Squarp Instruments Hermod Modular Brain

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:14 pm

How would you connect an iPad to send sequences to the Hermod?

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 pm

djd_oz wrote:How would you connect an iPad to send sequences to the Hermod?
Lightning to MIDI adapter?

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm thinking of the below, will it work?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Lightening-In ... 9757&psc=1

or Lightning to USB Camera Connector and then USB Type A to Type B into Hermod's USB device port.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:29 pm

I don't know if this isn't a clean enough solution for you, but:

atimbral
Common Wiggler

Post by atimbral » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:47 pm

mrhooks wrote:I don't know if this isn't a clean enough solution for you, but:

I use this version of the Mio along with the camera adaptor. I found I really needed the USB power to keep the iPad charged while in use.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:45 am

BTW, has anyone experiencing the knob/encoder being unresponsive? See video below.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:51 pm

atimbral wrote:I found I really needed the USB power to keep the iPad charged while in use.
Would this help?

aphex2000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aphex2000 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:24 am

new update has been released - i'm really excited about transposing using midi!

---

hermodOS V1.42
october 29, 2019

New features

● New settings: MIDI IN > TRACK x = ... ROOT CH01 ... ROOT CH16 (set the track's ROOT NOTE parameter of the MIDI effect, with an incoming midi note from C2 to C8).
● New settings: MIDI IN > TRACK x = ... TRSP CH01 ... TRSP CH16 (set the track's TRANSPOSE parameter of the SCALE effect, with an incoming midi note from C2 to C8)).
● New settings: CLOCK IN+OUT > CLOCK SOURCE = MID NO CLOCK (Hermod slaved by midi in, do not retransmit clock messages to midi out), HOS NO CLOCK (Hermod slaved by host in, do not retransmit clock messages to host out), DEV NO CLOCK (Hermod slaved by device in, do not retransmit clock messages to device out).
Bug fixes

● Encoder had to be moved to enable click selection.
● modMatrix: a voltage of 5V was forcing the effect parameter to its minimum.
● Code optimization.

yayellou
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yayellou » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:01 am

djd_oz wrote:BTW, has anyone experiencing the knob/encoder being unresponsive? See video below.
Oh yes, me too... this encoder will make me crazy :'(

peachesandbacon
Learning to Wiggle

Basic Scale Quantizing

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:51 am

Hi there,
New to the Hermod, I'm trying to get it to simply do a scale quantise on a unquantised cv voltage coming into CV input A and output a quantized voltage on CV output 1.

Can someone quickly describe how to do this?

Does it actually work as a basic scale quantizer? or only when I'm using the sequencer?

I was hoping it would replace my quantiser module as well as doing all the other things it does, but for some reason setting up this basic function is eluding me.

I have track 1 set up as a mod track
Can someone let me know the steps to get this working?

Thank you so much.

aphex2000
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Basic Scale Quantizing

Post by aphex2000 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:22 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:Hi there,
New to the Hermod, I'm trying to get it to simply do a scale quantise on a unquantised cv voltage coming into CV input A and output a quantized voltage on CV output 1.

1V/OCT into CV A
GATE into CV B (don't think you can skip the gate)

Set Track 1 to Note

TRACK - SETTINGS (Y): CV IN: TRACK 1 => CV/GATE AB

Add a Scale midi effect on Track 1

that should do the trick

peachesandbacon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm

aphex2000 wrote:

1V/OCT into CV A

Set Track 1 to Note

that should do the trick
Thanks, I’ve set up the gate as well, and when the TRACK is set to MOD, I can hear the gate. But the scale effect doesn’t seem do anything. Does the hermod need to be playing for this to work? I was hoping I could just pass cv through like a regular scale quantiser.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 am

To those with encoder issues, my Hermod experienced the same thing. Squarp were super responsive, arranged collection, repair (actually they replaced) and return. All in it took around 7 days. Incredible considering it went from West Coast USA to France and back.

I’m wondering if they had production issues as this new one is WAY better.

Contact their support and try making music without it for a week :omg:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:52 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
aphex2000 wrote:

1V/OCT into CV A

Set Track 1 to Note

that should do the trick
Thanks, I’ve set up the gate as well, and when the TRACK is set to MOD, I can hear the gate. But the scale effect doesn’t seem do anything. Does the hermod need to be playing for this to work? I was hoping I could just pass cv through like a regular scale quantiser.
Set the track to Note, not Mod.

Also in settings set CV/GATE AB to GATE(ON) this will sample the note on the gate and is more accurate.

