New Module: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:22 pm

goldi
Common Wiggler

Post by goldi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:15 pm

insoul8 wrote:Possibly shipping this month! https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... y-2nd-2019
Can you link me to a pre-order page? I can't seem to find it on your site. Thanks..

Goldi

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:27 pm

goldi wrote:
insoul8 wrote:Possibly shipping this month! https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... y-2nd-2019
Can you link me to a pre-order page? I can't seem to find it on your site. Thanks..

Goldi
I have nothing to do with this company. I was just sharing their new post. As far as i know, there are no pre-orders yet though. They probably want to get this upcoming batch out first if I had to guess.

goldi
Common Wiggler

Post by goldi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:36 pm

insoul8 wrote:I have nothing to do with this company. I was just sharing their new post. As far as i know, there are no pre-orders yet though. They probably want to get this upcoming batch out first if I had to guess.
Ha sorry :doh: You sound super official

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Sweet! Thanks for posting. :)

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 am

Rabid Elephant wrote:Finished up with the CM. Training and the cal/test procedures went very well, albeit lots of work! Also worked on some updates to the cal trimming to accommodate wider part variations. So we're all good and the first 20 units were were tested against my gold standard reference NG for sound and they match up perfectly! We also created additional references so we have some redundancy.

The are planning to run the remaining batch in another week after which, we'll be ready to start shipping em on out to folks!

Thanks again for the continued patience!
https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general/natural-gate-manufacturing-status-update-july-24th-2020

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:13 am

Triglav wrote:
Rabid Elephant wrote:Finished up with the CM. Training and the cal/test procedures went very well, albeit lots of work! Also worked on some updates to the cal trimming to accommodate wider part variations. So we're all good and the first 20 units were were tested against my gold standard reference NG for sound and they match up perfectly! We also created additional references so we have some redundancy.

The are planning to run the remaining batch in another week after which, we'll be ready to start shipping em on out to folks!

Thanks again for the continued patience!
https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general/natural-gate-manufacturing-status-update-july-24th-2020
Sweet! Thanks for sharing. :)

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:42 am

Is there a pre-order list?

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:51 am

I see talk of pre-orders, even on their website, but do not see how or where to pre-order.

It's late (5am now), maybe I just missed it... Anyone? Bueller?

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 am

BlinkyLights wrote:I see talk of pre-orders, even on their website, but do not see how or where to pre-order.

I think they said somewhere that they are going to wait to sell out this batch before taking pre-orders for the next. A couple retailers ordered extra quantity (Schneiders and Signal Sounds i think) so you might be able to get on one of their lists.

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 am

insoul8 wrote:
BlinkyLights wrote:I see talk of pre-orders, even on their website, but do not see how or where to pre-order.

I think they said somewhere that they are going to wait to sell out this batch before taking pre-orders for the next. A couple retailers ordered extra quantity (Schneiders and Signal Sounds i think) so you might be able to get on one of their lists.
They also plan to have them for order on their own site. So might be worth checking in often to see if the Buy button becomes available.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Okay. Thanks all.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:55 am

Sorry for the delays on here - latest manufacturing updates will always be on our site, then here/FB, etc.

For us, preorders are for reserving a spot in the manufacturing batch which is why we ask for pre-payment.

Where we sell: direct, from us, on our site; SchneidersLaden (they ordered *a lot* from this batch); and SignalSounds (also ordered a bunch!). The retailers may do their own lists/preorders, idk - check with them for that.

Most of the time has been spent designing an 'ATE' system for calibration and testing. The way it is now is that a machine will run though combinations of IO and stimulus and record the resulting audio. They then send me the audio files with a unit tag for each. I listen to all modules with proper monitors in a quiet area and provide them a pass/fail criterion. This is for the audio testing, which I am not comfortable having other people do due to the qualitative nature of this test. The calibration is quantitative and much easier for other folks to perform. This got revamped and improved for repeatability and removal of potentials for operator error. I spent several days at the facility working with 20 units initial test run we could, check, refine and train with. All of this went well enough for me to pull the trigger on the full run which they are running any day now.

