Joranalogue COMPARE 2 - Dual Window Comparator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Joranalogue COMPARE 2 - Dual Window Comparator

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 pm

My problem with this strategy—as it stands—is that the end results aren’t really all that far from using a step sequencer in random mode. There are some differences, but we’re still not really getting motifs. At least, not strong ones. I was hoping that the interaction of the two LFOs would enough, but not yet.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:14 pm

esmooov wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
So here's a video that I quickly patched up to demonstrate. It's not the most beautiful melody in the world and I didn't spend too much time on the sound design but I wanted to demonstrate the nice conjunct motion with occasional leaps.

Basically this patch is: two LFO's from Just Friends mixed together in Planar with joystick animation. The resulting LFO is fed into Compare. A third Just Friends LFO is attenuated and then fed into the Compare shift input. This creates a nice, irregular, slow ON-OFF pattern.

This pattern is fed into Maths with rather slow ramp up and ramp down slew. The slew is slow enough that it only rarely reaches the end or beginning of the cycle when the Compare gate opens or closes. This allows the gate to drive the direction UP/DOWN rather than set the voltage HIGH/LOW.

Then, this is mixed in Maths with a rare gate from Pamelas (Euclidean mode, high skip %) that, when on, will cause a leap up. (I should add an inverse as well for a occasional leaps down).

Finally, the Maths output is fed into the Frame input of Frames to play the melody through whatever scale I tuned up. (You could/should do this with a quantizer but I like the wonky quality of hand-tuning the notes).

Finally, Frames' output is fed into the Pittsburgh v/oct with a little animation on its timbre. This is fed into 100 Grit to make it sound like hot garbage, like I enjoy.

The various knobs abstractly control the melody:
- A bigger scale in Compare increases the frequency of 1st / last notes (perhaps your root)
- Faster slew on Maths makes faster melodic lines. You can step animate this to control when runs occur.
- Changes to the LFOs themselves create entirely different melodic structures.

Hope this is at all interesting!

Best,
Erik
Thanks, cool patch!
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

esmooov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esmooov » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:17 pm

So, I haven't quite gotten the results I want yet, but building on doudoroff's patch revision, I'm starting to get closer, using LFOs from Just Friends [shape-cycle] (or any other adjustable-relation LFO set). I use a trigger into the far right input of Just Friends to sync the LFOs and then grab outs 1 and 4 into the Compare. Now, using the XOR output to drive the pitch contours, I can use the Intone knob to abstractly control the melody. I can use triggers to resync as needed or trigger the LFOs independently to create other variations. Essentially, when the LFOs are synced or closer to sync the pitch stays low. The more out-of-sync they get, the more erratic the contour (higher intone values will cause the speed of the right LFO to become much faster than the left).

But the big takeaway is: sequencing the trigger ins for the LFOs (hard sync) and the Intone allows for deterministic recall of motifs. You could even use a switch to sequence which of the 6 JF LFOs you're using, for further variation.

Anyway, more to explore, but i thought I'd share my experiments and thinking.

Best,
E

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sun May 24, 2020 5:47 am

I think I've been misunderstanding this module, even though it's very cool. I had in mind to send out stems from Assimil8or, and make the "highest volume" point of each one make Compare 2 send out stady gate to trigger another channel, but I seem to get audiorate gates out of Compare 2. Same with Maths. What module do I need to just extract long, steady gate from longer samples (or other signals) once the signal goes over desired threshold?

Otherwise, the potential seem to be endless for this module...

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sun May 24, 2020 6:33 am

droningspaghettimonster wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:47 am
I think I've been misunderstanding this module, even though it's very cool. I had in mind to send out stems from Assimil8or, and make the "highest volume" point of each one make Compare 2 send out stady gate to trigger another channel, but I seem to get audiorate gates out of Compare 2. Same with Maths. What module do I need to just extract long, steady gate from longer samples (or other signals) once the signal goes over desired threshold?
That's what envelope followers are for. Interpose one between your audio source and the Compare 2.

Maths can do this - just patch your source into Channel 1/4's signal input, Rise fully CCW, Fall somewhere in the middle, unity out into the Compare 2.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sun May 24, 2020 11:39 am

thanks! :tu:

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:51 am

any tips for using compare 2 as a normal logic module?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:54 am

droningspaghettimonster wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:51 am
any tips for using compare 2 as a normal logic module?
What do you want to do?

From the manual:
LOGIC FUNCTION ARRAY
If you just need logic functions to combine gate signals in a particular patch, Compare 2 can be used for that as well. In this case, you’ll want to ensure the comparators are inactive when the input signal is 0, and active when it is +5 V. Set the shift knob to maximum and size to the centre position. The window’s edges will now be set at +2.5 V and +7.5 V, reliably activating the comparator on gate signals as long as they do not exceed +7.5 V. Now just patch the outputs as needed.
The shift and size CV inputs can function as additional gate inputs, giving AND or OR functions in combination with the signal input, depending on the window settings. This means a total of 6 gate input signals can be processed for complex logic functions.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks! Already have the manual. Its my first logic module and kinda overwelming... just hoping for patch tricks for making beats on my assimil8or with a clockdivider or marbles. :hihi:
Find it kinda confusing that the both channels interact with one another and slightest knob movements can take the beat out of sync.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 pm

if you s&h any input (cv and actual "input") with some kind of clock before feeding it into the c2 then each output should be also synced.

simplified example:
LFO1 -> S&H1 -> Compare A
LFO2 -> S&H2 -> Compare B

both S&H should be triggered by a clock-related sequence.
change the frequency and shape of the LFOs to get different beats at the logic outputs to trigger the Assimilator or whatever else.
if you reset the LFOs and the triggersequence of the S&Hs at the beginning of the bar then you should get repeating beats.

