quad operator bank by humble audio

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Wow! :eek:

This might be the FM voice I've been waiting for! Those Humphrey demos are dOpE!

Please, please, please consider offering a black panel option.

:blacet: :bananallama:

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Batik Rhys wrote:Any way of signing up for some kind of email notification of availability?

Dead keen on this :yay:
Hi Batik Rhys,

We redesigned the website some recently and forgot to keep this bit. I've added it back--scroll to the bottom of the page and you can leave us your email address for future contact over at www.humble.audio

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 pm

Shledge wrote:Is this using yamaha chips or is it DSP based? Wouldn't mind having that old DAC "crunch" that made the likes of the TX81z have character.
This is DSP-based, fully from scratch implementation (which I will open source anyone interested in modifications. Without a DSP-based approach, some of the features of this module would not have been possible.

If you're interested in an FM module that uses the Yamaha chips, I suggest looking at Akemie's Castle which has been around for a few years.

psonp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psonp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 pm

This looks dope! Can't wait to hear it :sb:

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:39 am

I love the open ended architecture, TBH I can’t think of a better design.
:tu:

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 am

bigwill wrote:
Shledge wrote:Is this using yamaha chips or is it DSP based? Wouldn't mind having that old DAC "crunch" that made the likes of the TX81z have character.
This is DSP-based, fully from scratch implementation (which I will open source anyone interested in modifications. Without a DSP-based approach, some of the features of this module would not have been possible.

If you're interested in an FM module that uses the Yamaha chips, I suggest looking at Akemie's Castle which has been around for a few years.
DSP based isn't an issue - only wondering since Akemie's Castle is a larger module. :)

fredke
Common Wiggler

Post by fredke » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 am

How about a more exotic sample rate (like 64KHz) as a compromise ?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 am

fredke wrote:How about a more exotic sample rate (like 64KHz) as a compromise ?
Little point going above 48k in most cases.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 am

Shledge wrote:
In the final rendered audio, yes, but you want the highest resolution and sample rate for internal signal processing.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 am

huffnPuff wrote:
Shledge wrote:
In the final rendered audio, yes, but you want the highest resolution and sample rate for internal signal processing.
The TX81z for example has a samplerate only a tiny bit higher than that, around 55khz. It won't be an issue.

richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Any update on the modular?

bang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bang » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 am

Im also interested in status of this module :)

Shawn56
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Shawn56 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Will this be offered as a diy project? And yes the expander on the mod and index would be a killer thing.

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Shawn56 wrote:Will this be offered as a diy project? And yes the expander on the mod and index would be a killer thing.
I think I will not be offering as a kit unfortunately. The surface mounted parts are very small and challenging to solder. I have not decided just yet as I need to understand how my business will do first, but I may publish hardware specifications for those who want to fab their own PCBs and do the soldering (after I have recovered by development costs and paid some other bills).
Last edited by bigwill on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:07 pm

bang wrote:Im also interested in status of this module :)
The electronics are assembled for the first production batch! We are now waiting on aluminum panels and final custom large scale knobs (for coarse and fine, and crossfade on the algo. not for the thin trim pots we mostly use).

This is still a few more weeks at least. I will post here when I have confidence the precise timing when I can take orders from shops (US possibly CAN) and distributors (EUR and other international), but I expect it to be 2018 for sure. Some additional time will be required for units to flow through distribution channels--I will not be selling units direct to end user initially (I am a one man operator and it is too much work for me right now).

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Shledge wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:
Shledge wrote:
The TX81z for example has a samplerate only a tiny bit higher than that, around 55khz. It won't be an issue.
This I cannot do. I use a microcontroller system on a chip from Standard Micro which has some limitations (but is also really fucking awesome). In my implementation of the hardware, it is important to use something called the Serial Audio Interface (SAI) which enables me to speak with peripheral ICs with very precise and consistent timing and keep all the audio functions both internal and external in as perfect a timing as possible. The SAI only runs at typical audio rates, 48k, 96k, 192k. I can't take another step up as I don't have the CPU headroom.

Further, I think your concern is arguably unfounded :) Aliasing is actually a beautiful part of the FM sound, always has been. And it's, in fact, quite necessary for percussive results. Aliasing issues are much more of a concern in the recording and re-production world, and aren't such a pain point for single source and relatively simple sound sources (not exactly simple, but in the big picture...) like the quad operator (I don't have built in reverb or other "high information" effects for instance, which is often why in-the-box synths often really need high sampling rates). I also put in a lot of effort to band-limit the waveforms, which gets you most of what you want here. And I can also firmware update if there's a need. I think you won't be disappointed!

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:26 pm

These made the rounds from Superbooth last spring, but I thought I'd post them here for your appreciation of you haven't had a chance to see them already!

In no particular order--all are solid interviews and sound demos! Pick your favorite! Although, my "um" rate was out of control with Synthtopia! It was first thing on the final morning of Superbooth, and I didn't really sleep the night before :D. Saturday nights in Berlin, what can I say... Otherwise, a great video!

Synthtopia:
[video][/video]

DivKid:
[video][/video]

sonicstate:
[video][/video]
Last edited by bigwill on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bang » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:10 am

bigwill wrote:distributors (EUR and other international), but I expect it to be 2018 for sure.
These are good news :)

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Are these available anywhere?

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 61050 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:46 pm

they aren't yet that i'm aware of. divkid just posted a video showing this off... looks like i need to find 30hp in my case somewhere. :deadbanana:

seriously, this looks super dope and extremely playable, with is my biggest gripe with dedicated fm synths. the dx synths are basically giant preset machines to me, lol.

i would agree that cv over each pot in the matrix would be killer, but that would add a bunch to the size. this looks perfect otherwise. the expander looks badass too. basically allows you to save three presets (i think?), and then morph between the three presets as well as the live panel. neato!

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi folks,

Apologies for being a bit MIA and setting expectations poorly on the release timing. Doing this for the first time has proved more challenging than believed. In the great words of the terrible Donald Rumsfeld, you've got your known unknowns which bite you sometimes, and then you've got your unknown unknowns....

We pursued a project to make some custom knobs, which took a surprising number of iterations to get right. This kind of laughable matters less for the quad operator than it will for our next module (details forthcoming), but we wanted to establish a consistent design language before proceeding with the quad operator. The good news is--all our electronics and panels are assembled, software is loaded, and we're receiving the knobs very soon. We can now say confidently that Quad Operators will begin shipping wholesale in May!

Yes, as some have mentioned, DivKid has teased the module recently. He's got the first unit with full production detail including a late round like-production set of knobs for coarse and fine tuning as well as crossfade on the Algo.

More content is to come very soon as will pricing details, availability, etc, etc!

[video][/video]
Last edited by bigwill on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Definitely still interested! :tu:

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Sun May 05, 2019 5:18 pm

A great new DivKid doing some FM bass play!

[video][/video]

bigwill
Common Wiggler

Post by bigwill » Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 am

Hey folks,

A couple of things:

Preorders are starting to go live with various online shops in the US, and we expect more to be going live soon in Europe and other parts of the world!

My friend Josh Humphrey joined me at Superbooth this year and gave a nice demo performance made with sounds exclusively from the Quad Operator (including a bank of percussion samples designed and loaded into a Model:Samples beforehand). Check it out:

[video][/video]

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:21 pm

rec'd my tracking # :party:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”