I, again, do not know exactly how many units is enough in this game, but this is the largest run. We could have not done more at this time unless we stagnated all other machine development which we do not wish to do. If they sell out again 'quickly', the nice thing is that we are now set up to much more quickly turn batches over. We are already in the works of setting up the next batch of units and will open up pre-orders for a window of about 1 month before giving the go on this batch. This window will open if all other units are sold out from us. So less patience will be required. We are definitely getting close to some semblance of stability.

Copied from recent update today...:
In other news, I've been daydreaming a lot about the kick module... I was not entirely happy with it - not in terms of sound, but its role in a modular context. So the kick module is getting lots of improvements and changes from what was displayed at SB. Our sequencer application code will also begin once I finish up the initial hardware. We are investigating having custom switches manufactured specifically for how we would like this UI to feel, which on this machine is extraordinarily important. We feel the sequencer is our most exciting bit of novelty to offer the musical world and so we want to get this flowing in development (but mostly, we just just want to use it ourselves!).

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:26 am

Thanks for the answer PM33AUD

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 am

PM33AUD wrote:Sorry for the delays on here - latest manufacturing updates will always be on our site, then here/FB, etc.

For us, preorders are for reserving a spot in the manufacturing batch which is why we ask for pre-payment.

Where we sell: direct, from us, on our site; SchneidersLaden (they ordered *a lot* from this batch); and SignalSounds (also ordered a bunch!). The retailers may do their own lists/preorders, idk - check with them for that.

Most of the time has been spent designing an 'ATE' system for calibration and testing. The way it is now is that a machine will run though combinations of IO and stimulus and record the resulting audio. They then send me the audio files with a unit tag for each. I listen to all modules with proper monitors in a quiet area and provide them a pass/fail criterion. This is for the audio testing, which I am not comfortable having other people do due to the qualitative nature of this test. The calibration is quantitative and much easier for other folks to perform. This got revamped and improved for repeatability and removal of potentials for operator error. I spent several days at the facility working with 20 units initial test run we could, check, refine and train with. All of this went well enough for me to pull the trigger on the full run which they are running any day now.

I, again, do not know exactly how many units is enough in this game, but this is the largest run. We could have not done more at this time unless we stagnated all other machine development which we do not wish to do. If they sell out again 'quickly', the nice thing is that we are now set up to much more quickly turn batches over. We are already in the works of setting up the next batch of units and will open up pre-orders for a window of about 1 month before giving the go on this batch. This window will open if all other units are sold out from us. So less patience will be required. We are definitely getting close to some semblance of stability.

Copied from recent update today...:
In other news, I've been daydreaming a lot about the kick module... I was not entirely happy with it - not in terms of sound, but its role in a modular context. So the kick module is getting lots of improvements and changes from what was displayed at SB. Our sequencer application code will also begin once I finish up the initial hardware. We are investigating having custom switches manufactured specifically for how we would like this UI to feel, which on this machine is extraordinarily important. We feel the sequencer is our most exciting bit of novelty to offer the musical world and so we want to get this flowing in development (but mostly, we just just want to use it ourselves!).
Very cool. This is endlessly fascinating, to me. And one thing is certain, your dedication and approach themselves are admirable and exactly the kind of things that attracts me to a maker. Very interested in seeing and playing one of these myself. Will buy one for sure.

Will be following closely now.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:31 am

There was a manufacturing update on these posted on the Rabid Elephants website on the 9th of August.

Heyo!