changing shift and size by hand can result in unsynced beats. But you can use an external CV which should also be synced. Of course you can S&H any logic output of the compare also.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:44 am

I got some nice results with the compare 2 with self patching:

Was looking to find a way to have "rare random gates" from a 16th clock setting up a probability patch.
Noise -> S&H -> Compare.
It should fire very rarely, so the window size of the C2 is very small.

but because the window is so small the C2 almost always closes the gate one 16th after it opens. Kind of boring depending on what you use the gate for (I use it for switching melodies with one channel of the select2, so I definitely need a longer gate than one 16th)

So just use the output of the compare into an attenuator to adjust the average gatelenght into the size input to increase the probability of the output to stay high after it gets high :mrgreen:

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 pm

MvK wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:44 am
I got some nice results with the compare 2 with self patching:

Was looking to find a way to have "rare random gates" from a 16th clock setting up a probability patch.
Noise -> S&H -> Compare.
It should fire very rarely, so the window size of the C2 is very small.
What function is the S&H serving here? Seems like you'd get random gates with just noise into the comparator.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:28 am

electricanada wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 pm

What function is the S&H serving here? Seems like you'd get random gates with just noise into the comparator.
forgot to say that the gates should be synced to the 16th or whatever clock

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:35 pm

MvK wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:28 am
electricanada wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 pm

forgot to say that the gates should be synced to the 16th or whatever clock
So random but in tempo. Understood.

lilskullymane
Common Wiggler

Post by lilskullymane » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:44 pm

hey yall - quick question about this bit from the manual
LOGIC FUNCTION ARRAY
Set the shift knob to maximum and size to the centre position. The window’s edges will now be set at +2.5 V and +7.5 V, reliably activating the comparator on gate signals as long as they do not exceed +7.5 V.
this is the only mention of anything over +5v i’ve seen. if you were to continue increasing the size knob, would the window get to 0 - +10v? likewise, if you turned shift ccw, would you get a -2.5v - -7.5v window? my voltage ranges are a bit all over the place so i want to make sure i have a good understanding of the windowing.

can’t remember where i found this picture, but was able to get this ‘slope detector’ patch working great tonight... awesome module
Attachments
E5B980F3-04FE-434C-B1C7-245EC0B41869.png
E5B980F3-04FE-434C-B1C7-245EC0B41869.png (30.19 KiB) Viewed 715 times

joranalogue
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joranalogue » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:07 am

lilskullymane wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:44 pm
this is the only mention of anything over +5v i’ve seen. if you were to continue increasing the size knob, would the window get to 0 - +10v? likewise, if you turned shift ccw, would you get a -2.5v - -7.5v window? my voltage ranges are a bit all over the place so i want to make sure i have a good understanding of the windowing.

can’t remember where i found this picture, but was able to get this ‘slope detector’ patch working great tonight... awesome module
That's correct.

Keep in mind that you don't need an inverter + and gate to create a slope detector as in the image; a single window comparator will suffice. Simply set the shift knob halfway to the envelope's maximum voltage, and the size in such a way that the window fits just within the envelope's bounds.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

lilskullymane
Common Wiggler

Post by lilskullymane » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:16 pm

joranalogue wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:07 am
Keep in mind that you don't need an inverter + and gate to create a slope detector as in the image; a single window comparator will suffice. Simply set the shift knob halfway to the envelope's maximum voltage, and the size in such a way that the window fits just within the envelope's bounds.
makes sense, thanks!

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:37 pm

i've got a d->a module to extract gates from audio signals, but finding it a bit unreliable. this looks like the perfect replacement.

joranalogue
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joranalogue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 am

Here's a fun application for C2: dual set/reset latch. Each window comparator can be used as a latch. Assuming +5 V gate/trigger signals are used for set and reset, turn the shift knob to its minimum position and size to 3 o’clock. Next, connect the output to the size CV input. A rising edge applied to the shift CV input will set the latch, while one on the signal input will reset it.

Note that unlike a real S/R latch, there is no invalid state: rather, set will take priority. Also, since the not output is unused, you can simply use this as the latch output, in which case set and reset are swapped (and reset takes priority).

Enjoy! This patch idea has now also been added to the user manual.
Last edited by joranalogue on Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:12 am

Neat trick!

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:57 pm

This module has become one of my most-used favourite modules, but for months it went mostly ignored, obscured by a fog of confusion. This forum thread and some folks on DivKids Patreon (also DivKids amazing patch examples video) really helped me click with it. I thought I'd make a video to go over more of a step-by-step of how the thing works in a concise short video, maybe this is useful if other people have found themselves like me a bit lost with it.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:05 pm

mikmanner wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:57 pm
This module has become one of my most-used favourite modules, but for months it went mostly ignored, obscured by a fog of confusion. This forum thread and some folks on DivKids Patreon (also DivKids amazing patch examples video) really helped me click with it. I thought I'd make a video to go over more of a step-by-step of how the thing works in a concise short video, maybe this is useful if other people have found themselves like me a bit lost with it.

great video! :tu: :tu:

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:39 am

johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johannes » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:49 am

yes michael, nice one!
good hint using c2 to track specific v/oct ranges…
please do more.

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:26 am

johannes wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:49 am
yes michael, nice one!
good hint using c2 to track specific v/oct ranges…
please do more.
Nice one! Yeah I have another video in the pipe showing more examples with it, plus a vid about using dual Filter 8's :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”