Yes, the sequencer needs to be playing.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

MABHI
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MABHI » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:33 am

Hi everyone !

I'm planning to get a Hermod but as I dived into researches of informations and feedbacks about the module I noticed that there was a lot of negative feedbacks about bugs people have faced while using it. I also noticed that a lot of owner were selling it in the recent days an sometimes a very attractive price.
I also read that Squarp are very reactive to complains... So I wanted to know if it was worthing to get one at risk to have a defective unit ?

Thanks !

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:18 am

I've met a few people who like it for sequencing. I don't really, but as a MIDI to CV converter plus effects it's really useful. I use it with the Polyend Seq, and it's an extraordinary amount of fun. The few bug issues I encountered have all been fixed in firmware updates. I purchased mine a year ago, and there have been 5 firmware updates since then.

MABHI
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MABHI » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 am

ckwjr wrote:I've met a few people who like it for sequencing. I don't really, but as a MIDI to CV converter plus effects it's really useful. I use it with the Polyend Seq, and it's an extraordinary amount of fun. The few bug issues I encountered have all been fixed in firmware updates. I purchased mine a year ago, and there have been 5 firmware updates since then.
Did the bugs blocked your use of the module or was it minor bugs on few functionalities ? How fast the bug issues you encountered were solved ?

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 am

for me they were minor, and were all fixed within a few updates. You can go to Squarp's Hermod OS page to see their update timeline. https://squarp.net/hermodos

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Quick question: I keep seeing it mentioned that you can make chords with Hermod and am just wondering, is there a way to use say tracks 1-5 to form a big extended chord (using five oscillator modules) and control it’s inversion, spacing, transposing, etc using the midi FX? Or do chords not work this way in Hermod? :hmm:

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 pm

No it doesn't really work that way. For example an incoming root note can be split and sent to multiple CV outs each at a specified interval from the root note via the Harmonizer effect. It has none of the sophistication of say the Instruo Harmonaig.

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:31 pm

Right on. Thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty close to what I was thinking, but yeah, if it can’t have the tracks linked to quickly do inversions etc, might be better to stick to my Harmonaig plan.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Re: Squarp Instruments Hermod Modular Brain

Post by xcc » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:26 pm

I’m looking at this for the obvious uses, and I like what I’ve seen in its live recording capabilities. I’m wondering how well it handles percussion sequencing. Anyone using it for that? Examples would be especially welcome. I’m hoping to find one sequencer to handle pretty much everything.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 am

xcc wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:26 pm
I’m looking at this for the obvious uses, and I like what I’ve seen in its live recording capabilities. I’m wondering how well it handles percussion sequencing. Anyone using it for that? Examples would be especially welcome. I’m hoping to find one sequencer to handle pretty much everything.
It handles percussion sequencing just fine and that is how I was using it. Since the implementation of “record all tracks” at once command and “overwrite while recording” it really made a huge difference in functionality for my use case. I was using a drumkat midi controller to send midi notes in and then in turn record what I was playing and send those triggers out to my drum modules. Where it really gets interesting is with the midi effects you can add on each track to create random variations in what you played in.

Shameless plug but I am actually selling my Hermod as I have decided to go another direction if you are looking to pick one up. :sb:

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:39 pm

bc3 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 am
xcc wrote:
It handles percussion sequencing just fine and that is how I was using it. Since the implementation of “record all tracks” at once command and “overwrite while recording” it really made a huge difference in functionality for my use case. I was using a drumkat midi controller to send midi notes in and then in turn record what I was playing and send those triggers out to my drum modules. Where it really gets interesting is with the midi effects you can add on each track to create random variations in what you played in.

Shameless plug but I am actually selling my Hermod as I have decided to go another direction if you are looking to pick one up. :sb:
Thanks for the reply. Mind if ask what direction you went? PM with your price if you like. Not sure about this module yet, but I'm interested.

Anyone have any more good examples of it in action? Youtube has dried up for me on this thing.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:14 am

xcc wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:39 pm
bc3 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 am
xcc wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Mind if ask what direction you went? PM with your price if you like. Not sure about this module yet, but I'm interested.

Anyone have any more good examples of it in action? Youtube has dried up for me on this thing.
Check on Reverb as it is up for sale there (I’m located in Richmond, VA.)
Would like to have kept it but decided to go with the Elektron sequencer workflow using the Hexinverter Midi Brain for trigger conversion. I will miss those midi effects though!!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”