quad operator bank by humble audio

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Cortega wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Cortega wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Having said that - the module is excellent. There is such a wide range of pleasing sounds in this thing, and just playing around with the various ratios is such a joy. :mrgreen:
would love to hear some Audio from you.
I'd be happy to make a sort of demo of it, but just beware that I probably appreciate sounds from it that hard-core fm enthusiasts wouldn't necessarily appreciate. I don't really know much about fm synthesis beyond the basics. :razz:
i am not a hardcore fm enthusiast, i am a Sound enthusiast, i wrote to you because i liked every single Audio snippet you posted on Muffs.
Oh, thanks! That's mighty kind of you. I'll record something tomorrow. :)

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 am

OHEXOH wrote:Re: VCA's not fully closing - hasn't been addressed.
Hi folks,

Sorry I have not been able to find the time to address this issue yet. I have been more focused on some bugs that were brought to my attention. However, I have now found the time to address those and intend to work on addressing the leaky VCAs problem in a firmware update soon. Stay tuned.

Could you perhaps give me a sense of the voltage level that your modulation sources are closing at? I think I basically need to pick a small positive voltage threshold below which to explicitly set the gain to true 0 in the firmware.

Thanks for your patience,
Will
Last edited by bigwill on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:53 am

Daisuk wrote:Ok, note to self - the Algo doesn't save the ratio settings, but only the mod matrix settings, which is a bit of a bummer, but oh well, got to learn the hard way when not reading the manual properly. :lol: Is it not possible to have the Algo save the ratio settings as well? Would make it a lot more useful, in my opinion.
We hear you on this, but we had to limit the functionality to the modulation matrix due to the limited CPU capacity of the device. Blending between full sets of parameters would have required double or more CPU capacity than we have whereas blending just the modulation parameters is considerably less CPU intensive. Perhaps we can account for this in future products.

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Perfect Circuit just said Quad Operator is one of the best oscillators of 2019!

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/b ... ators-2019

“Humble Audio's Quad Operator is a four-operator FM engine in a single Eurorack module. FM is a truly incredible synthesis paradigm—it uses networks of oscillators frequency modulating one another to create tremendously complex timbres ranging from brass and electric pianos to continuously evolving textures. And while the tonal palette of FM is quite broad, it has a bit of a poor reputation—largely because the original FM synths (Yamaha's DX series) provided a particularly minimal interface for controlling a huge number of parameters...and as such, were very difficult to use to their full potential.

Quad Operator aims to address this difficulty by providing a dedicated hands-on control for all of its parameters. It does this by effectively dispensing of the traditional FM concept of an algorithm (a fixed FM path between multiple oscillators) and replacing it with an FM routing matrix, allowing easy creation arbitrary algorithms. And by providing CV inputs for the gain of each of the four operators, dynamic changes to the sound can be source from any modulation source in your system.

Quad Operator also provides CV inputs for each operator's ratio and waveshape, as well as individual outputs for each operator. This has the makings for a remakably complex FM voice or group of voices, especially when paired with clever modulation and use of the Algo algorithm expander. Quad Operator provides maybe the best interface for FM synthesis we've ever seen in any format—Eurorack, keyboard, or otherwise.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:47 pm

bigwill wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Ok, note to self - the Algo doesn't save the ratio settings, but only the mod matrix settings, which is a bit of a bummer, but oh well, got to learn the hard way when not reading the manual properly. :lol: Is it not possible to have the Algo save the ratio settings as well? Would make it a lot more useful, in my opinion.
We hear you on this, but we had to limit the functionality to the modulation matrix due to the limited CPU capacity of the device. Blending between full sets of parameters would have required double or more CPU capacity than we have whereas blending just the modulation parameters is considerably less CPU intensive. Perhaps we can account for this in future products.
Oh, I understand, didn't really mean it as critique. :) I have to say I agree with Perfect Circuit - it's an excellent implementation, so hands on and easy and fun to use.