In assembly and QC as a few nearly-finished units come on down the line!
As always thanks for patience - they will be shipping soon!

https://rabidelephant.com/blogs/general ... t-9th-2020

:mrgreen: :party:

HBCoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by HBCoffin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:50 pm

I absolutely love mine. I wanted to share a recent composition featuring a couple of these wonderful modules. I won't go too deep into patch notes. The percussive melodies are generated by the Furthrrrr Generator and the FOLD model of 3 Braids, their timbres colored and shaped by the Natural Gates. A bit of reverb is being provided by an Erbe Verb, and tape echo effects are emulated by a Magneto. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by HBCoffin on Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:50 pm

HBCoffin wrote:I absolutely love mine. I wanted to share a recent composition featuring a couple of these wonderful modules. I won't go too deep into patch notes. The percussive melodies are generated by the Furthrrrr Generator and the FOLD model of 3 Braids, their timbres colored and shaped by the Natural Gates. A bit of reverb is being provided by an Erbe Verb, and tape echo effects are emulated by a Magneto. Hope you enjoy.
Beautiful! I love those percussive melodies. So Furthrrrr is one voice, and then three are Braids. Does the Furthrrrr stand out to your ears? (I can't tell since I don't know which is which)...

Wonderfully generative... it has that perfect balance between being somewhat unpredictable and staying within certain limits.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:14 pm

HBCoffin wrote:I absolutely love mine. I wanted to share a recent composition featuring a couple of these wonderful modules. I won't go too deep into patch notes. The percussive melodies are generated by the Furthrrrr Generator and the FOLD model of 3 Braids, their timbres colored and shaped by the Natural Gates. A bit of reverb is being provided by an Erbe Verb, and tape echo effects are emulated by a Magneto. Hope you enjoy.

[video][/video]
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

HBCoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by HBCoffin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 am

BlinkyLights wrote:Very nice. Thanks for posting.
Anytime! :tu:
j_dowe wrote:Beautiful! I love those percussive melodies. So Furthrrrr is one voice, and then three are Braids. Does the Furthrrrr stand out to your ears? (I can't tell since I don't know which is which)...

Wonderfully generative... it has that perfect balance between being somewhat unpredictable and staying within certain limits.
Thank you very much. That is precisely what I strive to achieve when arranging compositions such as these.

I attempted to shape the Furthrrrr Generator's wave so that all 4 voices sound related, as though they are part of the same family but with slight variations in tone. The Furthrrrr Generator sounds a bit brighter and a tad more rich to my ears, but I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to the quality of the module's components, it being analog or anything like that. I simply synthesized it that way. Its voice can be heard every time the leftmost Natural Gate channel rings (the orange LED illuminates). The nature of the sound is more distinguishable when the gate opens up.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:11 am

[video][/video]
Lovely work. Great patch! :tu: how do you like Klang?

HBCoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by HBCoffin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Daisuk wrote:Lovely work. Great patch! :tu: how do you like Klang?
Thanks a lot. The Klang is very nice, but I believe a revision to how CV is processed at the direction input would be extremely beneficial. I discuss my thoughts on the current firmware and hopes for future updates here:

viewtopic.php?t=201472&start=60

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:58 pm

HBCoffin wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Lovely work. Great patch! :tu: how do you like Klang?
Thanks a lot. The Klang is very nice, but I believe a revision to how CV is processed at the direction input would be extremely beneficial. I discuss my thoughts on the current firmware and hopes for future updates here:

viewtopic.php?t=201472&start=60
Cool, thanks for sharing. :)

A new production update on the NG today:

We ran into a little hiccup at our CM - they wore down the jack nut installation tools I supplied! The tips of these were brass so I quickly had some new ones CNC'd out of stainless. They have given me an updated completion date of Sept 7th (2019 :D )

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm

https://www.signalsounds.com/rabid-elep ... ate-module

in stock in case someone on the forum is looking for this module.

LexTron6K
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LexTron6K » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:57 am

I've been very anxiously checking my inbox for that shipping notification all week. THE SUSPENSE!

Has anybody here gotten their shipping notification yet?
Fear is the mind-killer.

http://www.IOSISdrone.com

Return to “Eurorack Modules”