides are a big part of my sound and I’m trying to figure out if the hermod can do them. I know it can do constant portamento but I’m trying to see if it can do portamento only when two notes overlap. Any workarounds?
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Return to “Eurorack Modules”