I still haven't gotten around to recording a demo of it, but I will. :mrgreen:

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:47 pm

[video][/video]

Awesome new review from Suture Sound (AKA Andrew Huang)!

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Hi folks,

We're having a giveaway contest for the holidays! Here's how it works:

1) You post a patch video using the Quad Operator on Instagram, tag @humble.audio plus ​​#eurorack #modularsynth #quadoperator

2) We'll pick our two favorite videos on New Year’s Day and send the winners one of these RARE (only 3 ever made) Humble Audio T-shirts. They're a nice soft deep black cotton in size Large (apologies that the only available).

Love ya! Go go go!

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:05 am

Andrew Huang's demo was awesome in all aspects. Swell patching, good run down of a very cool module, and also a nice video production. :party:

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 am

i have immediately fallen in love with this awesome beast of a synth! its probably my favorite module for what it does. i still love my preenfm2 but this bad boy is beyond that in many gorgeous ways. modulation of so many things is a start. this module will be relevant forever. its fm plus whatever you pair it with, which means a literal plethora of outcomes. fm is probably my favorite method of sound generation, and this thing lets you inside fm with your favorite modulation at any point along the way.

cheers!

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 am

solipsvs wrote:i have immediately fallen in love with this awesome beast of a synth! its probably my favorite module for what it does. i still love my preenfm2 but this bad boy is beyond that in many gorgeous ways. modulation of so many things is a start. this module will be relevant forever. its fm plus whatever you pair it with, which means a literal plethora of outcomes. fm is probably my favorite method of sound generation, and this thing lets you inside fm with your favorite modulation at any point along the way.

cheers!
Nice of you to say! :deadbanana: Any patch videos you wanna share?

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:34 pm

i have one embarrassing vid with my initial doodle. dont laugh! its the qo not the preenfm2

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Would it be possible to eventually have an expander the just saves patches of all knob settings without the cross fading function? With all these controls I could see the utility of patch saving of all settings could be very useful.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:15 pm

yeah id be interested in that too

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Yeah a LCD with 99 presets and maybe still have crossfade would be great. If it could take a clock input and work like a sequencer that would also be good for a performance.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:03 am

heres another twiddle dee dumb. i can totally appreciate the strengths of this module! you should hear the rumble comin from this thing. wow. im in love. that squelchy clangerous place where i wanna be! maaaan, fm was never so fun. im resisting buying another one! id sure take one with 8 operators too if youre thinking of that lol

theres a little fm aid in there too btw.

Last edited by solipsvs on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 am

and another

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:35 am

ok an idea: make the algo interpolate between all 4 captures, not just 2!

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Re: quad operator bank by humble audio

Post by Ceres » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Very seriously considering this module. When is the internal VCA/gain issue expected to be fixed? For current owners, how disruptive is this issue?

Is it possible to send individual v/oct to each operator to use as an independent 4 voice module? Edit: I just RFM and realized it can work this way!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Some pretty naughty sounds in that last one, Solypsvs.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:26 pm

This thing is just so bad ass for bass. Goddamn. Really great module. :)

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:26 pm
This thing is just so bad ass for bass. Goddamn. Really great module. :)
shawlis!

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:15 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:36 pm
Yeah a LCD with 99 presets and maybe still have crossfade would be great. If it could take a clock input and work like a sequencer that would also be good for a performance.
if that's doable, a randomize would be great! The randomize on synth editors for subtractive synths was mostly "miss" but for FM synths it often provided a great starting point, at least.
thanks!

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:38 pm

Could not resist any longer and just ordered mine! Next week can't come fast enough!

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:06 am

Had a chance to spend some quality time with the Quad Operator last night. Bit of a learning curve, but nothing a quick trip over to YouTube couldn't clear up. Really loving the subtlety that this thing offers! While of course it can still get into insanely wild territory if you're so inclined! :yay:

solipsvs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solipsvs » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 pm

its rude and refined

Return to “Eurorack Modules”